[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Strife get no love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Strife_DOS_22b.png (23KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Strife_DOS_22b.png
23KB, 640x400px
It was far ahead of its time
>>
>>3465270
It waan't actually ahead of its time when cybermage came out a year before
>>
>>3465270
I was not that far ahead. This game here had that integrated elaborate story, aaaand mouselook, and actual 3d!

Build was out. This didn't even bump the resolution up even a bit. And I don't mean 640x400, but not even half or one third that.
>>
It tried to fit an RPG-shaped peg into a Doom engine-shaped hole.
>>
>>3467018
Says who, besides reviewers and marketers?
>>
>>3467027

It's easy to break the game's scripting by accident, the RPG elements are almost non-existent and there's no way to keep track of your quests/goals.
>>
>>3467048
And who else said it actually tried to be an RPG and not a cinematic FPS?
>>
10/10 for effort, but 4/10 for execution. It was clumsy and really not very well done as you basically just stumbled around everywhere trying to figure out what the living fuck the game was trying to make you do until you accidentally stumble on it or worse, accidentally make everybody hostile toward you where you might as well start all the way over.

It was the typical mid-90s move towards style-over-substance garbage gaming.
>>
>>3467056
I never got lost the directions were always pretty clear and I didnt even have problems with the sewers people like to cry about because I used the map.
>>
>It was far ahead of its time

No it wasn't.

Ultima Underworld - 1992.
System Shock - 1994.
Elder Scrolls Arena - 1994
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall - 1996
Strife - 1996

And strife is the worst one of the lot.
>>
>>3467103
And you're still talking about it as an RPG. No wonder the developers couldn't be bothered not to lose the source code, if what they were doing was that aggressively neglected.
>>
>>3467056
did you play without the voices? the game's a lot more confusing without blackbird or whatever she's called
>>
strife always felt like a proto deus ex to me. really neat but in drastic need of a polishing gameplay mod
>>
>>3467048

No clip would fuck up the story
>>
>>3467010
>he thinks Strife used the Build engine.
>>
>>3467894
He means Build came out the same year.
>>
>>3467918
nevermind forgot Witchaven was a thing
>>
>>3467056
I never got confused, did you not play the shareware/demo version first? Even if you didn't, that's still so little of the game you'd have to repeat if you screw up.
>>
>>3467267
>if what they were doing was that aggressively neglected.
that's because what they were doing was making shit, and unless you're german, you have no reason not to aggressively neglect shit
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.