[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repair/Mod General - GameTechWiki - I'm not dead edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 26

File: Gtw_mario.png (101KB, 684x629px) Image search: [Google]
Gtw_mario.png
101KB, 684x629px
It's been a while, but let's get this started again. The site recently had some technical issues, but now it's back up.

Repairs. Mods. Technical questions. Bring 'em here.

http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Main_Page
>>
I'll gladly bump you.
>>
>>3501151
I'm not saying anyone's entitled to anything, but it's a dick move to take the site down and not tell people what's going on.

Also I hope there's someone getting backups of the wiki now in case this shit happens again.
>>
>>3502224
The site went down without my knowing. I've been distracted lately - finishing up a PhD - and I wasn't paying attention. My bad. It's back up now, and I plan to keep it that way.
>>
>>3502286
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the site. I work on the /emugen/ side of the wiki but I can make monthly backups of both just to be safe.

More on topic, does anyone have a good tutorial for soldering? I have a controller that needs fixing but I've never done it before. Also have no idea what I should be looking for in a soldering iron
>>
>>3502301
I apologize for my recent neglect. I almost don't want to ask, but how long was the site down? I've never had the site just randomly stop working before, so I kept paying the bill and assumed all was good. Lesson learned.

I can't recommend a good soldering tutorial (or at least I can't find the one I used), but as for soldering irons, it depends on if you're willing to make an investment. One of those cheap RadioShack soldering irons will work fine for a lot of repairs, but if you think you may end up doing more of these repairs in the future, you should invest in a temperature-controlled unit which comes with interchangeable tips. I received an X-Tronic model 4010 as a gift a couple years ago, and it's drastically improved the quality of all the electronic work I've done since. The RadioShack one is I think around $20, while the one I have is closer to $80.
>>
>>3502324
>but how long was the site down?
Went down August 21st IIRC, so 3 and a half weeks.
>>
>>3502324
Looks like it went down around Aug. 24th
>>
File: 1450921406289.jpg (29KB, 398x356px) Image search: [Google]
1450921406289.jpg
29KB, 398x356px
>>3502336
>>3502337
Wow, nearly a month, well fuck me.
>>
Has anyone just have a cart die?

I was playing my NES Final Fantasy yesterday and left it in my NES. Then today I come back to it and it won't boot. It goes into a black screen and I hear a "click" after a few seconds.

This is just fucking strange, because it was working fine, and I didn't even touch it and now it just shit itself. SNES isn't dead either, I just tested it with Chrystalis and it worked first try.
>>
When I tighten too much the screws that secure the PCB of my NES my games show glitchy graphics.

Any ideas what is going on?
>>
>>3502470
Ok I may be wrong. It boots into the intro screen of CHrystalis then just hangs...

Fuck me man... how could my RGB NES die.
>>
>>3502476
Maybe the screws are bending or making contact with one of the traces?
>>
Are there any good uses for MSU-1 on SD2SNES? It seems like it's all just patches for bad, almost fanfic tier music. Are there any arcade ports, FMV games, or actually cool shit you can do with it?
>>
>>3503518
>Are there any arcade ports, FMV games
Super Road Blaster.
>>
>>3503530
>laserdisc video game
This is the first I've heard of this. How does that even work, weren't LD analog?

>>3503518
Also, there's that BS Zelda recreation thing.
>>
>>3503679
LD video is 100% analog, with redbook CD digital sound.
>>
>>3503679
The video has been digitized and converted in a way so the SNES can stream it into the VRAM at like 24fps or so, also a SD card fast enough is needed (max. access time shorter than 1ms, can be checked in the system information in SD2SNES menu).
The video quality is worse than VHS but it's still better than the Sega CD version.
>>
>>3503703
>>3503729
I meant like how did the original arcade machine even do it? It would have to be digital at some point for it to even be able to draw over it, wouldn't it? What exactly did MAME do to dump them?

Are you sure they didn't use some non-standard digital encoding?
>>
>>3503934
>It would have to be digital at some point for it to even be able to draw over it, wouldn't it?

