[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Miyamoto hate Goldeneye?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 20

Why did Miyamoto hate Goldeneye?
>>
Did he?
>>
>>3474571
Then why the giant Pikachu in that screenshot?
>>
Myamoto was always jealous of Rare, they were just better at making fun games than him. He knew this and didnt hide his contempt that well.
>>
>>3474594
this.
>>
do we really need to encourage this kind of tabloid-esque meta-shitposting about people none of us actually know

fuck off, visible sage
>>
Oh look, more fabricated retro videogame drama.

If it wasn't for Rare the N64 would have been an even bigger disaster for Nintendo. Without Goldeneye and Perfect Dark it would have very little to offer in exclusive FPS games so Nintendo owe Rare a lot.
>>
But he didn't?

I thought he wanted to make OoT first person cause he liked Goldeneye so much
>>
>>3474587
ur a faget
>>
>>3474594
Not true. He gave advice to Rare as they developed DKC and Banjo and has never publicly expressed any negative feelings towards them.
>>
Guys, where's the dicussion here? Anyway the reason why Miyamoto hated Goldeneye 007 N64 because he thought it was too violent when Rare showed their presentation to him and his crew. The only idea he suggested was to have the game be as a movie of sorts, he wanted the player to visit all the enemies you killed at the end of the credits at a hospital, to show they were okay. That gave Rare the idea of having the characters names displayed in the beginning of the game, to show it's all a movie. In the end Miyamoto didn't really hate Goldeneye he just thought it could be more kid friendly.
>>
File: casus-belli.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
casus-belli.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>3474575
>>3474631

Yes he did. Also, he told me you guys look like dorks
>>
>>3474571
Because nips are assholes.
>>
>>3474642
Miyamoto is the reason Nintendo is dying.
>> Year of kid friendly
>> Don't wan't metroid because not created by him and not kid friendly
>> Old as fuck.

Sure he did good Mario. But the "New" Super Mario Bros have now turned to shit.
>>
>>3474642
>Goldeneye he just thought it could be more kid friendly

This is why Nintendo is dying. When kids are your target group and they'd rather play more mature games you have a problem.

You need to balance kids and your hardcore fans.
>>
>>3474786
>Miyamoto is the reason Nintendo is dying.

To be fair homie, all of Nintendo, judging by their decisions, is run by dinosaurs (maybe even literally).

Normally I'd chalk it up to typical japan business sense but Sony has been kicking for years thanks to Kaz Hirai. Nintendo just refuse to change, the higher ups will have to literally die and be replaced by a newer generation in order to do that.
>>
File: 10400786-400-226.gif (3MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
10400786-400-226.gif
3MB, 400x226px
>>3474642
>he wanted the player to visit all the enemies you killed at the end of the credits at a hospital, to show they were okay.
>>
>5FPS
>console fps garbage
>crap gameplay
The real question is why doesn't EVERYONE hate Goldeneye.

Holy shit, the gaming industry died because of the love of style-over-substance shit that saturated the fucking N64 and PS1.
>>
>>3474623
but all of rare's games were bad
>>
File: 1469554000834.jpg (127KB, 502x440px) Image search: [Google]
1469554000834.jpg
127KB, 502x440px
>>3474834

>5fps

That's Jet Force Gemini m8, Goldeneye managed at least 10.
>>
>>3474872
kek, if that's Goldeneye's minimum then Perfect Dark is definitely 5fps.
>>
>>3474798
>Metro reports that Sony is worth $17.7 billion, thanks mostly to their failing movie, music and laptop division. Sony does have the PS4 to thank for a lot of their success lately as it's been trailblazing through the market like a Skyline running on jet fuel. Nintendo, alternatively, is worth $18.4 billion, thanks to their timeless games and uniquely designed hardware.

Not even Nintendo fan but you are all retarded
>>
>>3474881
Unless you work for sony or nintendo, that shit doesn't matter. The quality of the product is what matters to a consumer, and Nintendo hasn't really had a good console since the gamecube. Sony had three really good consoles in a row. Current gen has no games anyway.
>>
>>3474801
>>Nintendo just refuse to change, the higher ups will have to literally die and be replaced by a newer generation in order to do that.

It is sad but true. The problem is that Japanese never retire, they die on the job. We will have to deal current Nintendo executive for at least 15 years.

The fact they still don't account for international business is beyond me. A game should be made only by taking Japanese market in mind.
>>
>>3474881
>thanks mostly to their failing movie, music and laptop division

Imagine how much Sony would be up if they didn't flounder to keep TVs,phones, movies alive. I'm a Nintendo fanboy but they are really aren't so hot right now. I bought a WiiU and own about 9 games for it. They need the NX to be a hit.
>>
>>3474891
You forget how good the wii sold, and the DS and 3DS have stellar lineups and sold brilliantly
>>
>>3474881
3ds is most popular system of that generation.

Sony is in decline all over and might go brankrupt.

