[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RETRO WRASSLIN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

File: smackdown 2.jpg (193KB, 1437x1080px) Image search: [Google]
smackdown 2.jpg
193KB, 1437x1080px
Thread for retro wrestling vidya. What are the best /vr/ era pro-wrestling video games? The most obvious ones to me are the SmackDown! -games because of their fantastic custom wrestler creation system and season modes. I always loved to play season/career mode with my own wrestlers, it was just like in TV.

Are the WCW games on N64 any good? Or the ECW games on DreamCast?
>>
File: wrestlemania saturn.jpg (134KB, 640x994px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlemania saturn.jpg
134KB, 640x994px
Oh, and of course Wrestlemania Arcade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tod0bLkbZaA

The noisiest game ever made. There is just so much shit going on at the same time.
>>
THQ/AKI are goat
NWO World Tour
Wrestlemania 2000
No Mercy
NWO Revenge
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2

From worst(not bad, just most limited) to best.

Virtual Pro 2 will mainly appeal to to Japanese wrestling fans, but it has a few Americans that spent time in Japan. You can play a with Kobashi, Misawa, Taue, Stan Hansen, Hayabusa, Great Sausake, Tiger Mask, Vader, Kamala, UltimoDragon, Great Muta, Terry Funk, Andre the Giant, Dr. Death Steve Williams, and I could go on.

If you play wrestling games for gimmick matches you'll be disappointed, you can still grab weapons from the crowd but in Japan weapon use is very uncommon aside from a couple companies.

But Virtual Pro gets me because it's got a huge roster, cool CAW mode, huge move list with a lot of signature moves(even from wrestlers not in the game), and it does feel like Japanese wrestling. Lots of suplexes, stiff strikes, and submissions.

Oh, are you a fan of MMA? You can select some MMA fighters already in game or make your own, drastically changing the play style.

All those games are good, probably my favorite reversal and special systems in any game

Next I'd say the Fire Pro games, they're super in depth and the most challenging to master. Button mashing will definitely make you lose. The not retro one is my favorite but they're all good. It's really about pacing, you normally can't do big moves until you wear your opponent down, just because it's an automatic reversal. They also have some ridiculous moves, like a suplex where you do a do a backflip and drop your opponent of their head.

Then the smack down games, but again it's the second non retro one that's my favorite. I just say this because it was the best WWF series besides WM2K/NM
>>
>>3439871
Will smackdown 2 work on my ps3?
>>
AJPW vs Virtua on Saturn is good.
>>
>>3439871
No Mercy by far
>>
>>3440231
WCW/nWo Revenge was better. WCW kicked WWF's ass.
>>
Which game has the best season mode? And by best I mean a mode that captures the drama and ridiculousness of the actual sport: large men solving personal issues in the ring, trash talking, badmouthing, drama etc.

SmackDown! Here Comes The Pain has excellent season mode, but it gets rather repetitive after a while. It's kinda sad how WWF/E games are dominating the genre.
>>
>>3440217
I think the early PS3s were backward compatible
A few years ago I watched my friend play Legend of Dragoon on his
>>
>>3440349
Probably No Mercy. A lot of early wrestling games had no season mode. Some had tournaments, some had Punch Out style 1p mode where you go through a list of opponents, but many didn't have a story mode.

I think it's worth mentioning extreme warfare, the wrestling fed management game with no wrestling. You can kind of shape stories. Later revisions let you choose gimmicks, start feuds, book matches and angles(don't play it if you don't want to believe wrestling is real). If you have enough money and build your fed up big enough you can hire the rock to wrestle some jobber you pulled from a backyard fed.

I think the not retro ps2 smackdown games had decent story modes, but video game stories tend to be cheesy and that was when wwe started becoming super cheesy
>>
>>3440396
I know they removed ps2 later on post 80gb.

Nvm, just read it all of them can play ps1, only the early ones can play ps2.

Im gonna hunt down old Ps1 games.
>>
>>3439871
>Are the WCW games on N64 any good?
They were the shit. The THQ N64 wrestling games were literally the GOATest ever.

