[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ book club type idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: 1462661646343.jpg (60KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1462661646343.jpg
60KB, 620x400px
Hey /vr/ I was curious if you guys wanted to try something out. This is just testing the waters, but, I figure it could be a neat idea en encourage people to play video games.

So you guys know about book clubs right? Everyone reads a book and comes back a month or so later to talk about their feelings of the book and shit right? I figured it could be neat to try something like that with video games. So roughly thinking the format could go like this:
We put up a strawpoll of suggestions from this thread. We vote on it, and then depending on the size of the game we give a week or month to play through it and then at the end vote on another game and discuss the one we were just playing with one another.

Of course, no one could be interested in this, this is why I'm making a thread before the fact. I just think it would be a really neat idea to create discussion, if you guys were up to it anyway. Anyway, let me know what you guys think, I'll check this thread in a few hours when I get back from working.
>>
It's been tried before. It worked for one game then nobody could decide what to play next.
>>
>>3478430
>>3478386
The idea gets tossed around every couple of months.

Problem is no one can decide. It's the same thing with the /vr/ gauntlet. Theres a shitload of just bad and what most would consider borderline unbeatable games (without exploits, and or investing a shitload of time and effort into getting gud at really stupid bad games)

You can try, and if you organize it I may even participate, but be prepared for very little interest.
>>
if we're to do this we would have to document it well. use webms and screenshots. which i'm willing to do if this gets off the ground. i might even do some art for it.
>>
File: cockroach.webm (129KB, 878x672px) Image search: [Google]
cockroach.webm
129KB, 878x672px
also I vote for quiz nanairo dreams
>>
>>3478461
How is that supposed to work?
Half of this board doesn't understand Japanese and even the rest isn't well versed in 90s pop culture.
The only way to win would be to memorize all the answers.

And if you really want a quiz it should be Cybernetic Hi-school.
>>
>>3478430
>>3478443
So we just filter what games go through, or set up only one person to decide what's going on right? I mean it sounds easy enough in that regard.

>>3478452
How would you suggest we document it, just set up a google page about it, pastebin everything. Screenshots and such I expect from people going along with us, but, I mostly want it to be a group experience kind of thing.

>>3478461
I rather it be in English since that's what majority of users here understand. It does look really surreal though.
>>
>>3478494
Wow, nice taste.
>>3478504
also yeah I guess you have a point.... I just wanna draw the characters mostly.

Okay, how about something like COSMIC SOLDIER: PSYCHIC WAR on DOS then? It's in english and abandonware.

For documenting, I guess we could set up a google page. Maybe after cleaning everything up we could make a digital magazine with supplemental materials being WebMs and/or music and zip it all up into a nice .rar
>>
Book clubs work because they're about getting out of the house to hang out with people and giving them something to talk about besides their day to day bull shit. For this type of thing to work, you need someone with good taste to curate this shit, and it doesn't seem like it would work on a mongolian mumbling board anyway because you can discuss whatever game you want without having to be told to. As it is, it's the same issue there ever is: we all have too many games to to play as it is. Our natural filters immediately start filtering out shit like COSMIC SOLDIER: PSYCHIC WAR on DOS because we can't get to the games we WANT to play, let alone ones some anon posts on /vr/.

By all means, go through with it, but have an actual plan and get beyond this idea guy nonsense.
>>
File: 61GBK4ERRWL.jpg (71KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
61GBK4ERRWL.jpg
71KB, 500x496px
I'm always game for these, OP. I'll always stick around until they die completely. Recommending Dragon Valor on a whim.
>>
I'd be into this OP. Sounds fun. Just suggest some shit or make a strawpoll yourself and even if we only get like a few people it could be cool.
>>
We tried something like this last year. It didn't work out and died around last Halloween.
>>
Always get debbie downers right away when we try to start these things. I've met /vr/ bros I'm still in contact with through events like these. It's fun for a while, even with only three or four participants. Don't have to go full hog with the online magazines and shit, those will never last. If you start a group, OP, I'm down.
>>
>>3479105

Yeah this is what I was thinking, even if we only get like 3 or 4 people it could still be great. Me, this guy and OP are 3 right there.
>>
>>3478639
Dragon Valor is a terrible game.

>>3479157
>>3479105
It depends on the games you pick. If it's something easily emulated, sure, but if you want some obscure DOS game or you start suggesting stuff like Commodore 64, or MSX you're definitely going to alienate a lot of people.

