[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is the Phantasy Star series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: phantasystaralis.png (190KB, 248x774px) Image search: [Google]
phantasystaralis.png
190KB, 248x774px
I am looking into getting into the Phantasy Star series. I heard the fourth installment is pretty much the best RPG on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.

However, I have heard mixed things on the three preceding installments.

The third one gets pretty much lambasted as being unfinished at best, bad at worst.

The second one is considered dated, but decent when it was originally released. Many say it has aged poorly.

The first one has the same problem as the second one, but at least has the novelty of being a showcase of the Sega Master System's power (both it and Final Fantasy were released in the same month, they don't even look like they are from the same gen despite both being on 8-bit consoles).

Aside from PSIV, what other installment is the best one to play?
>>
Check the catalog first, you fucking moron.
>>
File: wojakpepecarfeelz.png (108KB, 630x686px) Image search: [Google]
wojakpepecarfeelz.png
108KB, 630x686px
>>3501649
That topic talked about characters, clown.
>>
>>3501649
Are you talking about >>3491029? That's a completely different topic.

>>3501648
Try 1. Either the SMS Power patch with activated FM or the Phantasy Star Collection for the Playstation 2.
1 has a big advantage over 2 since the dungeons are first person and overall the graphics are nicer despite the MD's bigger prowess.
>>
>>3501680
I only have the Virtual Console to get another Phantasy Star title. That is why I asked for another one aside from IV. Its a shame considering the FM chip does make the first Phantasy Star's soundtrack nicer.
>>
>>3501676
>>3501680
Either way, he could've looked in that thread and saw the post that asks the same question as the OP did.

Pointless thread.
>>
>>3501716
And risk getting spoilered?
>>
>>3501716
See
>>3501719
>>
Any more to say?
>>
>>3502374
Your mum is a Dezolian.
>>
File: psmotavians.jpg (105KB, 519x333px) Image search: [Google]
psmotavians.jpg
105KB, 519x333px
Looks like the other thread fell off. This is our PS thread now. Posting Motavian genocide, lest we forget.
>>
>>3501648
Phantasy Star 1 is still amazing, exploitable mechanics, and a big world that has lots of secrets if you want to get to the very, very, very end.

Play it.
>>
If I had to rate them,

PS4 > PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PSG
>>
Phantasy Star, especially 1 & 2 will fucking punish you. If you've never played a "hard" rpg with a steep curve, they could be a good intro to that kind of experience but if you don't want that use a guide.
>>
>>3503205
>caring about sand people

Welp, guess I'll head back to /pol/, then.
>>
>>3501648
>masterpiece tier
Phantasy Star IV

>great tier
Phantasy Star (recommended you use FM Sound and translation patch (with localized names and spell names reverted))

>good for what it is but feels unfinished tier
Phantasy Star III

>I don't like it tier
Phantasy Star II (haven't tried any of the patches on rh.net, maybe I'll try them sometime)
>>
>>3503709
Phantasy Star 2 isn't hard, it's just got reaaaaally long dungeons.
>>
>>3501710
softmod your wii and use emulators for everything that isn't n64.
>>
>>3503967
It's not just the size, it's the vertical design where you constantly have to change floors.
The top down perspective makes it nearly impossible to properly map that stuff as the overlap is critical.
>>
>>3504012
It's possible but hard. Thankfully the floors mostly have the same size, like in Climatrol.
>>
>>3503967
I'm curious what a hard RPG would be, then. Most RPGs (PSII included) can be neutered of their difficulty if you grind. Early DQ and FF games are like that. Obviously action RPGs can have a different kind of difficulty.

