[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ TV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 19

File: captain-game-center.jpg (110KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
captain-game-center.jpg
110KB, 848x480px
I was going through a box of old Japanese VHS tapes (recorded off of broadcast) and caught an episode of a show from the early 80s called Game Center Arashi. It's about a kid that travels arcades to take on all comers, and then inevitably gets into to some fantastical adventure.

The show itself is barely worth mentioning, really, but look how similar his jacket is to Captain N's! Did Arashi grow up to become a white guy named Kevin?? I guess we'll never know the true canon.

/vr/ television general? What were some of your favorite shows? Do you remember the CBS Supercade? Were you excited or disappointed when you realized it was Friday, and the Super Mario Bros Super Show was going to be replaced by the Legend of Zelda cartoon? Do you remember the fall preview that first teased the new Super Mario WORLD cartoon?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (30KB, 612x218px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
30KB, 612x218px
>I don't know what a letterman's jacket is
Anyway, on topic for the thread Saturday Supercade was aimed at me when I was that age. Captain N tried but missed the mark somewhat. Needed more shades of Freakazoid..
>>
Seems about it... But my god, look at the buck teeth.
>>
Nick arcade was awesome when I was a kid. Lame ass fuck when I watch it on YouTube now.
>>
File: 19A9Cpp[1].jpg (192KB, 900x656px) Image search: [Google]
19A9Cpp[1].jpg
192KB, 900x656px
Also is it just me or is Kevin like top tier forr lame names. Have you ever known a cool guy named Kevin? No.

>>3432475
Check out Ted Turner's STARCADE for a much better take on the video game show. Phil Moore was the most intolerable shoeshine nigger ever.
>>
File: videopower.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
videopower.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>3432475
I remember loving having a reliable vg-based gameshow. I preferred Video Power, but it seemed like it was only on "sometimes." Never showed up in the TV Guide, either. First place I learned the value of a NeoGeo console.
>>
File: Well Excuse Me Princess Meme.jpg (87KB, 352x400px) Image search: [Google]
Well Excuse Me Princess Meme.jpg
87KB, 352x400px
>>3432451
>Were you excited or disappointed when you realized it was Friday, and the Super Mario Bros Super Show was going to be replaced by the Legend of Zelda cartoon?
I was kinda meh about it, but my mom always looked forward to it. She thought Mario (and most of the other shows I watched as a kid) was dumb, Zelda was the only cartoon she would sit down to watch along with me.
>>
File: nataliadim.png (506KB, 658x452px) Image search: [Google]
nataliadim.png
506KB, 658x452px
>>
Any Canadians remember Video and Arcade Top 10?
>>
>>3433307
Yeah i did.

They had some exclusive versions of games if i last recall.
>>
>>3432475
Nick arcade was always lame as a matter of the producers picking the dumbest morherfuckers as contestants.
>>
I would've totally played an official Captain N video game.

>>3432481
In Germany, Kevin is one of those stereotypical names along with Justin, Cindy, Jaqueline, Chantal, etc. that only low-class people give their soon-to-be problem childs.
Kevin isn't just a name here, it's a diagnosis.
>>
File: captainN.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
captainN.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>
File: captainN2.jpg (56KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
captainN2.jpg
56KB, 480x360px
>>
>>3433353
Mohamed is soon number 1
>>
File: Robby Rob.jpg (96KB, 467x355px) Image search: [Google]
Robby Rob.jpg
96KB, 467x355px
>>3433353
And speaking of Germany:

Anyone here who remembers Games World?
Even as a kid I thought it was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen, featuring the bastard offspring of Sportacus and /v/ and the worst gamers you could think of.

And I loved every minute of it.
>>
>>3432451
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0P9wbJXfYU
>>
I vaguely remember this one show that you called in to and you could control the game with your phone. I saw a few episodes, but I only remember the game Lawnmower Man. It was one of the VR sequence stages that the caller was controlling. I also remember that the show didn't last long. Anyone else remember this show?
>>
does ANYONE remember the game review show TWITCH that was on in 1995-1996?

It was on some weird ass cable channel called Preview TV, which would show episodes from various premium cable channels (not pay channel premium, not hbo or anything) to entice people with basic cable to get a higher level tier.