This >>3439880 is also fucking amazing.
>>
>>3440456

Well, WCW/NWO World Tour and WCW/NWO Revenge are brilliant, THQ/AKI jumped ship to the WWF and handed over the license to EA after that though, where we got really shitty games like WCW Nitro, WCW Mayhem and WCW Backstage Assault.

WCW vs. The World on the Playstation is also a decent curiosity, being the first game on the AKI engine.
>>
>>3440217
Yes
>>
>>3440518
Perfer them over hctp.

Seems like no one plays that anymore.
>>
Anyone played Giant Gram 2000? It's pretty good
>>
Fire Pro Wrestling is love. Fire Pro Wrestling is life.
Even the non-retro ones.
>>
File: stone cold sonic.gif (2MB, 370x284px) Image search: [Google]
stone cold sonic.gif
2MB, 370x284px
>tfw THQ is dead
>>
File: wcw ad.jpg (757KB, 1280x1759px) Image search: [Google]
wcw ad.jpg
757KB, 1280x1759px
I'm still salty they stopped showing WWE in my country.

>network puts RAW and SmackDown! on new experimental youth culture channel
>they become really popular shows among kids and young adults because of the action, drama, and for just being fresh new interesting shows in general
>they push the shows to late night airing time because of the complaints of blood and violence (it was the attitude era)
>ratings go down a bit because regular viewers simply won't wait to 1 AM to see wraslin
>after few years, TV network puts the shows on pay channels; RAW, SmackDown!, and ECW
>good idea because it would mean all special PPV shows would also be showed
>bad idea because not that many people are not going to pay for wraslin
>after year or so, they stopped showing wrestling altogether

/blog

I feel nostalgic just thinking about those friday nights, waiting anxiously to see my favorite sweaty muscle beasts beat the living hell out of each other. Those were good times.
>>
WCW Vs The World is great
>>
File: wcw.jpg (378KB, 1091x1695px) Image search: [Google]
wcw.jpg
378KB, 1091x1695px
What was that WCW(?) game TV advert where Sting and some other guys where throwing those kids all over the house, breaking them trough windows, dragging them on tables etc.? That was pretty funny commercial and would probably get banned nowadays, if it didn't already get banned in the 90s.
>>
>>3439880
I found this cab in a dingy video rental place not long ago.

I had a hell of a time with it; was much better than I was expecting.
>>
>>3441389
It definitely is. It's very different, though. I finally got an arcade stick for the DC, and I'm eager to try it out on there, seeing as it's basically Virtua Fighter meets pro wrestling. I had trouble pulling off the moves with a normal DC controller.
>>
>>3441415
>the avatar one for xbla
>>
>>3447664
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1fnrRgOr8

(It was a commercial for Sprite)
>>
File: sting disguise.gif (1016KB, 296x225px) Image search: [Google]
sting disguise.gif
1016KB, 296x225px
>>3449595
Nice. Didn't know it was a Sprite commercial.
>>
>>3439871
I owned nearly every wrestling game on the Playstation at one point.

Does anyone else remember Power Move Pro Wrestling? It was a pretty good game with unlicensed wrestlers.
>>
wcw mayham
>>
File: Superman Tag Team Wrestling 1.jpg (10KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Superman Tag Team Wrestling 1.jpg
10KB, 256x240px
>>3439871

I'm hacking Tag Team Wrestling on the NES and putting Superman in it. I forgot how terrible the game is.

1/2
>>
File: Superman Tag Team Wrestling 2.jpg (30KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Superman Tag Team Wrestling 2.jpg
30KB, 256x240px
>>3439871

However, Tag Team Wrestling is a good starting point if you're looking to get into rom hacking. I'm just using the Superman sprites from the NES Superman game.

