[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulation VS Hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
Im having a hard time deciding what I like more.

What do you prefer?
>>
>>3483325
I like the accessibility of games without game hunting so emulators.
>>
>>3483325
I lost my left thumb in an accident meaning I can't really use a controller.
>>
>>3483325
Figure out your own clickbait, Matei.
>>
>>3483325
Emulation for short, random play times.
Hardware for games I love and want to get gud at.
>>
>>3483340
Happen to my friend, but they moved his pointer finger to where his thumb is so he'd have a thumb.
>>
>>3483325
Emulators. I can listen to my reptilian conspiracy videos while I play Castlevania all at the same time. What more could I ask for?
>>
Because game collecting sucks ass because the community is so cucked by not only accepting resellers but encouraging it, emulation is the way of the future.

Of course hardware is better 99% of the time but in the modern era it's just not feasible. Hopefully someday N64 and PS2 emulation gets good.

I got my grail that being Conker's Bad Fur Day on my birthday and just told the game collectors to go fuck themselves. Glad I got out because emulation has been getting better and better with more convenience then ever before.
>>
>>3483364
Is that you, Richie?
>>
>>3483325
Emulation is on par 99% of the time with real hardware, especially with Retroarch and its hard vsync feature. You can save and restore if you have adult shit to do, and it doesn't require a million autism boxes and cartridges everywhere. Connect PC to a TV and you're golden for just about everything. Even the outliers like N64 an PS2 can usually be finagled.
>>
>>3483372
Whoa... don't tell anyone.
>>
>>3483325

Original hardware. Only real choice for speedrunning or trying out glitches. It's the more expensive option even with a flashcart but it's cycle for cycle accurate.
>>
>>3483397
Your latest vid reminded me how much I missed your Z list celeb ramblings from... that podcast. I hunger for more. *crackhead scratch*
>>
>>3483347
Why the pointer finger and not one of the 3 useless fingers?
>>
>>3483364
That's the life
>>
>>3483325
I prefer playing on the real thing, but emulators are ok.
>>
>>3483325
>what do you prefer black paper or white paper
>uses white paper with a white pen because too retarded to think for self

>>3483385
>emulation is on par 99% of the time with real hardware
>i emulate NES muhrio games exclusively
>>
File: tron_1982.jpg (25KB, 623x300px) Image search: [Google]
tron_1982.jpg
25KB, 623x300px
Kind of a side question but the chinese nes emulation handhelds are everywhere on ebay and aliexpress, are there any reasonably priced snes handhelds? Not the all in one android ones but like coolboys and coolbaby but for snes
>>
>>3484886
Oh fucking please. Everything up to PS1 has cycle accurate, fully compatible emulation solutions and lag can be reduced to just-about-CRT levels with the right settings. Mednafen Saturn runs most things perfectly and will probably run all things perfectly soon. Dolphin better than the actual consoles it emulates. Enlighten me, how am I wrong?
>>
File: 1452828274737.jpg (19KB, 425x279px) Image search: [Google]
1452828274737.jpg
19KB, 425x279px
Really? I always thought having an opinion was a prerequisite for being on 4chan.

But, uh, it really doesn't matter. People beat games with emulation glitches, mainly because they probably don't care as much as we'd like to think. Emulate for maximum value, collect for authenticity. The only thing hardware has on emulation is that it's very "plug-and-play", but even that's slowly going away.

I suppose people collect for the same reason people collect anything, really. Historical value and/or cultural relevance.
>>
>>3484923
>i really am this retarded
Yes. Yes, you are. Like I said. you must only play NES muhrio if you believe that shit.
>>
>>3484893
I saw one on Ali the other day for 70.
>>
>>3485159
>no examples of great bugs in today emulators
>>
>>3484893
There's some kind of SoC that will run NES/SNES/MD/GBC/A games you see a lot of handheld game players that claim to support this so I assume they're all using the same hardware. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes including to plug into the TV but the original and cheapest ones (around $20) are all shaped like PSPs. Don't expect to see them for sale by US sellers though because the patents on some of that shit are still in force here.
>>
>>3483325
hardware is better, but only with card reader catridge
>>
>>3483325
Emulator for 3D games usually better assuming it works in said emulator. 2D stuff is usually better on real hardware and CRT.

Not always the case though. Its a draw for me. No loser.
>>
>>3485269
This.
Except really early 3D stuff.

