[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played this game, is it any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (246KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 1920x1080px
Never played this game, is it any good?
>>
>>3468370
The GB/C Zelda's are the only Zelda's worth playing
>>
Go ahead, op.
>>
>>3468370

Yes, it's a legitimate contender for the title of "best game ever made".
>>
One of the game's influences was Twin Peaks.

Play it.
>>
>>3468370
It suspiciously resembles Ys I & II in more than one way, but it's a wonderful game. Definitely one of the best Zelda games.
>>
>>3468370
I liked it.
>>
>>3468445
>Yes, it's a legitimate contender for the title of "best game ever made".

It's not even the best Zelda on GB / GBC.
>>
>>3468370
I don't know OP. You tell us.
>>
>>3468370
You had one job
>just marathoned this
>was it good
>>
>>3468370
Yes. It has the best glitches too.
>>
>>3468482
>Oracles
>good
>>
>is the best handheld zelda game any good?
yup
>>
Comfiest game ever. The last few dungeons are confusing though.
>>
>>3468370
Yes but only for it's retro feel...
>>
>>3468608
I've got better arguments
>Oracle series
>Not good
>>
>>3468651
More like best zelda game on any support.
>>
>>3468370
Of course it is. It's a Zelda game pre-3D and it's been worshiped for years. Why are you even asking this question? Just play it. And play the other GB Zeldas while you are at it.
>>
File: ignorant_babby_award.gif (59KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
ignorant_babby_award.gif
59KB, 1000x1192px
>>3468757
>youtube babbies
>having valid opinions
>>
>>3468445
No it isn't. A game with a definitive ending should never be in contention for that.
>>
File: hoot yes indeed.jpg (4KB, 620x295px) Image search: [Google]
hoot yes indeed.jpg
4KB, 620x295px
>>3468447
>The owls are not what they seem
>>
>>3468371
Nah.

>>3468784
Hello Penguinposter.
>>
>>3468482
I would say Seasons comes in the general vicinity of this game in terms of tightness and puzzle solving, but Ages is just bad.

Both are clearly inferior.
>>
As a 30 year old gamer gaming virtually my whole life, this game is 100% in my top 10
>>
File: giphy.gif (31KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
31KB, 500x448px
>>3468867
>That gum you like is going to come back in style
>>
>>3469235
When i was a kid I preferred ages, but I think that was because it was my game and seasons was my brothers.
>>
The only really good Zelda games: 1, 2, LTTP, LA, [BEGIN: NOT RETRO]WW[END: NOT RETRO]
>>
Not trolling here, but man I have never played a game that was critically acclaimed by most people that wasn't simply a genre I hate and didn't find something to enjoy about it if not love it myself, OTHER than Zelda games

What's the major appeal for fans? I feel glad that there is action in it, but I find it underwhelming....I'm glad there is a fantasy theme, but I find that to actually a bit too bland/generic to feel immersed in, and lastly I'm glad there is an exploration aspect and a bit of mystery but at times I feel the games are too cryptic in that, forcing the need to use a guide at times which is just a killer

So, pretty much everything I imagine people love about it I don't think it does particularly well, and I'm not trying to fight here but I really feel I'm missing something
>>
>>3468370
This game take a total new dimension if you consider that Miyamoto wrote the story as a metaphor about video games's addiction or maybe an auto critic about what he is working for.

