[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a thread about this beautiful beast? The XE never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Atari_XE_Game_System.jpg (28KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
Atari_XE_Game_System.jpg
28KB, 640x368px
Can we have a thread about this beautiful beast? The XE never got the love it deserved.
>>
>>3425561

maybe because it didnt deserve any.. all this thing was, was a glorified 800Xl made into a "gaming" computer
>>
What is this Fisher Price shit?
>>
>>3425972
It's mad cute :3
>>
>>3425902
How is that a bad thing? It has an awesome game library.
>>
Cheap worthless piece of shit peddling ridiculously outdated hardware. Fuck you, Jack Tramiel.
>>
>>3425561
Just picked one of these up, along with a MyIDE 2. Tips, tricks, suggestions? I do have a happy modded 1040 as well, but no actual disk software.
>>
>>3426148
All questions go in here.

>>3409495
>>
>>3426154
But this thing was marketed as a console. That was its whole shtick, it was trying to compete with the NES.
>>
Does anyone know if PAL carts for the XE are optimized or if they just have NTSC ROM images on them like a lot of NES games do? I'd like to get some more XE games and a lot of the European releases appear to be cheaper.
>>
File: maverick 2.jpg (50KB, 620x550px) Image search: [Google]
maverick 2.jpg
50KB, 620x550px
>>3425561
I dunno, would it emulate well on my old raspberry pi with a rather tiny CRT screen?
>>
>>3426019
I admit it's cute but it doesn't really say "serious gaming machine" to me.
>>
>>3426673
Yeah, bug hunt was packed in pretty much just so They could include the light gun. I'm sure seeing both the gun and Atari on the box swayed at least a handful of parents from getting their kids an NES because MADE IN THE USA NO SON OF MINE IS GONNA PLAY WITH SOME JAP MACHINE WE BUY AMERICAN
>>
>>3426105
You are in /vr/ sir, if you like something I don't, you can fuck off.
>>
>>3426569
Probably quite well, it's pretty easy to emulate.
>>
File: necromancer_2.png (3KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer_2.png
3KB, 336x240px
Motherfucking NECROMANCER

seriously what even is this game, it's crazy
>>
Why did Atari thought the best game to compete with Nintendo was to release several consoles ans computers at the same period of time?
>>
>>3430105
They launched the xegs a year after the 7800, which had failed to find any kind of footing in the console market. I guess they figured putting out a console that was backwards compatible with their line of computer games would be more appealing to people than what was essentially a 2600 with better graphics and memory. Plus the added "it's a computer, not just a game console" factor sold a few consoles I'm sure. It only got about 30 or so games made specifically for it, and even then barely any of them were exclusive to it. Still, looking at the console as a way to play the Atari 8 bit family library it's actually a really competent and convenient solution, especially if you get a flashcart for it since there's so many great games that were only released on floppy disks and cassette tapes.
>>
>>3430295
That's true, but almost all of the Japanese arcade devs licensed their games to Atari who developed the ports for their hardware in-house. They almost all did this with the exception of Sega. Konami and Nintendo licensed out to other American studios (namely Parker brothers and coleco on 2600) but on the 8 bit family Atari handled most of the ports themselves.
>>
File: cart_DonkeyKong.jpg (42KB, 400x481px) Image search: [Google]
cart_DonkeyKong.jpg
42KB, 400x481px
>>3430331
>>3430334
Read my post again. I'm not denying that the games exist, I'm saying they were the games on those cartridges were not programmed by Nintendo and Namco and the like. Atari developed those specific ports.

>>3430329
Gyruss was Parker Brothers, but Pooyan is a weird exception. Around 1981 Konami actually did publish and develop a couple 2600 games, Pooyan being one. The only other one they did that I recall is Strategy X, after that they licensed out to Coleco (Roc n Rope, Time Pilot) and Parker Bros (Tutankham, Frogger, Super Cobra)
>>
>>3430367
Well with the 2600 pacman they decided to go ahead and release a prototype and call it a finished game. Ms pacman and Jr pacman are far more competent and show that the 2600 was very capable of handling pacman, the suits at Atari just didn't want to bother investing the time and figured the prototype was good enough. Seeing dollar signs will do that.

And yeah, the 400/800 port was much more playable.
>>
File: videocart.jpg (93KB, 800x785px) Image search: [Google]
videocart.jpg
93KB, 800x785px
I have one of those with many multicarts, its pretty cool.

http://www.retrogames.cl/vcturbosoft.html
>>
>>3432393
Holy crap, this is incredible. I had no clue this thing existed, what a ridiculous and beautiful piece of technology. I've never heard of a VHS tape being used for data storage like that.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.