[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game is kicking my fucking ass after level 4. Diablo Thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: Diablo_Coverart.png (93KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Diablo_Coverart.png
93KB, 256x255px
This game is kicking my fucking ass after level 4. Diablo Thread?
>>
Kite
>>
What class are you playing? What equipment do you have? Have you defeated the Butcher or King Leoric?
>>
>>3475837
I'm playing the HD version which has Assassin. The stats are similar to archer, but I've invested in strength and magic mostly. Scimitar and shield, secondary is two-handed big axe with some lightning damage which I hardly use. I have no idea where the butcher is, but I did defeat the skeleton king. Took me half-an-hour and a lot of potions but it felt so rewarding finally beating him.
>>
>>3475846
Not this guy but where can I get this HD version?
>>
>>3475846
Maybe you should play the real Diablo first.
Why did you invest into magic, did you find some book you wanted to read?
Butcher isn't always in the game, just often.
>>
>>3475859
What's so different about the original and this? Uh, I got into magic because I thought it'd be more effective having some magic spells to help with groups of people instead of using bows.
>>
>>3475865
What spells did you get? Normally you can learn the initial spells without investing extra points. Most people will collect items with a bonus to magic so that they can wear them to learn spells.
Bows are normally fairly useful. Since they don't use ammunition or mana you can easily probe the darkness to pick off foes one by one. Even for a warrior it's a useful thing to carry around to attack from a protected spot.

>What's so different about the original and this?
A hell lot of things. Hellfire did less and I still wouldn't recommend Hellfire to starters.
>>
In normal Diablo 1 any martial character wants to max Dexterity first. Dunno how it would be for this mod.
>>
>>3475865
Normal Diablo 1 and the mods have massive differences. Both The Hell and HD Mod are dogshit that change the game way too much in bad ways.
>>
>>3476257
Ah ok. Is there any HD mod that is faithful to the original?
>>
>>3476339
HD itself is already not faithful. Being able to see and aim three times further makes a huge change in such a game.
>>
>>3476339
Unfortunately not to my knowledge. If you want to play the original, you just have to suck up the resolution and slow walking in town. It should still run on modern computers fine as long as you use the registry fix for graphics.

The HD Mod did have a lot of good ideas, but the good ideas were outweighted by the bad ones and it feels like the creator doesn't really "get" Diablo 1.
>>
>>3475901
Alright thanks for the advice all I'm startting oer in original.
Oh, they have those? I remember finding fountains or something alike that would also temp. boost magic. Right now arrows give little to no damage so I thought they'd always be useless. and playing the game solo seems to be hard with no designated healer, I constantly end up using health magic.
>>
>>3476353
Nothing wrong with heal. It's more cost and space effective than constantly drinking red potions.
Otherwise try to get hit less often. Positioning and learning enemy AI patterns can help with that.
>>
>>3476353
Items can have bonus to stats, in particular if you wear a bunch of magic items that give +magic, you can read books that are otherwise above your base magic stat and the spells will still be castable even when you take off the stat-boosting items you used to learn them.

You should also remember that vanilla Diablo 1 has some permanent effects. The HD Mod changes everything to temporary, but some of the shrines/fountains can give you stats or give you a bunch of points into a random stat and take some away from others, and elixirs will permanently increase a stat by 1. All the characters also have different maximums of base stats that can't get exceeded with levelups or elixirs and shrines, for example sorcerer can only have maximum 45 base strength.

There's also some things that can damage your hp or mana permanently so you should never do them, because raw hp and mana are things shrines and elixirs can't inrease. Never get into melee range with black deaths (yellow zombies) because every time they land a hit they drain 1 max hp, don't activate Fascinating, Ornate and Sacred shrines because those damage your max mana, also don't activate Goat Shrines or Cauldrons because those activate random shrine effects and it may be a bad one.

Stuff being able to damage your stats permanently might sound bad, but they're all really easy to avoid when you know about them.
>>
>>3476348
For anyone wondering I found this website that is exactly the same to the original but also has the same resolution features as the original and also fixes the colour issue.

>>3476360
>>3476365
Also thanks for the advice
>>
>>3476428
Forgot to link
http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch=60
>>
File: diablo.png (245KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
diablo.png
245KB, 640x480px
Does anyone know why there is no priest or dead guy in the version I'm playing?
>>
>>3476445
The dying guy is tied to the butcher quest, so he's only in about 2/3 of all single player games.
Do you mean Deckard Cain with priest? He should be in the village square. But you're probably talking about some guy only added for the mod.
>>
>>3475901
>Hellfire

people constantly shit on Hellfire but it added very much needed classes that can stand on their own without resorting to magic.

a well equipped bard is stronger than a sorc. the barb is just as strong and can bum rush packs. not to mention the different focus in items for the bard and levels for the barb.

