[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atari 2600

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 1.jpg (775KB, 1280x1753px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
775KB, 1280x1753px
There's no 2600 thread. That ain't right.

For some reason /vr/ rarely talks about this console. It's one of the most influential and popular retro consoles yet gets ignored here.
>>
>>3425801
I don't inow much about it. What's the best games?

Does it have well known ports?
>>
>>3425801
That Superman spine is killin' me
>>
>>3425801
I was born in 88, but my older half-sibling's 2600 was my first console, and only console for a long time. Really shaped me as a gamer. Centipede, Space Invaders, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc. I will always love the 2600.
>>
>>3425823
Pitfall II is pretty good as far as 2600 games go.
>>
>>3425801
Why would you want to revere a console that single-handedly crashed the American video game market in 1983 due to all the utter garbage that was being released for it?

It's also responsible for the fact that the Amiga never really had a chance to become popular there, as Americans simply didn't trust a home computer again to be a viable entertainment system until some ten years later when Doom came out.
>>
>>3425801
Vr barely fucks w anything older than the genesis. A few posters like nes or master system
>>
>>3425865

That's not the consoles fault. All popular consoles get shovelware. The 2600 just had a lot. That doesn't make the good games worse.
>>
File: turmoil.png (1KB, 640x372px) Image search: [Google]
turmoil.png
1KB, 640x372px
Who /turmoil/ here?

Fucking incredible game. Like inside-out Tempest.
>>
>>3425873
Make a separate /vrr/ board for pre-1985 stuff. Oh wait, hardly anyone would post there.
>>
>>3425890
>Oh wait, hardly anyone would post there.
That's a good thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I have no console to play these on, really wanna mod my flashback2 to accept carts but unsure where to get the adapter piece, other than an actual 2600
>>
My boss gave me a Sears Telegames atari with around 20 boxed games
Its fun for 5 minute bursts if you're high or drunk
>>
My first and only console as a kid was a 2600 plug-in-and-play. Many hours went into that thing, the Adventure dragons scared me shitless.
>>
File: 635957065775715688-art-atari.jpg (110KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
635957065775715688-art-atari.jpg
110KB, 534x712px
Anyone else picking this up? I never actually played a real Atari console, but I always did admired the boxart they always put.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
My top 3:

Miner 2049er

Orc Attack

Kaboom
>>
>>3425914
Best electronics should have the hardware for that. I've purchased various Atari bits from them.
>>
>>3426043
no need, I have the original boxes/carts so I can just look at those

they do have great art though, really put the effort into helping you imagine what the game might really be beyond what drew to the screen.
>>
>>3425865
>single-handedly crashed the American video game market in 1983
But that's wrong. The crash happened because so many game companies tried to emulate the success of Activision but didn't care about any kind of quality control, even though there were just as many good games that came out in 1982-1983 as bad ones. The average consumer just had no way of knowing was good or not, and after 2600 Pac-man and ET (which were probably some of the only games a large percentage of 2600 owners had) there wasn't any confidence in the market.
>>
>>3426043
>foreward by Ernest Cline
Why is this motherfucker suddenly showing up in everything Atari related
>>
>>3426085
Looks like they have what I need, thanks anon.
>>
>>3426092
That would still have worked out with reviews, recommendations and the like.
The problem was that too many companies hastily pulled out and sold their remaining stock at a bargain which killed the remaining capital.
>>
File: secret_quest_red_cart_2.jpg (109KB, 600x843px) Image search: [Google]
secret_quest_red_cart_2.jpg
109KB, 600x843px
Secret Quest is the most underrated Atari game and everyone should go play it right now.
>>
>>3426043
is it already available? where?
>>
River Raid is the GOAT 2600 game.
>>
I love all those demake homebrews people make like the Sonic and Mario ones.
>>
>>3426104
Because
>muh 80's nostalgia novel
>>3426670
It's coming out next month.
>>
>tfw no good 2600 plug 'n play
>>
>>3426247

