[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite video game franchise? What do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: PKMRED.jpg (153KB, 898x890px) Image search: [Google]
PKMRED.jpg
153KB, 898x890px
What is your favorite video game franchise? What do you think about where it is today?

Overall I'm extremely happy with Pokemon. The high point of the franchise games being Black and White, the low point being Diamond and Pearl which were just a boring chore to playthrough.
>>
Definitely guitar hero
>>
Final Fantasy has been dead for a long time.
>>
File: YAYAYAYAYA.png (499KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
YAYAYAYAYA.png
499KB, 640x480px
YA YA YA YA YA
>>
>>3475028
The new DKC games may have their flaws, but the gameplay is solid. They're probably among the best that we have nowadays, considering how 2D platforming is (unfortunately) at its lowest point.
>>
With Kojima fired, Metal Gear Survive is proof of it's demise.
>>
>>3475028
Honestly it's probably Demon's/Dark Souls.

There's been 5 games, with 3 of them being amazing (demons, dark and bloodborne) 1 being shit (DS2) and 1 being just ok (dark souls 3)

Most games usually lose their lustre over time. I love me some Mega Man, and Mega Man X but it's honestly like a 50-50 on good vs. bad.

I honestly can't think of a single franchise that has only had good games. They always have at least 1 blunder along the way.
>>
>>3475080
I am Lorde.
>>
Made some missteps in recent years, getting back in the right direction now but still hasn't approached its peak back in 98
>>
File: Swltwins.png (5KB, 193x224px) Image search: [Google]
Swltwins.png
5KB, 193x224px
>>3475028
Sonic Wings. I could use another entry or 3.
>>
>>3475760
that art style is shit
>>
>>3475806
Not that guy, but I kind of dig it.
>>
Shin Megami Tensei consistently puts out unique, fun games with excellent writing and an awesome story in plenty of different genres. Anyone else hyped for P5 here?
>>
>>3475028
You need to go baclk
>>
File: 28164963_p0.jpg (120KB, 800x862px) Image search: [Google]
28164963_p0.jpg
120KB, 800x862px
well let's see

Nothing needs to be said about Sonic, everyone's well-informed about him. I'm hoping he makes a good recovery soon with Sonic mania being a step in the right direction.

Metal slug's quality declined at 4 and never truly recovered. It went into the pachinko scene and is currently a mobile game. SNK said they'll be making a new one soon but I don't have any real expectations of it being good.

Shining force has lost it's way, losing all the charm of the games had up to the saturn

Panzer dragoon..... Is good. It's good all around. No bad ends here. I love it.

Puyo puyo is also doing pretty well. Still making actual games with a cute art style I approve of.

The house of the dead is also a great series with no real bad entries. Worst it got is with 3 but it got better with 4!

>>3475820
I am! Can't wait to get back into that time-management awesomeness.
>>
>>3475028
King of the Monsters was always fantastic to play with neat designs

It's dead
>>
I can't think of a single franchise i'm fully satisfied with. Many the souls series? even considering 2.

I guess I'll say F-zero although I've never played AX and didn't much care for maximum velocity. Climax and GP legend were solid though and the main three games are excellent.
>>
>>3475719
I hate to break it to you but Demon's is hot garbage. It was the kind of thing we tolerated back in the day when there was nothing better, but have you tried playing it since Dark 1 came out?

As bad as DS2 is, it does have a few good sections and a few good bosses, while Demon's really has nothing going for it compared with the rest of the series.

I don't know what the fuck they were smoking when they decided to implement world and character tendencies like they did.
>>
>>3475028
Banjo-Kazooie, meme-level dead and buried. Good night, sweet prince.
>>
My fave series is probably super smash bros. I can play and enjoy any of the games (though I don't like brawl much beyond mods). My only problem is with the fanbase. Feels like I can't enjoy them anymore because the groups that play each game are as follows:

>64: still safe from BS surprisingly
>Melee: tourny autists and no one else
>Brawl: no one
>4: less tourny peeps and the current casual body

I like melee the best but I hate that no one will ever play it for fun ever again. Brawl isn't fun, modded brawl is really fun but is also dead, 4 is okay but I want better, and I dislike so much of the game (the stage choices, the omega forms being poorly thought up, no one but me likes smash run, I could go on).

I think I like 64 the most because it's sort of protected from the casual vs. serious division which forever split the community. Though I think the real reason is that I like the games, but not enough to commit myself the way the pros do. For me the casual game is king in smash, which sucks because I like to try to win, just not too hard or taken too seriously (there's other games for me to tryhard in). The silliness of items and junk keeps it fun, but people rarely want to play with silliness and if they do then they tend to suck at the game. For once I want to fight a 4 player coin match where people actually know how to use the 75m springs to their advantage and do so. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people who really enjoys every part of smash bros.
>>
>>3475845
>sorry your favorite game is bad
>have you played it after Dark Souls?