Anyway, people dont have hobbies anymore. Theyre washed up.
>>
miyamoto HATES gajin games in general or even cooperate with other companies

look at Marvel ultimate alliance for wii, he went apeshit when he discovered that link and samus were also in the PS2 files

NoA and most of the japanese branch is retarded
>>
>>3474997
What is minecraft on Wii U?
>>
>>3474834
>Holy shit, the gaming industry died because of the love of style-over-substance shit that saturated the fucking N64 and PS1.
>implying the whole "style-over-substance" shit didn't start much earlier than that; like late early 3rd gen all the way through the 4th gen

Not every 4th gen game was a beat em' up and a shump you know.

Anyways, source on OP claim please?
>>
>>3475035
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/26/goldeneye-james-bond-n64-nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto-gamecity
>>
>>3474629
Not FPS, but you left out Killer Instinct. SF and MK fell way short on their 64 releases
>>
>>3475035
>Anyways, source on OP claim please?

Other anons have already asked that but going by some of the replies here, looks like bullshit.
>>
>>3475035
Did I say late early 3rd gen? Fuck I meant late 3rd gen. Early/mid 3rd gen was pretty neato. My claim still stands on his selective nostalgic ass otherwise.
>>
File: clofish.jpg (301KB, 1276x1236px) Image search: [Google]
clofish.jpg
301KB, 1276x1236px
>>3474848
>>
>>3475059
rarefags on damage control
>>
>>3474881
>>3475059
>>3474571

>Skyline running on jet fuel
Gas engines don't run on kerosene senpai
>PS4 confirmed dead!
>Rareorism on the rise in basement east!
>Old Jap hates Freedom!
>>
File: 1423800259823.png (34KB, 133x146px) Image search: [Google]
1423800259823.png
34KB, 133x146px
Did you know Miyamoto is the reason Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft? He's also responsible for Banjo-Threeie never happening. Also the Virtual Boy was his idea, as were the yakuza that killed Yokoi. You know the one thing about that one game you really like that takes it just one step down from being totally perfect? Miyamoto.

All of that is 100% true because I just told you.
>>
>>3474834
People loved Goldeneye because it was an awesome game with many impressive features that were rare or unheard of in FPSes at the time.

There weren't even that many fully-3D FPSes at that time, period, PC or otherwise, and certainly not ones with all the cool TECHNOLOGY bits Goldeneye had. It was a great game in a different style. Still love playing it.
>>
>>3475135
I remember how fun it was playing it but after years of seeing people hyping it up as one of the all time greats for almost 20 years, the backlash was inevitable

I recognize its good points but the bad ones keep it from being timeless, like Doom for example, making it strictly a product of its time
>>
He just hated -along with Nintendo- games that used "violence" to attract players. Just look what they did to Doom64 on the JP version. And i think he was half right. FPS that only relay on marketing are bad for the industry, like the ones made since gen 7.
>>
>>3475143
>making it strictly a product of its time
sounds like you just don't like it anymore, don't try to use your own preferences to speak for the history of vidya

lots of people feel the same way about Doom and think only nostalgic faggots would play such an old and busted game

just appreciate games and say something if you have something to say instead of trying to slot everything into the "correct" ranking or whatever
>>
File: dinoplanetride.jpg (23KB, 495x312px) Image search: [Google]
dinoplanetride.jpg
23KB, 495x312px
>>3475125
Also his fault Dinosaur Planet got delayed, shrunk in scope, and made into Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube (still a good game, though).

He thought the MC and Fox looked similar, so it might as well be a Star Fox game.
>>
File: lithtech 2016-09-02 10-51-03-122.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lithtech 2016-09-02 10-51-03-122.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
>>3474834
If you want a good spy game, check out No One Lives Forever. It's a year past the /vr/ cutoff though and honestly looks fantastic for a 16 year old game
>>
>>3474571
Cause it's hella gay.
>>
>>3475305
NOLF reminded me a little bit of Goldeneye in the "sneak into the base" missions, especially the ones where stealth is optional and alarms just make the mission harder but still beatable. But yeah, solid game.
>>
>>3474571
Because compared to Duke3D, Quake, Doom, Doom2, RedneckRampage, ShadowWarrior, Quake2 and Blood, it was a crapgame
>>
>>3475430
>Duke3D, Quake, Doom, Doom2, RedneckRampage, ShadowWarrior, Quake2 and Blood

I'm now trying to imagine Miyamoto playing all of these very family friendly games from beginning to end so he can form an opinion.
>>
>>3475430
Nah, it's a good game, just a different style. Pretty silly to put those together like that.
>>
>>3474995
The Wii sold well to the super-casual crowd that were wowed by Wii Sports and other gimmicky games. The thing it did well was getting people who didn't give a fuck about games to buy a games console. And it shows; Nintendo thought that the userbase of the Wii would buy the Wii U, even though most of those people don't understand what it is, don't know it exists, or don't give a fuck. They were too ignorant to realize that the main audience they had for the Wii is grandmas and soccer moms.