IMO it takes sense because link is inspired by peter pan and everybody knows that the story of that book isn't innocent.
>>
>>3469281
>the games are too cryptic in that, forcing the need to use a guide at times which is just a killer
That was the appeal IMO, just to explore the worlds and stumble on a sidequest while doing so. Also the dungeon are generally very well designed imo
>>
File: 1472784656266.jpg (10KB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1472784656266.jpg
10KB, 255x191px
>>3469281
It's not for you, let it go
>>
>>3468370
All Zelda games are dogshit.
>>
I finally got round to playing this and completing it for the first time 3 weeks ago.
Very impressed, had a really great time.
But I will say there are 3 things which frustrated me:
Having link say "wow this sure looks heavy" everytime you accidently touch a rock. That was very annoying.
The map is pretty complicated, even for a zelda game. Finding your way around can be tricky.
Signpost maze doesnt stay done once you've done it.
One or two puzzles can be slightly too cryptic for there own good.
Lastly, the whole raft section seems kinda pointless. There's a sign post on one of the routes which says "there is a secret nearby", but i couldnt find it. Unless it meant that small island accessible from Dungeon no.6/7 (i forget).

These are all minor issues (other than the first one, that really was annoying). Easily in my top 5 GB games. i was amazed i found alll the secret seashells, but the upgraded sword seems pretty trivial compared to the boomerang.

Thinking about trying Minish Cap soon, hope its good.
>>
>>3469372
It is, though I feel it's too short. and getting the Mirror Shield is about pointless.
Getting all the sword techniques is worth it. Not for the last move, but just the variety.
>>
>>3469385
yes, i've read its pretty short. that doesnt bother me too much though, as long as what is there is good. is oracle of seasons worth a shot?
>>
>>3469324
>>Miyamoto wrote the story as a metaphor about video games's addiction
>>implying one of the most famous producers in the videogame industry would ever shoot in his own foot when he got rich by producing several videogames for Nintendo in the first place
>>not having any source on that claim either

And no, saying it's based on Peter Pan is not a source, just a baseless theory.
>>
The original is better than the color version, because it doesn't have the overpowered color dungeon item, and it doesn't force you to be a THIEF for 100% completion (yes, I know there are 2 mutually exclusive photos, 100% means 100% of what's possible).

>>3469372
>"wow this sure looks heavy"
Blame the English language and the translation being accurate. It fits in a single text box in Japanese.
>>
>>3469246
I wouldn't put it in my top 10, but it's probably the single best game ever made under such tight technical restrictions. tiny screen, no processing power, high screen latency, zero memory, etc.

I mean, the gameboy wasn't even really capable of producing capable platformers or action games. so the fact they made this on it is pretty fucking cool. pokemon is maybe the other standout for early portables in the srots of fun you can have with friends.

>>3469281
well, one, it was one of the first games of its kind, and the very first with such hard tech restraints. it was one of the first games I played as a kid, so while we're not being objective, it really didn't have competition during its time

also, it's just designed well.
>>
It's okay, but the bug where you can't get all the chests in a room is kind of annoying.
>>
I like the fact that Game Boy games took the risk to just do things weirdly, especially earlier on in the life of the console and with Nintendo's and other top publisher's IP (wtf were they smoking during the Donkey Kong Land "port")...

It could've used some more polish like people have already mentioned but it has so much fucking charm that it makes up for it.

The series in general suffers from too much creative stagnation so when games like this one, LoZ:2 LA and:

>NOT RETRO
WW
>NOT RETRO

Break the mold, it's very interesting.

Probably my favorite or second fave Zelda game.

Or maybe it was all about the satisfying bumpy shield mechanics, I don't know.
>>
>>3469692
>WW
WW just proved to me that sometimes really sticking to the basics is just the best way to go, no matter how ""stagnant"" that may be. The art style was neat, though very obviously a product of its time.
>>
File: 5d6.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
5d6.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>3468851
>>
>>3469372
>Having link say "wow this sure looks heavy" everytime you accidently touch a rock. That was very annoying.

The messages are the worst part of the game. The extended message about the Compass having a new feature is the thing I hate the most.

>The map is pretty complicated, even for a zelda game. Finding your way around can be tricky.

Nah, it's not. It's pretty straightforward once you get used to it.

>Signpost maze doesnt stay done once you've done it.

