[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FFV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: ff5box-jap.jpg (104KB, 1150x637px) Image search: [Google]
ff5box-jap.jpg
104KB, 1150x637px
What is the best way to play Final Fantasy V?
SNES, PS1 or GBA?
I'd imagine the gba version is poor like all snes -> gba ports but it might have extras that balance it out?
The snes original would need a patch so which is the best translation?
The ps1 port might be the best option for ease and there is a cheap copy on ebay going for £10 which is great but do the ps1 failings ruin the overall feel?
(I'd prefer to buy a copy but emulation is still an option if it is better over a real copy on a crt)

I'm ignoring ios/android ports because I'm not a total idiot.
Wii might be an option if the end result is just as good or better than the others.
>>
File: faris.jpg (92KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
faris.jpg
92KB, 600x800px
GBA. It has the best translation, and a bit of extra content ( Gladiator, Oracle, Cannoneer jobs ) and another extra job if you play through and beat the bonus dungeon and defeat A certain boss. Kinda nice that they made that bonus dungeon and boss actually relevant to the story, people don't usually do that in ports.

For being on the GBA, the sound and music is actually really good, especially on the Micro.
Graphically I find it very appealing compared to the SNES and PS1 versions, everything stands out nicely, looks much more polished over all.

Oh, don't bother with the phone por-
>I'm ignoring ios/android parts because I'm not a total idiot
Oh, okay good. I like you.
>>
>>3442821
does the smaller screen hamper things, text-wise.
>>
>>3442828
No, they made the text big for that very reason.
I had no problems reading or seeing anything on the Micro, so just playing on an SP or a DS will be maximum comfy.
>>
File: FFVA_01.png (10KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
FFVA_01.png
10KB, 240x160px
>>3442828
Oh, I played through it on an emulator once, so I have some screenshots to give an example.
>>
>The snes original would need a patch so which is the best translation?
The best way would be to play it without a translation.
>>
File: FFVA_04.png (27KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
FFVA_04.png
27KB, 240x160px
>>3442846
The battle backgrounds were all redone, I think they look pretty nice, especially in comparison to the SNES and PS1.
>>
>>3442834
sounds good.

does the ps1 version have anything that makes it better or is gba the way to go?
> the cheap copy on ebay doesn't have long to go and other copies are much, much higher
>>
>>3442853
PS1 version has a pretty sloppy translation (not as bad as ps1 ff4 though), and then there's loading times. It has FMV's for the intro of the game and the end. Aside from that it's exactly the same as the SNES.

Also don't know why those screenshots ended up so small, it'll obviously be bigger on a GBA/SP/DS
>>
I'd go with the original for a first playthrough for almost any game, especially past gen 3, but I can read Japanese so I'm not sure how bad the fan translation is.
>>
A fan translation of FFV SFC is great.
The PS1 version is complete shit. Awful translation and awful loading times.
The GBA version is easily the best. Best translation, updated graphics look less like a game from 1990, and extra content. The only downside is the music that took a hit from the shithouse GBA speaker.
>>
>>3442861
oh don't worry, those screenshots are lovely.

>>3442867
was worried about the ps1 port, loading times are ok sometimes but the poor translations that square did at the time do ruin things a little.

gba it is! Thanks much, saved £10 not buying from ebay, shame the gba version is still the same price range but i'll download that sucker and play on the 3dsxl.

Thanks again /vr/, stay classy.
>>
File: ff5all.jpg (167KB, 472x700px) Image search: [Google]
ff5all.jpg
167KB, 472x700px
>>3442875
No probably anon. Hope you enjoy the game, it's pretty good, and the job system is fun to play with. Cheers
>>
>>3442878
>probably
problem*
>>
>>3442810
It's a great game. Everytime I see a new thread about it I get the itch to do a fiesta run.
>>
>>3443251
>It's a great game. Everytime I see a new thread about it I get the itch to do a fiesta run.

FF5 is great.

The Fiesta is dogshit. 90% of the time it's either too easy or far too difficult.
>>
>>3443270
Yeah you are not wrong about that. But it makes the get feel freash every time I play it. Which is my 9th time starting today.
>>
>>3442810
You would be a total idiot if you were asking about Dragon Quest since the mobile ports ARE the best versions (except 3)
>>
>>3443625
But he's not. Amazing post.
>>
File: image.jpg (324KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
324KB, 1242x2208px
>>3443625
. . . .
>>
>>3442867
>updated graphics look less like a game from 1990
>>
>>3443701
It's commonly accepted that the 90s were when games hit the uncanny valley, so this is a good thing.
>>
>>3443625
>bringing up Dragon Quest for no reason in a Final Fantasy thread
>implying that the mobile version of ANYTHING is better than other versions
If you don't want to get laughed at, you should try to hide your autism, faggot.
>>
>>3442821
One thing about the GBA ports is that you can use the sound restoration patch if you don't like it. It also fixes any slowdown issues in the port as well.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/

Even if I don't like some aspects of the port, using Amano's portraits when a character is talking, it is the best way to play it at the moment.
>>
>>3442828

In particular, since FFV was actually a pretty drab game, you don't lose anything with the smaller real estate.
>>
>>3443650
The DS version of DQ4 is the best. The Japanese original and not a translation, but that should be obvious.
>>
Where the fuck did Galuf get those meteors? I hate how that was never explained.
>>
>>3442810
I own the PS1 version; GBA version; and Android version, and played the emulated SNES patched version...

They are all fine. I prefer now adays to play the Android because I work too much.
>>
I know the GBA version is by all accounts better but I just cannot look past the Amano portraits.

They're awful in this game. They look NOTHING like the characters.
>>
SNES
>>
>>3446184
Yeah, I ignored them for the most part. Faris and Lenna most of all look completely different, and Bartz looks as pale as Alucard. Galuf isn't terrible imo
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.