2/2
>>
>>3450552
Couldn't you have picked a game that was at least playable to begin with
>>
>>3450583

It's the easiest NES wrestling game to hack.
>>
Get Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 over WCW vs nWo: World Tour. The AI and move sets are better, and has nearly 60 more wrestlers, and two extra BGMs.
>>
>>3439871
Fire Pro Wrestling X for the snes is like crack. I wasted so many hours on that fucking game.
>>
File: 36480_front.jpg (95KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
36480_front.jpg
95KB, 640x640px
Anyone ever played Blazing Tornado? It's basically Fire Pro + Slam Masters
>>
Great thread, retro rasslin games are great.

Somebody here has played Kings of Colosseum Red, Green or 2, it is a great game really feels like japanese wrestling, maybe the wrestlers movements are robotic but the moves look great.

Also im a big fan of WCW/nwo Revenge, the only downside of it was when the opponent get up too fast after a big move, i was never able to win with the Buff Blockbuster, did any of you wre able to pull this finish?
>>
>>3450021
Haven't played it but I heard that it's basically the first NJPW Toukon Retsuden game with no NJPW license for the Western market.
>>
File: dVc741z.jpg (41KB, 562x431px) Image search: [Google]
dVc741z.jpg
41KB, 562x431px
Maybe I'm biased but Smackdown 2 Know Your Role will always be my favorite wrasslin game. Yes the season mode gets repetitive but its gotta be my favorite season mode in any wrasslin game. I still scour the net trying to find old websites for CAW's for it. It's gotta have one of the most intricate CAW system for its time on PS1.
>>
>>3439880
>PIN HIIIIIIM! PIIIIIN HIIIIIIIIIM! PIIN HIIIIIM!
>>
File: wrestlewarmd.jpg (35KB, 180x253px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlewarmd.jpg
35KB, 180x253px
>>3439871
only wrestling games by AKI, Spike and Sega are worth playing
>>
>>3455097
wish she'd OD so she'd stop ruining wwe shows
>>
>>3452869
>Somebody here has played Kings of Colosseum Red, Green or 2, it is a great game really feels like japanese wrestling, maybe the wrestlers movements are robotic but the moves look great.

It took me forever before I could just get my hands on the ISO for KOCII, and by that time I no longer had any desire to play it. That said, the game reminds me of NJPW3 for PS1, just slower. NJPW3 was an amazing game. My friends and I played the shit out of it, til AKI released VPW for N64. Still don't get how Yukes could develop an amazing game like NJPW3 and flush it all down the drain. Guess Vince's money meant more than making good games.
>>
The answer is a tie.

WWF No Mercy (N64) Smackdown 2 Know Your Role (PS1)

The kings. No other compares. (At least of just WWF organization)
>>
File: wwe stairs.gif (988KB, 473x266px) Image search: [Google]
wwe stairs.gif
988KB, 473x266px
>those awkward early experimental commentator voice acting before they became a standard in sports games
>"oh my god, SHAWN MICHAELS! has punched, STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN!, oh my god!"
>"SHAWN MICHAELS!, picks up, A CHAIR, oh my god! SHAWN MICHAELS!"
>>
File: rekt.jpg (106KB, 624x454px) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
106KB, 624x454px
>>3439871
my nigga

SD2 was the shit
>>
ROPE BREAK
>>
>>3440456
Have to agree here. WCW/NWO knocked your fucking dick in the dirt.
>>
>>3442605
Where the hell do you live?
>>
>>3460283
Finland. WWF/E even held a few events in Finland, but the last two-three visits were pretty big disappointments because the halls were half-empty, and thus wasn't making enough profit. That probably contributed to the cancellation of the shows in our TV.
>>
>>3459350
I really want to get sd3 for my ps3.
>>
>>3461459
[Spoiler]I think 4 and 5 are the best[/spoiler]

The only reason you like 3 is because you secretly like limp bizkit
>>
File: 40166_front.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
40166_front.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>
File: 38060_front.jpg (135KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
38060_front.jpg
135KB, 640x619px
>>
>>3440423

SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role for PS1 also has a great season mode. A little bit repetitive, but full of random events, and it has a ranking for every title.
>>
>>3439871
not into these
>>
>>3455097
>you have a main even match
>opponent walks down hallway
>someone offscreen calls him over
>gets shit packed
>you see bizarre guy
>you fight bizarre guy
>unlock clothes and moves

I don't care, it's fun
Especially when you add you own commentary
>>
>>3461938
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJAisp4NFo
>>
Kings Soul. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UnhomBqcoIk

Later the Koc series on ps 2.
>>
>>3462510

One of the biggest video game-related disappointments I've ever had was the day when I decided to put my SD2:KYR disc in my PC and look through the data....I found a file that had all of the scrapped text dialogue for Season Mode. The actual game only used about maybe 20% of what I saw in that file.

Season Mode would have been so much better if they could have included all of these. I understand there was only so much they could put on one disc, but still....

https://tcrf.net/WWF_SmackDown!_2:_Know_Your_Role!/Unused_Text

I only recently learned there were even scrapped sound bites from JR, Lawler and a few wrestlers:

https://tcrf.net/WWF_SmackDown!_2:_Know_Your_Role!/Unused_Audio
>>
>>3439871
>Hell in a Cell
>is just a normal sized cage with a roof

You had one job, Yuke's.
>>
>>3439871
spent an ungodly amount of time creating custom wrestlers in No Mercy for my own headcannon using Championship mode. My main wrestler lost to HHH the first time on purpose so I could fuel my rampage in the second new game and didn't stop beating HHH until his entire body was red. Nobody walked out of that year of WWE the same way they came in. Even had a wrestler dedicated to loosing on purpose and another guy who could only win by punching the other guy until he bled, then he was allowed to pin.
>>
>>3461938
Couldn't get into any of the Dreamcast westling games. Attitude was a close favorite though.
>>
>>3460375

poor Finbro

will crack 4 buds and drink them all at once in your honor.
>>
>>3468926
Me and my buddies did this, all the gimmicks and storylines, jobbers, angles, title reigns. We were ridiculous with it. We took the thq games super serious, we all got really good with the reversal systems. One time in virtual pro we did a triple threat that hit the 60 minute time limit. We were so into it we did another, and I got the pin at 59:53 cause one of them tried to do a special strike to break the pin and accidentally taunted. He stormed out of the room to cool off, but then came back like a minute later to keep playing. My best multiplayer experiences were in those games.
>>
>>3468916

Holy shit! That's a pity
>>
>>3451997
I'm making a save pack for that.
>>
>>3439880
At least show some gameplay from someone
who has Hogan levels of move variety.

This is just super combos, but at least has everyone's signature moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshrU4jxKEA
>>
I was playing some Smackdown 2 earlier and realized like 1/4 of the characters are dead

The tag team champs in my season mode are dead
>Chyna and Eddie Guerrero
>>
>>3472941
La Raza Guerrero will never die! NEVER
>>
>>3468916

I've said a hundred times that they need to focus on making Season Mode simpler, more standardized (in terms of cutscenes), more text-based and more RPG-ish, to give the games higher replay value

Sure, start the player off with a linear one-year season mode of specific feuds, cutscenes, storylines, etc. filled with voice-overs that reflect the real-life current feuds and storylines......but after Wrestlemania, switch over to a mostly text-based mode with more standardized feuds/cutscenes, based on simple factors such as: face/heel status, alliances, superstar rating, etc.

I have so many fucking ideas on the details of how it should be done. But it doesn't even make sense taking the time to describe them in full, when I know it's a waste of time since I'm not the one making the games and I never will be.
>>
>>3455074
Yes it is. That game engine was pretty cool. It was improved a lot by Toukon Retsuden 3 (PS) and 4 (Dreamcast). Too bad Yukes put it in the vault to make WWE games nowadays with a wannabe AKI engine.
>>
>>3440237
No, No Mercy was an improvement on Revenge
>>
Not VR but wrestling game related. For a couple weeks we all made characters in a wrestling game for everyone on shift and just watched them fight in AI mode. Fun times!
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.