[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Happy Birthday Sega Genesis!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 16

File: Eat Your Damn Cake.jpg (53KB, 721x405px) Image search: [Google]
Eat Your Damn Cake.jpg
53KB, 721x405px
Happy Birthday to the SEGA Genesis! Known as the Mega Drive in other parts of the world, the 16-bit console was released as the Sega Genesis in North America on August 14, 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb6hNSdmWc

Please post your favorite games, memories and videos of this awesome 16-bit console

GENESIS DOES!
>>
File: Rare Sega Retailer Catalog.jpg (379KB, 1010x1292px) Image search: [Google]
Rare Sega Retailer Catalog.jpg
379KB, 1010x1292px
Sega is ready for the 90's with the Sega Genesis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EysucdmNbWo

This video was actually a promotional tape sent out to retail buyers and store owners.
>>
File: What Nintendon't.jpg (108KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
What Nintendon't.jpg
108KB, 800x530px
>GENESIS DOES!

No one trolled harder than Sega under former CEO Tom Kalinske.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsyIu88Smf8
>>
File: Sonic2-cover.jpg (46KB, 300x426px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic2-cover.jpg
46KB, 300x426px
Sonic 2 was definitely the killer app of the Sega Genesis, selling more units than any other game on the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8peXHWbnS8
>>
File: Phantasy-Star-II.jpg (1MB, 907x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy-Star-II.jpg
1MB, 907x1260px
The Genesis was also home to one of the best classic RPG series of all time, Phantasy Star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYI4tZp-SEU
>>
POST MORE SANIC
>>
>>3426743

wasn't the "genesis does" campaign done by the person before Kalinske joined?

Anyway, I dunno if it was trolling, mentioning your competitor on your ads isn't a very bright idea.

Anyway, happy birthday to one of the best consoles ever made, truly god-tier.
>>
>>3426810

No that was all Kalinske
>>
>>3426810
Michael Katz was the CEO of Sega of America at the time the Genesis Does campaign was created
>>3426915
See above. Also, Kalinske wasn't in charge of marketing it was Al Nilsen idort.
>>
>>3426767
nei chan

Remember how disappointed I was at PSIV after slogging through first three.
>>
File: 300 hours.png (146KB, 437x171px) Image search: [Google]
300 hours.png
146KB, 437x171px
Genesis does!

I'd recommend checking out a few issues of the Sega Visions mag archived online. I'm a Sega kid, but that rag was pretty bad. They outright lie at several points, like pic related, and about half the early issues are just spent trashing Nintendo. Still nostalgic as hell to relive those early Sega years though.
>>
>>3426982
OP would know this if he actually read the descriptions in those videos
>>
>>3427025
>300 hours

That company had no shame.
>>
File: what.png (26KB, 100x150px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
26KB, 100x150px
>>3426987
>disappointed by the greatest 16-bit JRPG of all time
>>
File: Crysis_Ps2.jpg (41KB, 436x640px) Image search: [Google]
Crysis_Ps2.jpg
41KB, 436x640px
Red Zone.
>>
>N64 coming out in a year
>7th x-mas, receive Genesis2
>comes with 6pak, inherit a dozen games from older cousin
>get N64 next xmas but wind up playing both systems pretty equally through childhood
I have a few youngfag friends who like to come over and game, and I love tossing a controller at them and throwing them right into Streets of Rage, Golden Ax, or anything else that they've never experienced before
>>
File: 00intro.gif (39KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
00intro.gif
39KB, 320x224px
My fav megadrive game and the reason why i bought one time and time again.
>>
>>3427392
What game is that anon?
>>
File: ristar.jpg (259KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ristar.jpg
259KB, 714x1000px
Imo this is the most beautiful game on Genny. The sprites, aesthesic, colors...everything is amazing.

>>3427405
Not him, but it's Musha Aleste. It's my second favorite Mega Drive gamer after Ristar.
>>
>>3426731
Fuck that shit, console thought it was better than me. Always ripping on me for owning the superior Famicon system and the SuFami after it. Fuck their shit with those constant taunts. Guess what faggots, WE WON, you lose. Faggits. Happy birthday congratulations on being fucking dead.
>>
>>3427486

Sega of Japan never did any gimmicky "genesis does" ad campaign to trash the competition.

In fact, Sega fans in Japan are more anti-Sony, they're fine with Nintendo.
>>
File: arino.genesis.jpg (205KB, 840x1400px) Image search: [Google]
arino.genesis.jpg
205KB, 840x1400px
>>3427490
>>
>>3427503

Yeah, Kibe is a good example of a japanese Segaboy. He's a huge Sega nerd but he isn't anti-Nintendo like the western Segafags are.
>>
>>3427490
Those "gimmicky" campaigns are the reason the Megadrive had the most market share in north america up until 95' and if SoJ listened to SoA we'd still have a SEGA in the console business.
SEGA fans should be anti-japan, not anti-Sony or anti-Nintendo, because that country retarded ethics and business practices made it fail.
>>
>>3427551
>Those "gimmicky" campaigns are the reason the Megadrive had the most market share in north america up until 95'

No, it was the decision to lower the price of the console and bundle it with Sonic 1. All the "genesis deos" campaign did was create memes for the future, nothing more.

