[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was I supposed to know I'm supposed to push down?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: worst level ever.jpg (312KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
worst level ever.jpg
312KB, 640x480px
How was I supposed to know I'm supposed to push down?
>>
The white triangles on the barrels symbolize a D-pad's up/down arrows.
>>
>>3493318
>4 directions of trial and error.
>It's too much

Babby's first game?
>>
>>3493327
There's no other part of the game where you have to do it, and I almost made it by jumping, so I thought that's what I had to do.
>>
wait a minute, is this a fucking avgn thread in disguise??
>>
Not this shit again??!
>>
>>3493336
I don't think James ever made a video about this game.
>>
File: what-were-they-thinking.png (32KB, 960x672px) Image search: [Google]
what-were-they-thinking.png
32KB, 960x672px
How was I supposed to know I'm supposed to push start? There's no other part of the game where you have to do it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeBgeN5uG8

Reminder that even the guy who designed that shit make an apology for it
>>
>>3493348

Your comparison only works if literally every video game had you moving around floating barrels with the D-pad.
>>
File: 1464670370492.png (5KB, 360x360px)
1464670370492.png
5KB, 360x360px
>>3493318
>This thread again
Ignore and move on, folks. If you have to reply, remember to sage.
>>
>>3493327
Sonic gameplay is mindless enough so that you won't expect it to require any critical thinking.
>>
7 year old me figured it out in a pre-internet era.

Granted, I did time out a bunch of times before truly getting it. Y'all have no excuse.
>>
>>3493318
>How was I supposed to know I'm supposed to push down?

Because jumping did not work and you only had so many other buttons on the controller to try.
>>
File: top a shit.png (20KB, 320x224px)
top a shit.png
20KB, 320x224px
Why was Sonic 3 full of so many lame gimmicks?
>>
>>3494389
My brother and I did it by jumping.

If the only way to move the barrel had been pushing up and down it would've worked. Making it bounce with the jump just muddled things.
>>
>>3493318
Because:
1) You use up and down to beat the boss of Marble Garden, the previous zone. This subconsciously tells you that up and down are useful.
2) Going on the barrel prevents you from looking up and down normally, including not being able to spindash.
3) Jumping might hypothetically work if you timed it perfectly, but doing so would take an incredible amount of skill and a long amount of time, neither of which any previous puzzle in the franchise required. It's a Sonic game, if you're not past it in 10 seconds then you're not doing it right.

Combine all three and that's how most people figured it out.
>>
No matter what you're experience was, there were many people who got stuck with the barrels, so it's not a meme about just a few stupid kids. The problem comes when you don't eventually figure it out yourself, and have to resort to the Internet.
>>
>>3495061
People are stupid.
>>
>>3494814

Counter points

1.You can get past all the barrells, except this one, in the whole zone just by jumping

2. When you start jumping in the barrell you almost get the height necessary to get past it. So you tend to believe you are making progress

3. Once you realize shit isnt working, people tried to do something with the D-Pad. You have to press down, up, down, etc in sucession. Most people tried pressing down and it didnt have an inmediate effect on the barrell, so most people discarded that option.

4. As >>3494809 says, many people got past the barrell by jumping using Tails & Sonic together, using Super Sonic or even trying to use the Bubble.

In other words, yes, you could figure out how to get past the barrell, but its not something that can be solved in minutes, and also MANY people got stuck there, so its actually bad design. People who come here to act like badasses posting shit like this

>>3493327
>>3493348
>>3494387

are the true cancer.
>>
>>3495108
>doesn't have an immediate effect on the barrel
but it does, its just very hard to notice. seriously its the only logical conclusion
>>
>>3493318
>furries will defend this relentlessly
>"you should've expected that this physically-affected obstacle actually has nothing to do with physics in a game mechanically defined by physics"
>"pressing random buttons til you figure it out is good game design"
>>
>>3493318

there's literally a green down arrow to the left of the barrel. if you couldn't figure this out within 2 minutes your mother should have aborted
>>
>>3494387
Same. Anyone that complains about the barrel isn't even a scrub, they're just a fucking mongoloid that probably can't even tie their own damn shoes.
>>
>>3496131
literally what are you talking about?
>>3496134
>imblying anyone here hasn't figured it out
>imblying the point is that it's unintuitive bullshit
>>
File: penguinposting.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px)
penguinposting.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3496142
>unintuitive
>translation: I couldn't figure out the barrel puzzle without GameFAQs
>>
>>3496152
nope. but pushing random buttons is not good game design.
>your just dumb xDD
wow ebin argument furries
>>
>>3493325
Here's a circus tent symbolizing the ups and down of life.

>>3494814
Tails hover (which is avaible even on regular gameplay) on Marble Garden boss is nowhere near being comparable to the barrel since you can move D-Pad in all directions and the boss isn't "almost beatable" by repeatedly pressing the jump button.

A much better comparison would be the lifts in Mushroom Hill, but no one got stuck on those because they gave you instant visual & audial feedback ONLY when pressing down. If the barrel made a sound when pressing up and down, you could immediately tell there's more to it than mindless jumping.
>>
File: The Solution.jpg (338KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
The Solution.jpg
338KB, 640x480px
>>3496278
There's a difference in your tent analogy. There's no white arrow pointing down like the barrel in Sonic 3. That's the hint they were literally giving you to solve that puzzle.
>>
I tried bounching and also pushing up and down.

I didn't really get it but I managed to get past it anyway.

another dumb meme but I wouldn't say it's as bad as Navi being annoying
>>
>>3496310
>the barrel very vaguely tells you it can go up and down
ok?? that does nothing to tell you to hold down on the d-pad and only reinforces the whole physics aspect
>>
>>3496310

If that's the first thing a player thinks of when they see the barrel, then they must be autistic. Then again, that's the main characteristic of a Sonic fan.
>>
>>3496569
>>3496484
>posting on /vr/
>not being on the spectrum

I want normalfags to die.
>>
>>3496484
A guy in one of these threads claimed that the manual explained it. I asked him the page and proved him wrong, he said it was the Japanese manual and I proved him wrong, then he said it was the PAL manual.

AKA: The one manual I couldn't find scans of.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.