[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: header.jpg (46KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
46KB, 460x215px
Thoughts on this series? Have you played the remaster?
>>
>>3499474
>remaster
Fuck no.
Original one works completely fine for me.
Remaster doesn't work on my pc at all.

Played Seeds of Evil, had fun, didn't finish.
Played Dinosaur Hunter, had a bit less fun, didn't finish.
Lots of getting lost on the levels. Its fine if you played them before and know where to go, but navigating them for the first time is hellish.

Nice weapons.
I really wish there was a knife in the second one. While Warblade is fine, fuck Talon.

Also, to little dinosaurs in the Seeds. Sadness.
>>
I'm reading the comic right now
Neither I can blieve it was a comic.
>>
>>3499826
>Remaster doesn't work on my pc at all.
Something wrong with your PC, then. The remaster is excellent.

Anyway, it's an interesting series. Deeply unoriginal, but it kept things fresh. My pet favorite is Turok 3, but Turok 2 is the most polished. Turok 1 is better than Quake, which it happens to be a ripoff of. The TUROK game doesn't really count because it has no connection to the other games.
>>
>>3500034
yea the comic to this was surprisingly pretty sick, pretty sure it actually preceded the entire game series
>>
>>3500067
>Something wrong with your PC, then.
Yeah, its too old to run it.
I guess I should say that Remaster doesn't work FOR my pc/me.

What did they remastered anyway?
I only know a few things.
Fog 'depth' being one, and what comes with it a render distance which can be put way back now.
Fancy light effects.
New sounds.
I assume map if working now.
What else?
>>
>>3500302
i watched a video of it, they actually changed the maps up some, like the really tiny canyon area after getting the first key now is much wider and has a structure in it. also the cover image of the game finally features the character you play as?

i dunno, it still seems kinda pricey for what you get. the devs also promised a map editor and steam workshop support post-launch, but there's been no sign of it.
>>
>>3500302
Not sure what all the differences are but this is why I like it

>High resolution support
>Keyboard+mouse controls
>Steady 60fps
>>
>>3500318
The old PC port has most of those things if you use a glide wrapper.
>>
>>3500292
>pretty sure it actually preceded the entire game series
By 40 years none than less
>>
File: 1360985099796.jpg (76KB, 431x542px) Image search: [Google]
1360985099796.jpg
76KB, 431x542px
>>3500342
can't get rid of the fog, music and sound effects are low quality, fov is shit and cannot be fixed, no mod support and barely works on modern hardware.

>>3500302
>What did they remastered anyway?

The entire game runs on a new engine Kaiser calls KEX, same engine as DOOM64EX.

20 bucks is a steal for something that's been under development since at least 2011 BEFORE night dive came in and gave Kaiser a chance to work with them.

With that said, KAISER WHERE ARE YOU? I got questions that need answers.
>>
I remember the fog in the first game and not much else.
>>
Possibly one of the worst game engines in an fps ever, the game always plays like its about to break down.
>>
>>3499474
who the fuck ever wanted to shoot dinosaurs in an fps? trespass? Project gunman? shit tier fps
>>
File: turok_cave.jpg (55KB, 991x826px) Image search: [Google]
turok_cave.jpg
55KB, 991x826px
Turok 1 is an interesting game. I'm replaying it now and like it for how different it feels. Not sure I approve of adding collectathon elements to FPS levels, but it basically forces you to look for all the side areas so that's kind of cool. The weapons and mo-cap animations looked good back in 1997 and still look pretty good today, just watching the enemies run around and swing at you still looks better than some modern games.

Something interesting about the mapping, though, is that I get the feeling their level editor had a bunch of modular pieces they could stick together to form. There are several cave sections similar to pic related where you can see that the intersections have "pre-cut" connections, made to link up with other pieces.

On the one hand, you have some levels that are impressive open/outdoorsy areas like the Lost City, and then you have a lot of rectilinear stuff like this that just seems copypasted and lazy. It's a weird game.
>>
>>3504239
I should also note that Turok has more platforming in the first level than most FPSes have in the entire game. So much easier doing it all with a mouse and keyboard than it was on the N64, at least.
>>
Turok has this bizarre element where if you kill an enemy with the knife without taking damage it will drop a... a -thing-

anyway this thing makes your knife do +1 damage, and every time you kill something without getting hit, using your knife, it would get stronger

it got to the point where you could just decapitate raptors in one swing, shit was bananas
>>
>>3504278
I remember something called Mortal Wound or something like that dropping on occasion, never knew what it did.
Now I know.
Gotta reinstall and try it out.
>>
>>3504301
That anon is remembering things wrong.