You only need to visit Mamu once. I guess arriving if you don't have 300 rupees is a problem, though.
>>
>>3469528

>single best game ever made under such tight technical restrictions

Exactly. Action RPG with platforming sections, huge map, puzzles, secrets, collect 'em up subquests, beautiful music, cut scenes, and a heartbreaking storyline all on a 4Mbit cart and 2" black and white screen. Shits on 16-bit RPGs being made at the same time.

If you think about it, Ocarina of Time, made 5 years later on immensely more powerful hardware, doesn't really offer any gameplay elements that LOZ:LA doesn't have, apart from first-person target shooting.
>>
File: 1464597360285.jpg (87KB, 227x337px) Image search: [Google]
1464597360285.jpg
87KB, 227x337px
>>3470117
>Action RPG
>not action-adventure
Learn 2 genre m8.
>>
>>3470327

Don't be that guy
>>
>>3468451
>Link for gameboy copied Ys.

Maybe that's because Ys copied the original legend of zelda. Zelda came out over a year before even the first japanese release of Ys.

Try again hipster.
>>
>>3470373
Not him, but every game is not a role-playing-game just because you take on a role. It has been called that for decades before retarded Souls fans didn't even know the genre of the game they were playing.
>>
>>3468371
Maybe not the ONLY ones worth playing. OoT and Majora's Mask are pretty good too. But '93-2000 was the high water mark of the series for sure.
>>
>>3468608
>>3469235
Neither of you gave any rational reason to overrate Link's Awakening this much. This game barely has a story, just a few characters that seldomly have any relevance to the "plot". The setting in the Oracle games are undeniably huger and the dungeons actually have well thought puzzles, contrary to LA which basically limits itself to the "find the key / put a bomb" formula. Even the ending isn't interesting at all since the game always makes it explicit that you're in a dream so you're already expecting to wake up.

Oh, and the final boss? Shadows.
>>
>>3468370

Probably a top five GB/C game.

So yeah, it's decent.
>>
Best Zelda
GB version is best because Fisherman world and more screen warping fun
>>
>>3470447
>This game barely has a story, just a few characters that seldomly have any relevance to the "plot"
Yeah, that's why it's good
>>
>>3470447
I bet you liked the 30 minute, unskippable, nonsensical, poorly written cutscenes in twilight princess, didn't you?

I like stories in games, but nintendo is really poor at it, overall. they were a lot better at it before htey decided to let technilogical capacity compensate for the faults in their writing. the high water mark is probably either majora's mask or wind waker (despite being otherwise awful.)

good writing is a relatable premise and interesting setup. period. doesn't matter how extensive it is.
>>
>>3468370
You lucky bastard, it's fantastic.
>>
Arguably the best Zelda game.
>>
>>3470509
>I like stories in games, but nintendo is really poor at it, overall.
Probably because they're smart enough to figure out that "good storytelling" and "video games" don't really conflate well with one another.

>they were a lot better at it before htey decided to let technilogical capacity compensate for the faults in their writing.
>technilogical capacity
Nah, they let the gameplay do all the talking.
>>
>>3470747
u wot

nintendo LOADS on the cutscenes these days, but doesn't even give them a budget. so instead of watching a 30 minute cgi cutscene with voice acting, you have 30 minutes of awkwardly animated models with stock facial expressions and unskippable text bubbles

anything post wind waker is nearly unplayable for that reason alone. at least windwaker cutscenes were short, and the cartoonish style was funny
>>
>>3470773
>you have 30 minutes of awkwardly animated models with stock facial expressions
That honestly describes a lot of video game cutscenes these days; even those with "CGI" and ""voice acting"". I honestly blame the fifth gen for bringing this into fruition.
>>
>>3470509
>technilogical capacity
Which they don't even have. Their only decent console hardware-wise was the Gamecube. Their software is pretty meh and rarely ground-breaking as well.
>>
>>3470784
yeah but you can't really deny nintendo does it worse.

they need to make the story sections shorter, charming, FUNNY, etc. they're trying to compete with other lackluster efforts in terms of WHAT they're doing and the style of it, but they aren't even willing to put a budget behind it. it comes out awful 100% of the time.
>>
File: 1397528495152.gif (525KB, 384x240px) Image search: [Google]
1397528495152.gif
525KB, 384x240px
So, why do you like this so damn much, /vr/? I completed it two months ago and it was as frustrating as I remembered it.