>SEGA fans should be anti-japan
What
>because that country retarded ethics and business practices made it fail.
What retarded ethics? Saturn was pretty successful in Japan and Asia, unlike in the west.
>>
>>3427025
Things have not changed at all
>>
>>3427558
>Saturn was pretty successful in Japan and Asia, unlike in the west.
Because Japan is as big of a market as North America right?
>>
>>3427558
>What retarded ethics?
Being completely deaf to SoA suggestions for starters, like rejecting the ideas to collaborate with Sony for a CD based console or with a company that worked on the N64 for a "next-gen" console.
They only wanted to beat the PC-engine and SNES in Japan without considering all the money to be made in America and Europe.
>>
>>3427564

and Asia.

>>3427567

I don't believe everything Kalinske say, sorry.
>>
>>3427569
>I don't believe everything Kalinske say, sorry.
Yeah I'm sure he lied and that's why the brilliant Japanese management brought the company to such heights and succe-
Oh wait no they launched consoles like it was going out of fashion, fucked up lineup after lineup and thought the Dreamcast could survive on Arcade ports in the year 2000, ultimately getting absorbed by a pachinko maker.
Making the ultimate otaku machine wasn't worth it.
>>
>>3427596
I'm not saying kalinske is a liar, just that I don't believe everything he says, especially how he blames everything to the japanese.
He probably believes his bullshit, but I don't.
>>
>>3427603
>especially how he blames everything to the japanese
Well it's not like we're not here 20 years later witnessing what happened to SEGA under their guidance.
Milking Sonic for the Western autistic fanbase and being a publisher for porting games to Steam is pretty ironic all things considered.
>>
>>3427606

Yet yakuza is one of the most profitable video game franchises in Japan.

I don't know, there's a lot of things to have into consideration, it's not a matter of blaming SoJ.
I mean, Sega is SoJ, first and foremost. It's stupid to blame the same guys who made Sega great.

I've even seen people here defend Stolar, so whatever.
>>
Genesis does!
>>
What are you playing to celebrate the occasion? Revenge of Shinobi over here. I never really played the game until recently and I'm upset I never gave it a chance. Action platformers are one of my favorite genres and this is a pretty damn good one so far.

Have had this stuck in my head a lot lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnK6P3PTaNU
>>
File: 1392869394312.jpg (79KB, 638x447px) Image search: [Google]
1392869394312.jpg
79KB, 638x447px
>>3427486
>huge Nintendo fanboy being this mad about what's basically your average 90's ad campaign

Honestly I like both companies for the experiences they've provided, but even I think you're taking things a bit too seriously.
>>
>>3426731
Is that Pat the NES Punk's cake?
>>
File: IMAG0338.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0338.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>3427905
>revenge of Shinobi
Was playing this for the first time in years yesterday actually. Some parts were better than I remembered and some(like pic related) were worse. Fuck that stage but mostly fuck that particular jump.
>>
>>3426731
The Sonic guys made a nice tribute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqf_KbW4O0A
>>
>>3428556
Haven't hit there yet. Got fucked by spiderman through three continues and almost threw my arcade stick.
>>
>>3426738
>phantasy star 2
>hundreds of hours of gameplay

That sounds stupid and all at first, but think about it...anyone here who's played through PS2 more than once or twice...they KNEW you would replay it over the years, even to this day. There's your 100+ hours.
>>
>>3427596
>Making the ultimate otaku machine wasn't worth it.
Sega made PC Engine??
>>
File: 1461991377566.jpg (60KB, 736x493px) Image search: [Google]
1461991377566.jpg
60KB, 736x493px
>>3426743
And then Nintendo joined in.
>>
>>3427490
SEGA didn't shit on Nintendo in Europe either and the Mega Drive did perfectly fine there. But that's probably because the Master System was more popular than the NES over there anyway.
>>
>>3426731
lol shit tier console with no good exclusives, and the best known series made for literal autists.
>>
>>3433217
That's the Super Nintendo
>>
File: greatbait.jpg (110KB, 749x613px) Image search: [Google]
greatbait.jpg
110KB, 749x613px
>>3433217
(You)
>>
>>3433119
>sega owners dream on
>dreamcast
Nintendo knew...
>>
File: 29414630.jpg (612KB, 788x1000px) Image search: [Google]
29414630.jpg
612KB, 788x1000px
>>3435772

Speaking of fishy posts, the Darius II port on the Genesis happens to be my favorite version of the game. Doesn't really change all that much, but the fact that your Silver Hawk isn't grossly out of scale with the basic stage enemies does make shooting them down A LOT less of a pain in the ass...
>>
>>3433217
>with no good exclusives
are you retarded?
>>
>>3428556
Finally beat Spidey and Godzilla and all the rest last night. You guys weren't kidding about the harbor. It's the only part of the game that feels legitimately unfair. I can't get that jump consistently for shit and the knockback deaths are plentiful. At least in Chinatown missing the tough jump doesn't result in instant soggy ninja. Still a great game, though.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.