Turn on your crt and change the channel or turn up the volume
>>
how to repair gamecube games that start but break after the main title sequence
>>
My nes has some 74HC chips inside. Would it still work if those are replaced by 74LS chips?
>>
>>3504892
why are you looking to replace those
>>
>>3504896
I'm just wondering because mine mixes both 74LS (2) and 74HC (3).
>>
>>3504916
I'm not thinking they can be swapped.
>>
What's a great VGA box for the Dreamcast? Plus if it has RGB Scart and ships to Europe.
>>
File: pcengine-logo-black.png (14KB, 450x237px) Image search: [Google]
pcengine-logo-black.png
14KB, 450x237px
My pce duo R keeps freezing while playing, not loading new levels or not glitching out with graphical artifacts on cd games. Is my laser dying? Is there a particular pot that needs adjusting? The music always loads/sounds fine.
>>
Is there a foolproof way to test the ICs on a board? I got a non tmss genesis i just deep cleand and replaced all the capicitors on but it still wont read games. How do i test whether to replace the Cart Reader, GPU, Processor, or Ram first?
>>
>>3507238
>Is there a foolproof way to test the ICs on a board?
A cheap way is to use a multimeter to check whether they are getting the right voltage at the supply pins and to check whether they are shorted. With digital ICs you can use a logic probe to see whether they are getting clock signals, address/data lines working, etc.
A much more expensive signal analizer lets you inspect the data buses, etc.

For the analog parts like the audio amplifier and video encoder you can use a oscilloscope.

All of this is more useful for troubleshooting arcade boards since they have many off the shelf parts that you can buy and replace. Consoles usually have a few custom chips that you can't easily source.
>>
I have 2 Snes that used to not turn on at all.

I changed the fuse, then they didn't showed any video at all so I cleaned them and changed all caps.

Now they both play the games and display video. The only issue is that one of them is completely mute and the other one just buzzes eternally.

Both are 1chip.

One of them has this Optical Output mod, but it won't throw any sound through there either.

I ran out of ideas, how can I restore the sound on these.
>>
>>3508845
Give us some good quality pictures of the motherboard and a few close up shots of the sound hardware and we'll talk.
>>
>>3507043
Anyone?
>>
Will any VGA splitter do if I want to have two inputs and one output? My only screen with a VGA input is a monitor connected to my PC, and I'd rather not suffle cables when switching between PC and DC.
>>
File: CrscFyNVYAA_3LI.jpg (262KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CrscFyNVYAA_3LI.jpg
262KB, 1536x2048px
>>3512790
got a ps1 that dident work so i got another one and it works. they wouldent let me return the one that dosent work. wat should i do with it
>>
>>3512975
should i just smash it for youtube buck or sell the parts
>>
Does anyone have any experience modding a PAL Megadrive 2? to be exact a VA1.8 board model, using a MB3514 encoder apparently.
I managed to install a EU/US/JP single-switch and it works flawlessly except for the color, can't use SCART.

I've been looking for possible solutions and it seems like the easy way out would be using a 4-pin 4.33Mhz oscillator, the problem is I can't for the life of me find out how to properly install it.
>>
>>3513093
Rgb if the only signal that should work in colour
>>
>>3513347
I've seen additional mods to fix this issue, I just couldn't find out how to implement those fixes in my current set-up with my limited knowledge and experience.
>>
So I bought a really cheap PS1 who can read pirate CDs, but it's having difficulties to read them both pirrate and originals.

How do I give it some cleaning and maintenance myself? Do I need some fancy or expensive tools to do so?

I really never opened a console before, but I want to try on this one, I have no choice because no one do this work in my city.
>>
>>3513491
PS1's only use Philips screwdrivers.

You can clean the lens and adjust the pot a lil bit, there are tutorials roaming around on how to do that.

Shouldn't be difficult but be advised, if you mess too much with it, it will bust.
>>
File: 1454088049937.jpg (223KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454088049937.jpg
223KB, 640x480px
>>3513093
I think I figured out what to do.

Apparently that MB3514 has the same pin setup as the CXA1145 and I ended up finding guides for that one.

If I understood properly pic is what I have to do, cut over red circle and solder my shit on the green. The difference being I'll be using a 4-pin oscillator (fed by +5V and GND) instead of that circuit, this seems less painful.

