[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I playing this wrong or is just boring as paint drying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: Quake2box.jpg (22KB, 328x400px)
Quake2box.jpg
22KB, 328x400px
Am I playing this wrong or is just boring as paint drying?
>>
>>3494162
It probably could use mods.
>>
>>3494162
you aren't doing anything wrong, quake II really is THAT boring
>>
It's more like a tech demo. The single player feels like an afterthought and the only redeeming thing about the game is the soundtrack and multiplayer at the time. Other than that, yes, it's boring.
>>
I thought it was boring too. Still has that classic level design with interesting enemies atleast, but everything else feels mediocre.
>>
>>3494162
Inb4 that one q2 fag and his crappy webms.

Really boring game senpai. Stick to the original.
>>
>>3494162
I tried to get into it but I didn't play for long. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it had I bought it when it was new or in the following years. I think it's a shame because it didn't look or play half bad, just a question of timing.
>>
>>3494162
its more fun co-op
played it with a friend and beat it in one night
>>
Man, I loved this game. Got it as one of my first PC games in '98. Played the shit out of it then, and replayed a few times since.

But I just tryed replaying it again a few weeks ago... and yeah, it's boring as shit. The first few levels are great, but it gets repetitive without introducing anything new for a long time. Damn shame.
>>
>>3494162
I don't like how different it is from Quake. didn't like it back when I played it on my brand spanking new pre-built e-machines with Windows XP SP1. don't like it now.
>>
>>3494162
I like quake 2 just now as much as the first one

Btw I think the cd soundtrack makes it about 500% more exciting so make sure youve got that working properly if using a sourceport.
>>
>>3494945
*not
>>
Quake 2 is the better SP in the Quake series for it's return of Heavy Metal and fun locations. Quake was too drab, and had forgettable soundtrack. The enemies all looked the same. In 2, there was character. The guns also felt more alive when you shot an enemy. That's why 2 is better.
>>
>>3494949
Lmao
>>
>>3494162
Took me a few hours in one sitting to beat that game back when it came out.

Nothing special, but worth the play if you're bored on a rainy sunday afternoon.
>>
>>3494162
Did they seriously use the same boxart look for a game that looked nothing like it's predecessor? Man Id screwed up.
>>
>>3495147
>Did they seriously use the same boxart look for a game that looked nothing like it's predecessor?
Quake 2 actually establish the universe, Quake 1 was just a FPS without any story. Every other version of Quake after that used the same logo, if anything, Quake is the one whose least related to it.

>Man Id screwed up.
There's no such thing as Id, only id.
>>
>>3495157
>There's no such thing as Id, only id.

I remember the days I pronounced it as I.D.
>>
>>3494162
It is possible that you just have shit taste.

It's a step down from Quake but still a great game.
>>
>>3495157
>There's no such thing as Id, only id.
Regardless of how they like to stylise their logo, it is grammatically incorrect not to capitalise the I.
>>
>>3495214
No it's not, id Software is a TM.
Even writing it as "Id Software" in any official documents would be wrong.
>>
>>3494949
lol no.

Quake 1 SP + music > Quake 2 SP + music

Even the multiplayer is better in Quake 1
>>
>>3495217
No, it would be correct. They can stylise it how they like, but they're braking the rules of the English language and when somebody decides they want to capitalise the I they should not be corrected for getting right what Id get wrong.
>>
>>3495237
You just embarrassed yourself and now try to find excuses.
Good going bro.
>>
>>3495237
>braking the rules
A trademark is technically an adjective, not a proper noun.
>>
>>3495237
>implying PlayStation is written Playstation
>implying BMW is written Bmw
>implying PowerPC or POWER is written Powerpc or Power
>implying AMD is written Amd
Even official documents write the name like it's supposed to. It's a name and a trademark, English grammar does not apply.
>>
>>3495235
>>3494949
>ugh, this topic about a thing that personal preference and opinions apply is not to my liking, stop liking what I don't like!
Holy shit.
>>
For me it was always flipped from everyone else, I couldn't really get into the first one. The third one didnt have a campaign so I never cared much for it. But, I absolutely loved and completed Quake II. It may just be the nostalgia talking though.
>>
>>3495235
classic deathmatch and duel was better in quake just about everything else was better on q2 and that was only the benefit of being on a more modern engine. weapons of destruction was so much fun
>>
I've been 1/3 of the way through Quake II for a couple years now and never have any motivation to finish it. Too many humanoid enemies, too easy even on Hard, and I find the theme to be drab and boring.

I don't think it's a bad game or anything especially for when it came out, but at this point is just feels so by-the-numbers compared to a bunch of other more interesting FPSes I could play.
>>
>>3495395
Yeah, that wasn't like that back in 1999.
>>
>>3495396
Quake II was 1997. And I had the demo disc back when it game out so it's not like I didn't try it at the time, but I'm talking even in comparison to /vr/ games, like Douk and Dark Forces, or even Q1 as others have said in this thread.

This thread makes me want to finish the game though so I should probably get on that.
>>
>>3495406
>Quake II was 1997
I played it first in '99, that's what I meant.
>>
I think the metal-scifi imagery had more of a punch when it was released. It seems a little generic now.
>>
>>3495250

>>3495237 utterly BTFO
>>
>>3494162
Not as good as the first one, but still pretty fun. The soundtrack is great.
>>
>>3494949
>heavy metal
>>
Better than the new doom...
>>
>>3495235
nice bait anon

Quad machine and Crashed up again rips all over SoA a DoE soundtrack

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yBTYxLko

>quake 2 is boring?
Yes it is, it wast fully modded like Q1 still is today, even the source ports are meh, some enemies are bullet sponges until you get the SUPER SHOTGUN

>did someone tried to mod it to hd and fix the shit orange lightning and OGLtextures?

