[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: the worst ideas in vidya.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

File: Commodore-64-GS.gif (43KB, 465x262px) Image search: [Google]
Commodore-64-GS.gif
43KB, 465x262px
ITT: the worst ideas in vidya.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
Obligatory.
>>
https://youtu.be/G68G8xFJZAU
>>
File: castlevania641.jpg (63KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania641.jpg
63KB, 600x300px
>>
>>3443818
The power glove was a good idea that just had very bad execution though.
>>
>>3443847
The 64GS wouldn't have been so bad had they released it in 1982.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 429x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 429x343px
>>
Wasn't the original plan for the C64 pretty much the GS?

I thought they were going for the console market first, then they turned it into a PC later.
>>
Virtual Boy
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 470x321px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 470x321px
>>
>>3444298
There was a cheaper game-focused MAX Machine, but it did so amazingly badly during it's short life in Japan that it was abandoned almost immediately.
>>
>>3444315
What the fuck is this shit
How do you even use this thing
>>
>>3444345
Close your eyes and think of England.
>>
>>3444297
Has anyone actually played one of these?

My understanding at the time was that it was actually technically more advanced than the Master System or NES.
>>
>>3444361
Yeah, it was, but it came out only one month before the Mega Drive, which was a far superior machine.
>>
File: Sucks BUALS.jpg (194KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Sucks BUALS.jpg
194KB, 800x533px
>>
File: Street-Fighter-II-Turbo-cover.jpg (40KB, 340x370px) Image search: [Google]
Street-Fighter-II-Turbo-cover.jpg
40KB, 340x370px
Why not just make Street Fighter III?

These endless updates were a sign of things to come....
>>
>>3444445
They had other games in development (Darkstalkers, X-Men), Slam Masters 2) while all those updates were coming out. The updates were largely just to fill the gap until they came out.
>>
>>3444315
I have no idea what that thing is but I have the hardest boner.
>>
Anything made after the Wii (including games)
>>
>>3444513
Not retro numpty.
>>
>>
>>3444445
Good that you used the pic for SNES version.

Admittedly, if you bought World Warrior, it'd suck that you'd have to buy Turbo to get almost the same game. Well, the 16-bit ports themselves admittedly sucked, too—just play the CPS version.

But remember that SFII was meant for arcades first. It was a huge competitive game, with national championships. From World Warrior to Super Turbo, Capcom tuned the balance, and incorporated new features/bugs people discovered into gameplay (yep, part of SF mechanics were really bugs).

The players didn't need to pay extra for these updates. They were more like expansions, really. But this doesn't do them justice, because I can say to you with all honesty: from 1991 to 1994, SF has singlehandedly developed 2D fighting genre pretty much to its current form.

Super moves were technically introduced by Art of Fighting. But Super Turbo set the blueprint for a meter that charged with special moves—which 99% of 2D fighters use today. SFII and its updates gave us hit counters and the very notion of "chaining/cancelling" moves, throw breaking, command normals/overheads, and pretty much all of the foundations of 2D fighter gameplay.

Along with Darkstalkers, its influence on fighting game genre is hard to overstate. If Capcom stuck with World Warrior, the genre would not see many cool features.
>>
>>3444697
>(yep, part of SF mechanics were really bugs).
Wasn't the very existence of combos a bug?
>>
>>3444709
Exactly. I think some of the creators said that they "didn't expect players to use those possibilities". Except people did exactly that.

Technically, I guess World Warrior was supposed to be played without combos at all. But I just turned it on and used the basic jump-in strong—>standing strong combo, and it dizzied the opponent. Did the chain again with added Hadoken at the end and it was ANOTHER dizzy, with less than 5% of health left. So it HAD to be fixed, which they did.

This is my favorite example of "what the game is supposed to be played" VS what players actually did.
>>
>>3444695
Got one for SNES back in the day. Shit sucked. Pretty sure we brought it back within a day.
>>
>>3444445

And people were willing to pay big bucks for the updates, that's how popular it was.