I might go the extra mile and add a switch to select between my oscillator and machine's own, I've read this fix add extra issues when using RGB/SCART, so in case I ever do I guess why not.

Something I still don't understand completely is why my SMS2 worked properly right after I performed a 50/60 switch mod, but the MD/Genesis needs this one extra step.
>>
>>3513923
That seems to be a mod for an NTSC console to play PAL games.
>>
>>3513945
In my case it's the other way around, same method can be employed for that, but I believe the crystal/oscillator frequency needs to be different.
>>
>>3502476
>>3502672
FWIW I figured out the reason: The tightening of the screws made forced pin 36 of the PPU to make contact with part of the RF shield, those metal tongues that seem like were intended to touch whatever was intended to be connected to the extension port. This forced the pin to ground which made the system glitch out when fetching tiles.
I fixed it by bending the tongues of the RF shield a little.
>>
So I have a Model 2 Sega CD that is now playing games but music and fmv are stuttering. I was told to adjust the pot that controls laser sensitivity but don't know which one it is... Any help?
>>
>>3515793
Actually, the music plays flawlessly (Sol-Feace) from the music player, but will not load during the intro to the game. The intro cut scene is playing, but there is no music and the I can hear the lens searching searching. Why would it work in the Music Player but not in game?
>>
>>3513510
a tuto you recommend senpai? I seriously don't want to fuck it up
>>
is there any reason it would be impossible (or very difficult) to play Vectrex games on a Tempest cabinet's monitor somehow? I'm fine with rigging up a computer and emulating. I don't own a Tempest cabinet yet, but I'm going through the details of a hypothetical fantasy game room.
>>
Got a snes 1 chip, and a shvc-cpu-01 that I bought off ebay, said does not work. Replaced all the capacitors on both, still neither work. How do I proceed?
>>
>>3512975
figured it out its the gpu. how do i replace it
>>
File: FUCK.jpg (252KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.jpg
252KB, 1280x720px
So I did a shell swap on my gameboy pocket and now the screen is just showing this mess. Did I ruin some contacts somewhere? Is this even repairable?
>>
>>3515793
>>3516305
Fixed it. Whoever owned this before me pushed the cd spindle way down. I pulled it up... a little to far apparently. Pushed it down a tiny bit and now it's working fine.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_130021.jpg (2MB, 2336x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_130021.jpg
2MB, 2336x4160px
Hi guys. I need help with something. A long time ago i had Super mario all star and the cartdrige worked for like two weeks. Now that i am triying to get my old snes to work i can finally open it to check what the fuck had and i found pic related.

Is there a way to know what exactly that thing is?. A resistor i guess but i still need to know how much ohms.
Also, could i just change it for a new one?. I really want to repair my Super mario all-stars
>>
File: IMG_20160924_130148.jpg (3MB, 2336x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_130148.jpg
3MB, 2336x4160px
>>3519174
Pic from the other side
>>
>>3519174
>>3519182
I'm a total newcomer to this stuff so wait until someone more experienced can confirm, but after a quick search I think it's a .1uF capacitor.
>>
>>3519174

0.10 microfarad, radial lead capacitor

Should run you about $0.10 (+~$5 shipping) on digikey. Do you own a soldering iron?
>>
>>3519254
>>3519279
Thanks guys. Yes, i have soldering iron and all that stuff.
>>
>>3519174
>>3519182
Can you please post a pic of the whole card?
Because, why there is a globtop?
Had All star cards glob tops for cheapness by Nintendo? I know they sometimes did globtops on a few GB, NES and competition SNES cards, but didn't knew about normal SNES games like "All Stars"
>>
>>3517552
Check the display connector. Pull out and in one more time. If it still doesn't work, maybe the connector might be broken somewhere.
>>
>>3519370
>I know they sometimes did globtops on a few GB, NES and competition SNES cards, but didn't knew about normal SNES games like "All Stars"
Early Starfox carts had globtops.
http://www.snescentral.com/pcbboards.php?chip=SHVC-1C0N
Also it should be easy to notice that all genuine carts have gold contacts along with writing about the copyright and the PCB type.
I suspect that anon has a counterfeit cart, the globtop seems to contain the CIC (these has been cloned) based on the code D411B (NTSC CIC in DIP16).
>>
I'm making an RGB cable for my SNES, Genesis, and later Saturn. Last time I was here, I was belittled for thinking I would need more than just a pin to pin connection. But after a bit of research it looks like in order to avoid an over exposed picture from the 5V going through the cable, the R, B, and G lines of the SNES/Genesis RGB cables need 220uF capacitors to keep the colors accurate. I don't think Saturn needs anything. I just wanna double check before I actually start making cables.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_160625.jpg (3MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_160625.jpg
3MB, 4160x2336px
>>3519370
I ant to upload it but i got this Error: Your image contains an embedded file.