The mortal wound pick up only gave you 5 hp and would stop stacking after 125.
>>
>>3504308
This anon is correct. Mortal Wounds drop rarely when you kill enemies with the knife or regular arrows. It's a permanent +5 to your max health, to be clear.
>>
>>3504308
you can definitely make your knife stronger. I'm sure of it. I think you lose it once you use a different weapon or take damage though.
>>
>>3504326
Anon, if that were the case, I would know of it.

I played the fuck out of the game, being a poorfag and all, so all you're left to do is memorize the few games you have.
>>
>>3504370
try it out then faggot, and tell me I'm wrong

>use knife
>ONLY knife
>don't get hit
>don't even change weapons
>post results
>>
>>3504385
>>3504326
I noticed that sometimes knife DOES do more damage.
I remember killing raptors in 2-3 hits.
I think it might do more damage when you stab enemies in the back? Dunno.
>>
>>3504412
I may be right about that backstabbing.
http://turok.wikia.com/wiki/Knife
>>
>>3500067
>Turok 1 is better than Quake

Ahahahahah . . . no.
>>
File: turok_mantis_boss.jpg (152KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
turok_mantis_boss.jpg
152KB, 800x600px
Turok has some decent bosses. Nothing too challenging, but definitely better than average for the FPS genre.
>>
>>3505059
Reminds me a lot of metroid Prime actually

or perhaps I should say vice versa
>>
File: turok.jpg (90KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
turok.jpg
90KB, 960x600px
I've played a lot of FPS, all of the classics. I played the original Turok on the N64 as a kid and I finished the remaster recently. The remaster looked and ran fine on my PC.

This was one of the few games I turned the difficulty down from the max. I prefer to play my games on the hardest modes and I have beat some notoriously hard games. The game was definitely playable on max difficulty but I felt there was some memorization/trial and error involved (or you could look up the hidden areas, or watch a replay.) I can tolerate some trial and error but this game required too much (again, on the max difficulty, on the remaster, with max draw distance, and probably no aim assistance that was on the N64, I can't remember.)

Now I think in the remaster (and maybe the old PC version) the difficulty is increased by the longer draw distance. And the remaster had a defect (or maybe an intentional change) where the enemies move insanely fast on the top difficulty. I mean they zipped across the level so fast it was comical looking. That, combined with the fact they were accurate (some of them hit-scan?), they respawn quickly, and you have sparse save points, made for a game that was genuinely fucking hard. If I was more patient I would have enjoyed it. I turned the difficulty down a notch though and had a much better time.

The game over all is great, it's fast-paced and has that old-school FPS feel to it. I think it gets way better toward the end when you have full guns and you're fighting the tougher enemies. If you like games like Quake or Unreal you'll probably like it.
>>
>>3505108
Yeah, the remaster basically has the enemies set to "fast motion" on the Insane difficulty, it wasn't designed that way (I'm pretty sure the N64 didn't even have difficulty settings), and they make them respawn really fast. In addition it seems like they barely drop any ammo, so I think the remaster threw that difficulty in as a "try THIS" bonus, kind of like Nightmare in Doom.
>>
>>3505108
It gets better towards the end but the final level is unfortunately by far the worst (really long and very repetitive).
>>
Just finished this game. 3/5 pretty good, really like the cyborg dino enemies in the later levels even though there's not much of a challenge once you're kitted out with all the best weapons. I like that it has a lives system and limited checkpoints/savepoints. Even with all the pillar-hopping platforming segments, that didn't bother me, and there are enough extra lives you don't really have to worry. I guess what I like most about Turok is that it doesn't feel very derivative of any other FPS from that era. The full-3D jungle, cave, and "lost city" environments, the tribal drumming ambiance, the ability to climb on the vine-texture walls, the fact that the starting knife is a fairly powerful weapon, the random bonus area warp portals... the whole game just has a very unique vibe.

>>3506197
Yeah, the final level is pretty lame. Identical looking corridors everywhere, and it spams tough enemies at you. But it gives you enough ammo that you can just kind of run and blast through it without much thought, so I didn't think it was that bad. It would be much worse if you had to take time and explore looking for more keys.
>>
File: sobek 2016-09-19 19-20-50-94.jpg (63KB, 1260x788px) Image search: [Google]
sobek 2016-09-19 19-20-50-94.jpg
63KB, 1260x788px
A final thing before I let this thread die: I like how the weirdass locations of the bonus areas makes me feel like I'm inside one of the game cubes from Reboot.
>>
>>3499826
>remaster doesn't work at all

Install OpenAL, delete the OpenAL dll from the folder with the game's exe. I had the same problem with the Powerslave remake this guy did for ages while everyone else was playing it, and the same thing works there too.
>>
>>3510135
Nope, doesn't work.
It appears my pc just isn't good enough.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.