Anything not-retro really looks better on emulator
>>
emulatoring is the LUXURY way of playing these old turdy games, when i was a wee tot back in the outback i always dreamed of the day i cud sit on a solid gold CRAPPER and play EVERY GAME KNOWN TO MAN from the LUXURY of my solid gold CRAPPER and now it has come to forwishon, cause i can kick back on the ol CRAPPEROONI and play my EMULATION RASPBERRY PIE DEVICE in the LUXURY of my LUXURIOUS CRAPPER and DROP A BIG DEUCE which was composed to fillay min yawns and shampain and not have to pay megabux to them GREEDY GREASY SCUMBAG RESELLERS!!!!
>>
1. Collect the good games YOU like.
2. Get a flash cart for the rest.
3. Emulate the garbage games
>>
>>3485301
Shut up, Canadian.
>>
>>3483325

Definitely an original hardware fag

I don't have good reasons, it just feels better, and I'm more likely to value a game I purchased than one I downloaded.
>>
>>3485181
Yeah I was thinking more like $20
>>
>>3485257
I've been scouting ax and gearbest, do you have a link?
>>
Emulation due to avoiding issues with 30 year old electronics.....dry capacitors, 240p on HDTVs, dead batteries, ..the list goes on
>>
File: 1450865884720.jpg (2MB, 2000x2857px) Image search: [Google]
1450865884720.jpg
2MB, 2000x2857px
At the moment I'm playing SMB3 on the NES real hardware and Harvest Moon for SNES on the emulator.

It's nice to own the physical carts but it's not worth the price they tend to cost. So I buy the carts when I find them cheap at garage sales etc and emulate the rest.
>>
Everdrive is the best of both worlds in my opinion but really it's whatever makes your life better.
>>
>>3485212
>no examples of great pumpkin not being real.
It's common knowledge. Educate yourself sport. That's not my job.
>>
>>3483325
Emulation is good for the convenience, extra features such as save states and x4 play speed, and obviously it's free.

The hardware is the real deal, which provides nostalgia for people who grew up on it, as well as an atmosphere exclusive to the system.

There's a certain feeling about plugging in my Super Nintendo to my old CRT TV's antenna input and gaming the way I did as a child. An emulator can't replace this.
>>
>>3485269
Yeah. N64 emulation is the shit!

>>3485958
>im afraid of electronics older than me
>>
>>3486090
He's right, you're wrong.
>>
>>3486116
>There's a certain feeling about plugging in my Super Nintendo to my old CRT TV's antenna input and gaming the way I did as a child
No there isn't, that's retarded.
>>
>>3486730
He's wrong. You're wrong. Because you're samefag. What a sad little fool. I guess you never bothered trying to emulate much N64 stuff since it was before your time and you don't nostalg for it.
>>
Emulation when it's really good (genesis, SNES, NES, PS1). The real deal when it's not (n64, dreamcast).
>>
>>3483591
>the ring finger
>useless

Sigh... Maybe someday.
>>
>>3485159
>m-muh overpriced and overvalued autism library is totally j-justified... you only play M-muhrio (heh)

Chug some more of that collector koolaid and chase it with some bleach. Emulation for up to 5th gen barring N64 is perfect or so close that it's indistinguishable now. Do some research. I've been playing these games since the 80s and seen the progress of emulation since the 90s.

Still waiting on the wealth of gameplay affecting emulation issues and visual artifacts for the above systems on the best emulators available.
>>
>>3487810
He probably read that article about ZSNES written by another emulator dev, completely missed the context, and decided "wtf I hate emulators now!"
>>
>>3487814
ZSNES is indeed pretty trashcore by today's standards. Was lovely back in the 90s though.
>>
>>3487820
Still great hack compatibility
>>
>>3483325
I wish Dreamcast was emulated better.

>Rayman 2
>texture flickering, layering, and transparency issues all up ons in every emulator, including the currently meming Reicast

Fucking when? They all seem to have priority, texture, shadow, and layering issues making it *just* too janky to enjoy.
>>
WHY NOT BOTH?
Really this is retarted, when people are presenting such false dillemma.

Emulation:
Playing for HIGH accesibility, not worrying about the catridges. Plus netplay, fucking around with lua scripts and many more!

Hardware:
An experience on its own. It feels really nice to play on it.
>>
>>3487606
>he had N64 instead of superior game catalogue of PS1
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>still defends hardware
>samefag
Summer's end can't come soon enough.
>>
File: active2.jpg (88KB, 662x505px) Image search: [Google]
active2.jpg
88KB, 662x505px
>>3484893
It's been delayed a bit, but when it comes out this thing's going to meet your criteria.
>>
File: whacky wheels.gif (20KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
whacky wheels.gif
20KB, 320x200px
>>3483325
Original hardware, massively.

