[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old-school 4X games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: moo2.png (356KB, 400x475px)
moo2.png
356KB, 400x475px
Is Master of Orion 2 still the best 4X game ever made? Will they EVER make a modern space 4X game as good as the old ones?
>>
File: moo2screen.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
moo2screen.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 20160826045942_1.jpg (207KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
20160826045942_1.jpg
207KB, 1366x768px
>>3488079
>Will they EVER make a modern space 4X game as good as the old ones?
This is not ever happening.

Indies don't have the resources or experience to dedicate the man-hours and professionalism of the devs of yesteryear, and studios today find themselves in a completely different market, where you are no longer the target audience.

Let's consider that the guys who spearheaded Conquer the Stars were fans of Master of Orion, it was essentially a vanity project since they made money hand over fist with World of Tanks, so they were in some ways immunized from these problems. What happened? A casualized MoO2, with shoehorned Civ5 shit. Not that I didn't play the hell out of it.

You can probably look forward to more beer and pretzels, or coffee break type strategy games -- whatever you want to call them.
>>
>>3488098
I've seen a lot of MoO:CtS, and while I don't want to play huge amounts of it right now, if it were brought to tablets? I'd play the SHIT out of it.
>>
I kind of prefer the first one myself.
>>
I liked the third one, after applying the fan bug-fix patches. It was a solid game under all the horrible coding fuckups and unexplained mechanics.

It just wasn't a MoO game at heart.
>>
>>3488098
>>3491268
These. The new game is a shit MOO game, but a below average 4X game. You're better off playing SOTS or a game in that direction since you'll get more for less.

As far as MOO3 goes, I agree that it's a decent game on its own once you fix the bugs, but another shitty MOO game. I'd still play it even with the bugs over the newest game though.

Another thing about the new game is how they fucked up the races. For some odd reason the Mrrshan have no tails, are good on the ground for combat and are good in diplomacy, when in the first game people hated them for being vicious warlords and they didn't care too much in the second one. They were also good in space, while the bears were good on the ground. The Darlok look like they're from Mass Effect, and the Psilons look like the midgets as they did in the third one, which was pretty lame.
>>
>>3488079
>Is Master of Orion 2 still the best 4X game ever made?
IMHO Civ4 and SMAC are strong contenders.
>>
>>3492329
>Civ4
>Strong contender
Good kek right there. AC isn't a bad choice though. I'm almost happy that it's been left alone so far.
>IMHO
Piss off, faggot.
>>
>>3492336
Now, tell me, what is wrong with Civ4?
It's probably not that it's "casualized bullshit", given that its Emperor level is way harder than the previous two installments' Deity level (and, by extension, Civ1's Emperor level), or that the game is way more complex than its precedessors, or that it cleaned up a shitload of confusing and downright annoying to manage mechanics, such as the corruption mechanic, the necessity of micromanaging overflow down to every shield, or exploits such as the RoP Rape or obliterating the AI with Spies/Diplomats?

Civ4's AI even cheats only by giving itself bonus techs, production capability, science capacity - something you'd assumedly know you're getting into if you pick a difficulty above standard. . Civ2's AI cheats by having planes with infinite fuel and being able to bribe your capital - and yet I still have a fairly easy time with Deity games.

So what's the problem?

>AC was left alone
Beyond Earth exists. It's not good. It tried to be modern SMAC.
>>
>>3492336
>I hate Leonard Nimoy
This is what you sound like.
>>
>>3492351
>Beyond Earth exists
At least they had the decency not to use the AC name in the title. Honestly, when that game was announced, it just made me want to play more AC.
>>
>>3492403
>Making shit up
Don't even try that, anon. Leonard was based in that game.
>>3492351
Nothing is wrong with it, it just isn't a strong contender in my opinion. AC always held my interests more. Also, you sound like a sperg going off over my little comment.
>Beyond Earth exists. It's not good. It tried to be modern SMAC.
Maybe so, but it's not Alpha Centauri, so you don't have as many fags trying to jump on the bandwagon and claim that the older version was shit and how this game is better.
>>
>>3492661
>Nothing is wrong with it, it just isn't a strong contender in my opinion.
Given that it's a part of one of the most long-standing 4X franchises ever, I figured it would at the very least be somewhere in the higher echelons of the genre. Civ4 is the best Civ in my book, as a long time player.
>you sound like a sperg
You got quite flustered yourself.
>>
>>3492687
>You got quite flustered yourself.
Not at all, but you're welcome to think so.

I'm not saying it's bad, I just had more fun with AC. Out of those games I'd put it as the strong contender, and even then MOO1-2 wins out in my book.
>>
File: WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE.jpg (1001KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE.jpg
1001KB, 1920x1080px
>>3488079
>Will they EVER make a modern space 4X game as good as the old ones?
They did, it's called Distant Worlds.
>>
>>3488079
Yes. It is also the best RTS ever made.
>moo3 a shit
>moo4 breddy gud, just updated moo2
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.