Yeah, I play through Demon's Souls once a month lol.

Saying Demon's has nothing going for it while praising Dark Souls 2 basically means I can invalidate your opinion forever, please get a tripcode so I can filter you.
>>
>>3475904

64 is good because:
>no one ever tried to get super good at it
>no tournament scene
>most people nostalgia bomb for it

64 is the one you play at parties. The second you pull out melee that one faggot starts being a tryhard and everyone has a bad time.

I genuninely try and avoid fighting games at big gaming events because it brings out the worst in people. Stick to fun stuff like Mario Party that has enough luck involved that no one really gets upset if they lose.
>>
Ghosts 'n Goblins. The main four games are consistently great and the Red Arremer games are fun too. The series is kind of dead now, but eh, it had a great run.
>>
>>3475904
>>3475920

Whenever I play SSB 1 I find I pretty much rely almost exclusively on throws.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: 1450375i.jpg (87KB, 620x439px) Image search: [Google]
1450375i.jpg
87KB, 620x439px
I absolutely adore Darius above all. SNES sloppiness aside, it hasn't had any bad games at all and is one of the very few /m/ franchises from the 80s that's survived into the 21st century without any major blunders or crashes.
(My condolences goes out to Gradius & Metroid fans...)

I also really love Guilty Gear, but unfortunately burned out on it pretty hard before Xrd dropped, so I can't really comment on its quality. Aside from RC slowdown, I don't see any immediate issues with it though, so I count it as a successful continuation from hiatus.

And lastly, Mega Man had waaaaaay too many games before Capcom gave up trying to please its insatiable fanbase. It did have a few low points in recent years, but on the whole it's had a darned good run for how bloody fast they pumped those games out and definitely needs a well-deserved rest.
>>
Crash Bandicoot.

Been perfectly playable all the way, but underwhelming in the entire PS2 lineup.

Took a hiatus on a bad note.

Eagerly waiting to see what will happen in November. I expect bandicoot genocide, because it's Activision's default for non-COD games, and because his fans are retards who praise Crash Twinsanity.
>>
>>3475028
>High point Gen V, low point Gen IV
How can you be so wrong?

>>3475082
I honestly think Tropical Freeze is a new high point for the series. Even so, this is a good choice.

>>3475820
I'm hyped for Apocalypse, which is a Shin Megami Tensei game. Persona 5, while very exciting and stylish and cool, is not a SMT game.

>>3475904
Honestly, the stages in 4 aren't that bad, and a lot of serious players are getting a bit more lenient on tournament-viable stages, like Duck Hunt. While the Omega forms aren't great, there's at least the variety in the lower half of the stage design (Gamer/Duck Hunt's walls, FD and Battlefield's slopes, Galaxy's curves). It's not completely forgivable, though, and I understand your point. However, I still think Smash 4 has a pretty great balance and the most mechanically interesting fighters in the series. I love me some Smash 64 and Project M, though.

For me, I'd say Metroid, especially if we're staying /vr/. Even with Other M, the majority of the franchise is fucking great. Also, I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy Kirby, seeing as it doesn't change much but is always great. Wario Land is amazing but that franchise is ded.

My all-time favorite game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and the original PM is close behind, so you can imagine how I feel about that franchise. Pure sadness.
>>
File: 1468368380169.jpg (1008KB, 2438x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1468368380169.jpg
1008KB, 2438x3508px
The Megami Tensei franchise as a whole.

I think that the sixth gen is a notable high point because they released some very good and varied games in a consistent basis. While the low point would the seventh gen due to all the milking of Persona 4, and lack of new games outside of SMT IV and SMT IV:A (which are still pretty good though).

Soul Hackers is my favorite /vr/-related game of the bunch, and it is also one of my all time favorite games out there.
>>
>>3476825
I've been wondering if I should go for Soul Hackers, since I love me some SMT but never played it.

I would also cite Strange Journey as a standout.
>>
>>3475845
nice bait
>>
File: Kirby.png (49KB, 218x194px) Image search: [Google]
Kirby.png
49KB, 218x194px
There has not been a single bad game in this franchise. At worst a few 6/10s, but not a single horrible game. Probably one of the best consistent long-running franchises out there.
>>
>>3476907
>6/10
>not bad

every kirby game is junk besides maybe adventure and that's just because of all the powerups for an nes game and the concept of a braindead easy platformer being a novelty for the time.

Kirby fags are the worst it's the biggest gamer redflag It shows they have no respect or standards for level design, gameplay, challenge etc etc. Kirby is all flash and no substance and the flash is gay comfy safespace shit you shouldn't like in the first place.