>>3519398
>I suspect that anon has a counterfeit cart
Maybe, it doesnt have the name of the game written in blue in the top part of the cartdrige
>>
>>3519448

800% fake.

Go ahead and swap the capacitor anyways, especially if you grew up with that cart.
>>
>>3519454
>800% fake.
fuck, i was aiming for 100%

You know, that would explain why i could change mario's suit with select in SMB3
>>
>>3519448
>>3519462
Cool pirate bootleg then.
You should indeed keep it for fun. Pirate cards are always fun in some special way.
Anyway if you have the possibility, you should try to dump it. It might have some other fun hacks except the Select-Thing which are unknown.
>>
>>3519448
>MADE IN MEXICO
>that chinese-tier coverart
Holy siht, my sides entered a another dimension.
The only obvious difference between a real chink copy and that is that they accurately copied Nintendo's style, seal and logo.

Seriously, where did you got that cart from?
>>
>>3519471
Likely from Mexico or someone who sold it from there. Bootlegs where quite common there too.
>>
>>3519471
I asked mario allstars for christmas and recived that. I dont know where my parents bough it. Also, i live in chile so i guess wasnt that hard to found one.

Of course im keeping it.
>>
>>3519537
I think the cover art on this is better than the real one.
>>
How in the world did the GBC/GBA apply a nice looking default palette to GB games, ex Metroid 2? Even the non-SGB enhanced games have good, logical color schemes.

Was this added to games beforehand with future BC in mind?
Did the GBC console ship with a database of game IDs and matching palettes?
Where can I learn more about this?
>>
>>3520118
https://tcrf.net/Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM
>>
I removed the 62 pin connector of my SNES while cleaning it and now I don't know which way it goes back on.

Both sides are identical. There is a small G on the underside. Does it stand for ground? The pins are numbered on the board. Is ground traditionally reserved for a certain pin number(s)?

What symptoms will a SNES output if its 62 pin connecter is put on backwards?

Also does the AV multi-out on the SNES output RF even though there is an RF port right beside it?
>>
File: 1457155323967.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1457155323967.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
>>3507043
bumping for interest
>>
>>3519174
>>3519182
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3A104%20capacitor
>>
>>3519442
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm this is the best site to compare stuff like that. I would have thought though that it would be easier to buy scart cables then make an adapter for that rather than try make one big super cable as all systems vary with the way they carry sync/what the strength of the signal is
>>
>>3522195
>I removed the 62 pin connector of my SNES while cleaning it and now I don't know which way it goes back on.
>Both sides are identical. There is a small G on the underside. Does it stand for ground? The pins are numbered on the board. Is ground traditionally reserved for a certain pin number(s)?
>What symptoms will a SNES output if its 62 pin connecter is put on backwards?
I find it somewhat amazing that you managed to remove the 62 pin connector without damaging the PCB, and yet don't seem to understand that the pins are identical since the connector is two sets of 31 pins at exactly the same spacing. It doesn't matter which way you put it in.
>Also does the AV multi-out on the SNES output RF even though there is an RF port right beside it?
No, it does composite, S-video, and RGB.
>>
>>3522263
>I find it somewhat amazing that you managed to remove the 62 pin connector without damaging the PCB, and yet don't seem to understand that the pins are identical since the connector is two sets of 31 pins at exactly the same spacing. It doesn't matter which way you put it in.
Some guy on youtube said that it cause wavey video and sound being "off".