Emulation is just a mess and lame. Ports are pretty meh too.

If I had better access to S-video devices, I wouldn't mind so much. Multiple video out would also be a plus.

More analog-vga too. I wish I had a monitor that would balance normally on its side. With two input too. I have a goddamn 4:3 LCD screen with FOUR different inputs, but CRT screens just have the single measly most of the time. There's too many sources of input lag adding up. Controllers have gotten pretty lousy, so that's a con now too.
>>
>>3483325
Most pre-1999 systems are accurately emulated, so the games play 99.9% the same as the real hardware.

There may be some latency in some cases but the vast majority of people can't perceive any difference either way since it is at most 1-2 frames in optimal conditions.
>>
>>3487987
Deflecting, projecting. Want to squeeze any other ings in there sport?

We're talking about the meme that emulation is perfect. You've been BTFO there so I understand your prepubescent reaction. But all it does it show your age, not make you any look more right.

I have plenty of PSXs, as well as N64s, Saturns, and a whole slew of others. I know it's impossible for an emubaby like you to comprehend that. So i expect another tantrum about that.

Totally agree about Summer not ending soon enough kiddo.
>>
>>3487606
>cherrypicking N64

Even that has accurate emulation these days provided your PC is fast enough to run Angrylion LLE RDP with a LLE RSP like cxd4.

You have no arguments for systems older than N64 except for perhaps obscure shit like Jaguar that no one cares about because they have no games.
>>
>>3488483
N64 emulation is basically flawless if you have the CPU power to run the accurate plugins.

No one claimed all emulation was perfect, but pre-N64 systems are well emulated at this point that turning your nose up to their emulators means you are autistic beyond belief.
>>
since i've never had to blow on a rom to get it working i'd say emulators.

original consoles rarely even have saves too, savestate is godly even if only to save something to come back to later.
>>
>>3488484
>cherrypicking
Top kek kid. I bet you complain that when your teacher doesn't give you 100% on a test it's because she's cherry picking your wrong answers. Better try harder. Because an autist can never make a mistake ya know.

>>3488497
You're wrong on all counts. Let's start with the obvious provable one.
>>3484923
>Everything up to PS1 has cycle accurate, fully compatible emulation solutions
So yes, it was claimed.
The rest is just you getting all defensive because your a poorfag emubaby. I never said anything about turning my nose up. I only corrected a bullshitting fool.

You see kids. This is why so many people despite emubabies. Many of us have nothing again emulating. But when you insecure little shits bullshit to justify your lack of hardware and then sperg out when your corrected you just make yourselves look like a pack of asshats.
>>
>>3483325
Flashcart dumbass
>>
>>3483325
both , get both , stop being a poor cunt.

This is as fucken stupid as those poor cunts that argue over what's better , Xbox One , PS4 or PC , get all that shit , hardware is cheaper now than it has ever been.
Work hard and get the shit you want , people have opinions , deal with it.
>>
>>3488624
He already used all his crack whore moms cash on buying a second hand Play for $5. He can't even afford famiclone from the taco stand on the corner.
>>
Hardware cause I'm not a poorfag
>>
I've been only emulating for years and I've started really wanting to get a couple systems and a CRT, I put enough hours every week in old games that it makes sense

I like old electronics for their own sake though
>>
>>3485159
>>3484886

You know what's really ironic? It's actually the Mario games (especially SMB1 and Super Mario World) that still feel "off" on emulation compared to original hardware while most if not all other games are pretty much indistinguishible like >>3484923 and >>3487810
say.

Greetings, SNES hardwarefag.
>>
>>3489748
How do you explain TASs played back on real hardware then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QlihJAZEQ
>>
>>3489767(You)(You)
>feel

Did you not pay attention to my comment or are you just out for a (You)?
>>
>>3483325
I didn't want to start a new thread and this one seems like a good place to ask.

What are some of the best compilations or collections? What I'm meaning is, the PS3 has a Genesis collection, PS1 had some arcade collections, and so on. Which has some of the best collection of games?
>>
>>3488563
>You're wrong on all counts. Let's start with the obvious provable one.
>>Everything up to PS1 has cycle accurate, fully compatible emulation solutions

You didn't prove shit wrong, dude. N64 comes after PS1, you imbecile. SNES, NES, Game Boy, PC-Engine, Genesis etc. are all emulated to high degrees of accuracy, claiming otherwise is to ignore objective reality.

The only one insecure here is you. Because you are insecure about wasting untold amounts of money on things that are easily emulated for far less money.