Something like this would probably work well in like a podcast format. The issue is you have to have people who are articulate to be on a podcast, not a bunch of spergs.
>>
>>3479105
Debbie downer here. People take that attitude because no one ever just tries to run things, they put out ideas and hope someone else runs with it. I'd love for someone to run something like that, but it takes an effective leader to clearly define how that shit works and give it enough structure that people are comfortable telling the naysayers to fuck off. If someone wants to take up the mantle, great, let's do this. More likely than not though, we'll get some bantering about straw polls and shitty suggestions and nothing will happen.
>>
>>3479371
>>>3479105
/vr/ just isn't really the appropriate forum to do this kind of thing in.

You could do a weekly thread, but if it dies then that's that.
>>
>>3479183
I'm somewhat charismatic and Dragon Valor is a decently fun game you big jerk.
>>
>>3478386
Maybe we can try it with games that are shorter and/or easier. My worry are dumbasses coming in and spouting shit about a game they know nothing about.
>>
>>3478386
Whatever, just name a game I'm not familiar with and I'll play out of boredom. This is not anything complex that needs to be thoroughly planned beforehand. We're here because we like playing retro games after all.

What's a good "make your own online pool" kind of site? So we can choose between the games suggested here.
>>
>>3479183
Dos is super simple to emulate with dosbox, it's win 95+ that is hard to emulate.
>>
OP here, shit hit the fan, so I'm just trying to catch up.

>>3480378
I think that would be the start to be honest. I don't think I'd mind trying common games as well since it can always lead to some interesting discussion. Negativity isn't necessary a bad way to discuss a game if it isn't just being contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.

Like a Mario game could be a good starting point, but, I feel like any negativity towards it would be just people wanting to be different. Not that there doesn't exist people who dislike the games for valid reasons, but, a lot of the time it doesn't feel genuine.

There's also a part of me that feels like this could potentially be better as something like a Discord chat, but, that may be going a bit too far. The thing I love most about 4chan and the reason I'd want to do it is because there's a layer of apparent anonymity. I want people to be earnest and speak their mind without holding back at all. I find that gives the best and worst types of discussions.

I think for the moment, I may just pick five games and I'll put up a strawpoll to start it. I'll think about it throughout the day, start with some easy picks and then branch out from there depending on how the feedback goes. I'll let you guys votes and whatever wins will be the first game.
>>
>>3480473
You are awesome op. Looking forward to your strawpoll
>>
>>3480473
Sounds good OP. Will be waiting.
>>
>>3480473
Picking a popular game doesn't strike me as a good idea. There's too much sentimentality surrounding them and we can see it all the time here. Rather than a discord chat, your book club would probably turn into a shitposting fest.

Also everyone here has probably played most of the popular games already, so the opinions on them are already formed. I'll be looking forward to your strawpoll.
>>
>>3481745

Picking le obscure PC-Engine CD Dating Sim is not going to do this any favors.

If you're going with more popular games you have an opportunity to have guys who have played it before nostalgia bomb, and guys who haven't played it before get some more impartial discussion, which you probably want.

I've never played a Sonic the Hedgehog game for instance, or really any Sega stuff outside of Arcade games. So it'd be nice to hear stuff about it from people who have played it (and aren't autistic about it)
>>
>>3481757

A nice mixture of obscure and popular sounds good to me.

As long as we pick stuff that is easy to find and emulate so the probably already very limited amount of participants doesn't get even more limited.
>>
>>3481757
>If you're going with more popular games you have an opportunity to have guys who have played it before nostalgia bomb

It's quite the opposite. Popular games are logically more susceptible of being played by your average "OMG I luv oldzkool geymz" teenager. Not to mention the people who played them as kids which would hardly offer non-biased opinions, which you probably want.

And yeah I'm not fond of dating sims either, but the PC Engine does sound like a good option. As long as it has a good emulator out there, like >>3481832 mentioned. I myself haven't played much of it.

>it'd be nice to hear stuff about it from people who have played it (and aren't autistic about it)
>and aren't autistic about it

Good luck with that.
>>
Bump to keep thread from dying. I thought it went without saying to make the games for this easily accessible/emulatable.
>>
>>3481856
>opinions
>non-biased

Opinions are the epitome of biased.

>played by your average I luv oldzkool gaemz

Well if the option is discussing with 2 people or 5 who are millenials its better to have the millenials.
>>
>>3482551
>I thought it went without saying
It doesn't because everyone has a different idea of what they want out of something like this.
>>
File: 1437318747176.jpg (332KB, 722x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1437318747176.jpg
332KB, 722x1000px
>>3481832
Well then my vote is for Valkyrie Profile.

Just the right mix of somewhat well-known and relatively seldom-played.
>>
Last time we tried this I played DuckTales and For the Forg The Bell Tolls for the first time.

I ended up clogging the threads because I wanted to pseudo-LP the game. Didn't work, of course and got called out.