>No, it does composite, S-video, and RGB.
I suppose the same is true for any console that has RF-out in addition to multi-AV out?
>>
>>3522263
>I find it somewhat amazing that you managed to remove the 62 pin connector without damaging the PCB,
Some models have the connector as two parts, one that is soldered to the board and another that clamps to the first part.
>>
>>3522395
lucky fucker
>>
I have a SNES that displays the black screen of death.

A game is inserted and the TV doesn't say "no picture" so there is a signal but it is just a black screen.

I cleaned the 62 pin connector; it is spotless.

The 62 pin connector is also firmly seated and does not show any signs of the front traces lifting off the board from too much use of the eject button.

Is there anything else I can try to fix or is it surely a fried CPU?
>>
Got a TurboExpress recently (yup, from that post).

Went to game store today to test it with their games.

New AA Alkalines
Keith Courage & Takin it to the hoop tested. (both had super-clean pins)

System comes on, screen gets that 'warm black' color..looking like power issues. No sound, adjusting contrast & Volume did nothing. Same result with both games. Battery contacts have no corrision whatsoever. Any ideas anons?
>>
File: PSX_20160926_194611.jpg (849KB, 1972x1937px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160926_194611.jpg
849KB, 1972x1937px
About a month ago I asked for advice regarding a custom clear DS Lite I found from a seller online. You guys didn't have much to give me other than reassuring my fears of the innards getting sun damage, but expressed interest in how it turned out.

So here it is, straight from Guang Dong or whatever. It was nicely packaged and works just fine. It has a texture on the inside similar to the clear GB Pocket, almost but not quite rough and pleasant to the touch.
The buttons are clear, the stylus is as well, and it comes with a clear GBA slot guard. The buttons are a little loose, not enough to come out but enough to rattle around a little. I'm a little wary of the stylus; I can feel a seam on the side that I'm unsure if it runs down to the tip. I'll likely get a screen protector for the bottom screen or something.
The D-pad feels nice and responsive. I was a little wary of it because it'd been a while since I had a Lite and people on /v/ were shitting about its D-pad, but it works perfectly fine to me, and that's coming from a football DS.
Other than that, the only issue is that the bottom strip of plastic separating the front plate from the GBA slot feels a bit loose.
It looks great in the dark, the little bit of light put out from the screen and power light outlines it in a cool way. Overall I'm happy with the purchase.

Chinapost fucking sucks though.
>>
File: wat.jpg (207KB, 1079x888px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
207KB, 1079x888px
I bought this non working ocarina of time cartridge that was lacking a battery.

I fixed it by bridging a broken trace and put a new battery on it.

I made a save on the first slot and copied it to the second slot, then played all the way to the deku tree dungeon. Saved and turned off.

When I turned it on, I noticed that the save on slot 1 was missing, and the one on slot 2 was replaced with these moonrunes.

When I chose that one, I began on link's house with a bunch of bugged out items on my menu. I couldn't use them because they're greyed out while on Link's house.

And as soon as I put a feet outside and saria talks to me, the game crashes.

I deleted that save and since then I haven't been able to save the game or reproduce this behavior, now it just wipes everything when I turn off and on again.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I already tested the battery on another game and it do works there.

Sorry for the bad quality, potato phone here.
>>
>>3523984
Make a creepypasta with it first.
>>
>>3523991
Too late, I already deleted the file, I want to reproduce it again and see if I can trigger the debug menu just for fun.
>>
File: debug.jpg (135KB, 666x1184px) Image search: [Google]
debug.jpg
135KB, 666x1184px
>>3523991
>>3523996
Nvm, I just did it, apparently it happens when I reach deku tree and have some items on the menu when I save, I also was able to trigger the debug information now, I doubt it is useful but whatever.
>>
File: sadsad.jpg (73KB, 662x888px) Image search: [Google]
sadsad.jpg
73KB, 662x888px
>>3524003
Ok now I'm getting a little scared here.