DS had the same problem, most people who bought it got it for Brain Trainer and shit like that, or they were little girls. 3DS did decently though.

Nintendo, in a sense, was thinking in the short-term with their last-gen consoles. They made and marketed them in such a way that they would appeal to a very large crowd of people that didn't care that much about games, making them very successful for that generation but screwing them over completely in the current one because that crowd doesn't care about games now, and their original fanbase doesn't care too much about them either now.
>>
>>3475609
This whole "casuals bought Wii and DS for a couple of games" theory doesn't hold up when you actually consider total software sales on those platforms.
>>
>>3475430
>Duke3D, Quake, Doom, Doom2, RedneckRampage, ShadowWarrior, Quake2 and Blood
But those were all dumbed down FPS games compared to GoldenEye.
>>
>>3476187
You obviously haven't played Duke3D then. It has some of the most dynamic levels I've ever seen in a 90s FPS.
>>
>>3474997
Source? This is the first I've heard about Miyamoto getting pissed off about Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
>>
>>3476220
Goldeneye has more complex mechanics. Duke is just another Doom clone.
>>
>>3476230
I don't have a source but it is true.

During development of Marvel Ultimate Allience, the developers wanted to put in exclusive Nintendo characters for the GameCube version. Link and Samus specifically. But as I recall, when they presented it to Nintendo, they used the PS2 version. And the executives from Nintendo were not happy about it.

Here is a video showing some gameplay
https://youtu.be/opkOtApoqqI
>>
>>3474798
It's Mortal Kombat all over again

>kids love it because it's edgy gore
>censored SNES version to protect the kiddies
>everyone just flocks to the Genesis version

They never learn. Kids want to be more like teenagers. Teenagers want to be more like adults. Adults like adult things. Literally no one wants to be in the kid demographic.
>>
>>3477018
I don't know man I see a lot of adults liking kid things in places like this
>>
because he is a jelly chink with a small yellow dick
>>
>>3477018
And adults can enjoy kid things if they want to. I mean, I've been following this cute show aimed at little kids where the subject of the episode learns a few lessons every now and then and everyone celebrates happy times. It's called Princess Pring
>>
>>3477035
Keyword, places like THIS. Man babbies like James suffering from severe nostalgia is not the same. The majority of adults do not go out of their way to buy a Wii just to play Mario games.
>>
>>3476332
>Goldeneye has more complex mechanics.
Such as...?
>>
>>3475042
There wasn't an SF for N64.
>>
>>3477316
exploding chairs and uh...
>>
>>3477621
I didn't know chairs could explode. This game was truly ahead of its time like its many enthusiasts profess.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (469KB, 3301x1598px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
469KB, 3301x1598px
>>3475763
Casuals and kids (pre-teen mostly, but not exclusively). Kids did buy more games, and even some casuals bought the big-name titles. And the Wii U did a terrible job marketing to kids. The 3DS was marketed very well towards them and that console did good because of it.

Look at this screenshot. Wii Sports has over twice the sales of the 2nd highest selling game, and the top 5 titles were all marketed towards casual gamers primarily. And if you go check the original page (List of best-selling Wii video games), past Wii Fit Plus, sales drop hard.
>>
>>3477316
How about headshots vs body shots vs limb shots with different reactions based on each.
Leaning around corners.
Guards raising the alarm if you don't kill them on time.
Gadgets and objectives.
Avoiding cameras or you're fucked.
Better enemy alert for sounds and visuals, including silencer guns.
Gaurds are actually 3D, you actually walk among them in 3D space.... like in Quake, but Quake enemies get stuck in places 10x as much.
>>
>Why Miyamoto hated Rare

because they were a better dev than him, and also blew the fuck out Yoshi's Island with DKC2
>>
>>3474571
>Why did Miyamoto hate Goldeneye?

(Citation needed)
>>
>>3477753
How can you lean around corners?
>>
>>3477753
>Better enemy alert for sounds and visuals

What did he mean by this? No, seriously, I can't decipher it.
>>
>>3477791
Hold aim (L or R) and press c-left to lean left and c-right to lean out. You'll peek out the side, as you would in real life instead of automatically moving your entire body the same as your head.
>>
>>3477817
I mean to alert enemies you are around, when they hear you or see something you did.
>>
>>3477817
He means that enemies react to sight and sounds of different volumes. Rudimentary stealth elements, in other words.
>>
>>3474820
That would be funny as shit, they totally should have done it
>>
>>3477703
That number isn't accurate though with your implication. 80 million people didn't buy wiisports, a large number of those people bought a wii that came with wiisports. Another large number bought it in a package with other games. It's the equivalent of saying(hypothetically) 500 million Micro USB cables were sold last quarter, but realistically only 100 million were sold stand alone and 400 million were packaged with devices that were sold.
>>
miyamoto is killing nintendo. he hated rare because they made non-kiddie games. he hates everything that isn't accessible to toddlers
>>
>>3478030
>Wii Sports
>Mario Kart Wii
>Wii Sports Resort
>New Super Mario Bros. Wii
>Wii Play
>Wii Fit
>Wii fit Plus