/vr/ hardware-only faggots are the worst.
>>
>>3483325
Real hardware all day, but emulation is ok too
>>
Emulation is a second rate experience. It never feels as right as owning the original game and hardware.
>>
File: 1472748266875.jpg (20KB, 300x288px) Image search: [Google]
1472748266875.jpg
20KB, 300x288px
>>3490748
>untold amounts of money
>old vidya is prohibitively expensive
Spot the poorfag
>>
>>3490748
Show me a cycle accurate TI 99/4(A) emulator sport.
No one is talking about "high degrees of accuracy", we're talking about "cycle accurate, fully compatible emulation solutions"
Again, you're making an ass out of yourself with your insecurities. I'm not a "/vr/ hardware-only faggot". I'm just someone pointing out kids making up silly fairy tales. But all you see is a big bad hardware person who spent at least a years worth of your allowance on things you wish you had. Your posts are overflowing with assmad.
>>
What are currently the best flash carts available for the NES, SNES, and Genesis?
>>
>>3491578
Don't own any but I hear ever drives are pretty good, but a bit pricey
>>
>>3491301
>TI 99/4(A)
ma nigga
>>
File: once you pop.jpg (200KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
once you pop.jpg
200KB, 400x534px
If you have the money to waste on buying the original hardware and all the games to go with it, go right ahead. Sometimes the hardware will clearly be the superior option (like with the N64) or basically the only option (like with Saturn or Dreamcast), but everything before this emulates totally fine 99% of the time and with practically zero hassle (no dealing with plugins and settings and shit). The differences are ususally so incredibly miniscule that you'd have to be going out of your way to find them (very slightly different colour palattes and things like that). Get yourself a good gamepad and you're all set, you might even have one already if you own an PS3/4 or whatever. You don't need to waste money, you don't need to waste space. You can use savestates in older games without save systems if you wanna quit and come back to them later without leaving your machine on all night long, and you can use them to bypass annoying password systems too. That's definitely one significant advantage that emulation has over the original hardware that most anti-emulation types will always ignore (or laughably try to label it as 'cheating').

Really the main arguments for the original hardware are that:

>In a minority of cases, it really is the the vastly superior option.
>You like collecting things that, half of the time, you play once and let them gather dust.
>It just 'feels' better. You the tangibility of physical things
>You've got a boner for nostalgia and you're desperately trying to relive your childhood.
>You're a retro elitist. You think anyone who doesn't play on the original hardware is 'poor' or 'underage' or just isn't playing the game 'properly'. Playing on the original hardware inexplicably makes you feel better than other people (lot of these weirdos in this thread right now).
>You honestly either have a lot of money to spare on useless things or you have absolutely nothing else to spend your money on.
>>
>>3483325
I prefer emulators. you can hook up any controller, you dont have to switch a console out for another, and you have more access to more games including hacks and patched roms. and with emulators on practically anything that has a display screen you can game from a portable phone to a big ass TV
>>
I like both. Emulation being cheap and dirty, and actual hardware for the REAL thing. Most of the 16bit emus out there are neither accurate in picture or in sound, period. This this comes from a guy with literally no money. And yeah people on this board need to stop pulling crap out of their asses just to justify their choices.
>>
>>3490784
Have fun buying SNES games for $300.
>>
>hurr durr poorfag

It's called being a smart consumer and not wasting money on frivilous things like video games. I have thousands of dollars saved up from a full time job but I still pirate and emulate all day every day
>>
>>3491301
>TI 99/4(A)

Probably MESS. Note: cycle accuracy is overrated. LLE alone is usually good enough for compatibility.

>grasping at straws
>>
>>3491301
>TI 99/4(A)
>home computers
Nice goal post moving. No one cares about emulating computers before Windows, emulation is all about consoles.
>>
>>3483325
Well I'm poor so I prefer emulators
>>
>>3483325
emulation due to the fact that it's much more convenient and cheap in the long run, despite having jump through some hoops for Nintendo systems, although it's not even that much of a struggle, not to mention being able to use a variety of preferred controllers, save states (although i don't use them), and playing never released or translated games. I'll admit I'm autistic and enjoy having a physical system and games
>>
What's the difference between original and v1.1 PS1 games
>>
I bought a Wonderswan because it's a handheld and the control scheme makes emulation a pain. For consoles, emulation.
>>
>>3483325
I completely vouch for hardware which is why I bought everdrive flash carts for the three consoles that survived my childhood.
>>
These days I'm going emulation for single player games and hardware for some multiplayer games (or if there's no good ROM/Emulator combo I can find for a game)
>>
>>3487803
Thanks for proving even further the uselessness of the ring finger.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.