but really, what the hell? why can't this shit just save like a normal game.
>>
File: slowpoke1.png (157KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke1.png
157KB, 500x378px
My N64 isn't working anymore, when I hook it up the light turns on but the tv doesn't get any image. I know all my games work and yes I've already blown em' all for good measure. I was thinking about opening it up insteada getting a new one, but I don't really know shit fuck. If anyone ITT with more experience than me is willing to answer, what should I look for? The closest technical experience I have is from when I fixed the fan in my laptop and disassembled and reassembled the whole thing.
>>
>>3523991
>>3523996
>>3524017
Please fuck off to /x/ or /b/ /v/ with this garbage.
You obviously fucked up the "fix." Throw it in the garbage why was a trace broken in the first place?
>>
>>3524017
That's fuckin cool, man.
>>
>>3524027
Before resorting to opening it up, try different games, and make sure the cables are fine. Don't know if you're trolling but blowing on the cartridges or console is bad for it.
>>
>>3524029
The hell could I know, it was like that when I got it, I'll re-check all the traces, sorry if this bothered you.
>>
>>3524027
If you can fix a laptop you can also repair a console.

Go for it.
>>
>>3524051
No problems man sorry if I came off hostile. However I meant to say if it had problems with the battery and a broken trace then it probably has some other problems that might be harder to diagnose.
>>
>>3524029
Well I'll be damned, I checked it and I did fucked up my "fix" the trace was broken from both sides of the pin's leg, I just fixed one side and neglected the other one, fixed it and it saves now, thanks yo.

>>3524027
Do you get any clicking noise or something when you turn it up? Or even some kind of flash on the screen?

Also, are you sure your tv detects 240p signal? try on an old crt if you can.

If there's a problem, I would check if the AV output pins are properly soldered, maybe they have dry joints now.

Maybe move the cable around from the AV output side and see if you get a signal.
>>
>>3524032
Oh..... Wow, damn. Really? Well, thanks for being the first person to tell me that.... o_o"
>>
>>3524082
It used to work on my TV before. And nope, no flash or anything, nothing happens on the screen at all. How do I check the pins and how would I fix them?
>>
>>3524116
If there is no video or sound at all, that means the problem is inside the console, you will have to open it and check the AV output pins.

Pic related; they shouldn't look like the pic on the right. If they do, resolder them.
>>
File: n64_rgb_snesconn_000.jpg (291KB, 1411x768px) Image search: [Google]
n64_rgb_snesconn_000.jpg
291KB, 1411x768px
>>3524195
and of course I forgot the pic
>>
>>3524196
I'll try that out next time I'm home. Thanks!! I think I have a soldering tool somewhere...
>>
File: pic unrelated.jpg (48KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
pic unrelated.jpg
48KB, 700x512px
>>3517424

Whoops, sorry for the late.

There may be a bunch of different tutorials depending on which model you have.

I have used this one on several different ps1's tho and it has always worked.

http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html
>>
Anyone have installation references for the MM3 psx modchip? More specifically the scph- 900x models. All I am finding are low resolution, artifact ridden .jpgs.
>>
>>3526771
Have you tried the files from eurasia?
>>
>>3526791
Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about.
>>
File: 900x.jpg (45KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
900x.jpg
45KB, 500x560px
>>3526810
I used pic and it worked fine.
>>
File: 900x2.jpg (23KB, 343x312px) Image search: [Google]
900x2.jpg
23KB, 343x312px
>>3526810
>>3526843
This one too.
>>
File: 900xthumb.jpg (13KB, 250x126px) Image search: [Google]
900xthumb.jpg
13KB, 250x126px
>>3526843
>>3526847
BTW, the harder part is soldering to the surface mount components, there a chance you may remove the resistor/cap from the board. I think the 5501 or so it's easier to install because it can be done from the bottom side.
>>
>>3526843
>>3526847
>>3526854
Ok I'll try with these. Yeah I am worried about those teeny tiny resistors but going for it anyway. Have to love $3 goodwill playstations.
>>
>>3527109
Are you using a PIC12F629 or PIC12C508? I think I read that one of those only likes one of the solder points for pin 1. (There is another set of installation pics with another point for pin 1)
>>
>>3527129
PIC12C508
>>
I have a SNES with black screen of death.

Someone told me that it may be a malfunctioning reset switch.
They said to do a continuity test with a multimeter.