I feel like the size, length, and complexity of PSII's dungeons combined with its lack of more modern concessions like fast-travel and maps makes for a pretty long and difficult challenge. If you say PSII isn't a hard RPG, then what is? Or are you saying it isn't a hard game compared to other, non-RPGs?
>>
>>3504025
PSI was more enjoyable for me if only because it was easier to map.
>>
Reminder that the Phantasy Star remake sucks. It ruins the aesthetic, holds your hand, and kills the atmosphere.
>>
>>3504045
I'm glad PSIII or PSIV didn't get remakes like them then (though PSIV was originally supposed to), but man what I'd do to have the third game remade
>>
Cool new cover of Behind the Circuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akPDj4f_2bU

Same guy redid the first dungeon theme from OG Phantasy Star, both its SMS FM and PSIV versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1T3UU_nk8

>>3504045
I wish they could have kept the (forced?) rural designs of Palman/Motavian towns outside (sea)walls, but the new, sometimes unique town graphics are nice. Character portraits are good too, not sure about the script.
>>
>>3504026
A hard RPG would be Wizardry 4.

> No EXP from battles, you level up once per floor of the 10 floor dungeon
> Mechanics are based on D&D and your one character starts with 8s for all stats (which is to say, your stats suck) and your stats increase by 1 for each level gained, so they never get good
> There are enemies that insta kill you on crit
> There are enemies that permanently reduce your level on hit
> There are enemies that can steal critical, plot required items, making the game impossible to finish
> The entire game is turn based, with grid based movement, expect for the ghost that chases you the entire game who moves in real time and if he catches you you are insta dead
> Your total number of key strokes is limited. Even invalid input counts against the limit, and if you hit the limit, yep, you die
> Enemy groups are based on real player parties from the previous 3 games that people sent in to Sir Tech. People like to power level. Power leveled parties will fuck your day, you weak ass, shitty stated twigley bitch of a mage.
> Grid based first person cRPG wherein some dungeon floors do not conform to euclidean geometry just to fuck with your ability to draw a map
> To get the best ending you need to be steeped in Jewish mysticism, specifically the tree of life, and be able to name what each of its ten nodes correspond to. There are no hints about this in the game, you're not told you are being questioned about the tree of life, and the game developers got several of the nodes wrong
> On the final dungeon level you are asked to recall a passage from the end of Wizardry 1, so if you haven't already beaten that you are fucked
>>
>>3505326
oh, and:
> When you save your game all enemies on that level respawn
>>
>>3505326
I haven't played it but a lot of that sounds irritating, not hard.

>Insta-kill on crit, level down on crit, steal key items, etc.
That's one of those things that's bullshit, not hard. Rolling a die and landing a 20 isn't hard, just unlikely. Slot machines aren't hard.

>Jewish mysticism
Arbitrary knowledge isn't hard, either. If the game popped up a dialogue box asking for the first 10 men on the moon you'd say it was a bullshit question, but not a difficult one, because you know it, or you don't. You can look it up easily (nowadays), but it is "unsolvable" in that, without being told the answer, you cannot arrive to it on your own.

>Wizardry 1 callback
Same as above: arcane nonsense. Again, I haven't played it, but is the part from Wizardry 1 memorable in any way? Like, if I beat W1 and then played W4 a year later would I know what to do? If so, possibly a neat throwback. If not, total horseshit.

>Non-euclidean maps, limited input amounts, enemies respawn
Totally sounds hard and possibly reasonable. I'd say those stand out as being different from the shit above.

If all of the things you said are true then it sounds like W4 is bad game design, not hard game design.

Further, it's a bunch of "Oh, 100° ain't hot; I'm from Arizona, let me tell you about hot..." Two things can both be harder. If that stuffs says "challenging" to you (in W4), cool. But that doesn't mean PSII isn't difficult by any regular, even semi-modern definition of RPG difficulty.
>>
>>3504045
I don't think the remake of 2 is that bad.
You can have backgrounds in fights and disable the tubes.
>>
>>3505326
>>3505335
>>3505337
Not trying to be a dick, just thinking out loud about how RPG difficulty is different from other games.
>>
>>3505345
PSII is certainly a hard game. And I 100% agree, most of the things Wizardry 4 did were absofuckinglutly retarded. The developers set out to create the hardest RPG on the market, and even ignoring the stuff that's just plain horseshit, it's still an incredibly difficult game. That anyone has ever finished it astounds me.