>main demographic not casuals and kids

c'mon man...
>>
>>3478091
Not what I said dummy
>>
>>3478102
sorry then.

but that list frankly schocked me.
>>
>>3478109
Wii didn't have many notable games. And a lot of then we're remakes or reboots.
>>
>>3478116
>Wii didn't have many notable games

Because people like you think that games that didn't have a AAA marketing budget don't count.
>>
>>3478131
See
>>3478102
But anyways, what are the best games on the system. Hard mode, no third party, no ports, no reboots.
>>
>>3478135
I dislike how you are using remake and reboots interchangeably.

You could refuse any sequel on the premise that it is a "reboot".
>>
>>3478146
No, I didn't. I said reboot, I didnt say remake, I would have been fine with remakes being listed.

Sequels are sequels, reboots are not sequels.

Still didn't name a single game though.
>>
>>3477783
my dad works for nintendo
>>
>>3478135
>>3478146

seriously, what are good games on the system? My gf has a Wii, I never bothered with the console, she wanted to get some games, she isnt a filthy casual.
So any recommendations that arent totally obvious?

She got Okami so far.
>>
>>3474848
If you like platformers, Banjo Kazooie is golden, and Tooie isn't half bad.

Diddy Kong Racing is also better than Mario Kart 64.
>>
>>3474629

I don't exactly remember the PS1 having all that many FPS games.
>>
>>3475125

Yeah and he also killed jesus.
>>
>>3474786
He needs to be removed.
>>
>>3474997
You've got it slightly wrong. They pitched the inclusion of Link and Samus in the Wii version to Nintendo, but they made the bumbling mistake of demonstrating the characters with the PS2 build of the game.
>>
File: 0517 - UGOJ14y.jpg (93KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0517 - UGOJ14y.jpg
93KB, 500x500px
>playing 4 playing goldeneye
>all agree not to play oddjob
>i wait for everyone else to choose then pick oddjob myself and start the game

who else /devilish/ here
>>
>>3478467
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>3478467
>not picking Jaws to prove your real worth
mediocre
>>
>>3478131
Wii and DS were kings of shovelware. Cannot count how many StyleSavvy and Imagine Babies games were made for those systems.
>>
>>3474571
Because it wasn't made by Nintendo.
>>
>>3474629
5th gen consoles in general had little to offer when it came to exclusive FPSs. Wasn't until Gen 6, and especially Gen 7 that console exclusive FPSs became more prominent.
>>
>>3475763
This. Also, the Wii has a very underrated library.
>>
>>3477703
Wii Sports was a pack-in game, anon...
>>
>>3478152
Not him but off the top of my head, not including the obvious exclusives:

No More Heroes series
Mad World
Endless Ocean series
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles
Dead Space Extraction
House of the Dead Overkill
Tales of Monkey Island
Da Blob
Boom Blox
Sin and Punishment SS
Punch-Out!!
Silent Hill Shattered Memories

The Wii has plenty of good stuff when you look past the surface level first party titles.
>>
>>3478883
>5th gen consoles in general had little to offer when it came to exclusive FPSs. Wasn't until Gen 6, and especially Gen 7 that console exclusive FPSs became more prominent.

Couldn't possibly be more wrong. 5th gen had four "must play" console exclusive FPS: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor Underground.

6th gen had Timesplitters 2 and nothing else.

7th gen had Halo 3 if you are feeling PARTICULARLY generous. I'd say it had nothing.
>>
>>3478924
Oh come on man. I get that you're not a Halo fan but it's ridiculous to completely leave it out of sixth gen discussion and you know it. It was massively influential.
>>
>>3478929
>I get that you're not a Halo fan but it's ridiculous to completely leave it out of sixth gen discussion

Neither Halo 1 nor 2 were console exclusive though. Not even in that generation. Well, Halo 2 is borderline.
>>
>>3478930
The PC port of Halo CE came out almost two full years after the Xbox release. You're being kind of a dick and you know it.
>>
>>3478924
>medal of honor
>good
>>
>>3478924
I actually kinda liked the Resistance games on 7th gen.
>>
>>3478939
>The PC port of Halo CE came out almost two full years after the Xbox release.

Don't want to have to say this but, this is kind of the definition of moving goal posts. 2003 is very much straight in the middle of 6th generation.

I'm happy to give 6th gen Halo 2, even though the single player is atrocious.
>>
>>3479027
My point is that it was developed as a console FPS. The PC port came far too late for it to make much of an impact on that platform.
>>
>>3478974
This. I didn't realize anyone actually liked those shitty PS1 FPS games.
>>
>>3479097
The only decent one was Alien Resurrection, the rest was all crap, like those Medal of Honor games. Underground I think I returned the same day, wasnt even worth a rent.
>>
File: Halo04gross.jpg (591KB, 1279x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Halo04gross.jpg
591KB, 1279x1024px
>>3479094
>My point is that it was developed as a console FPS

Anon...I have bad news...

