[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terrible Retro Controller Designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

File: n64-pad.png (827KB, 1024x802px) Image search: [Google]
n64-pad.png
827KB, 1024x802px
I'll start with an obvious one.
>>
Anything made by Hori
>>
>>3484098
OP falls for the memes.
>>
File: 1439954969290.jpg (752KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1439954969290.jpg
752KB, 1080x1920px
>>3484098
It plays the games designed around it and has yummy M&M buttons. What's not to like?
>>
>>3484107
You don't have access to all inputs without shifting your left hand around or stretching your hand uncomfortably.
>>
>>3484117
the games use either D-pad + L button or Joystick + Z button. it's not an issue. unless you're playing a meme game
>>
>>3484120
It is an issue. What if I want to move around with the analog stick but navigate menus with D-pad?
>>
>>3484103
Surely you jestin

Hori is a perennial choice for quality alternative controllers. They even made official stuff like the super game boy.
>>
The N64 controller is well designed. The analogue would be better on the left, but everything else is perfect, especially the z-trigger behind which should be in every controller.
>>
>>
>>3484147
VMUs were awesome, but besides that, yeah. It's not the worst thing ever but it could have been a lot better, too.
>>
File: PS1-d-pad.jpg (72KB, 616x364px) Image search: [Google]
PS1-d-pad.jpg
72KB, 616x364px
>>
>>3484147
Would have been a good controller if the D-pad wasn't complete dogshit.
Same problem with the Gamecube controller.
>>
>>3484098
>>3477414
Well now we're in conflict.
>>
>>3484162
there is always that one butthurt nintenfags that's going to act like a triggered bitch.
>>
>>3484217
>SEGA and every other company had a normal D-pad that wasn't the equivalent of using the front buttons to control your character
lmao stay mad le nintenfag top kek XD
>>
>>3484217

>every time someone says something bad about our Sony overlords, it definitely MUST be a nintendofag.
>>
>>3484162
and then the Analog controller came out and then no one gave a shit about the crappy dpad
>>
>>3484121
Then use the stick with your right hand :)
>>
>>3484121
>What if I want to move around with the analog stick but navigate menus with D-pad?
What, at the same time? WTF kinda game are you playin?
>>
>>3484121
There's a directional button on the right prong too retard.
>>
>>3484162
This and then this. >>3484423

Literally no reason to use the d-pad after the DS1 came out (except for stuff like RE or Silent Hill).
>>
File: NES-controller.jpg (282KB, 2200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
NES-controller.jpg
282KB, 2200x1600px
The actual layout is obviously good and logical, but the ergonomics of this are trash.
>>
File: nesdogbone.jpg (9KB, 284x200px) Image search: [Google]
nesdogbone.jpg
9KB, 284x200px
>>3484535
Agreed. The dog bone, however, is super comfy.
>>
>>3484423
>>3484531
Strange, I had a ps1 growing up and almost never used the analogue controls even though I owned dual shock controllers exclusively. Most of the games I played didn't make good use of them, and when they did it usually felt more precise using the d-pad.

I guess I'm in the minority who finds the PS style d-pad to be acceptable (if not ideal), while the analog sticks feel flimsy and imprecise to me.

I also feel like the N64 controller is extremely comfortable and I can't think of a single game in my collection where I have to shift my hand position at any point. The only games I really use the D-Pad for are Bangaioh and Mischief Makers. Almost every N64 game is designed around analog controls anyway.
>>
File: Intellivision.jpg (58KB, 900x545px) Image search: [Google]
Intellivision.jpg
58KB, 900x545px
Too many buttons. Too few fingers.
>>
>>3484440
Then I have to shift my *right* hand back and forth betwen the buttons.

Why can't the pad just have TWO prongs? Like every other pad?
>>
>>3484506
>C-buttons == D-pad

Get a load of this fucktard.
>>
File: skBwCBl.png (1MB, 1635x1368px) Image search: [Google]
skBwCBl.png
1MB, 1635x1368px
>>3484569
You've got to be bullshitting me.
>>
>>3484458
Those actually are the controls for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D... which obviously isn't an N64 title.
>>
>>3484617
I'm playing Xenoblade on my N64.
>>
>>3484619
Are you a wizard?
>>
>>3484619
pics or GTFO
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDgOn0hqX4

Worst of all time by far.

NES Powerglove is terrible, but it's too obvious.
>>
>>3484458
>>3484617
And Dark Souls.
And Monster Hunter.
But no N64 games.
>>
File: be9.jpg (51KB, 600x652px) Image search: [Google]
be9.jpg
51KB, 600x652px
>>
File: 1463302570789.jpg (260KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463302570789.jpg
260KB, 1280x720px
>>3484147
this shit was bomb
>>
>>3484147
manlet detected
>>
The Playstation family of controllers. Dualshock can fuck off and die.
>>
>>3484098
>Retro Controller Designs 2000 babies can't into

>>3484117
This is the problem with autists and their disconnect with the real world. No games require you to use all inputs so it's irrelevant. It's like bitching that a car has a back seat when you only ever drive alone. Because no wants to be around you.
>>
File: controller.jpg (32KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
controller.jpg
32KB, 400x267px
The Atari Jaguar had the worst controller I've ever used in my life.
>>
Why are most people in this thread posting good controllers?
>>
>>3484147
I was playing sonic adventure the other day and realized that the analog stick is not very good. everything else on it is fine, and it feels comfortable in my hand but the analog stick feels very cheap
>>
File: Atari-5200-Controller.jpg (1MB, 2320x2540px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-5200-Controller.jpg
1MB, 2320x2540px
>>3484098