That said I'd say PSII is hard while still being a fair game. If you prepare well and take your time you'll come out on top.

Wizardry 4 is difficult to the point of being unfair. It doesn't matter how well you prepare, how clever your strats are, because 99% of the time you're going to get fucked regardless.
>>
>>3501648
I love PSII. One of my favorite games ever, though I've never actually finished it. One of these days.
>>
>>3504045
Original Phantasy Star was "Lutz, kill it", don't delude yourself.
>>
File: zombie-animated.gif (120KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
zombie-animated.gif
120KB, 500x650px
>>3503630
>PSG
WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT GAME HERE.
>>
>>3505380
Holy shit
that's terrifying
post more spooky
>>
>>3501648

How is the series? Dated, obviously, but in my opinion very good. I've played them all in this order: 2, 3, (then a twenty year gap), 4, and 1.

The reason I mention the 20 year gap is that I found PS4 every bit as enjoyable as an adult, as I did PS2 as a child. So my love of the games isn't entirely down to nostalgia.

PS1 is the most innovative and, for its time, technically impressive, and PS4 is the most accessible and "fun".

PS2 is my favourite because its very polished and logical - all the elements, graphics sound gameplay and story, all fit together really well, and its much harder and more open than the other games. You've given very scanty explanation of where to go and what to do, you have to do the work to find and solve the mazes, and don't usually know what you're looking for until you find it.

I have a soft spot for PS3 due to the great story and music and suggest you should play it in spite of the crummy graphics.

You should play them in order, if you can. They follow the history of a solar system and its people and each game will have more impact if you've played the previous ones.
>>
>>3505380
Not gonna lie, I actually found Gaiden to be enjoyable.
I remember nothing of the game, including the character's name, bit I know I some fun with it.
>>
>>3505326
what is the point of wizardry 4

i never got why that game was ever well received
>>
>>3505693
It's the dark souls of turn based RPGs.
>>
>>3505843
i hope that answer is parody
>>
>>3505876
Of course. That title belongs to a game like DDDA or SMT4.
>>
>>3505376
The character and enviornment design changes alone ruin it. It doesn't look like a Kodama game.
>>
>>3503630
This. 1's my favorite, but 4 is more polished. The VNs for 2 are more entertaining than the actual game.
>>
>>3507954
Huh? Oh, you mean the text adventures.
Please don't degrade them by comparing them to visual novels. As simple as they are, they're actual games, not digital picture books.
>>
File: Alisa Landale.png (352KB, 640x901px) Image search: [Google]
Alisa Landale.png
352KB, 640x901px
What happened to Alis in the remake? Her hair lost all volume, her cuirass became a shirt, and she was portrayed more cutely, standard anime styled.
>>
>>3512081
Time.
The standard of animu can change over 20 years, and vidya is no exception
>>
>>3512081
Artist changed, and they decided to include expression portraits. I like that more than occasionally seeing her using the same expression in cinematics. Shame about the hair though.
>>
>>3505345
Most video game difficulty comes from needing good reflexes and or timing. RPGs and other turn based games can't rely on that so they try other things. Also not all games, RPGs in particular always set out with high difficulty as a goal. Many JRPGs get put down for being easy, but that's an intentional part of their design.
>>
File: 1333548559262.gif (361KB, 174x172px) Image search: [Google]
1333548559262.gif
361KB, 174x172px
>>3505887
>Pretending Monster Hunter's insane success wasn't the obvious influence for both DD and DS.

Whew game journalists are stupid sometimes.
>>
>>3505843
Why are you here? You can't think of a retro game that would work as an example? You do know that all of the games came before dark souls right? Stop using non-vr shit in discussions, its retarded. I'd go to /v/ if I wanted to hear people jizzing themselves over that game.
>>
>>3512625
That was his attempt at humor, anon.
>>
>>3505326
The save system in Wizardry 4 is easier than in 1-3 where it automatically saved after every step.
I guess they realized that they needed to give the player at least some help.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.