>The PC port came far too late for it to make much of an impact on that platform.

Wasn't even 2 years later.
>>
>>3479141
Note that I said FPS. The original concept for Halo was RTS. And yes, the PC port(emphasis on the word port) came out only a month shy of two years later. Halo is primarily known as a console series.
>>
>>3479145
You can say what you like, but moving the goal posts this hard makes you look as big of a dill as people who claim FFVII or SotN were PS1 exclusives.
>>
>>3479152
The distinction still needs to be made that the ports for SotN and FFVII came
less than a year after the original release. MS clearly intended Halo CE to be the Xbox's flagship showpiece. The PC port was a too late afterthought.
>>
>>3479159
>the arbitrary distance in time i decide is what matters
>>
>>3479160
Almost two full years is a long time in a console gen, m8. Especially considering the Xbox's truncated lifespan.
>>
>>3478043
>he hated rare because they made non-kiddie games
He actually liked some of the times he and Rare contacted eachother, and he even saw B-K as a potential competitor to OoT around the time of the latter game's release.
>>
>>3474594
>better games
>most are just inferior obvious retreads of nintendo concepts
>>
>>3479196
They did different things though.

Diddy Kong Racing is the only kart racing game ever made that has a decent single player mode.
>>
>>3479196
>defending Memeio 64

Fuck off faggot. Banjo Kazooie was 100x the game that Mario was, Myamoto probably cried himself to sleep after seeing it
>>
>>3479220
>>defending Memeio 64
fuck off faggot/ they're both great games, but mario 64 is 10X better.
>>
>>3479097
>PS1 FPS games
>shitty
Granted, P'Oed (or whatever it was called) really was, but almost everything else the console offered was pretty decent; especially the likes of the Aliens games, Powerslave, it's Doom and Dook 3D ports, and MoH.
>>
>>3479247
The only reason I nominated MoH as a "must play" game is because it offered a kind of FPS experience you couldn't get on PC at the time.

Pretty much every other FPS on PS1 was either garbage, better on PC or better on Saturn.
>>
>>3479159
>Two years later.
> May as well not exist.

So why aren't there PC ports of Goldeneye, OoT and every other game out there two years later genius?
>>
>>3479636
If it's not obvious, Nintendo doesn't like PC gaming.
>>
>>3478246
Check the v's recommended wiki.
>>
>>3479636
Halo's popularity is primarily on consoles, not PC. To disregard its impact on a generation just because a PC port exists is retarded. >>3478924 is a dumbass.
>>
>>3479636
The PC version of Halo and Halo 2 might as well not exist desu. They never gained much of a fanbase on PC which seems to be why MS never bothered with porting any of the other ones.
>>
he even hates splatoon

fuck miyamoto

i think its time for him go make company to Iwata
>>
Maybe Miyamoto needs a good historical sex abuse scandal to finish him off.
>>
Maybe it's time for Miyamoto to just fucking kill himself
>>
>>3479212
It was fun but the bosses were so frustrating.
>>
>>3479748
The claim was exclusive on console, it was far, far, far, far from being exclusive on console. Period. It was exclusive for consoles for a limited period and came on PC after its impact, it's divorced from reality to call a person "being a dick about it" to point out that it's not a PC exclusive. He's just telling you it was not a PC exclusive, which is important.

>>3479654
The reason Nintendo doesn't release all its games on PC is so they're Nintendo console exclusive and people need Nintendo consoles to play them, that's the entire point of exclusive, that you need the console. The sort of person that would think it was because "Nintendo doesn't like PC" is either really young or something else really not right there.
>>
>>3479947
I mean: "to point out that it's not an xbox exclusive"*
>>
>>3474571
Goldeneye is probably one of the most overrated games in existence. The only reason people thought it was so unbelievably amazing and groundbreaking was because it was on console, and at the time was one of the only decent console FPS games that wasn't a Doom port. If it were released on PC, it would've been average at best.
>inb4 "m-muh stealth!" Cybermage, Tekwar, and Daggerfall (if you'd call Daggerfall an FPS) did it earlier.
>>
>>3479947
I never made that claim. My whole point is that Halo was just as influential as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark as a console FPS. That doesn't change just because a PC port eventually came along. After Microsoft acquired Bungie, Halo became a console FPS first and foremost.
>>
>>3479982
It was muh stealth, muh mission objectives, muh targeted aiming, muh manual reloading and muh in-engine storytelling all in the format of a pure FPS.

