[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expand the Ram n64

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: n64_exp_pak_orig.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
n64_exp_pak_orig.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Does the expansion pack improve all n64 games, or just allows you to play the games what require it? Also 3rd party vs original, any difference between the two?
>>
Google?
>>
>>3467302
Different answers from different sources, I'd just like to hear /vr/ on this one.
>>
>>3467297
Just adds additional RAM to the console for developers to use. This makes me wonder why Nintendo just didn't pull a Saturn and release more expansion packs with even larger RAM inside of them instead of investing in the doomed N64DD.
>>
Depends on the game. Some games are designed with it in mind but don't require it. You can get better textures, framerate, or resolution for some games. Some games like Perfect Dark require it for portions of the game but don't require it for others. Some games it doesn't benefit at all.

The stock jumper that's installed in the N64 is just a rambus terminator.
>>
Special note has to be made for Space Station Silicon Valley, which will crash if you try to play it with an expansion pack, thus you need the original jumper pack handy for that game exclusively.
>>
>>3467564

wasn't it bugged so you coucldn't complete it 100% either way?
>>
>>3467302
Kill yourself
>>
>>3467297
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak

in the future use google, it's there for a reason
>>
No. They need to be designed with the expansion pak in mind for it to make any difference.

>>3467310
The N64DD was made to expand the game capacity, not the RAM.

Jesus, how dense are you people?
>>
>>3467310
Saturn couldn't add a lot of extra memory due to architectural limitations, the games that pushed more animation ended up having awful slowdown, and later ones like Darkstalkers 3 ended up using it mostly as a cache so the game doesn't load on every goddamn cutscene.
>>
>>3467564
I played the entire game with my expansion pack.
>>
it has a lead weight in it, which makes the console heavier. This was made to prevent N64 from pulling it off the shelf accidently by moving the controller cord around too much.
>>
International Superstar Soccer 2000 gives you the option to play "high-res" - only if you have the Expantion Ram of course - but its jerky as fuck. Always played with the low-res.
>>
>>3467297
it doesn't improve anything.. It still looks like shit
>>
>>3467569
yup. You pass right through the golden thingy in one of the first levels (a faucet, I think). I loved this game as a kid, and it still makes a lump in my stomach when I'm reminded of how it will never be complete.
>>
>>3467867
>he didn't read the thread
>he is perfectly fine with letting everyone know how retarded he is and how unwilling he is to make an effort
real good shit you're bringing to the table boyo
>>
>>3468035
I think it was a quite appropriate reply tbqth
>>
>>3467854

Same deal with Perfect Dark, turns into a 10fps mess with the option turned on. Certain games can do it fine though; Star Wars Ep I Racer, Rayman 2, the THPS games. It's just one of those things that was either cool as hell or a game breaker with no inbetween.
>>
can you make an expansion pack with soldering skills and discrete chips? or would be as complicated as making your own flashcart?

most ppl in my country didnt have it back then, and buying it from outside thru ebay kills me with all sorts taxes, tax over shipping and not counting the exchange rate of my super devalued national currency
>>
>>3468314
Are you Brazilian?
>>
>>3467840
There's anecdotal evidence that sometimes it will run with a expansion pack, but most systems won't
>>
>>3468314
I mean, you could. New third party ones are still made

However, you need to either find The type of RAM that the n64 uses (now obsolete RDRAM) or find a way to interface new RAM with it in place of RDRAM)
>>
>>3467867
>>3468061
Of course it's still gonna look kinda crappy. It's a fifth gen game after all.
>>
>>3467357
>Some games like Perfect Dark require it for portions of the game

Pretty much everything outside of 2 player multiplayer if I remember
>>
>>3468323
probably an aussie
>>
>>3467297
It makes little discernible difference in most of the games that can make use of it imo. Most of the time games that have a high res mode run slower with it on, so I'd rather have faster fps at a lower res. Sometimes framerate is boosted, like in THPS.

I only have one for Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark. DK64 can suck a fuck.
>>
>>3468330
I always wondered how it is possible new third party Expansion Paks are made.

I would have assumed RDRAM ceased production with the PS2, which also used it. Unless there are some old mission critical machines that use it, and they are still making spare parts for them.
>>
>>3469236
Yeah, I kinda want to crack one open now.
>>
>>3469236
Probably (but, IDK if it's the same type of chip) can be salvaged from old P4 RDRAM sticks, even in the "dark age" of RDRAM, Intel sales were pretty good, there are plenty of sticks around and they are somehow useless because even for a retro PC enthusiast it's better to use DDR P4s (or an AMD machine)
>>
>>3467564
>>3467840
>>3468027
What the fuckkkkkkk... I just bought a copy for a dollar at a garage sale, and I only have the exp. pack...

Would a 3rd-party Original Jumper work fine with it?
>>
>>3469574
N64 used an early variant of RDRAM called Base RDRAM (so did PS2), while PCs used a later variant called Direct RDRAM. So I don't really think they are directly compatible.

There might be out there some still active twenty year old servers, workstations, or embedded systems that use Base RDRAM though. In fact, it's quite probable since you couldn't really beat RDRAM for price/performance around 1996. Fun fact: the N64 uses RDRAM deserved for servers since it has a 9th ECC bit.

On that note, Direct RDRAM as used on PCs wasn't as bad as the old memes say. The biggest problem was the absolute absurd price first and the inconsistent performance second. In the right benchmarks it didn't perform any worse than DDR, but it others it was like SDRAM.
>>
>>3469585
That game has a PC port anyway.
>>
>>3470760
Sources on that? Can't find anything.
>>
>>3469586
>On that note, Direct RDRAM as used on PCs wasn't as bad as the old memes say.

The problem with them wasn't performance, but the Intel tax and the early Pentium 4s being slower than Pentium 3s.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.