[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BETRAYAL at KRONDOR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 12801.jpg (202KB, 945x1024px) Image search: [Google]
12801.jpg
202KB, 945x1024px
Since this is the best cRPG ever made, what is exactly your excuse for not playing it?
Do you realize how many people haven't played it? That's a crime.
>>
File: 12803.jpg (99KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
12803.jpg
99KB, 768x1024px
..isn't it lovely?
>>
It's been on my list for a while. What should I know before starting?
>>
Looks terrible. Why should i play this?
>>
>>3495415
Using GOG version remember to deactivate the "cd-music" option in the preferences menu. You will get lesser quality music but with all the musical loops and dynamics of the original game. Far better immersion IMHO..

Give yourself some time to get used to the interface and slow pace of the game, you will be heavily rewarded.

>>3495418
'cause it's the better rpg game ever made.
It has a great narrative that KOs even Baldur's Gate. Just look for a couple of reviews.
>>
Betrayal at krondor is god tier gaming. So much good memories...
>>
>>3495409
> Not posting the superior successor
Nice try OP, but I'm here to clear the record:

If you're playing these for the first time today just skip Krondor and go straight for Antara, they aren't related storywise (think System Shock to Bioshock) and Antara plays better all round.
>>
File: Betrayal_In_Antara_A.jpg (79KB, 665x800px) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal_In_Antara_A.jpg
79KB, 665x800px
>>3496001
> forgot pic
See? Even has a cooler cover.
>>
>>3496003
Id say krondor has better story/world, but Antara has better gameplay/graphics. Which makes sense since Antara is just an upgraded engine.
>>
>>3495409

I never played this game but I did play the sequel return to Krondor which was pretty good. For some reason I stopped playing it. I made it near the end of the game where you are in that cave temple after vampires, but just stopped playing.
>>
>>3496001
>>3496003
>>3496076
I still haven't played Antara. Surely I will.
However.. what would you tell me about this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60Hnh4-v6E

It's the first time i hear good words about Antara, so i'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>3496003
Antara is bugged to unplayability.
>>
>>3496452
An anon just mentioned better gameplay....
I'm confused.
>>
>>3495415
First and foremost, take your time and read the manual. It is well-written and fun :)

Second, don't rush to Krondor in the first chapter. Take your time and explore the world.

Lastly, take notes on what you read.
>>
File: krondmap.gif (88KB, 588x314px) Image search: [Google]
krondmap.gif
88KB, 588x314px
>>3497784
yup- Betrayal at Krondor has this good balance between a quite rigid narrative and huge, free-world exporations.

>>3495415
Don't rush to Krondor, first explore the road between Yabon and Tyr-Sog
>>
Can you actually go to Armengar and Sar-Sargoth? How about Sorcerer's Island?
>>
File: vargbait.jpg (83KB, 408x306px) Image search: [Google]
vargbait.jpg
83KB, 408x306px
>>3498065
I can't recall if something blocked your way there or not in chapter 1.
The real thing in Sar-Sargoth and Armengar is on chapter 4.
>>
>>3495409
>>Do you realize how many people haven't played it?
Plebs being Plebs
>>
How do i kill those goddamn Nighthawks?
They keep on resurrecting
>>
>>3496571
Its a win3.1 game. Gog version is probably buggy or something. I dont remember any issues when i played on my old box
>>
>>3500759
Its been a while, but I think there might be a spell or item that will keep them down. However i always just stand on the bodies so they cant get up.
>>
Those fucking riddle chests...

Some were reasonable:
>A strange earthen house,
>That brings nought but disdain.
>And yet those who stay there,
>Never do complain.
Answer: "Grave"

But then shit like this had me completely stumped as a kid:
>Blessed are the first.
>Slow are the second.
>Playful are the third.
>Bold are the fourth.
>Brave are the fifth.

Years before gamefaqs existed some of those riddles would take trial and error to solve if the answer wasn't obvious. You looked for a recognizable word in the available letters and hoped for the best.
>>
File: magic traps.png (45KB, 1435x1080px) Image search: [Google]
magic traps.png
45KB, 1435x1080px
The way they implemented magic traps so early in the game was a huge mistake back in the day.

>meet some bandits
>fight
>win and get loot
>good times so far
>you soon run into pic related
>what the fuck am I looking at here?
>maybe if I just...
>DEAD

That was the last time my brother played this game. I stuck with it but those nonsensical trap things were bullshit. To clear the traps you actually had to move the character to the back of the screen.

It was very poorly implemented and they should have saved them for later in the game or not have included them at all.
>>
>>3501129
You can always just brute force those.

But main problem was the perspective.
>>
>>3501164

You can brute force them later with the right spells easily.

In the very early chapters they are just a weird obstacle you have to walk past without being killed, but the games movement grid and perspective was shit for this kind of gameplay, as you mentioned.
>>
>>3501172
Its been a while, but as long as one person makes it through youre okay. Once a trap goes off then it is inert, so just walk someone into it and if they "die", walk someone else out.
If they dont die (cant remember if those traps are guaranteed death or not), just combat rest until theyre healed.
>>
>>3501193
>cant remember if those traps are guaranteed death or not

Early on they were often fatal but they were easier to get around (assuming your character walks to where you want them to walk).

Later traps got to be more of a clusterefuck on screen but you had a temporary invulnerability spell to just walk past them.

I just found it to be a poorly implemented gameplay mechanic overall.

I never read the novels but was it common on well traveled roads to constantly have magic rods and crystals rising out of them?
>>
>>3501202
> novels

Nope.

There also wasnt combat encounters every 10 feet.
>>
>>3501223

Random encounters I can forgive for any RPG, but the magic traps on the road were just weird and out of place.
>>
>>3495409
Pretension is set high here, but it's indeed a great game. I'd play it everyday on my cousin's home back in the day, but I only managed to buy it recently. Does Return To Krondor live up to its prequel? I'm not sure if it's worth investing time on it.
>>
>>3501291
I havent tried to since release, but i remember not liking it.

But i also got nowhere in it (i dont even know if i finished first chapter, i know i never left the city) because it ran like shit on my system.
>>
>>3501129
Weird. I never had any trouble with the traps.
Fun fact: you can pull enemies in the traps line of fire with Invitation. Good times.
>>
>>3500759
Use the "Final Rest" spell ya fageT
>>3501076
In the name of Athena now please tell us the answer to that second nightmare of a riddle
>>
>>3501129
KEK- i know that feel. But you actually know that a good RPG will always have some learning curve.
Otherwise you will have fucking Pillars of Eternity and other pleb-tier stuff.
>>
>>3501809
Blade?
B - first in Blessed
L - second in Slow
and so on.
>>
>>3503082
Yep.

First/second/third/etc letter in each word.
There are much harder riddles in the game.
>>
>>3501809
Thats the spell.
I think there is an item that does the same thing too...
>>
>>3501029

gog version of Antara had a game-breaking bug but they fixed it
>>
>>3495409
That's not Planescape: Torment
>>
>>3503157
E D G Y .
I love Torment, but i highly suspect you haven't played Krondor.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.