Citing a bunch of RPGs just makes you look like a bitter mustard who just doesn't get it. I bet you will be bitter and obtuse enough to force the argument that Daggerfall was an FPS lel
>>
File: qihdofjznybn6nqbbkcn.jpg (68KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
qihdofjznybn6nqbbkcn.jpg
68KB, 620x470px
>>3475161

He hated being cucked by rare, it was a permanent blight on his legacy. They cucked Yoshi's Island with Donkey Kong Country and cucked Mario64 with Banjo Kazooie. Faggoty Miyamoto became the laughing stock of the world. The whole Dinosaur Planet and (((Micro$oft)) fiasco was a revenge plot by Miyamoto, laughing as the (((Micro$oft))) executives invaded Twycross and raped their little tight arses, at least the ones of the debs not fast enough to see the wind direction and jump ship. Truly it was a tragedy what happened and I'm not denying that, but Miyamoto was bound to snap sooner or later, it's amazing that they got away with what they did.
>>
>>3479220
fanboi so buttblasted obviously because he knows his slow, clunky, unintuitive mess of a collect-a-thon is clearly inferior to one of the first 3d games ever despite trying as hard as it could to coattail off it's success
>b-but muh childhood
>>
>>3479212
>diddy kong racing
>mario kart 64 with sloppily-added elements from other games literally nobody ever wanted in a racing game
dkr is so one of those things people think they like because they played it as a kid but can't seem to recall fucking anything good about it that hasn't been done better both before and after it
>>
>>3480508
Super Mario 64 is 2 years older than Descent which is fully 3D.
>>
>>3474571
Don't all Japanese people hate FPS games because it gives them motion-sickness?
>>
>>3480652
They love first person dungeon crawlers so I doubt it.
>>
>>3480652
They hate them because they're bad at them. Motion sickness is just the excuse they used for a while.
>>
>>3480659
Those move a lot slower than FPS, though...
>>
>>3480672
Only if you're bad. They move much faster because all that matters is how fast you can input things rather than game speed.
>>
>>3480682
Show me a first-person dungeon crawler that moves faster than competitive Quake 3 matches.
>>
>>3480365
>cybermage
>tekwar
>rpgs

At least google the names before you make claims like that. Also Strife did mission objectives before Goldeneye, and Quake did manual aiming before Goldeneye. The only thing Goldeneye even *might* have done first is in-engine cutscenes, which, if it were released on PC, would not have been enough to save it from being average to maybe slightly above average at best.
>>
>>3478889
I do know that. I didn't really convey what I meant properly; >>3475763 said that the theory that the Wii was bought by casuals that only bought a few games doesn't hold up when you look at software sales. What I was trying to show with >>3477703 was that Wii Sports, the pack-in game, has over twice the sales of the second highest sold game, to show that more than half of Wii owners never bothered to get another game for it, because they didn't care.
>>
>>3481072
You are basically thinking about this like somebody with autism. Virtually no video game in the 90s did any particular mechanic *first*. Trying to discredit important milestone games like Goldeneye because some mediocre older games had a few shared elements misses the point entirely.

What matters is a combination of mechanics that codifies a particular subgenre. Alone in the Dark codified the "survival horror" subgenre of horror games, even though all of its mechanics individually could be found in other horror games. But it had a particularly significant combination of mechanics (including 3D gameplay) that really was found to work and was influential.

Goldeneye took certain gameplay mechanics some of which were already in FPS/RPG hybrids and streamlined them for a pure FPS experience with a tactical twist that was almost as accessible as Doom. That's a good reason Goldeneye sold 8 million copies, and older games like Strife didn't (note: that doesn't mean Strife was a bad game, just less accessible).

Suddenly, after Goldeneye was released, every pure FPS had to have the same "tactical" twist that Goldeneye had; the same slower pace than Doom or Quake, but with some stealth elements, in-engine storytelling, deliberate aiming (e.g. sniping) and objective based gameplay. You can already see in the influence in SiN and Half-Life, which are also pure FPS games.

And Cybermage is definitely an FPS/RPG hybrid. So is Strife, that much is undeniable. Trying to claim otherwise to win some kind of rhetorical point is intellectually dishonest. Tekwar I guess isn't really, but it's just a purely shit game that completely failed to pull off any good ideas it had.

Not sure what you're trying to say about Quake having manual aiming, cause uh even older FPS had that. What I meant was body part sensitive aiming.
>>
>>3481156
>Alone in the Dark codified the "survival horror" subgenre