I just wish they didn't nerf Apoc so badly. someday I'll dig through modding resources just to un-nerf it.
>>
>>3476461
Hellfire also fucked with some mechanics that aren't related to classes and shouldn't have been fucked with, and introduced bugs.
>>
Filthy casual.
>>
>>3476465
I'm willing to plow through them if that means having better classes.
>>
>>3476461
>a well equipped bard is stronger than a sorc
Is that a good thing? Bard and monk simply strike me as unbalanced.
>>
>>3476496
I'm a fan of fixing unbalanced with unbalanced. I'd rather have an unbalanced warrior and rogue than a nerfed sorc.

but that's just me.
>>
File: DIABLO_20160905_175329.png (328KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DIABLO_20160905_175329.png
328KB, 640x480px
I just found him and he won't stop following me shit
>>
>>3476832
That takes me back, being wrecked by Butcher when playing the game for the first time is one of the things everyone who played it back in the day remembers.

He's really tough, you generally can't take him on at the point where you've just reached him unless you use sploits to get him stuck somewhere where you can kill him with ranged attacks. You need to come back later when you've got some more levels and gear.
>>
>>3476875
You're right he constantly keeps swinging at me. On a side note, I'm beginning to notice how.. pure or primitive Diablo is compared to to the patch. There are no shrine portals in the original, there's a bunch of small rooms with special weapons, you can't see the items and weapons you're buying, there's no chest to store items you have to use the floor, you can't have two weapon sets. It's not worse, but there's such a big difference playing the two its jarring.
>>
>>3476914
I think one of the biggest differences is you only have one life compared to constantly respawning in the village. You really have to take it slow
>>
>>3476914
Yeah, the hd mod adds a lot of features from Diablo 2 like stash and how the shop screen looks into the game. Diablo 1 was the first game in the entire genre, so it's got some rough edges.
>>
This needs to be said because lots of people used to D2 go into D1 and get pissy:

D1 is basically a roguelite with visuals.

D2 is an ARPG.

They both play very differently, and D2 in general is much more forgiving. D1 is much more oriented towards a survivalist mentality, avoiding damage and conserving supplies. If you do not use tactics during combat and simply go in swinging, you will fail.
>>
Is it wise to invest in two skills or rather focusing on one?
>>
>>3477141
You shouldn't buy too many books unless you're a sorcerer. Get basics like heal or town portal and later things like firewall but your main investments should be elsewhere.
As a sorcerer you want a spell with fire and one with electricity damage but having more diversity doesn't hurt.
With chain lightning you should try not to raise it too high since that can cause gaps in the lightning due to game limitations
>>
>>3477157
So if I was into Strength it should primarily be a Strength build?
>>
>>3477159
Put enough points in strength so you can use the gear you want.
As >>3476137 said dexterity is important to hit.
Vitality is also useful if you don't have mana shield.

There are fixed caps on the attributes depending on the class so you can't really fuck up too badly. Later on you can also find and buy elixirs to raise stats permanently.
>>
File: DIABLO_20160906_041315.png (260KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DIABLO_20160906_041315.png
260KB, 640x480px
Well I finally made it to the 5th level with the normal version. Bats are a pain in the ass with a bow, but so far so good. Wish me luck /vr/!
>>
>>3478115
Did you know that you can hold shift to attack in the direction instead of moving? Just lay down a barrage against bats.

Always use corners and doors to your advantage.
>>
>>3478241
Yes I did. The Bats animation have them stop for a while allowing you to shoot them. Also when you open a door they usually form a line funny if you think about it allowing you to kill them easily again. Loving the game so far, although it's making me a bit stressful with everything involved. The Butcher wasn't that hard, fell flat like a pancake after a couple of shots, I thought he'd take more time to kill. Continuing on 6th floor tomorrow.
>>
>>3478261
2nd note, it's incredible how similar this feels to the Souls series. I feel there's so many similarities between the two.
>>
>>3478268
It really is a very different game compared to D2 and every diablo clone after it. There's a lot more emphasis on atmosphere and slower paced tactics, and especially at the beginning stages resource management.
>>
>>3478616
That's true I find a lot of stress comes from that. Constantly looking at your health and mana, being wary not to fall in a trap and be surrounded by a group of monsters, trying to avoid strong enemies only to find another group spawn behind you. It's fast paced while a bit slow at the same time if that makes sense. I wonder if RTS games are like this.
>>
File: DIABLO_20160906_192852.png (327KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DIABLO_20160906_192852.png
327KB, 640x480px
I think I'm close to the Demon
>>
>>3478771
>to find another group spawn behind you.
Enemies are fixed during level creation. They won't spring into action until you activate them by getting too close or attacking them.
A low light radius helps to avoid drawing too much attention at once.

As in other dungeon crawlers it's useful to have an eye for exit routes and avoid stretching your lines too thin. Better backtrack a bit more than to find yourself surrounded.
A scroll of town portal in the belt as a last resort exit is also a good idea.
>>
>>3479248
Diablo is about to make you his bitch.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the ps1 version? I really want to get my hands on it and do some co-op.
>>
File: DIABLO_20160906_222134.png (271KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DIABLO_20160906_222134.png
271KB, 640x480px
>>3479340
I've played a bit and it's good, just most of the items you pick are from the menu.

