[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro collecting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: 1471265244264[1].jpg (74KB, 700x782px) Image search: [Google]
1471265244264[1].jpg
74KB, 700x782px
Anyone know where to find retro games for non-ripoff prices?

I'm in London, and have been to a couple of charity shops and one market (Brick Lane) but have found nothing. Planning to go to Nag's Head market later in the week.

Ebay prices are too steep to buy multiple games from.

There was a charity shop near me about 5-6 years ago that was selling boxed SNES, Mega Drive, NES and Master System games for £2 each but shut down moved somewhere else.
>>
>>3430632

Have you been to the one in Streatham? It's no cheaper than the internet though because...well, they've got the internet but it's a solid jumping off point even if it's just to browse. There's one near Walthemstow Central too, just down from Nandos
>>
>>3430640
No, but I'll note these down.

Does anyone remember the Sunday market that used to be held where the Olympic Media Centre is now? Did they relocate or disperse after they got shut down?
>>
I'm not sure what you think non-rip off prices look like. I can tell you right now resale stores will be shit. Charity shops will be picked through every day. Your best bet is to come up with a list of what you want, and keep an eye on ebay. Not any of the "buy it now" bullshit marked up to ridiculous levels, but watch for auctions and try to grab shit for cheap. Even then though, you're still talking being able to nab shit at about 75% the going rate. Beyond that, it's luck of the draw finding the coincidence of circumstances where someone both doesn't know what they're selling, and no one else having snatched it up.
>>
>>3430661
Fucking hipsters are not content with raising just the cost of living are they?

5 years ago retro games still relatively cheap.
>>
Anyone else know of markets and specific charity shops in London, particularly SE and E London?

If I get a good haul, I might drop some steam codes I have lying around (if I can find them.)
>>
>>3430671
>5 years ago retro games still relatively cheap
I replaced my lost childhood copies of Pokemon Gold and Blue for around $6 each a few years ago, having only to replace Gold's battery recently. Now those two games are minimum $40+ everywhere because of fucking Go.
If Pokemon were a hard-to-find game I could understand, but the english version of Red/Blue got like 15million+ copies made not even counting Yellow or G2+, we should be fucking tripping over pokemon carts. I went to my local Goodwill last week and saw Blue and Crystal sitting under their glass for $39.99 ffs, and my only local game shop hasn't ever sold cart-based games since they opened, just current/last gen garbage.
>>
>>3430706
>pokemon blue $39.99

And it blew my mind when cex and cash converters were trying to sell Sonic 2 for £8-15.

It must've annoyed you to no end?
>>
>>3430715
They also had a PS1 in the case with no AV cables for $20, marked up by $10 after some worker plugged a generic power cable into it and set it behind glass.
And yeah, all I can do is shake my head and be glad I got my Blue a few years ago, though I wish I'd snagged up Yellow and Red back then just to have the full G1 set.
>>
>>3430640
>Streatham
Is it next to Streatham Green?
>>
>>3430706
Seen on ebay a gameboy color with all 3 games selling for £104.
>>
>>3430632
Get a flashcart. You're never gonna have a shelf full of shit nobody but other faggots care about unless you open the wallet.
>>
>>3430632
>finding them for cheap

Probably not. The normies that grew up with retro vidya have all graduated high school at least, and their parents have sold all their shit in garage sales 5+years ago. Anyone who has retro games now knows what they're worth
>>
>>3431523
>>3431460
Sure, but going around markets couldn't hurt. I might get lucky.
>>
>>3430632
goodwill stores in middle of nowhere
>>
>>3432078
like where? I'm in the upper midwest
>>
It's pretty bleak trying to find deals out in the wild, but this one time I did get a lucky break when I found a copy of ghoul patrol for 3 bucks at a retro game store. Sold that shit for 150 buck and got me a copy of Megaman X2 and Kirby no Kirakira Kids!
>>
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>3432078
There's goodwill in the UK?
>>
>>3430632
You have to expect to pay high prices for retro games. As time goes on they only get rarer, and thus more expensive. The only ones you can get cheap are shit like the super mario bros/duck hunt combo cart the NES came packaged with because they made assloads of them (walk into any shop that sells NES games and you'll see a stack of them). Even more popular games like mario 64 or super metroid can fetch a pretty penny now. Old carts/discs stop working and get thrown away, and these days the majority of well kept/working games are owned by people who would never get rid of them. It's all about rarity. Every year a few more of them disappear, and eventually those of us with a sizable retro game collection are going to be sitting on a goldmine. I feel bad for future generations who want to get into retro collecting. So I would say you don't have much of a choice.
>>
>>3431460
>I don't understand your hobby so it's a waste of time and money

Sure, pal.
>>
If you actually wanna play games, emulate and everdrives are good. If you just wanna be a hipster fag and waste shit loads of money, go collect.
>>
>>3432827
see>>3432795
>>
>>3432827
>hipster fag

I was liking these games before it suddenly got cool.

Anyway I'm heading to Walthamstow Market and I'll see how it goes.
>>
>>3432795
nigger im on this board and have cases full of old games. boxed consoles on a shelf, 3 crt's and random ephemera from the past. Nobody gives a shit except other faggots online. I sure as fuck wouldn't buy it again today. I just need the rom to load on the hardware because I'm old enough and played on the real shit enough to be bothered by emulation.
>>
>>3432853
>nobody gives a shit except other faggots online

I get that. It looked like you were shitting on collecting.
>>
>>3432827
>hipster

Fuck you, I've never been cool.
>>
>live in south Florida
>should be gold mine cause all the mexicans and flea markets
>dont find shit

pottery
>>
Is there anyplace or program that makes making a checklist of sorts for old games that I can easily search though on my phone. I keep forgetting what I have.
>>
Went Deptford Market, found nothing except ps2 and up.

Stil better than brick lane market.
>>
>>3432442
ESSEX
S
S
E
X
>>
>>3432827
I prefer having a physical copy even if it is fucking expensive
>>
Jesus Christ, 5 charity shops and 2 markets and nothing still below PS2 and the charity shops sell these days are vintage/retro clothes to fucking hipsters.
>>
>>3435372
Do I have to go out of London?
>>
essentially if you dont want to get jewed out of your hard earned britishbux you will have to buy games from some idiot who doesn't know that all these other idiots are charging out the ass for this stuff that should be 5 bucks. By which i mean you have to take advantage of old grandmaws at garage sales or carboot sales or whatever. but even most of them will put rediculouse prices on games nowadays. I think the best thing to happen to retrogaming lately is the Mighty NES Classic Mini Edition, cause hopefully it will satiate the normy scumbags who are hogging up all the games that should be going to proper retro gamers and hopefully it will sell millions of units and people will get sick of retro games and sell off there collections for a mear pittance of what they payed for it and us autistic fatso collector retards can swoop in and hog up all the games for next to nothing!!!! just look what happened to the atari 2600, all the ass holes who collected for it either died of old age or they quit giving a crap 15 years ago when the nostalgia wore off and now you can get a sack full of the old crappy atari JUNK for like 15 bucks altho no one would want the junk lmao
>>
>>3435384
Will affect Sega consoles?
>>
>>3433028
Backloggery. You just put in the names of the games you own, and whether you have beaten them or whatever. It's just a website, so you can of course access it from your phone.
>>
At Walthamstow Market, didn't find anything really but quite charity shops and a game store that quite a few retro item though the prices were inflated.

£8 for Super Hang On is a bit much don't you think?
>>
>>3437952
And there was a CEX with a playable arcade machine.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.