Yes someone tried it before, it was the quake 2 Evolved project, the guys had even hd poly models for the guns and some enemies, but the project died later as they tried to move to quake IV and then other projects, Then there is Q2XP and Kmquake 2, both supports the texture pak from Evolved, the weapons, someone tried to update it using Q3 generations arena, but the creators bitched and it was removed(and Generations arena for Q3 is dead).

>what about Q2berserk?

IS SHIT, looks WORSE than tenebrae adding Doom 3 lightning and effects to quake 1

>what about multiplayer?

is great, but un-evolved, different from QW who has EZquake, Q2 never went forward, there's still tastyspleen
>>
Beat Q1 and Q2 recently and Q2 clearly did not stand up to the test of time.

Q1 was tight, fast paced, full of action, and felt like a struggle in many fights. It also had legit expansions that added new weapons/music/weapons. One of my favourite episodes was DOPA

Q2 was full of bullet sponge enemies, sluggish, full of backtracking, and bland weapons until the railgun

Q2 is technologically superior and wowed people then, but it's simply not a fun game
>>
>>3495548
>>3495274
>>3495235
>>3494971
I was trolling anyways. This board has too many people with similar opinions, it gets boring agreeing with the same idea.
>>
File: waste2 (3).webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
waste2 (3).webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>3494162
depends how you play it

>>3494264
just for you, friend
>>
>>3495615
Q1 has more bullet sponges

both games are only as fast as you are able to play them. if you have a slug's pace, it's not the game's fault
>>
>>3495836
Lol you're trying so damn hard to make it look interesting and it still shines through as the boring turd that it is.
>>
>>3495836
Nice turtle speed you got going there doom babby.

https://youtu.be/ZhzXKMqZBBc
>>
Is this a Quake thread? I downloaded quakespasm but now the game just randomly crashes.
>>
>>3494162
It's the weakest of the quake games, even quake 4 is better than it.
>>
File: base3.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
base3.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>3496458
>speedrunning is regular gameplay
not everyone is turbo gay
>>
>>3495836
Is this supposed to be good gameplay?
>>
>>3496515
Quake 1 is still noticeably faster, speedrunning or not. Going from 1 to 2 feels like going underwater.
>>
File: running slower than molasses.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
running slower than molasses.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>3496541
as far as movement goes, don't constantly bunny hop or rocket/nade jump and you'll get a game even slower than Q2
>>
>>3496632
That's not slow it's the normal way of playing. Kill yourself autistic fuck.
>>
>>3496537
No, that's gay speedrun gameplay
>>
>>3496632
That webm is way faster than the two you posted of Quake 2, I don't know what point you're trying to make unless you're out to troll the thread.
>>
>>3496649
This.
>>
>>3496632
That's bullshit. Quake's movement speed with autorun on is much faster than quake 2's autorun speed, both without hopping. Deny this and you are literally retarded and plain wrong.
>>
>>3495250
>being a brandcuck
BMW and AMD and the PC in PowerPC can be uppercase because they're abbreviations, everything else follows the rules of English. POWER is a bullshit fake abbreviate obviously made to trick people into writing it in uppercase, so don't fall for that one.
>>
>>3496758
This does not apply to only abbreviations but all trademarks.
This has nothing to do with being a brandcuck but not being an imbecile.
>>
>>3496758
>everything else follows the rules of English
except you forget that they aren't actual english nouns
>>
>>3496771
actually applies to all names but specially to trademarks
>what is McDonald's
>>
>>3496771
It's 100% brandcuck. Trademarks don't entitle you to special typography.

>>3496772
Of course they are. You say "BMW", not "BMW brand motor vehicle company". It's a noun.

>>3496775
"Mc" prefix is standard. It's not like they're insulting you by saying they should be written "McDoNaLdS" or some shit like that.
>>
File: aygtmb.jpg (37KB, 415x570px)
aygtmb.jpg
37KB, 415x570px
>>3496782
/bait
>>
>>3496758
>>3496771
>>3496772
>>3496775
>>3496782
>>3496784
So how long are you spergs gonna argue about this now and when was the last time any of you got laid? Inb4 lies.
>>
>>3494162
just launched it a few minutes ago for the first time after seeing this thread and I happened to have it on my GOG account.

>had to install Quake2xp to primp the game up because I don't have a proper 320x240 compliant display and 640x480 is not a good excuse
>music is annoying as fuck with very little action
>none of my roomies wanted to LAN it because we might as well play Quake III so we didn't
>feels like I'm playing Call of Duty: Mars Warfare with stupid easy corridors and enemies that have these dumbass animations
>pistol accuracy is badly offset from the crosshair so you might as well disable it and shoot with your eyes closed

this list can definitely go on, this game doesn't get good at all.
>>
>>3496789
>last time any of you got laid
About 3 months ago, but I got so tired of women I don't think I won't be interested in getting any pussy till Christmas.
>>
>>3496790
>hurr muh pixels
>wrong
>comparing single player game with multiplayer to multiplayer-only game
>implying open spaces are more difficult
>bothered by offset but doesn't play centered weapon
>>
>>3496775
>what is GameCube
FTFY
>>
>>3496797
Sounds low test 2bh
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.