Anyways here goes nothing.
>>
File: DIABLO_20160906_231744.png (336KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DIABLO_20160906_231744.png
336KB, 640x480px
Annnnnd boom goes the Dynamite.
>>
>>3475829
this. you really have to fight like a coward whenever possible. and don't be afraid to use consumables.
>>
>>3475824
how come this is the only good roguelike ever made? the sequels are garbage. no other game captures the feel of playing d&d in your garage better than this. hd remake when?
>>
>>3476445
quests are random. you don't always get the butcher.
>>
>>3475846
You're not playing Diablo then, you're playing a mod that has probably had its balance fucked with.
>>
>>3475849
>>3475865
Any Diablo "HD" is fanfic fan mod tier bullshit that's about as good as Half-Life 2 Fake Factory cinematic mod.
>>
File: cheese.png (153KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cheese.png
153KB, 1280x960px
>>3476832
You gotta cheese him bro, make him get stuck on the stairs side while you are on the opposite side. That or use a prison barred wall, lock that door and use your town portal to get on the other side.
>>
File: 12-08-2016 17.42.45.png (122KB, 656x518px) Image search: [Google]
12-08-2016 17.42.45.png
122KB, 656x518px
>tfw made a quick and modest mod but all Diablo 1 forums are dead and you have nowhere to share it
>>
http://harpywar.com/?a=articles&b=1〈=ru&d=1&lang=en
>>
>>3480321
Share it here
>>
This godly armor of the whale I picked up sure is great.
>>
All hail tristram theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pep2QaHORBQ&list=PLDD6Y2H0h_vBzUZ4C171QN9FXP8EgSlzp
>>
>>3479765
It's because everything in the sequels and clones happens too fast and flashy for them to be able to build tension and utilize darkness/limited visibility. Also they're all specifially designed to be basically "stack all skillpoints and bonuses for one skill, press button, recieve loot" so they become more math and flowcharts than adventure/rpg games.
>>
File: diab10uq8.jpg (38KB, 346x269px) Image search: [Google]
diab10uq8.jpg
38KB, 346x269px
>>3479765
Diablo 1 was a miracle of a videogame. First game of the company, it was going be turn based, infested with DLC and even battle.net was a late addition.

I love everything about it. Even the graphics are 10/10 (they also did an impressive and unfinished gameboy port), the lighting is perfect, with only 6 songs has one of the best soundtracks ever, every single monster has a memorable design.
Diablo II was cool too but i would have preffered just a lot bigger Diablo 1 with the same graphics and mechanics. Some early betas looked a little like that.
It could have been worse though, at least DII ended being 2D.
>>
I haven't played Diablo in forever. I miss it.
>>
As someone who wasn't old enough to remember the late 90's I'll admit I'm a youngin' was Diablo a really popular game? or kinda like the game you'd see nerds in HS talk about.
>>
>>3481034
I wouldn't say the graphics are 10/10, the lighting is blocky, Rogue's sprites don't even have correct lighting to go with the rest of the game, user interface is extremely rough (for some reason they thought red color coding on equipment was a good idea). Some of the monster death animations are superb though.
>>
>>3482448
nerds. i'm playing psx
>>
File: diab09mu4.jpg (35KB, 359x295px) Image search: [Google]
diab09mu4.jpg
35KB, 359x295px
>>3482448
In late 90's i played it with 50 yo mothers and 13 yo girls in battle.net. That's how popular it was.

>>3482460
That's not what 10/10 graphics means for me. It's the whole graphic and artistic style, i can't think of an isometric 2D game that looks better than Diablo.
>>
Is there a mod that just improves compatibility on modern systems and maybe increases the resolution, but nothing else? I know increased resolution can break how certain spells work, but surely there's a way to cap them to keep things reasonable.
>>
Why the hell isn't Blizzard selling Diablo 1, do they not want my money?
>>
>>3480761
Goosebumps, goosebumps everywhere.
>>
>>3482958
it's a David Brevik game. Fuck that loser.
>>
>>3482971
They sell Diablo 2, what makes that different?
>>
>>3482906
you can get close to that by using
- DDrawFix (upscales to more modern windowed/fullscreen resolutions)
- ipxWrapper (allows lan multiplayer)
>>
>>3482902

Not shilling indie games and it's not /vr/, but Brigador looks pretty fucking amazing.
>>
>>3483712

links for both

ddraw fix:
http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch

ipxWrapper:
http://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/
>>
>>3482958
Probably because they don't want to invest the time in troubleshooting & updating it for current systems. Furthermore, Diablo II LOD is vastly superior in every way and they gladly keep it up to date for that reason.

You're better off hoping GOG gets ahold of it somehow.
>>
>>3485109
>Diablo II LOD is vastly superior in every way
As >>3477072 or>>3478616
said. It may have evolved from Diablo 1 but the two games are rather different.
>>
>>3480761

This is one of my favorite game songs of all time. I didn't play D1 until 2010, and it still felt like it gave me a sense of nostalgia. Even besides my delusions, it's great music.
>>
>>3485109
Diablo II sucks.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.