You guys think Capcom milking DLC for all its worth is new?
>>
>>3444856
Who paid for the "DLC", players in the arcades? Not really. I agree console ports of Turbo and Super were ripoffs, but not the arcade games.
>>
File: rock.jpg (40KB, 374x310px) Image search: [Google]
rock.jpg
40KB, 374x310px
>>
>>3444695
Awww shit nigga. I had one of these. One of the worst pads I've ever used.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (15KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
15KB, 266x190px
Digitised actors were the next big thing at one point.
>>
File: N64+Hey+You+Pikachu.jpg (302KB, 1000x698px) Image search: [Google]
N64+Hey+You+Pikachu.jpg
302KB, 1000x698px
>>
>>3443813
>>3444297
They weren't necessarily a bad idea, just released way too late.
>>
File: tumblr_neqxjmgO7i1rwszdgo3_1280.jpg (310KB, 992x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_neqxjmgO7i1rwszdgo3_1280.jpg
310KB, 992x768px
>>3445338
Digitised games are awesome m8
>>
>>3445448
Repackaging the C-64, without the keyboard, as a 'Game Console' is about as baffling desperate as things get.
>>
File: image.png (514KB, 1020x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
514KB, 1020x698px
>>3445448
At least the Amstrad console was a new purpose built machine (I think).

The C-64 console was just a C-64 without a keyboard.
>>
>>3445493
Does this game uses OutRunners engine?
>>
>>3445762
I doubt it. Ran on unique hardware -System H1

Similar concept though, I'll give you that
>>
>>3445493
The fuck is this hot mess of pixels?
>>
>>3446093
It's a sprite based racing game from Sega. Basically imagine a combo of Cruisn' USA and Outrun, with sprite graphics and weird as hell Japanese humour.

For me it is the most memorable for the remix of the Hang-on Theme.
>>
>>3444695
That color scheme is the fucking bomb though.
>>
>>3445728
>was a new purpose built machine
IIRC it wasn't.
Saying about consolised computers, I can't forget Amiga CD32, but, hell, it was sold more than Sega CD in the UK!
>>
>>3444709
Yes and no. Remember that "combo" just refers to any sequence of hits that once started can't be blocked partway through. So things like jump-ns and links count, as well as rapid-fire jabs and shorts which were specifically programmed to behave that way. Nishitani has specifically said that during development they were doubtful about whether or not it was fair to let multiple moves hit in succession like that with no way for the opponent to retaliate. They went so far as testing with invincible hitstun to make it so that combos simply couldn't happen, you'd get one hit in and that's it. But after testing, that ended up being boring, so they decided to let combos stay.
>>
>>3446447
Now, the part that people usually talk about when bringing up the "combos were a glitch" story is normal to special cancels. Those were an unforeseen side effect of a system designed to make special moves easier to perform. Everyone remembers how hard SF1's specials were to pull off because the commands were so strict. Nshitani wanted everyone to be able to use specials, so they took several measures to make the commands more forgiving. One of those was a 6 frame window at the beginning of every normal attack during which specials could still be performed. This meant that if you pressed the button just a little too early and ended up doing a normal instead, the release of the button might get detected during those next few frames and let you perform the special. Now, the issue come sin when you have normals that have quick enough startup that they actually can hit within those 6 frames. That window is still considered active during hitstop (the 14 frame "shock" that happens right as the attack connects where both attacker and victim freeze in place and the victim's sprite jitters back and forth a bit). This adds up to you being able to hit with a normal, have a rather reasonable time window thereafter to complete a special command, and go straight into the special, bypassing the normal's recovery animation.
>>
>>3446451
Although it was unintended, Nishtani and co. actually did discover this unforeseen property during development. They knew of its existence, and made the call to leave it in rather than "fixing" it, as they thought it was an interesting mechanic. So whether you want to consider normal to special cancels a glitch or not or not is sort of a matter of semantics. But the idea of combos in general was certainly foreseen and not a glitch at all.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.