[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: pixelperfect.jpg (56KB, 776x599px) Image search: [Google]
pixelperfect.jpg
56KB, 776x599px
/g/ are cunts and well /v/ is useless.

I am moving and will have no space for a retro room. research led me to crt_emudriver and atom-15 for the old 4,5,6xxx video cards.

Is this a decent emulator build?
APU to a monitor I have laying around, 6450 fashed and hooked up to a crt tv
xfire them for some pc games.

Hdmi to ypbpr?
or
VGA to ypbpr?
>>
>/g/ are cunts and well /v/ is useless.

You know the definition of madness, right?
>>
>>3425780
Does it involve cunts?
>>
>>3425780
>You know the definition of madness, right?
Isometric puzzle game where you roll a marble through a maze.

not very helpful.
>>
What all do you want to emulate?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>3425820
This is the big question. If you're talking 8 or 16 bit console emulation, just get an old Wii, letterbomb it, and install some emulators. Mednafen has doublestrike output, which looks great on a CRT.
>>
>>3425820
Mame, all 3rd and 4th gen and ps1, oldeer pc games
>>
File: DSCN0472.jpg (457KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0472.jpg
457KB, 1600x1200px
>>3425826
I already have one and all the actual consoles, I am just looking to consolidate. I am wanting an all in one hd streaming, shitty steam game and emulation in a single box.
>>
I don't think the apu would be that useful considering you're still putting a dedicated card in.
I would personally go with a Sandy Bridge+ i3 but a cheaper a8 or a10 Kaveri AMD chip would do nice. You didn't mention a budget so I'm going what you've posted.
You should definitely check out if you can find anything refurbished or second hand. It would be a shame to start with a weak cpu as that'll do most of the work and it'll be harder to replace/upgrade down the line.
>>
>>3425769
>APU
dont take my word for it, but APU are utter shit, arent they are meant as bugdet hybrid for setups that you dont intend on pluggin a gpu into?

i dont know about this A6-6400k

but i made the terrible mistake of getting some +- 1.5GHz amd Apu laptop and the little shit can barely process javascript while having one tab open and no other program running. fuck, my 1ghz laptop from around 2005 with 1gbram outperforms this shit with 4gb ram, dunno why the assembler even chose 4gbram, just to fool you into thinking its a computer instead of a fucking x86 "calculator"

well, even if i am mistaken about desktop APUs, the fact that you're getting a GPU is reduntant, either get a CPU + GPU or an APU.

which brings me to my final question, arent' GPU (and therefore APU) useless in emulation? the consoles trigono api have little to nothing in common with your modern PC videocard so its your CPU that will handle everything.

so what matters is the most GHz CPU you can have, i just wonder if multicores are taken advantage of by emulators since you're emulation several types of console chips in paralel
>>
File: images-45.jpg (8KB, 200x251px) Image search: [Google]
images-45.jpg
8KB, 200x251px
>>3425789
Good one.
>>
>arent' GPU (and therefore APU) useless in emulation?
Depeneds on the type of emulation. Proper software emulation is done entirely by the CPU but it can be resource intensive, particularly for high resolutions, so there are emulators that use 3D acceleration.
Generally iGPU aren't suited for contemporary games but I haven't had any trouble with retro games.

>so what matters is the most GHz CPU you can have, i just wonder if multicores are taken advantage of by emulators
For most emulators single thread performance is the most vital. intel has some advantage over AMD there but a decent desktop CPU should generally do the trick unless you want Retroarch Beetle running at 4x resolution.
>>
>>3425990
>APU are utter shit
Nah, your APU is utter shit, and I can prove it because I have the same shitty 1.5GHz (actually 1.47GHz) AMD APU (AMD A4-5000) laptop from Acer which sucks and got a fucked up keyboard like 6 months after buying it, but mine had 6GB instead of 4.

OP, if you want to use an APU, that's fine, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE AN A10, NOT A6, there's no reason to use an A6 except you're really that poor, or use an Intel Pentium CPU, or whatever, BUT NOT FUCKING A6/A4/A8.

