[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: p.png (441KB, 800x372px) Image search: [Google]
p.png
441KB, 800x372px
6-button frontal layout or 4-button with side buttons?
>>
>>3477115
>for arcade - mostly SFII and MK
6-buttons.

>for platformers and RPGs
4-buttons with shoulders.
>>
6 front. Closer to a traditional arcade layout/feel and better for fighters (typically the only games that really made use of 6 unique buttons to begin with). SNES shoulder buttons were fine for platformers etc but weren't that ideal for fighting games.
>>
>>3477119
I agree with this.
>>
Shoulder buttons were a mistake. They led us down the road of crazy complexity. Simpler is better.
>>
>>3477131
It's literally the same amount of fucking buttons
>>
File: saturn-bomberman-pad.jpg (10KB, 249x166px) Image search: [Google]
saturn-bomberman-pad.jpg
10KB, 249x166px
>>3477115
Six face buttons + 2 shoulder buttons master race.
>>
>>3477131
>This guy complains about complexity
>followed-up by this guy >>3477137
>>
>>3477137
>Bomberman pad
Why would you need more than 2 buttons for bomberman?
>>
>>3477145
That guy's just a scrub. There's nothing wrong with having more buttons.
>>
Should buttons are much better, I have only one thumb. I am amazed anyone would prefer 6-buttons. If I had it my way a N64 style z-button at the back would be mandatory also, I'll never understand why that didn't become standard.
>>
>>3477172
Feels better hitting a vertical row of buttons for combos instead of tapping shoulder buttons with your fingers.

Besides, you'll probably never have to do weird combos like A+Z ever.
>>
Even if you feel the 6-button layout is better, the fact remains that the Genesis controller is one of the most uncomfortable things to hold in all of video gaming.
>>
I like shoulder buttons with a 6 button face.

Shoulders are great for strafe buttons.
>>
Depends on the genre. The 4+2 layout is more versatile as proven by its adoption by the PS1/2/3/4, Dreamcast, Xbox/360/Xbone and Wii/U classic controllers.

The 6 button layout is more specialized but the genres it fits are very popular on /vr/ systems

On a related note, it took me forever to realize the genius of the 3 button controller. It's the NES controller with select moved to a useful position

Finally, 6+2 (N64, Saturn) was superior to 4+4 (PS1) until first person games took over the industry
>>
>>3477193
The 3 button one is
>>
>>3477137

Why not 6 face buttons+4 shoulder buttons?
>>
>>3477261
Because resting your index and middle finger on the top feels like utter shit.
>>
File: segasaturn.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
segasaturn.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>3477115
>not both
>>
>>3477193
I'll agree wit the six button pad, but the three button is pmy favorite /vr/ controller.
>>
>>3477264
Agreed. My preferred gamepad 9 times out of 10.
>>
>>3477264
Way better than the Dreamcast pad.
>>
>>3477809
>Way better than the Dreamcast pad.

That's not exactly a big achievement.
>>
>>3477146
I think it's just a tie-in to one of the games and not specifically optimized.
>>3477193
Do you even have human hands?
>>
>>3477172
>If I had it my way a N64 style z-button at the back would be mandatory also, I'll never understand why that didn't become standard.
But the Z was a "shoulder button" for the middle prong.
>>
>>3477172
>I am amazed anyone would prefer 6-buttons.

It's way easier to do the hunter series combos (LP LK MP MK HP HK) on 6-buttons, and you can focus only on attacks with your right hand and movement with the left. Pressing L is much harder with the left hand, since you have to press directions continuously with that hand, while your other hand is only tapping at the buttons.

Also, it is much easier to time HP+HK combinations as well on a 6 button pad (I always screw it up when using shoulder buttons/triggers for them). Even if you use a modern pad with 4 shoulder triggers, it is more difficult to push two of those concurrently than it is to press two face buttons concurrently.

The only downside to 6 button pads is that you cannot press PPP or KKK combinations on them without workarounds (such as: using claw grip, shifting your thumb 45 degrees to press the entire row of buttons, or remapping controls to use XAB and YZC instead of ABC XYZ).
Or you can map the shoulder LR buttons to PPP and KKK on the Saturn, but then you are left with no Taunt button...
>>
>>3477115

What we really lost with the demise of Sega were the d pads, people just dont realize how fucking good those were.

We regressed so fucking much.
>>
>>3479808
The genesis d-pads are shit that make my left hand lock up after just 20 minutes of play time. Literally no other controller does that to me.
>>
>>3479819
I should have specified, and I am being serious here.

https://c0d3h4x0r dot wordpress.com/2011/12/21/65/
>>
>>3477119
Honestly I don't think either of them are as good for fighters as playing on the Arcade. The SNES triggers are really confusing for someone who is used to play on the original controls. The buttons on the MD controller have different sizes and are badly aligned which is very uncomfortable. Sure you can get used to them, but I would prefer to buy a proper Arcade controller or maybe build my own Arcade machine.
>>
>>3477193
I disagree with this resolutely. Both 3 button and 6 button are some of my favorite, most comfortable controllers.
>>
>>3477179
>>3477917
>>3477975
Not one of you touched on the fact >>3477172 only has ONE THUMB
>>
File: b2oz-800.jpg (58KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
b2oz-800.jpg
58KB, 800x600px
>>3477115
When I was a Sega fanboy, I was hard set on 6-button controllers but then the SCPH-1080 came out which featured the perfectly spaced out 4-button layout.
>>
>>3477136

but the player gets expected to hold more / press more combos etc
>>
>>3477115
>for fighting games/arcade games
6_button frontal layout

>for everything else
4_button with side buttons
>>
>>3477115
6 buttons front. Because the shoulder buttons are awkward to press and rarely live that long. Jap saturn controller is the best pad evah
>>
>>3480419
That's the dev's fault, not the controller. It's the SAME AMOUNT OF BUTTONS.
>>
GameCube is king

My old PC controller had the four major buttons like SNES but with two smaller buttons that made it like a six button, I usually used them as the start and select buttons
>>
Why cant we have both?
>>
>>3480861
I agree. It depends on the game.
>>
>>3479823
>c0d3h4x0r
Also my oem 6 button has a metal bb for a pivot on the d pad
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.