Yeah, parts of it were awesome, the dungeons are mostly great, specially the tower. But I've always not standed it for being the first completely linear Zelda, having SO MANY interruptions one way or another, (either from story, the owl, picking up items, switching your inventory), and having that godawful obstacle course overworld.

I'd grant this game the inventory switching awkwardness is because hardware limitations, but the rest is just design ideas I can't get behind. Is it because you know this game so well you've found a very entertaining way of speedrunning it or something?

It's because of the ending and ideas behind the nature of the island, is it.
>>
>>3470785
>Their software is pretty meh and rarely ground-breaking as well.

Which other game company did you think presented more "ground-breaking" software then? Because what you said is pretty much only true from late GC onwards.
>>
>>3468445
Dude no. Just because you cried at the end doesn't make it so
>>
Yeah man it's a classic.
>>
>>3470802
>either from story, the owl, picking up items, switching your inventory
Switching items and the text boxes are annoying, but the action and dungeons outweigh them.

Just kick back and let yourself enjoy the story and dialog. I don't see how that's an issue. Not everything has to be a storyless experience like Zelda 1.
>>
>>3471113
>Not everything has to be a storyless experience like Zelda 1.
But Zelda 1 did have a story anon. Just because it wasn't told through flashy looking cutscenes doesn't mean it completely lacked one.
>>
>>3471117
Okay. So you've read the manual and now you're familiar with the story.

That's it.

There's no surprises, nothing develops. There are benefits to playing along with a story instead of shoehorning one into the manual.

Also
>Link's Awakening
>flashy looking cutscenes
>>
>>3471128
>Okay. So you've read the manual and now you're familiar with the story.
There's also one in the intro:)

>There's no surprises, nothing develops.
It does develop through your continuous playing of the game, and the surprises are what you manage to find looking around in the game world. Not everything has to be Final Fantasy in terms of plot progression you know.
>>
>>3469449
It's just my opinion about that game, cause when he wake up the game end, i think that idea make the story even greater.

And maybe you didn't know that fact but Miyamoto has admitted that link was inspired by peter pan.
In link's awakening, link share a lot more in common with Peter pan if you know what i mean.
>>
>>3469528
>I mean, the gameboy wasn't even really capable of producing capable platformers or action games.

https://youtu.be/REtJqEMcdBQ
https://youtu.be/EI4QuYRtAbs
https://youtu.be/B3oWNm563H4
>>
>>3472263
Thank you.

Most people only really focus on the GB games that came out in its first 3 years it seems, and don't know the amazing shit that happened later on.

That said, I really wish that there were more games like DK '94 and Space Invaders, where Super Gameboy turned up a great GB game into a monster titan of a game.
>>
>>3472263
>https://youtu.be/REtJqEMcdBQ
That looks fantastic.

Cheesing the second boss was hilarious, though.
>>
>>3470802
It's comfy, and the dungeons are good.

So what if it's linear? I think that's a matter of hardware limitations. All games have a beginning and end, and just because the dungeon progression is linear doesn't mean there isn't other things to do in the world.
>>
>>3470793
Can you cite some examples?

I think there's a LOT of story in Skyward Sword, for example, but I don't think that's even a flaw in the game. Groose, Impa, and Ghirahim are all weird and enjoyable characters, and Groose undergoes a pretty interesting character arc.

What other Nintendo franchises have lots of cutscenes in them? Pikmin 3 did a great job of mixing story and gameplay. What else am I missing, here...?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.