They had this show called Twitch however that was a review show for video games. I fucking loved it. here is the IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1744868/

I can't find any copies on youtube.
>>
>>3434213
Yes I remember this weird ass show. I remember it was like, new years eve 1993 or something and I was watching it. They had two people playing Mortal Kombat against each other and one kid mopped the floor with the other, he didn't even move once. It was so weird, like 5 of the numbers were for moving and 4 of them were attacks. Such a weird time where technology was before the internet .
>>
Australians had the best vidya gaem /tv/ shows on the telly m8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7baHas0JaK0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KyXTv1YulU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYPgVQCClwc
>>
>>3434403
Nigger probably called in on a rotary dial phone lol
>>
>>3434213
>>3434403
>>3434441
I've posted about this before and nobody else seems to remember it. I was tempted to post it ITT earlier, but decided against it because I thought none of you woulda known it.

I got to play Cool Spot on it.

We were living in the US at the time (we went back and forth a lot in the 90s) and I was lucky enough to be in America when that show was on.
>>
>>3434463
Holy shit, you actually did it? What was it like?

>>3434441
AAHAHAAHHA
>>
File: Link and Zelda.jpg (9KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
Link and Zelda.jpg
9KB, 267x189px
>>3432513

It was kind of a weird parody of the Bruce Willis romance comedy show "Moonlighting"

It seemed somewhat loyal to the game series, in a stilted "we won't do much world-building beyond what's already been established" way.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 407x286px
Loosely related, but does anyone have a download or torrent link for the pokemon tv show?

My computer decided to nuke the folder containing seasons 1-15, the movies, OST, and pikachu OVAs.

I also just found out that Kickass Tor died along with publicbt.
Fuck.
>>
>>3434403
>>3434463
Awesome. This is the first time I've ever mentioned this show and a few people have actually seen it.

One of the episodes that I saw showed the host throwing his hands up in exasperation at someone off camera right as they cut back to him. Apparently he noticed and it embarrassed the hell out of him, but he rolled with it and jumped right back into host mode. It's weird, but I remember the incident clearly.

Fuck, I wanna see that show again, just for nostalgia sake. I saw maybe five or six episodes and then poof, it disappeared.
>>
>>3432451
Why does '80s to early '90s anime look so good? Even the cheap shit is nice to look at.
>>
>>3433379
We only had public channels so all I watched was X-Base.
>>
>>3434521
>I also just found out that Kickass Tor died along with publicbt.
This hurt me way more that Megaupload going down.
>>
File: 1392750610692.jpg (610KB, 2001x2960px) Image search: [Google]
1392750610692.jpg
610KB, 2001x2960px
I remember a show called Game Nation back in 1995. I mainly only remember them talking about the "upcoming" DKC2, and it was nice to see actual footage of a game for once compared to just reading magazines. Of the three hosts, two were just people in TV screens. I remember they even had a contest to send in the origin story of how they got in there, and the winning entry involved the girl getting teleported by a Star Trek transporter.

Only reason I remember the name was because one episode had a joke with the guy in the TV wearing a condom hat during a self-parody bit with a show called "Condom Nation".
>>
No mention of The Power Team/Video Power? boooo
>>
File: Born to Ride.jpg (53KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
Born to Ride.jpg
53KB, 641x480px
Born in 89, one night while channel surfing ~1999/2000 found an episode of the Super Mario World cartoon airing. All the mario shows had been off the air for years at that point, I never had any Mario tapes or even knew there was a show, but had played all the main Mario games and was a fan, it was a pretty big thing for me to see it on tv! Even cooler was when it ended an episode of the Mario Bros 3 cartoon aired. Both episodes were intercut with short safety tips from Inspector Gadget, like proper campfire etiquette, ect, so I wonder if whatever station (PAX I think was the abbr.) aired it that night had just found an old reel and aired it accidentally instead of their current broadcast. I remember staying up late trying to see more episodes, but I never saw any aside from that first night.
>>
File: nicolas picolas.jpg (168KB, 610x334px) Image search: [Google]
nicolas picolas.jpg
168KB, 610x334px
>>3433307
>>3433329
i used to watch it all the time, even though i thought it was stupid

i loved how 90% of their "tips" were "you can pause the game with the start button!!!" tier
>>
>>3432451
Arashi showed up in a separate anime/manga by a different author/artist called Arcade Gamer Fubuki - he's the guy wearing a Pac-Man ghost mask. That series also features retro arcade games.
>>
>>3434975
Is torrenting going to die by the end of this decade?
>>
>>3435835
Maybe.

On the flip side this could mean a surge in physical piracy, usually done on a local scale by people who travel around to flea markets and such it's harder to pin down.
>>
>>3436089
Aw hell no.

I torrent to much obscure shit for that.