So, this idea is kinda bad unless there are zero faggots like me this time. If you still decide to do it, count me in again, this time I won't be a shithead.
>>
>>3483032
Yeah I think this is a really good choice, this one gets my vote (Played a bit but a book club event would tip me over the edge for a full play through)
>>
>>3478386

only way it will work is if it's decided by a poll. one or two people picking games that no one else wanted it what doomed this last time
>>
File: ecco-the-tides-of-time.jpg (109KB, 550x280px) Image search: [Google]
ecco-the-tides-of-time.jpg
109KB, 550x280px
Let's play ecco tides of time.
>>
>>3478386
isn't there a podcast with this exact concept?
>>
>>3482558
>Opinions are the epitome of biased.
Not if you're impartial, which happens when you play something for the first time. That's why unpopular games are optimal for the matter.

>Well if the option is discussing with 2 people or 5 who are millenials its better to have the millenials.
By that logic you may as well rather use /v/ instead of /vr/.
>>
>>3483032
>>3483126

I wouldn't mind this. This is one of those games (series? There are a bunch of games right?) that I've been meaning to try out but never got around to it.
>>
I'm very interested in something like this, I think it would be fun.

IMO, Dragon Quest 7 comes out for 3ds next week. Be it the original or the remake I think that would be a good place to start.
>>
>>3484641
>good place to start
>minimum 30 hour JRPG, if not 50-60

Yeah.. no.
>>
>>3484646
Why? A lot of people here will be playing it for their first time and it could go on for a few weeks. Just a suggestion.
>>
>>3484646

more like 80-100 hours+ without sidequests

I ain't got time for that shit.
>>
>>3484659
Because a 60 hour JRPG is a really shitty game for this kind of thing.

>go on for a few weeks
A great way to kill any interest.

Im not saying it has to be a short game, but a 50 hour JRPG is not the way to start.
>>
>>3478386
>figure it could be a neat idea en encourage people to play video games.

While we do have some minor shitposting problems I wouldn't say this board is in need of encouragement to play video games. In fact this probably won't take off precisely because of that, I'm just making stupid assumptions right now but I'm sure most of the posters here play games on a consistent basis and more than likely won't take up the suggestions from this because they already got their own stuff they're invested in at the moment. That being said I'd love to see it take off anyway in hopes of something I never heard of that catches my interest get brought up.
>>
Hey guys, op here again. I'm sorry about a couple of days ago. I didn't make the strawpost or anything. I found my cat dead when I came home that day.

That's kind of taken my priority at the moment. I don't really feel like doing too much as you can understand. I'm not gonna attention whore about it anymore, but, I'm kind of putting this off. If someone else wants to take the lead and post the first few games or so then go ahead.

Sorry guys, I wasn't expecting this to happen.
>>
>>3481856
>Popular games are logically more susceptible of being played by your average "OMG I luv oldzkool geymz" teenager.

Do those kinds of people even go to this board? Lot of people are pretty hostile towards that kinda attitude here and this board seems like it'd be way too slow for them to get the validation they crave anyway.
>>
>>3478386
Easiest way to do this would be to set parameters.

1. Only games that are easy to obtain or emulate.

2. Only games that arent too long or too short. Ideally games that can be beaten easily in a month assuming normal gaming time and life. No one is going to enjoy slamming out a 70+ hour jrpg in a month. And if everyone finishes the game in an afternoon we'll be doing a new thread every week.

3. Only games in English or where language is not a barrier. Jrpg or vn's in moon rune are out.

4. Vote on games. Start a thread on which game this month let people talk about what games they want to see. Choose 5 or 6 that fit the requirements and vote on those.

Then just run threads the whole way until end of the month where people are playing and discussing.

This is the way I run my community book club.
>>
File: 1437312768381.jpg (100KB, 471x650px) Image search: [Google]
1437312768381.jpg
100KB, 471x650px
>>3484540
There are 3 games in the VP series.

VP1 is the only one that matters and the only one people still talk about.
>>
File: 1423701434702.png (34KB, 223x223px) Image search: [Google]
1423701434702.png
34KB, 223x223px
>>3484682
Sorry about your cat, OP.
>>
What if there were 2 or 3 games listed in this book club thing? That way people had options while still having people to play and discuss with. Make them fairly different games so that people can easily pick one or the other, or both if they feel like keeping their playing diverse.
>>
>>3485072
You guys just don't get it and this is why these things never work.
>>
>>3485072
>>3485863

I agree with this guy. Having 2-3 games would be a terrible idea because I'm guess we'll have 4 MAYBE 5 people doing this so we don't want to break up a group that small. Maybe if we had like 20+ people that would be alright but I'd be surprised if we even get 5.
>>
>>3484701
VP2 isn't that bad, but the DS game is pretty bleh.
>>
The arrangement seems simple to me.