More accurately it inspired Resident Evil which is where the term survival horror was then coined.
>>
>>3481123
I see what you mean. I still think the Wii has an underrated library though. See my earlier post: >>3478906
>>
>>3481173
Underrated and overrated are completely bullshit, meaningless terms.
>>
>>3481178
By underrated I mean the Wii library has a lot of hidden gems that were largely ignored in favor of the big first party games. Endless Ocean especially.
>>
>>3479212
dkr was mario kart with a shitty frame rate, muddy graphics, and all the vehicles seemed to top out at 35 mph. terrible game, no idea why it has a fanbase. rare is a pretty good company on the whole tho
>>
>>3480508
3d games had been around for years before mario 64, ya dingaling
>>
>>3481194
Like what?
>>
>>3481198
I, Robot by Atari and Alpha Waves are two good examples.
>>
>>3481209
Neat. Never heard of either of them. Alpha Waves looks like a modern day indie "art" game.
>>
>>3481190
i bet your ass was kicked by the silver coin challenges
>>
>>3478906
None of those look good imo
>>
Goldeneye deniers just can't handle the fact that for a while a console and even a Nintendo console, with an English company known for making games highly kiddy, was able to kicked all PC fps games including Quake to the curb. I love Quake as much as the next guy, but it's not quite as good as goldeneye. Quake gets boring, and on hard and nightmare mode they're just throwing hoards of enemies with no real rhyme or reason while Goldeneye is great up to the hardest level.
>>
Goldeneye is not good. It was good as a kid but it aged like poop. I castile play all other 90s fps's today but I can't play Goldeneye
>>
>>3481178
underrated post
>>
>>3481725
overrated reply
>>
>>3475151
Not that guy, but while I don't enjoy Goldeneye anymore, I do still like the Timesplitters games, which were made by the same people and use a similar formula.
>>
>>3479994
Halo was extremely influential as a console FPS, but to say the PC port wasn't influential or popular is simply incorrect. It would be more accurate to say that it had a lot more impact as a console game than a PC game because consoles didn't have an FPS that played quite like it, at least at that quality level. The PC had a lot more quality FPS games in its massive library, but the launch of Halo on PC was still very significant as it had online multiplayer, which Halo CE didn't. Lots of people seem to remember the Xbox version having it, but Live hadn't existed yet and Halo CE was never patched to support it. Halo on PC had a great community and a lot of fun game modes, like when people ran servers that made bullet impact many times stronger so you could send warthogs flipping through the air to kill people with. In fact the PC versions of Halo and Halo 2 were so popular that Microshit stopped releasing them on PC because lots of people only bought an Xbox for Halo, and being able to get it on PC took out a sizable enough chunk of their console market share.

Not the anon you were arguing with to be clear, just someone who misses taking breaks from 1.6 to play some Halo.
>>
>>3481792
>Halo and Halo 2 were so popular that Microshit stopped releasing them on PC because lots of people only bought an Xbox for Halo, and being able to get it on PC took out a sizable enough chunk of their console market share.

Gonna have to call bullshit on this part. I have a feeling it had more to do with the PC community not playing well with Bungie's control over the servers. Sales were pretty good but not amazing(both were criticized for performance issues)on PC. Granted Steam wasn't really a thing at that time compared to now but I doubt MS would have put them on Steam anyway.
>>
>>3482224
This is doubly true considering that Halo 2 didn't come out on PC until 2007 when people were getting hyped up for Halo 3. Your claim that they were wildly popular on PC is really doubtful. I don't doubt that there was a small but dedicated following though.
>>
>>3482224
>>3482263
What control over the servers? I didn't play Halo 2 PC until a few years after windows 7 was out (Fuck Vista) so I'm not as familiar with its prime, but Halo CE was filled with custom servers and had a large userbase. For the years that I played it, I never had a problem finding a low ping, populated server at any time.

It was well known and really common sense that Halo 2 was used as a way to entice people to buy Vista, since it arbitrarily required it. It worked decently well, but like I said Microsoft didn't like it when they clued in that people that owned a PC capable of playing it were more likely to buy it for PC than buy an Xbox to play it. This was more significant for the hypothetical PC version of Halo 3, because as you said, Halo 2 didn't come out until 07. It was heavily speculated that this was the reason we never got Halo 3 for PC, though never confirmed to my knowledge, so I was wrong to write it as a fact. With that being said, the way it all happened its highly likely that's why it went the way it did, with another possible reason being piracy.
>>
>>3482224
>Sales were pretty good but not amazing(both were criticized for performance issues)on PC

Halo 1 sold well on PC (over a million) and the performance issues weren't that bad either. Don't confuse it with the atrocity that was the Vista port of Halo 2.
>>
>>3482743
Fair enough. Even if Halo 3 had come out for PC it would have probably been years later just like the other two PC ports which is well after sales would have had any impact on Xbox sales.
>>
>>3474786
>Nintendo has been around for over 100 years
>last gen made the most successful video game console of all time, which did gangbusters in sales
>fuck that, the wii did like 10x what gangbusters is supposed to be
>3ds has sold a very large number
>Pokemon go
>Nintendo is dying

