[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Great Battle" Series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: image.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7KB, 256x224px
So I was at my local game store, browsing the Super Famicom import games, when I saw this game called "Great Battle IV" buried within all the sports games. And it had Ultraman, Masked Rider, and Gundam on the front? I just had to check it out. Needless to say, it's a quite fun run-and-gun game! All the characters play uniquely- and there's 2-player co-op to boot. The soundtrack is catchy as well, and the art style is sharp. The level design is a bit... Strange sometimes, and I can't understand any of the dialogue, but hey, for 7 bucks, I'd say worth. So, anyone know if the rest of the series is worth checking out on SFC? And why randomly have a crossover between Gundam and Ultraman- I mean, one's an anime and the other is live-action. Kind of a weird combo...
>>
Part 1 is stupid.

Parts 2 and 3 are shitty beat'em ups. Trust me, they're shitty. This is coming from a "beat'em up aficionado". By "shitty" I mean mediocre actually.

Parts 4 and 5 are much better
>>
There's also Great Battle Cyber on Famicom. I found it a bit awkward to play.
>>
File: 1338078734570.jpg (365KB, 494x1444px) Image search: [Google]
1338078734570.jpg
365KB, 494x1444px
>>3427598
>And why randomly have a crossover between Gundam and Ultraman- I mean, one's an anime and the other is live-action
Yeah, but they're all SD-ified so it's a lot less jarring. Basically mashing as many different franchises together in a single game is Banpresto's one trick and one they're still pulling to this day.

I found the Great Battle games that I've played to be fairly decent.
>>
>>3427598
It was made by Banpresto, devs of Super Robot Taisen series. They were partially owned by Bandai (later bought out by them completely). In case you didn't know, Bandai is the leading Jap toy company who own licenses to thousands mecha/tokusatsu franchises from Gundam to Ultraman. Needless to say, they love making crazy crossovers to milk their licenses.

If you think this one doesn't make sense, there's also Gundam in Wild West setting, Gundam football, Gundam in Middle Ages OVA and god knows how many other crazy Gundam crossovers.
>>
>>3427598
You are better off asking the guys over at /m/, specifically the /srwg/ thread, they are the most familiar with the Compatti Hero series.
>>
This is gonna be long, so bear with me.

Great Battle is a subset of the greater Compati Hero series. Compati(ble). The first game of the CH series was back in the NES, its name was Heisei Hero Basho. It was a sumo game. Not very good. The second game was a platformer, called SD Hero Soukessen. In a sense, this is where the idea for Great Battle from. The series spans games across almost all consoles you can imagine. It's considered to be the older brother of the Super Robot Wars series, and they crossed over a few times. Anyways, the list:

- Great Battle 1: seems like a test for new technology. It's a pretty interesting game, where you see your character from above, kinda like Zombies Ate my Neighbours.
- Great Battle 2: tried to imitate Final Fight and other beat'em ups. Honestly, it's a pretty bad game. Your characters have almost no range, and abusing stunlock is the only way to progress.
- Great Battle 3: another beat'em up, this time a parody of Knights of the Round. It's better than GB2.
- Great Battle 4: probably the best of those games, it holds its own instead of being a parody of something else. Although you can say it's based on the SNES Power Rangers games.
- Great Battle 5: parody of Sunset Riders and Wild Guns.
- Great Battle Dodgeball 1 and 2 (SNES): play dodgeball with tons of robots/creatures.
- Great Battle 6 (PSX): one of the most unknown games of the series, because it's on the PSX. It's a platformer like 4, but I found it to be a pretty bad game. The kind of models/sprites used in this were sort of a fever during that period of PSX japanese games.
- Great Battle Gaiden (Gameboy = 1, SNES = 2): some weird party games, not serious at all. Tons of minigames.

There's also GB Fullblast and Battle Dodgeball 3 for the PSP. One bit of trivia is that the GB6, Fullblast and Dodgeball 3 don't have Fighter Roa (the red armor dude), because he crossed over to SRW.

If you're looking for the full set, GB2 is usually written as Last Twin Fighter.
>>
About the Compati Hero series, it spans almost all consoles since the NES. There are games with heroes that never got any games with them, and some of them are quite rare. Of note:

- SD Hero Soukessen (NES): where the idea for GB came from. Was translated by someone from /m/.
- Hero Senki (SNES): an early SNES RPG that planted the idea of inter-series crossovers. Look up the main theme on Youtube, it rocks.
- Super Hero Sakusen (PSX): a pretty good crossover that has a lot of obscure heroes.
- Super Hero Generation (PS3): probably the latest of the series (for a while). It uses the same system as the G Gen series (a series of SRPGs with Gundams).
>>
>>3427598

Great Battle IV is MMX
Great Battle V is Wild Guns.

Both great games.

I haven't touched the series past that.
>>
y not emu it and find out?
>>
>>3428064
>Banpresto
>devs of Super Robot Taisen series

Nope. They just published it. Winkysoft is the developer. Most if not all Banpresto games were made by other companies
>>
>>3429297
>Most if not all Banpresto games were made by other companies

This is true. That's why some SRW games (especially nowadays) are so wildly different from others. I think there are about four separate groups that develop SRW, and they generally stick to the same mechanics.
>>
>>3429326

im still waiting for a SRW beat em up or fighting game, where you can play as the pilots, and all of them have their mecha techniques
>>
>>3428971
>and they crossed over a few times
Fighter Roa and his plot it's now part of the OGverse in SRW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei_rIl7eGlY
>>
>>3429385
So what, have Kouji rip his hand off and toss it every time you rocket punch? What's he gonna do for breast fire? This idea is too wacky!
>>
File: 26734_front.jpg (168KB, 500x903px) Image search: [Google]
26734_front.jpg
168KB, 500x903px
>>3429297
>>3429326
Ah, my bad. Never knew about this—I assumed Banpresto was a publisher with in-house studios.