We draw up a set of universal guidelines, on which games are appropriate for the monthly game club, like this anon said:
>>3484689

And then we each contribute a game title to the pool. After a period of time, say a day, we include all the entries in a poll and collectively vote on which to play. Obviously we don't have to wait a month to start talking about it. There's initial impressions, and so on.

It sounds like we might already unanimously agree on a PC-Engine game as our inaugural choice.
>>
>>3486693

This sounds pretty good to me. Once we pick the first game, it should flow easy.

Though anonymous means people can post a billion different games as their choice, but I'm not sure why anyone would do that.
>>
File: cratermaze.png (9KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
cratermaze.png
9KB, 512x448px
I motion to elect Cratermaze. It's a PC-Engine game, it was released in the US and on the Virtual Console.

It's sort of a super Heiankyo Alien, one of few games in the trap 'em up genre, alongside other ridiculous nonsense like Home Alone, and Deception.

Easy to get, easy to play and god is it weird.
>>
Tower of Druaga
The game is intended to be played by a bunch of people sharing clues.
>>
I'm currently in one of these that's once a month. There's a lot of more modern games but also plenty of retro games. Some recent ones we've done are Sonic, Crash, Gun Star Heroes, River City Ransom, and Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Secret of Evermore, Donkey Kong Country, and Star Fox 64. We never really do anything obscure, but I'm cool with that.

I'd name it, but I don't want assholes from /vr/ invading with "MY WIFE AND I" memes and twenty year old console wars. Eveything is mostly chill there and I'd like to keep it that way.

But I would love to do another one with /vr/
>>
>>3486946
the game is intended as an alternative to waterboarding
>>
>>3485072
One game seems better, maybe we just won't participate in every discussion. Sounds kinda shitty but I think it would be for the best.
>>3486946
I imagine it would be more of a "we beat the game THEN discuss it" deal. We would discuss our thoughts on it based on our completion of it.
>>
>>3478386
who is this semen demon?
>>
If nobody else wants to take charge of this then I guess I'll organize it.

So far I've got the nominated games as:
Dragon Valor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0JRvgGFTBc
Valkyrie Profile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGECwz8p1A
Ecco Tides of Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUtz85PZ5lY
Cratermaze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJPAeBSPQc
Tower of Druaga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h2uauCtozE
My nomination, Wolfenstein 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8o0a5ntxfc

The visual novels kind of seemed to get dismissed so I left those off. Let me know if I missed a game or if you guys want those VNs in the strawpoll after all. If this list is fine, vote here:

http://www.strawpoll.me/11200916/r

If you're the one who nominated a game, don't vote for that game like a dick. Vote for one nominated by someone else. That way the poll is a better indicator of what everyone as a group is most interested in playing.

If you want to post other/better videos of the games go ahead. I haven't played any of them so I don't know how representative each one is of the full game, but these videos at least seem like enough to give a general impression of each game.

Three days sounds like a good amount of time to wait to me, that should give anyone who was interested in this thread enough time to check back in and vote.

We all okay with this?
>>
>>3489348

Yep, good work.
>>
Didn't read the thread did you guys decide on the game?

And if I had to give my two cents without reading up on the conversation, I'd say you have a solid base for an idea, but it would have to make it maybe more short term, and allow anyone to jump in at anytime, so maybe you have like a week to play a game. Perhaps 4chan isn't a great place to document it, maybe you guys set up a google doc or something and just add and remove people and archive what you do there.

hell maybe even set up a slack page.
>>
>>3489927
There's 64 replies in this thread. You could at least try to read the last five before making such a post.
>>
>>3489348
Done, thanks.
>>
Bump so this doesn't fall off. Will we use this thread for discussion once we start? Or should we make a new one?
>>
>>3489348

Thanks for the poll, voted. I'm not sure if long RPGs would be a good way to start off a book club. I'm dedicated to playing the winning game, but I know I'm not going to have much time to dedicate to an RPG. Something to consider.
>>
>>3492752
I'm the same way, I probably wont have too much time for it.

If it ends up going to Valkyria Chronicles then that'll most likely just lead to us each playing through the game at our own pace. It might not lead to an ongoing game-of-the-week/month type scenario like was intended, but if we end up with a VC thread of us just playing through the game and talking about it as we go, that's not too bad either.

Even if we end up only doing one game, that could still be fun.

This might all be a moot point anyway, we'll see.
>>
>>3489348
I would suggest the PCE for Druaga. It has four difficulty settings and gives you hints at the start of each level.
And it's probably easier to emulate than the arcade game.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.