[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that could have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

What are some games that were planned, but never ended up being released?

Preferably good ones, I feel like depressing myself.

Pic related: https://www.unseen64.net/2016/04/26/deep-cover-pc-cancelled/
>>
>>3443403
Oh man, there are so many.
>>
File: socks.jpg (42KB, 643x447px) Image search: [Google]
socks.jpg
42KB, 643x447px
>>3443403
RIP Socks, ROM never
>>
>>3443403
I'm very interested in seeing a list, but I'll give you a few of mine:

fallout van buren
bg3 the black hound
(elveon, though it's not vr by like 8 years)
>>
>>3443403
def this one. also lg thief 3
>>
File: powerslave2.jpg (350KB, 726x500px) Image search: [Google]
powerslave2.jpg
350KB, 726x500px
I actually just stumbled on this a few minutes ago.

Planned Powerslave 2, third person action game with less linearility than the first. For PSX and PC. PC would have multiplayer.

Looks like it could have been very Tomb Raider like.

Jap wikipedia mentions it :
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%A5%BF%E6%9A%A61999_%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AA%E3%81%AE%E5%BE%A9%E6%B4%BB

and these 2 sites:
http://www.whipassgaming.com/genesisreviews/powerslave/powerslave2.html

https://www.unseen64.net/2011/08/15/powerslave-2-psx-pc-cancelled/
>>
File: sexdrugs.jpg (426KB, 724x2482px) Image search: [Google]
sexdrugs.jpg
426KB, 724x2482px
Sex 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock 'n' Roll

I remember reading about this game during the development process, forgetting about it, and years later trying to find out what the game was just to find out that it was canceled. It was pretty much done, but because of licensing hell it was never released. There was a small interview with the devs, and they said even though the game is pretty much playable they never released it because they missed their window; point and click adventure games were already dead and heavy metal wasn't such big deal in mainstream media anymore.

It was this adventure game about British heavy metal band in vein of Judas Priest, and it had a full album of original rock/metal songs and music videos about the in-game band etc. The game was going to be multiple CDs long, which was pretty big deal together with FMV back in the days of early 90s.
The game had also decision making and some really crude and dark humor involved ie. you could die of AIDS etc.

Somewhere in some forgotten vault, there is a working copy of this game. We can only hope someday some hacker or the original devs will leak it to public.
>>
>>3443403
Damn, that looks comfy as fuck. At least we got Deus Ex.
>>
E3 2001 duke nukem forever
>>
File: wadvendures.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wadvendures.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

It was probably pretty meh
>>
>>3444642
I remember seeing this on the 4Later program Bits. The show mentioned that it caused controversy as there was a scene where the main character has sex while spread eagle on a massive star. If I can recall correctly, it was the Jewish community that complained saying that it was the star of David.
>>
File: feelsbad.jpg (7KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
feelsbad.jpg
7KB, 316x202px
>>3444653
It's still too soon, anon...
>>
>>3444636
Here is an interview

Sega X: I remember an Exhumed/Powerslave 2 being in the works. Gamefan showed some graphics/art from it. I assume the project has been long cancelled, however I'd like to ask: were the Lobotomy folks 'glad' to move on, or did they really miss the opportunity?

Brian: We really wanted to finish Powerslave/Exhumed 2. It was too bad we didn't because it would have been a great game.

Sega X: What formats were you planning the game for?

Brian: It was mainly going to be a PlayStation game but we had also talked about doing a PC version as well.

Sega X: How far into development was the game?

Brian: We had built a playable PlayStation demo with a test level and a controllable main character when we stopped. We also had several enemy creatures modeled and animated and a fairly complete design document. Overall though we were probably only 10% into development.

Sega X: What was the design brief?

Brian: The game was to take place in a fictional Egyptian past, where the player character was a young Egyptian soldier, possibly even King Ramses before he became King. So in that sense the game could have been called a "prequel."

As far as game play goes, the world was going to be larger in scope than Powerslave with a lot of the same action and adventure qualities like fast play control action and fighting, puzzle solving, heavy atmosphere and mood, etc. We had also planned to incorporate a unique use of the "afterlife" concept that was a staple in Egyptian beliefs.
[...]
>>
>>3445246

Sega X: Was it to be a third person game?

Brian: Yes it was. If so, what are your thoughts on 3D camera positioning? Brian: Third person 3D cameras usually work best when they don't make you feel like you are controlling two entities at once, both the character and the camera. To me, if you can't feel the camera as an obstacle in the game world you become more immersed into the game. Games like Metal Gear Solid and Dino Crisis work well because you don't have to worry about controlling the camera, however, they don't give you the freedom of being able to look anywhere you want to. You are restricted to viewing only what the designers want you to see with fixed cameras and cameras on tracks. Free moving camera systems work best when they are used in huge environments that are wide open. Mario 64 is the best example of a controllable camera system I can think of. In games like this, the fewer objects the camera has to run into, the less the game player notices the camera as an object in the world. At the same time though you still have the problem of controlling both the character and the camera as two separate objects throughout the game, which negatively impacts game play when the two aren't working well together.

Ultimately I feel the best use of a 3D camera system in a third person game would be one in which you never have to control the camera in any way at all, but still get to see everything you want to. But that would require the camera to think like the game player on the fly.
>>
File: Freelance_Police_screenshot.jpg (181KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Freelance_Police_screenshot.jpg
181KB, 400x300px
While tell tales version was competant it just couldn't capture the magic that hit and run had.

Damm you lucasarts
>>
Project Dream SNES (First one in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fhuBAXJnok

They said it was supposed to be an RPG which by the footage I assume it'd have been Seiken Densetsu-esque.
>>
>>3444654
It would have been great. Just like Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fuiry.
>>
The original Banjo Kazooie. Project Dream or whatever.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.