>enter thread
>ctrl f 5200
>0 results

Bitches, leave.
>>
>>
>>3484098
not sure why a controller with so few buttons needed such an obtuse design. no game benefitted from this design and would've been better off with a more dualshock-ish design.
>b-but games are designed around it
no fucking shit. every game ever is designed around whatever controller it's made for. doesn't make the controller well-designed
>>3484162
that's actually better than the ps3's dpad imo
>>
>>3490227
It was one of the earliest 3d controllers, and Nintendo wanted to make sure that the controller would still be good for 2d games if 3d didn't really catch on.
>>
>>3490227
>no game benefitted from this design

Bangai-O and Sin and Punishment utilize the N64's control design to its fullest, although it's more of a choice, you can opt to play right or left-side.

>that's actually better than the ps3's dpad imo

You mean ps4? the playstation kept the same d-pad for 3 generations.
>>
>>3484162

The most accurate d-pad, how can you hate it? Most controllers have you balancing your thumb on the highest point, in the middle. This d-pad has the lowest point in the middle, creating less room for slipping off.
>>
>>3491249

A segmented d-pad can never be the most balanced or accurate.
>>
>>3491249

>slipping off

Never happened to me, with any d-pad.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (267KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
267KB, 3000x1688px
>>3484147
I hate:
the dpad
the analog stick
the 4 face buttons (should be 6)
the wire at the front
the shoulder buttons/how cramped your hands get when you're needing to press the shoulder triggers

Saturn 3d controller was such a better design. It's a shame
>>
>>3491329
to be fair, I have a saturn 3D pad under my hands right now, and while it's pretty good, the analog stick has a fatal flaw. It has a short length. The maximum angle is the same as other controllers, but the decreased length makes picking an intermediate position harder. If it had a stalk, it would be better. Wasn't the DC analog just a saturn analog with a longer stalk? Or is just the top texture of the DC is terrible?
Also the d-pad on this thing feels almost better than the standard 2d pad, holy shit
>>
>>3491257
It's not segmented, have you ever fucking used it?
>>
>>3484147
I wouldn't say it's terrible, it just pales in comparison to the Saturn and Mega Drive controllers. It's a lot more comfortable than it looks, but the stick is slippery and the d-pad is a rubbish Nintendo-style cross one.
>>
>>3484120
Maybe games that use them all could have been made if the shitty controller didn't cripple what developers could do, ye daft bugger.

The games that exist not requiring you to use all the inputs is not an argument in the favour of this controller!
>>
>>3491249
No, the most accurate is the Saturn dpad.
>>
>>3491482
Not that this shit ever maters since the system is ever going to have enough games for this to matter. N64 has like 5 games, nintendo had no problems taking advantage of the controller.
>>
>>3491261
He has underage mutant turtle thumbs
>>
File: sega-genesis-3-button.jpg (20KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
sega-genesis-3-button.jpg
20KB, 500x363px
Not even trolling
>bulbous "handle" design which is uncomfortable to hold.
>Overly-large D-pad
>Under-sensitive D-pad at the same time
>No select button
>No shoulder buttons
>Start button placement which makes no fucking sense
and worst of all...
>A THREE FOOT CORD
They either expected your face right in front of the TV, or to have the console itself practically in your lap.
>>
>>3492615
>Under-sensitive D-pad at the same time
>A THREE FOOT CORD

Those varied between controllers. Many different manufacturers were making them, some had wobbly shit d-pad, others were too sturdy. Cord size also differed, some had very long cords.

>No select button
>No shoulder buttons

It's a 1988 controller that was meant to compete with the NES and PC Engine. And they updated it with the 6-button pad later that also had a shoulder button.
Select is not necessary.

>Overly-large D-pad

No, it was Nintendo that had too small ones. Pressing diagonals was never as easy on any other pads as it is on the Genesis one.

>Start button placement which makes no fucking sense

Having it on the center makes no sense either, since you have to lift your thumb away from one of the primary controls to press it.

>They either expected your face right in front of the TV, or to have the console itself practically in your lap.

We used to have the console out on a table in front of the couch we sat on in the TV room.
This way we also didn't have to get up and go to the other side of the room to change games.
>>
>>3484145
these aren't good for my wittle baboo hands.
also- rubber on the joystick wouldn't have been a bad idea.
other than that, yeah they're good controllers.
I personally am not a fan of the genesis controller, the gamecube will forever be the best i think
>>
>>3484107
I wish "eggman" would stop being so gay and hit me up.
>>
>>3492656

Sega apologists comin thru
>>
>>3492615
Lack of select button is good thing, since majority of games didn't even use it or it was used as third button(keep in mind when genesis came out), so replacing it with "C" button makes more sense. Start buttons location is better than in most controllers, since its a lot easier to access and you don't have move your thumb all the way away from main buttons.

D-pad is much superior than the other controllers at time, for one it doesn't kill your thumb like nes controller. But d-pad and cord length varies by a lot since there was many variations of it.

>No shoulder buttons
No shit sherlock, keep in mind that genesis came out way before snes, and tell me, what other controllers had shoulder buttons?
>>
>>3492809
But anon, I thought sega does what nintendon't... guess that doesn't apply to shoulder buttons.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.