[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (40KB, 248x300px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg
40KB, 248x300px
thoughts?
>>
Fantastic, flawed.
>>
File: 1471493594220.jpg (26KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
1471493594220.jpg
26KB, 500x534px
>>
>>3477556
>>>/v/
>>
Shit combat, great story. I know I'm in the minority but I didn't like the soundtrack either, too string heavy.
>>
>>3477629
Best description you'll get for the game.
>>
>>3477556

I think that as this was released in 2001 it isnt retro game.

Also it was good game, although combat was shit and a lot of dungeons were bad. Bloodlines was better.
>>
>>3477889
>soundtrack by a string quartet too string heavy
>>
>>3478779
Arcanum uses the same engine and plays the same as Baldur's Gate which is retro.

The game was considered old fashioned on release because it wasn't 3D.

From most combat focused to most story focused:

Icewind Dale->Baldur's Gate->Arcanum->Planescape Torment

I'm not sure where the Fallout games place above as I've not played them.
>>
>>3478920
>uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate

Except it doesn't.
>>
Almost everything is shit but it's still the best attempt at a real RPG in computer form. Some of the best reactivity ever seen, character customization is incredible, Tarant is fantastic, it's one of the few CRPGs that offer a worthwhile evil run (meaning you don't get gimped for being a sonuvabitch), the setting is interesting... but everything else hurts.

The best phrase to describe it is "brilliant RPG, awful video game". Still worth playing twice or thrice just to see the amount of choices it offers.
>>
>>3478920

Nope Arcanum doesnt use infinity engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Infinity_Engine_games

and even if it did it wouldnt be retro. Retro is pre-2000 that is rule. If a game made in 2000 uses say unreal engine, Deus Ex, it isnt retro.

And Arcanum was almost completely combat focused. It was full of big dungeons full of things to kill. It got ridiculous. The bigger problem was the combat wasnt that good. It wasnt tactical like other games.

It had a good setting and was fun but really quite flawed and definitely not retro.
>>
I think from a distance, the image looks like a T-rex with a giant lady's head, and I'm always so confused when I see it.
>>
The

Baldur's Gate
Fallout
Planescape Torment
Arcanum

series of games are all top down view where you click you characters where to move.

Is it possible in any of these games to win against overwhelming enemy forces through the use of "micro" as seen in Starcraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DcaDjhM9UU

I'm talking about fast clicking and key presses not min maxing the DND systems of stats-items-spells etc.
>>
>>3479295
You know Fallout is turn based, right?
>>
>>3479328
Both or just the first one?
>>
>>3478920
>Arcanum uses the same engine and plays the same as Baldur's Gate which is retro.

Holy shit stop with this. You guys already got proven wrong when you tried to use the OS as an excuse for it being retro don't move onto what engine it uses next. If you're gonna willingly break the rules then just do it and ignore anyone calling you out because you just become more insufferable when you keep trying to justify what you're doing instead.
>>
(((Gnomes))).
>>
Probably the only rpg, hell, setting in general in which they managed to make fucking gnomes look like scary, evil bastards that can intimidate you more than any orc ever could.
>>
>>3477889
The OST is Mormonism.
>>
>>3479295
>>3479328
Technically, all these games are turn-based, it's just that BG/IWD have a real time with pause system that still separates actions into turns and rounds, it just looks continuous, with characters even having fake attack animations just to make it seem like they're not just standing next to each other and waving weapons in slow pace.

Only Arcanum has an actual real time mode. Use it to Harmspam.
>>
How is The Temple of Elemental Evil?
>>
>>3479458
Both. I know, crazy how much Bethesda fucked up the series, right?
>>
>>3482692
bitch, it's crazy.

i don't know. i heard it was buggy. good luck finding it. good luck getting it working. heard it's gud though.
>>
>>3482692
Get Temple+
>>
temple os
>>
>>3482774
the fuck is temple+?
>>
>>3482775
>It's like a motorcycle to Linux' semi!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.