[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best consumer CRT for retro gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20140518_135928.jpg (104KB, 1128x821px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140518_135928.jpg
104KB, 1128x821px
What are the best CRT's for retro gaming consoles excluding things like PC monitors, PVMs, or BVMs?
>>
Subjective but generally non-Wega Trinitrons with both component and Svideo inputs. Wegas are good too but they're deeper, heavier and suffer worse corner distortion and only gain less glare. Likewise, aperture grille isn't an absolute objectively superior technology so many name brand CRTs are worth the $0-$10 they can be had for. You'll probably want them to have both Svideo and component inputs though.
>>
Late era (post 2000) 4:3 Toshibas are great and can be had much cheaper than Trinitrons.
>>
>>3492831
Triniton is expensive and heavy but the 21 model is good
samsung not so good
toshiba only those with s-video made before 2005

I sold all my CRT tvs due to 60hz flashing .. my eyes can't handle it anymore
>>
>>3492831
Nothing with a flat screen, they have bad geometry. Don't believe the Trinitron hype, it's about as bad as the PVM bullshit. Sharp made great consumer CRTs.
>>
File: ZenithConciergeSeries-Oct-2015.jpg (94KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
ZenithConciergeSeries-Oct-2015.jpg
94KB, 720x960px
Very late Zenith, some lovely late Daewoo.
Post-1998 CRTs in general are wonderful.
Don't go with anything older than 1994 because half of the sets have shit black-- especially 80s Zeniths, they could only make navy blue where black should be.
Perfect blacks can be had in any of those silver colored-case flat-crt tv's from the early 2000s.
I prefer my late 90s Zenith, the colors and black are awesome but it doesn't have the bulk of those flat-crt's.

Mine is called a "Concierge" Zenith. It was made for motels and hospitals and stuff. It's great. I have a much better, wood tv stand now, fwiw.
>>
>have trinitron flat screen
>has meh geometry but looks amazing
>have a 14 inch pvm
>he great geometry but, imo, looks dull

I like my 27 inch trinitron tv sorry
>>
>>3493278
ive also noticed pvms have dull color. I think its a white balance setting. they are hard to get colors right.
>>
>>3492831
Philips CRTs are pretty good. I've got a large post 2000 one for free and it works pretty well. Only downside is that it has occasional ghosting on black backgrounds but it ain't a big deal to me. Should be easy to find one both in Europe and in the US.
>>
>>3492831
Depends what you're looking for. There are a lot of good options circa 2000. You can get a 30"+ 16:9 that's got a great picture and works with just about everything. Or you can do like my mate and get one with an upscaler/line doubler that can't be turned off and be forever known as that guy with the 200lbs LCD.
I have a few and most are too big for most peoples basements. But I have a 21" Toshiba that's multi system and has component and is ideal for gaming and not too big. Still weights a lot but it's not as deep as things were a few years earlier.
>>
>>3492841
Someone gave me a widescreen Toshiba of that era. It's a damn nice TV and the menu features are pretty comprehensive too.
>>
File: 1344777914333_bulletin.jpg (46KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
1344777914333_bulletin.jpg
46KB, 425x640px
Late 80s Toshibas are so sexy. I have one of these and it still works perfectly fine after 30 years. The screen is almost flat. No stereo though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.