Secret Quest is the Terranigma of 2600 games.
>>
Pitfall, Kaboom, and Space invaders are the best
>>
Why doesn't this board like discussing this console? For a retro board they sure only talk about post-NES consoles
>>
File: 1470521217856.jpg (124KB, 400x553px) Image search: [Google]
1470521217856.jpg
124KB, 400x553px
Interested in atari 2600 games but it and its library is very unknown to me. Are there any games not focused on high scores? I know that most games on the system focus on them but they're not something I find interesting.
>>
File: MontezumasRevenge_Level1.png (58KB, 1001x514px) Image search: [Google]
MontezumasRevenge_Level1.png
58KB, 1001x514px
Montezuma's Revenge is one of the best 2600 games, but it's also kind of rare.
>>
>>3429601
But it's lacking compared to the other ports, particularly the SMS one.
>>
>>3429337
More like post-SNES consoles. It's really pathetic that all people want to talk about is the generation when everything changed for the worse and has more in common with modern gaming than classic gaming. I say this every time but I 100% believe it: /vr/ should be pre-1995. Retro isn't about a date, it's about an era of gaming that wasn't dominated by style over substance.
>>
>>3430073
May I ask why you feel that way? I definitely feel there was a change between gen 4 and gen 5 but the way you put it is quite strong.
>>
>>3430104
Gaming really tried to court non-gamers starting with the PS/N64 generation and did it with games that appealed more to people who wanted to "experience" games rather than play them. It definitely existed before and there were still some good games afterwards but I think that was a huge turning point in games going toward a very style-over-substance feel.
>>
>>3430130
Inteteresting. Personally I feel like gen 5 and gen 6 was the "turning point". In gen 5 and especially gen 6 gaming as a industry really grew for better or for worst. Games were still made mostly with gameplay in mind, in my opinion, but as budgets grew companies started to grow more willing to due whatever to turn a profit. Personally I feel like gen 7 was the true change of gaming, it was really when gaming became something different from just only a few years prior. Personally as much as I like gen 6 /vr/ is fine as is, what is allowed now is what should be allowed always.
>>
>>3428426
Does that mean adventure is illusion of gaia?
>>
>>3425823
You serious kiddo? At least half of its library were ports, some of them actually quite good. I actually prefer Berzerk, Missile Command, and Battlezone on the VCS over the arcade.
>>
>>3426247
It's part Legend of Zelda, part Alien Syndrome. Surprisingly well executed on the ol' 2600.
>>3430298
I see what you did there. Adventure was the primary influence of Legend of Zelda which itself was a bit of a forerunner to the Soul Blazer series, so there is that.
>>
>>3425823
I'd recommend seaquest, pitfall and pitfall 2, pressure cooker, river raid, and berzerk
>>
>>3425801
It's not talked about because it's shit. If you want arcade titles from the era, you're better off just emulating them straight away instead of utilizing the subpar 2600.
>>
>>3426092
>T-that's wrong g-guys!
>The 2600 h-had just as many good games as b-bad!
Revisionist history isn't going to change anything, champ. Atari and co. where crapping out fetid turds at a breakneck pace and they thankfully got wrecked.
>>
>>3430442
>Adventure was a primary influence of LoZ
Source? Because you smell like bullshit.
>>
>>3430780
There is no source for his claim, it's literally an Atari cuck grasping at straws for some connection to a legacy title. Nintendo developed SMB and Zelda concurrently. Since Mario was a linear game, Miyamoto wanted to go in the opposite direction with Zelda. The sense of adventure came from Miyamoto's memories as a child, hiking in the wilderness around Kyoto, though I wouldn't put it past an Ataricuck to try and take credit for that as well. Atari's Adventure is little more than blocks smashing into each other, a trite, boring mess of a game.
>>
>>3430774
Nah, companies like Apollo and Mythicon are what crashed the market with their flood of crap games (although even they had a handful of decent ones). After Activision blew up, the market got saturated and there wasn't any way to know if a game was good other than word of mouth. The library of the 2600 doubled in 82 then doubled again in 83. Combine this with the missteps Atari had with pac man and ET (which were entirely the fault of the executives at Atari eschewing quality for the sake of their bottom line) and people lost confidence in the console market. Most of the games Atari put out were the best on the console next to Activision, the ones that weren't have corporate meddling to blame for their lack of quality.

but there's no point in debating this since your only argument is "LOL ATARI SUCKED" despite it being very successful initially and still having a strong following/homebrew scene to this day
>>
None of the games are fun for any longer than ten minutes.
>>
>>3430774

If anything is revisionist history, it's the "Atari killed video games and Nintendo saved it" narrative that every self-described gamer knows by heart.
>>
>>3432425

Same with most arcade games
>>
>>3432425
Plenty of them are, but you have to put in work to get good at them. They're very singular in their focus.
>>
>>3432425
Because they're not your kind of games. I'm sure if you listed your favorite games, at least one of them would be something I wouldn't want to play for more than ten minutes. That doesn't make it a lesser game.
>>
>>3429601

I own the sequel on Game Boy. I got it when I brought my GBC. I don't like it. It's hard and confusing
>>
2600 is just too dated for me. I think the only game that interests me is Pitfall, tried it a couple times before and didn't really appreciate it but I might give it another shot.
>>
>these plebs haven't played Missile Command or
Yar's Revenge on an original CRT

I wonder if I still have my 2600 roms from the 90s somewhere
>>
>>3426676
I agree with this.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.