Are you literally retarded?
Nintendo could make a wii u 3 more times and still be fine
>>
>>3483048
To /v/ Nintendo is "dying" because they're not making fan favorite games like Metroid and instead focusing on stuff that actually generated revenue. Metroid has never once been a best seller for Nintendo despite its legacy.
>>
>>3478810
That doesn't negate the good games on the console though, that's just a retarded way of thinking. The gba and ps1, he'll even the nes had far, far more garbage games than good.
>>
>>3483068
So much this. People always accuse the Wii of having a ton of shovelware but every library for every popular console ever has been polluted with shitty movie and TV licensed games. It's just that the people hating on the Wii aren't old enough to remember that.
>>
>>3474820
I wanted to post a reaction image to the statement you green texted but you summed it up perfectly in your post already
>>
>>3478260
>Banjo Kazooie is golden
Oh boy sure love fetch a million things the game
>>
File: 258340.jpg (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
258340.jpg
56KB, 640x480px
>>3474648
THEY LOOK LIKE DORKS!
>>
>>3484316
That took fucking forever.
>>
>>3484302
Jiggies and Notes were the only major collectables, though.
>>
File: 80sguy.jpg (11KB, 290x216px) Image search: [Google]
80sguy.jpg
11KB, 290x216px
>>3484320
I wasn't either of those anons, but I felt like I needed to do something about the situation.
>>
>>3484302
>I only think what the internet tells me to think.
>>
>>3484302
You're thinking of Donkey Kong 64.
>>
File: 1444452801110.png (75KB, 277x300px) Image search: [Google]
1444452801110.png
75KB, 277x300px
Miyamoto also hates Donkey Kong, and Star Fox, and Metroid. Not only that, Miyamoto also once said in a shareholders meeting that F-Zero has no audience anymore so they should just give up on it. It was also his idea to disband Rare and sell them to Microsoft.

All of that is true. Because I just told you. You can trust me.

>>3476354
>I don't have a source but it is true.
Keep fightin' the good fight, truth-seeker.
>>
File: giphy-2.gif (997KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-2.gif
997KB, 500x281px
>>3474571
His mother was killed in a chair explosion
>>
>>3484856
> His mother died in a chair explosion.

I laughed more than I should have.
>>
>>3474571
because he is blind and he got his eyeballs replaced with only two silver eyes
>>
>>3484925
Please explain this reference.
>>
>>3478810
Style Savy isn't shovelware. Actually it's a fucking good game.
>>
>>3484743
He's right about F-Zero. It was never a very popular series to begin with. How many copies do you honestly think a new one would sell?
>>
>>3474786
Yep. Miyamoto is ruining Paper Mario more and more the older he gets.
>>
>>3485249
You're not very good at distinguishing truth from fiction are you? I mean, he literally just told you in the same post that he made it up.
>>
>>3485573
It's based in truth though. He's expressed disinterest in the series in actual interviews.
>>
File: 1405425863946.gif (11KB, 201x236px) Image search: [Google]
1405425863946.gif
11KB, 201x236px
>>3485665
Nothing I said is based in truth, you ridiculous twat. I'm making fun of you and the rest of /vr/'s, as well as /v/'s blatant character assassination of Miyamoto. It's fucking unreal, one day he's the only man in the vidya industry with any heart, and the next day he's a cancerous tumor on Nintendo's bankroll, all because of two Paper Mario games that aren't even being developed by Nintendo's in-house teams.
>>
>>3474571
He suck at it, especially in multiplayer as all my fucking shitty friends with pleb taste.
>>
File: 1457576688284.jpg (28KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
1457576688284.jpg
28KB, 630x354px
>>3474594
>highly unlikey and obv bait my friend...

I do imagine they made him and his company nervous at times. but I think in the 90's miyamoto and nintendo ( after poke'crack) had so much money they couldnt possibly given a damn about SHIT
Im sure he felt a certain way about SEGA and Im positive the CEO of SONY wouldnt mind seein him dead after the Sound chip / CD - rom fiasco. Rareware was just a really really good game developer proudly licensed to daddy Nintendo. I mean they had HIM to thank not the other way around. theres no reason he'd hate them...
>>
File: IMG_1509.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1509.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3484925
blind?
>he is a graphics artist and game developer who does not wear glasses.
eyeballs.
only 2
> how many do you have?

literally. What?
>>
>>3486502
I love Miyamoto but seriously though, he's said before that he's not interested in a new F-Zero game.
>>
>>3474571
Because it was a violent game.

And Miyamoto had influence in Goldeneye. He's the reason you see the characters and soldiers like they were the cast in a movie at the end of the game.
>>
>>3486502

You die the hero or you live long enough to become the villain.
>>
File: 1414805117623.jpg (34KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1414805117623.jpg
34KB, 338x305px
>>3477053
>I, along with my fellow ADULT gamers, play MATURE games and MATURE games only.
>>
>tfw we'll never get to play the XBLA remake
>>
>>3481168
Sweet Home inspired RE and pre dates Alone in the Dark.
>>
>>3474571
i love that dude but he's too autistic about violence in games
>>
>>3491875
Eh... RE shared some basic elements with Sweet Home but I'd say AitD was more of an inspiration overall.
>>
>>3478292
>>3478883

And thank God for that
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.