I was barely lucky enough to get Dark Void right before the last torrent of it died.
>>
>>3433307
This was no point in watching it after seeing Electric Playground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIh-wFhYEUc
>>
>>3434430
>The Zone
Fucken oath.
>>
File: letterman.jpg (75KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
letterman.jpg
75KB, 1000x1000px
>>3432451

Did we ever figure out what he actually got his letter in? Usually you have to be on some kind of TEAM or something and Kevin was well.. how can I put this nicely..a phenomenal pussy.
>>
>>3432451
I can't find anything about Game Center Arashi in English besides the Wikipedia page, but it seems the entire series can be seen on YouTube.
>>
>>3434430
>See ga

Fucking Straya
>>
>>3437490
Gotta problem cunt?
>>
>>3437492

Only with yer face.
>>
>>3433379
Dutch-kun here, I remember watching a German show way back when. Did they also show Arcade/Neo Geo games? I remember that...shit was so cool.
>>
>>3434471
I only played for a few minutes because I kept running into that first fucking hermit crab. I think the controls weren't very responsive or something. I don't know. Overall, the experience wasn't great.

>>3434725
>the host
>he
Does anyone remember the name of the host? I don't remember clearly, but I think when I tried it, it was that newsanchor lady thing that did the Fox Kids news stuff which was titled "Your World." It was quite unlike today's "Your World" the one with Neil Cavuto. I think her name was Stacy/ie or Tracy/ie something. I remember her saying "I'm Stacy/ie/Tracy/ie so-and-so and this is Your World" at the beginning of each 1-2 minute Your World segment.

I don't remember it too well because I still hadn't mastered English quite yet and English-language names were weird to me at the time.
>>
>>3437475
"The Big Game" aka "that episode where they completely butcher the bosses of Mega Man 2" has Wily actually bring the gym of his school and some of his classmates to Video Land. It's there that it's revealed that his school is called "North Ridge High", and he himself was on the Junior Varsity swim team.
>>
>>3437475
>>3437786

>how does it feel to know Kevin was better than you at the games you love and if he was real he would be better than you at that too.
>>
File: reyvgm_zelda2[1].gif (351KB, 2698x1888px) Image search: [Google]
reyvgm_zelda2[1].gif
351KB, 2698x1888px
>>3437872
That's nothing. Let me blow your mind.

>Captain N's crew were rarely provided adequate reference materials, and often had to design the characters and enemies based on actually playing the game in question to draw their interpretations of the blurry, pixelly sprites
>The Quest for the Potion of Power was the Zelda 2 episode
>The cast journeys through a desert where rocks fly through the air nonstop, before dispatching Horsehead in the their first dungeon
>They take a secret underground passage located in a graveyard to reach the Island Palace, where they fight an Iron Knuckle on its steed as a boss.
>finally, they learn Reflect magic, used to defeat a wizard (Ganon) by sending his own magic back at him

>yfw when you realize the people who made Captain N were better at Zelda II than most gamers
>>
File: vhswizardry.jpg (193KB, 661x551px) Image search: [Google]
vhswizardry.jpg
193KB, 661x551px
>>3432451
So we all agree that the Wizardry OVA is the best video game movie right?
>>
I remember watching the Super Mario Super Show quite a lot, the live action bits were and always will be the best part of the show.
>>
>>3440915

well, being 100 percent honest I think that had less to do with anything else and more to do with the cartoon parts being nonsensical and frankly retarded
>>
>>3435835
Nope, just moving to smaller, dedicated private trackers.

>>3434975
There's still so much we haven't been able to recover after Megaupload went down

>>3432451
The FFIV OVAs are pretty decent.
>>
>>3441803
>There's still so much we haven't been able to recover after Megaupload went down

Like what, out of curiosity?
I was generally able to find everything I wanted on KAT.
>>
>>3440889
Did everything have an OVA back then? I figure that Japanese people are usually busy and don't have time for movies except for NEETs and hikis who weren't nearly as numerous during that time.
>>
>>3439330
What was the point of this statement?
And relevance does it have to me? I knew all this. If you grew up back then you would have also.
>>
>>3443565
Ninja Gaiden had an OVA, based loosely on taking place after the second game.

I say loosely because the way it treats Irene is just insulting to the character.
>>
>>3443565
It was considered a good cross-promotion back then. Game people buy the anime, anime people get interested in the game.
During the bubble economy investors were willing to risk money for such things.
They were typically only 30 or 50 minutes in total and often had only light connections to the original.
>>
>>3443848
It's not even consistent with the first two NES games.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.