[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The best game to get into SMT ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png (47KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png
47KB, 250x250px
i wanna get into SMT (the main serie not the gazillions spin offs wich I already played)

What's the best game to start with ?

Also I speak Japanese so I don't mind the lack of translations for some games
>>
>>3429314
>Also I speak Japanese

Go play the PS1 version of SMT1.
>>
Nocturne
>>
>>3429314
Start with the beginning, just now there's a thread about the first Megami Tensei if you have any doubts.
>>
DDS was my entry point. Not retro, though.
>>
>>3429314
Strange Journey is really good since it stands alone with a slightly different flavor to the story but it also uses the normal SMT mechanics.
>>
>>3429318
>>3429378
>>3429389

Why are you on the /vr/ board?

OP, are you fucking retarded or something? Start with Megami Tensei. or SMT. Or SMT2. It's not hard.

But i think all of those are pretty shit gameplay-wise, so I would recomend Nocturne too.
>>
Just start with SMT on the PSX or SNES.

After that just play whatever, if you like SMT then this series has no misses. All of them hit the mark.
>>
Persona 2, obliviously.

EP, then IS, then EP again.
>>
>>3429314
Megami Tensei: The Old Testament. That way you'll appreciate the series' origins in a more accessible, yet still retro manner.

Then SMT, if you speak Japanese you'd do well to play the PS1 port (or, in English, the ios version if you have an apple device).
>>
File: 1308190257507.jpg (23KB, 311x336px) Image search: [Google]
1308190257507.jpg
23KB, 311x336px
>>3431658
>The Errors of Their Youth
Oh you Japs
>>
File: MaTIIJapan.png (3MB, 923x1664px) Image search: [Google]
MaTIIJapan.png
3MB, 923x1664px
>>3429314
>>
release order? i'd favor the sufami remake of 1&2 if only for saving and other qol adjustments

>>3429316
>Go play the PS1 version of SMT1.
music is shit though
and some visual changes are kinda weird
>>
>>3431790
That's one of the best covers ever.
>>
First play SMT I and SMT II, so you can see what the series is all about. But you also definitely have to play Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers at some point, because they are too fucking good.
>>
>>3429314
2 is probably the best one to start with. Save 4 for last, veterans of SMT appreciate it far more than non-vets
>>
>>3431658
Persona 2 is my one of my favorite games but I can't agree. Just play IS then EP, there's no need for a confusing first time EP
>>
>playing megami tensei 1
>almost at medusa and my most powerful demon is holy baku
for fuck's sake
>>
>>3431658
>Wants to play SMT
>Recomends Persona
They said SMT, not waifu highschool simulator
>>
>>3436920
>he hasn't played Persona 1 or 2
spotted the newfag holy shit how can you be this underage
>>
You can't go wrong with SMT 1. It's a great game with good atmosphere and some fun dungeon crawling.

Personally I think Nocturne is one of the best titles, however. It really set itself apart with the Press Turn system, extensive fusion and skill inheritance system, and minimalist story (for a jrpg of the time).
Regardless, SMT 1 is a fine starting point. II is a sequel of sorts and has mostly similar mechanics. If you want a more recent game in the style of older SMTs, you might want to try Strange Journey.
>>
>>3436940
Did you know...?

Originally, Persona had a similar tone and style in relation to the Shin Megami Tensei series! Its Personae were based off of Graeco-Roman mythology, as well. I'm sure you knew that, though. You'd have to be an absolute moron to assume something and post it before doing your research...!
>>
>>3436920
Nigga please, Persona 1 is as close to SMT as it gets.
>>
>>3437245
>as close to SMT as it gets
You know, besides actual SMT games
>>
>>3437230
Did you know...? that OP specified no spinoffs?
>>
>>3437245

Not really, Devil Summoner and DS: Soul Hackers are closer to SMT than Persona.
>>
Pretty sad OP played the spin-offs, speaks Japanese, but still can't figure out with SMT to play. It's as if there was an anonymous Japanese board that knows more about that subject too...

>>3439654
But Persona 1 & 2 are closer to SMT than 3 & 4.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.