I've stripped down the SNES and located the reset switch but I don't know where to place the test leads.
How do I check for continuity?
>>
File: mm3pu23-SCPH-900x.jpg (70KB, 618x482px) Image search: [Google]
mm3pu23-SCPH-900x.jpg
70KB, 618x482px
>>3528153
If the first pics do not work you can try this one, too. I think one of the chips is supposed to work with both diagrams and the other with only one of them but I forgot which is which.
>>
>>3528318
Thanks for the help, anon. I've got a 500x and 100x model to play around with after I finish this one.

Is there a definitive best model when it comes to Playstation 1 like how there is with Genesis? I figure you'd at least want a model with a parallel port.
>>
>>3529062
Not that anon, but I recommend the 7XXX series. Both ports on the back, Dual Shock, and the CD player comes with Sound Scope. 55XX models aren't bad since they don't have the issues the 1XXX did, but lack Dual Shock and Sound Scope. Both the 55XX and 7XXX models have both Serial and Parallel ports.
>>
>>3507043
Weird, if your laser is going bad you should have choppy audio first. It's always the same or goes better or worse if you leave the console on for a while?.

Do you have any hu-cards around to test the console itself?, also open then and look for bad caps, if they are swollen or have like rust in the base, yep, these are bad caps.
>>
>>3529062
>Is there a definitive best model when it comes to Playstation 1 like how there is with Genesis?
There's not a huge difference in either audio or video quality like in the genesis. Biggest difference is that earlier models have plastic rails in the laser assembly that gets worn out and causes disc read failures. Many people like the 7XXX while other prefer the 1XXX with the laser assembly from a PSOne.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>3529192
>I recommend the 7XXX series
I posted about this a few weeks ago, I seem to have fucked up my 7001. Retail games now go to the CD player, backups (that work fine on ps2) tell me to insert a playstation disc. I checked and rechecked the pin layout, and yes, I counted them counterclockwise. I also used 30 gauge kynar which is stupid thin.

Would one of these $4 chip programmers work to make more mm3 chips and try again? I got mine from eurasia but it took forever to get here. I'll probably just buy more pre-programmed chips if I have to spend a bunch of money on a programmer.
>>
>>3529520
Never seen that exact device but I have a bunch of similar dongles for programming PICs and ATs. Never had a problem with any.
>>
File: IMG_2915.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2915.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3502492
So this is what my toploader outputs now.

I ended up buying another NES just cause I didn't want to fuck around with this one, and low and behold the 72 pin connector was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, so I have a Blinking Light Win on the way, and I'm going to disable the lockout chip.

But until that shit shows up I'm going to try and fix this junk. I swear my NES luck has always been terrible. Really considering one of those new fangled HD models.
>>
File: file.png (63KB, 146x197px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
63KB, 146x197px
I heard that you can use a Gameshark or Action Replay to play PS1 imports on a USA system. I bought a 2.4 Gameshark cart and was wondering if this will do the same as the Action Replay? Pic related is the version sticker on the back.
>>
>>3526843
>>3526847
>>3526854
>>3527109
>>3528318
Well I was doing well until I got to the 2 pins that attach to those little resistors. Ended up pull them off the board. I'm going to try again with a 7000x Playstation since it looks like I don't have to deal with the little shits on that model.
>>
>>3529839
You can solder the back with a fine tip, tweezers and flux .
>>
>>3529754
usually. look for an option for "FREE LOAD" or something similar, instead of loading codes it just boots the game like swap magic would. booting the game with no codes active might work in some cases as well.
>>
live
>>
>>3519448
Pretty interesting how it has a spot for another globtop IC but it was left unpopulated in favor of a regular old dip chip
>>
>>3532656
Pretty interesting how you can't tell that regular old dip chip is SRAM and the spot for TSOP/glob is for a second ROM. Actually, not interesting at all, just another typical day on mini /v/
>>
File: 7bgGMBa.jpg (1MB, 1920x1900px) Image search: [Google]
7bgGMBa.jpg
1MB, 1920x1900px
>>3526843
I recently put an MM3 on 3x 1001s and a 7001. 1001 is easy mode. 7001 wasn't too bad, but so many tiny points to solder to. (not my pic, don't know what that other chip is)
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.