God I hate Kirby and Kirby fags so fucking much. No one calls them out on their bullshit.
>>
>>3476928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZrgeGt9sGw
>>
>>3476953
>sonicspeedsmygame

who would have guessed sonicfurryfags are also kirby fans.
>>
File: haaiii.png (14KB, 218x194px) Image search: [Google]
haaiii.png
14KB, 218x194px
>>3476928
Woah there, gayboy, that's a little TOO much assdamage!
>>
>>3476984
>gay
>posts kirby

Kirby is as homosexual as Yoshi and both caused a Vore epidemic in autistic children.
>>
>>3476989
You know you're online too much when you start posting shit like this.
>>
>>3476992
The truth?
>>
>>3476992
>>3476996
fuckin rekt!
>>
>>3476856
Oh yeah, I forgot that SJ technically is 7th gen.

And well, SH is part of the Devil Summoner franchise, which is an expansion of the classic SMT in pretty much every way. The games take place in an alternate universe where the SMT Tokyo didn't get nuked, so there is not a full blown apocalypse, but the protags still have to deal with demon's shenanigans, which is what I love about them.
There are slightly more interactions, more demons and the gameplay is much more faster and fluid. Not to mention that the demon negotiations in SH are pretty much the best ones in the series.

You're good with either the 3DS or Saturn version, although the 3DS one is very cheap digitally and it has more content.
>>
>>3476992
Exactly. How autistic does a guy have to be to start complaining about Kirby fans on the internet? It's way above the threshold of autism. It's probably a new condition that we have to make a new name for.
>>
>>3477038
I suggest dumbledore syndrome.
>>
>>3475920
there is a tourney scene for 64 actually, it's just really small because Melee and 4 is where the action is. Plus there's this guy Isaiah who broke the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXVgkENOuN8

That's him new, his Pikachu back in the day basically shut down entire games.

But yeah, it's so untouched by the shit that has infected the series that I can still fully enjoy it. Melee, PM, 4 is fine but not as fun just because there's always that one guy who has to ruin it for everybody.

And I agree, Mario Party is the superior multiplayer series. I can make a night out of 1, 2, or 3 easily.
>>
>>3475028
Super Mario is my favorite franchise. I'd say I'm quite happy with the later games, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario 3D World are amazing titles.
Nintendo is able to put unique things in each new Mario game.
>>
>>3476928
By definition a 6/10 would be above average. So yes, not bad.
>>
>>3477158
If the average game is shit being slightly above average doesn't mean something is good moron. Quality isn't merely relative to what is available but what is possible.
>>
File: 1470693810285.jpg (76KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1470693810285.jpg
76KB, 400x400px
>>3475028
>The high point of the franchise games being Black and White
>>
>>3476907
Ehhhh I'd say 7/10s. What Kirby games have been 6/10s?

Also, the guy who dumbledore'd about Kirby has obviously never played any of the series' hard modes, nor has he ever completed a puzzle in a Kirby game.
>>
>>3477321
This is profound autism.
>>
>>3475028
>low point being when they finally added online functionality
When D/P/Pt were current they were fantastic, and the first time Pokemon had decent value beyond single-player. Not to mention 4th gen Pokemon were interchangeable between 7 different games if you had all the Wii stuff. 8 if you count the PokeWalker as its own game.
>>
>>3477321
The only one I'd rate 6/10 is probably Kirby Tilt n' tumble, because I'm not a fan of gyro games.
>>
>>3477160
And if a few entries reach 6/10 at lowest for a 25 year running series (with a steady stream of releases), then I'd call that a good run.
But sure, pick apart the definition of arbitrary number I threw out instead of countering the statement made about the Kirby series.
>>
>>3477537
The series is garbage 6/10 is the peak and 6/10 isn't good.

It's probably nintendo's most consistently shit franchise, and now that most everything they put out is shit no one can tell the difference.
>>
>>3475028
Man, you have got to be my hero for mentioning BW. Great music, story, and way better characters than in previous games. It would be the best in the series, but absolutely nothing beats GSC. GSC was the pioneer, the revolutionary, the visonary...
>>
>>3476907
How can one consider that shitty series good is beyond me.
>>
>>3477575
usually people always admit they play it because they want to turn their brain off I rarely see people actually defend the junk.
>>
>>3477569
Just because you have a garbage story doesn't mean it's better than games with minimal story, anon.

Black and White's story and characters were terrible.
>>
File: 1463391797898.png (120KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463391797898.png
120KB, 640x480px
road rash
>>
>>3477709
It's a better story for than any of the others because at least it tried to have a story.

I think the moving pixels were great, the region and music were fantastic and I think the best part is them "forcing" you to use all new Pokemon for 90% of the game. Also Heidreigon was GOAT until fairy came around.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.