Also, why the need to convert it to YPbPr? Get an CRT monitor and use the VGA port. But if you need yo convert it, I'd say HDMI to YPbPr, since it's digital->analog, compared to VGA which would make it analog->analog
>>
>>3426239
>OP, if you want to use an APU, that's fine, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE AN A10, NOT A6, there's no reason to use an A6 except you're really that poor, or use an Intel Pentium CPU
wait pentium?

so whats the deal with this A-series, is the clock time shared between graphical and general functions? is it AMD equivalent of intel Atom? but up to 3ghz ?
and how is the A10 different? isnt it better to get an AMD FX of similar price?
>>
>>3425769
APU is shit
>>
>>3426239
>Get an CRT monitor
>an
are you stupid?
>I'd say HDMI to YPbPr, since it's digital->analog, compared to VGA which would make it analog->analog
why in the fuck is analog to analog bad? what the actual fuck makes you think its better to get a DAC.
>A10
expensive as fuck and emulation only uses like 2 cores so go with a simple i3
>why go ypbpr
his tv accepts ypbpr...
>use an Intel Pentium CPU
>>
Raspberry Pi can emulate stuff up to PSX/N64. Didn't notice any lag on PSX but Mario 64 sometimes dropped fpses on snowy areas
>>
This. My shity work pc has one and craps out if i open like 5 tabs. Even my phone can handle like 200 no issue
>>
>ITT: OP actually had it right for one and everyone confuses him

You're absolutely right on the money. Emulation is done 99% by the cpu, the graphics card is relatively unimportant other than being compatible with crt_emudriver. You just need to know a little more about that.

Crt emudriver basically just pushes the frequency of the analog rgb signal referred to as "vga" down into "standard definition" frequencies like what retro games put out. From there you can use a hardware transcoder like the scart-to-yuv to change over to YPbPr with no loss or lag if you want to use a YPbPr component display or you could get a an arcade or pro monitor that already comes with RGB (I'm assuming you're an American with limited to zero access to scart displays)

That's the info you needed. The rest of this discussion a shit.
>>
File: 1466759969568.jpg (324KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466759969568.jpg
324KB, 720x960px
>>3428305
This. RETROPIE bitch
>>
>>3428336
>everyone confuses him
>Emulation is done 99% by the cpu
which is why a few said forget about APU, get either an AMD FX, intel i5 or at least AMD A10 instead of A6

>YPbPr .. hardware transcoder .. no loss or lag ... arcade monitor ... RGB
now i dont know much about this things, but seriouly, what's the difference a regular computer CRT that already comes with VGA input and there are tons being thrown out daily to a special kind of TV that isnt so easy to find?

i understand going thru all those hops if you're making a cabinet, or using a console already, but its emulation on x86 ibmpc that already outputs VGA, with tons of cables with perfect image fidelity and all sort of lenghts.
>>
File: DSCN0030.jpg (459KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0030.jpg
459KB, 1600x1200px
>>3426239
>FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE AN A10, NOT A6
A RPi can handle emulation, an A6 will do fine.
>why the need to convert it to YPbPr? Get an CRT monitor and use the VGA port.
I want 240p to my Trinitron. Component is the best fidelity input it has.

>>3428761
I will be hooking it up to an old trinitron consumer tv and a 42" LED tv.

A6 should be able to handle everything and the iGP will output to my 1080 pc monitor or hdtv. 6450 gets flashed and outputs via VGA>YPbPr to a sd crt tv.
can xfire the a6 and 6450 for a boost in some pc games.

I don't play much in the way of modern games and already have the equipment to do so. I just want a cheapish box that can do hdtv streaming, emulation and a few pc games. I am not a fan of RPi or linux and I am not going that route.
>>
>>3429148
>the iGP will output to my 1080 pc monitor or hdtv. 6450 gets flashed and outputs via VGA>YPbPr to a sd crt tv.
I really doubt that they're gonna get along.
>>
>>3430726
which? apu in a mobo with hdmi will output hdmi.

6450 can use either vga or hdmi to ypbpr component

a6 6400 and 6450 is one of amd's recommended pairings for dual graphics (hybrid xfire) not sure if I'll have to flash oem bios to use xfire but everything else should work fine.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.