[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C&C was better than Warcraft 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: post-118491-1366961604.jpg (117KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
post-118491-1366961604.jpg
117KB, 500x250px
Warcraft 2 was good and all but in retrospect Command and Conquer was better. Orcs and Humans had identical units, except casters. There was no difference between Orc Soldier and Human soldier, ogre and knight, etc.

Command and Conquer both factions had different units that played differently.
>>
>>3501357
Warcraft 2 had far superior editor
>>
>>3501357
Warcraft 2 had far superior music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl4slGxY8U
>>
>>3501368
Warcraft 2's compositions were effective but fairly generic video game background music. The C&C franchise was pretty original in the way it combined goofy 90s rock and techno into a strategy game. I find the tunes from C&C and Red Alert very memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiUNNfYGM9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAMZfXpjgw
>>
>>3501361
>>3501368

Warcraft 2 wasnt bad. IMO it had better story, and it had good editor as you said. The voices were funny and it had cooler cinematic.

However, C&C was the far superior strategy game. The sides were different, there was actually different tactics, and some of the stuff you could do like take over buildings with engineers or blow them up with commando was crazy for the time. There was a lot more ways to solve a problem.

Also Command and Conquer was more original. Warcraft has cool setting but it is just stolen warhammer.
>>
>>3501357
underage faggot detected.

The widely agreed consensus back in the 90s was that Warcraft had better multi, while C&C had far superior single player.

It wasn't until RA2 that multiplayer became good in C&C. Until then it was horribly unbalanced, and everything had so much health that the only way to do real damage was to spam hundreds of the same units.

>>3501394
>Warcraft 2 ... had cooler cinematic.

Show me one cinematic in the entire game that was cooler than the scene where Kane introduces himself to you by shooting his 2nd in command Seth in the head and then congratulating you on your promotion.
>>
>>3501394
>and some of the stuff you could do like take over buildings with engineers or blow them up with commando was crazy for the time.
Didn't Dune 2 had something of the sort?

I think the games were going for different things. C&C felt more multidimensional than Warcraft, with tactical stakes that are achieved gradually and slowly. The C&C plot and concept were also a lot more mature. Warcraft however also had its unique aspects such as naval and air battles (which would be added on Red Alert to a more satisfying degree), and included some nice mechanics like spells, abilities, etc. Warcraft is a bit more like a beat'em up where C&C is more like a strategy or management game.
I think C&C wins in concept and character while Warcraft wins in mechanics and gameplay. Warcraft 2 (unlike 1 and certainly 3) also had sense of humor, something that edgy C&C lacked.
>>
>>3501403
The first RA had solid multi tho.
>>
>>3501394
c&c original

hahaghahaaafhd

hahahaaadaaahhaaa

no
>>
>>3501403
>>
C&C was just a reskin of Dune 2 with the most interesting faction cut.

The Warcraft series was unique and innovative.
>>
>>3501418
>C&C was just a reskin of Dune 2
Then what's Dark Reign?
>>
>>3501418

I disagree about it being Unique. It was just ripoff of Warhammer IP. Starcraft is a scaled down ripoff of Warhammer 40k.

Even Diablo rips a lot of Games Workshop.

I am surprised Blizzard hasnt been sued. It also stole Dunes formula. I applaud Blizzard for making so much money just stealing from others.
>>
>>3501427
A cheatcode in AoE that lets archers disguise as trees.
>>
>>3501430
Blizzard are hacks as humanely possible but the first Diablo has amazing designs.
>>
>>3501436
The first Diablo was developed by Condor, not Synapse.
>>
>>3501435
Hmmm DR has a unit that's able to camouflage as a tree. Was AoE released before DR? Both games are from 1997 imo.
>>
>>3501357
Warcraft didn't become good until 3 which isn't retro.
>>
>>3501453
I had more fun playing Warcraft 2 than 3. The large focus on the heroes was a mistake.
>>
>>3501462
How do you feel about Beyond the Dark Portal?
>>
>>3501427
a bit better than C&C and it had a cool story

until DR2...
>>
>>3501463
The heroes there are only normal units with higher stats.
>>
>>3501403
>The widely agreed consensus back in the 90s was that Warcraft had better multi,

That's what it comes down to. There was no need to balance WC2, because the sides were basically the same and the maps a lot more symmetric, making it better for competitive play.

But competitive RTS is for faggots. It prioritises build orders and micro over exploration and improvisation.
>>
I think I would still play War2 today if it wasn't so...I don't know.."solved"?

Everyone plays on GoW, knows to block off their base and potential expansions. harvest like crazy while making a little wall of grunts to play footsies with until you have an ogre magi army. then you just blood lust and attack move.

I think people would rather die than play on an island map or consider other strategies. Since nothing defeats those goddamn piece of shit ogre-magi.
>>
>>3501852
UARAAAAARRGH for 50 minutes
- every WC2 match
>>
I fucking loved both games as a kid. They both have excellent soundtracks, storytelling and small details.

I have really fond memories with playing CC with my dad and WC2 with my uncle.

Just the small little things in the voices lines and sounds in make me rattle with nostalgia.

Mechanical Man and "We're going to have to act" song, hell march

Most of the wc2 songs

I was always into military stuff because of these games. Both medieval and modern. I draw battles of either game. I'd draw death knights or ogres, the buildings. I pretended destroy buildings in my backyard. I had a wild imagination.

Choosing a favorite just comes down to me preferring swords, arrows and magic to guns, grenades and missles.
>>
If we're going to go into calling fantasy scenarios ripoffs, why aren't people saying that Warhammer just "ripped off" Tolkein?
>>
>>3505645
Because Tolkien ripped off folklore.
>>
>>3505645

Warhammer probably ripped of Dungeons and Dragons. Tolkien lived in a very one dimensional universe. The elves were good, hence they were tall and strong, the orcs were evil, so they were stunted and weak. I don't know whether D&D were the first to reinterpret them as agile manlets and hulking brutes, but they came before Warhammer.
>>
>>3505645

Because warhammer has original concepts, Tolkien doesnt. And Warhammer rips off lots of various sources, and adds some originality. Warcraft was literally going to be a warhammer game, but it fell through so they just changed the names of Warhammer stuff. It is literally Warhammer.

Starcraft is a little better as they stole their ideas from 40k but had the decency to scale it down and make it less cool.
>>
>>3501385
I completely agree. I haven't played c&c in years and I still vividly remember tracks like Act on Instinct or Target. wc2's music is just bland epicness
>>
>>3506637
Dude, 40K rips off every action-sci fi franchise to ever exist in every possible medium.
>>
>>3501357
No
>>
>>3501357
All I know is that we are going to have to act if we want to live in a different world.
>>
>>3501430
>>3501436
>>3501394
http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow
>>
>>3510163
Get a load of this humongous faggot linking to shittaku. You should be ashamed of yourself
>>
>>3501368
Haha no, c&c has a god tier soundtracks
>>
>>3501430
Don't forget that StarCraft is essentially a WH40k game.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.