So, Banpresto was a kind of a sub-label for Bandai, or not? I see the latter also published quite a lot of games for SFC.

>>3429385
The closest you will get is OG Saga for DS—pretty underrated game. Same engine as Project X Zone/Namco X Capcom.
>>
File: gundampewpew.png (23KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
gundampewpew.png
23KB, 640x400px
This is the official /vr/ /m/ thread now right?
Any of the retro gundam games worth checking out?
>>
>>3429385
There was the original characters only Infinite Battle by BB Studio's for the PS3.

It was a total kusoge.

>>3429297
>>3430470
Not quite, for one thing Winkysoft went bankrupt recently they're a defunct company and they only made the extremely old Classic series SRW's and most recently the revived Lord of the Elemental: Masoukishin series. For years they had been effectively a zombie company.

Banpresto have always existed as a publisher but as a Bamco in house developer do exist but only did so upon the start of the Alpha series in the PSX era and have only the Alpha and Z series to their name. Though at some point a few years back they were dismantle and re-absorbed into Bamco and are now known as B.B.Studios. They're generally regarded as a pretty shitty dev these days.

Most of the SRW/Compatti Hero and what not related umbrella of games are made by a few companies, a quick rundown of a few but not all.

TOSE - The most famous of the companies, infamous in the industry as total ghostwriter devs who have made multiple highly rated games but never appear in the credits. They are responsible for the likes of 64, Impact, MX and the highly regarded OG/OGs series. Look up this company they have a very interesting history.

AL - Another of the main SRW devs they've been responsible for the likes of GC and almost all the Nintendo portable SRW games and are generally regarded also quite consistent.

Sazanami - A mobage dev who is responsible for XO, NEO, Operation Extend. Mainly deal with 3D (Should be noted but even modern SRW games are traditionally done with 2D sprites) but OE is also considered one of the worst mainline SRW's ever made.

M3 - Virtually nothing is known about these guys other than they have some staff from the original Etrian Odyssey team and that they made the Lost Heroes games which are part of the Compatti Heroes umbrella and probably the most modern spiritual successor.
>>
>>3430567
>There was the original characters only Infinite Battle by BB Studio's for the PS3.
>It was a total kusoge.

I bought it for Dark Prison. Honestly, though, it was cool to see the mechs in non-SD form.
>>
>>3429385
>>3430470
>>3430567

lets see

>Duo gets the moveset from Endless duel and GBA 2, aka the most cheese and OP-est gundam in both games, and Yun Easter Eggs from SF, Same goes to Triton Bloom since he's Yang
>Domon playing like Hayato in MVC 2
>Asuka Langley gets the Athena Asamiya cheese with Rebuild Eva-02 moveset
>Char playing like Omega Rugal
>Amuro Ryu spamming neotype hadoukens

10/10 would buy it
>>
>>3430574
>I bought it for Dark Prison.
That was the only reason anyone bought it, because otherwise you couldn't get Dark Prison standalone for another half a year and it would've also cost twice as much.
>>
Pretty much echoing what others are saying here; 4 and 5 are the ones to play.
>>
>>3430494
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel. As a fighting game fan, this might be THE most advanced fighter on SNES, definitely cutting edge for its time and even today.

>>3430567
Thanks, very interesting read. I kinda always wondered about SRW, but was really scared by the insane amounts of information these games contain/hundreds of series they refer to. Also, learning about SRW is made harder by the fact that, like you said, not much is known about some of these devs, and on the "surface" it's hard for an outsider like myself to even grasp who makes SRW games—much like "developed by Nintendo" leaves a lot to one's imagination.
>>
>>3430567
One thing of note is that Winkysoft started making games back in the PC-88 days.
>>
>>3431574
Goddamn, Endless Duel was so good! That was the first SFC game I imported, I just had to have it when I discovered its existence...
>>
>>3432428
It was. I myself had no idea it existed. Then one day some dude showed it to me on his PSP. I was blown away.

What's cool is that it draws on both Darkstalkers-style chain combos and EX moves, while allowing beating the opponent on the ground like in Tekken. All of this was pretty new in fighters back in 1996. Moreover—the original features added by the creators are VERY interesting, in particular I loved that you could block while dashing and travel really fast using boosters. The vulcan gun is also a useful tool.

It's more or less balanced, but it should be noted there are infinite combos in the game. And while Epyon is the boss character, he's still pretty damn broken. Still, I think it's an amazing game for SNES. It came out very late in the life cycle of the console, but IMO it's much more fun than Street Fighter Alpha 2 and all other fighters on the system.
>>
>>3432804
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jri18RJbraQ
>>
Isnt one of them a gallery shooter? Play that one.
>>
>>3435363
Great Battle 5. A few stages are just like Wild Guns, but most of them are like Sunset Riders.
>>
>>3431574
>>3432428
>>3432812

all gundam fighting games ends up in

>for fucks sake, ban Deathscythe from championships, that asshole is too op
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfNjTnkFjYM
>>
>>3435530
Yeah, that combo is very obvious. I guess if people would dig deeper, they'd find plenty other holes in the game. But, for an anime game on SNES, it's still surprisingly deep and competitive.
>>
>>3435546
in GBA 2 Deathscythe was the most op Gundam

in SRW he is the gundam with the most OP systems and Melee, losing only to Domon's crew and UC

in SRWAlpha and Z he's immune to radar, detection, missiles and it has the most OP melee and systems ingame

in a future SRW game, he will receive a Reaper form and Warlock Dual Scythes
>>
>>3435556
Well, he looks very cool so I'll allow that
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.