[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it would be possible to make a collaborativ rpg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

Do you think it would be possible to make a collaborativ rpg here in vr? I like these sort of projects (ala jojo rpg, Katawa Shoujo) but never found a way to anonimously program and collaborate the way online repositories like github works.

We could make a simple rpg but groundbreaking mechanics.
>>
>>3424128
Sure I'll help, Want to use RPG Maker 2003?

inb4 not retro
>>
>>3424140
I have never used rpg maker. But i would be ok if is not too cumbersome and gives freedom to the programmer. Otherwise i'd rather program from scratch.
>>
>>3424128
The problem with projects on 4Chan is that it's hard to maintain a steady support from collaborators. People give up on them way to easily. Sure there were one or two projects that achieved some success, but that's just it.
>>
>>3424151
/tg/ and /vp/ usually have a pretty good success rate.
>>
>>3424151
Well, i think that, as long as you can come up quickly with a good core that allows to introduce easily new content, there should be not to too many problems. Think on DQ I-II how simply they are in design. This is also a slow thread, so i expect this kind of threads to get attention always.
>>
Why not just make an actual GB game? It's not that hard.
>>
>>3424128
I have some ideas for a story:

- Holocaust survival. You're deported to a camp and have to escape.
- Equestia dating sim. You gotta fuck every pony or the world will blow up.
- Elf harem. You gotta collect an elf harm as the heir to the orc throne.
- Pizza delivery. You deliver pizza and build your pizza chain empire.
- Space nigger sim. You're an ayylien building a space ship/station.
- NEET lifestyle. You gotta survive a full year without a job, education, or gf.
- Cuck farm. You raise niggers to cuck you and your neighbors.
- Mesozoic era. You're a caveman surviving with the dinosaurs.
>>
>>3424216
>survive
heh
>>
>>3424128
Didn't /vr/ try to make a snes game a while back? It wasn't an rpg, but I definitely remember something was being worked on.

I didn't participate in the threads myself so I don't know the details; I just remember seeing the threads a lot at the time. Some other anons should be able to provide more details.
>>
File: ff.jpg (36KB, 469x581px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
36KB, 469x581px
>>3424128
Here's a link to RPG Maker 2003:
https://2drpg.com/2003.php

And here's a strawpoll for idea so far:
http://www.strawpoll.me/10985526
>>
>>3424151
this

we have tried lots of things on /vr/ before, and they haven't gone anywhere
>>
>>3424242
I think we should combine neet and pizza delivery and make it it with styles from outlander, car battler joe, final lap twin and paperboy

call it Pizza Boy
>>
File: 1463685865859.gif (1MB, 433x353px) Image search: [Google]
1463685865859.gif
1MB, 433x353px
>>3424216
>neet pizza ponyfucker gaems pls
>>
>>3424348
>>3424337
yuss

Super Pizza Pony Boy III, even though there is no 1 or 2. Banging ponies teaches you new moves for pizza delivery but you have to battle first and weaken them. first pony shows up weak, you see a limping pony shaped shadow projected on the wall behind your pixel perfect, rgb, original hardware only pro crt setup through your lone basement window.....
>>
File: rpg-maker 95.jpg (76KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
rpg-maker 95.jpg
76KB, 640x481px
I would love to contribute with, at least, some character designs. Maybe sprites too, although I'm a 3D guy.
My idea: Game Boy Classic graphics, black and white.

Theme? Let's see... how about something retro games almost never did? What kind of themes and settings are rare in retro games? I'm thinking of a south-american setting.
Let's try keeping alway from memes.

>>3424140
How about RPG Maker 95? Let's keep it retro.

>>3424215
Any tutorials?
>>
Let's port Violated Heroine to Neogeo Pocket.
>>
>>3424381
Did you think I was serious with that gif? And the greentext clearly mocking the quoted post?
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>3424428
How about a survival-horror RPG like Sweet Home, except set in a 1980s California beach community, with gang violence and drugs and other stuff you wouldn't usually see in a game from the day? Chiptune punk, metal, hardcore and crossover thrash soundtrack.
>>
File: Los_Zeta_logo.jpg (43KB, 300x319px) Image search: [Google]
Los_Zeta_logo.jpg
43KB, 300x319px
>>3424464
I was thinking of a Mexican or Brazilian setting.

Maybe Mexican cartels?
Well, mexicans like shounen animes. Maybe a cartel story told like a shounen? A young mexican boy who trains to get stronger and beat cartels? But the cartels have their warriors too!
>>
>>3424157
>/vp/
>collaboration success rate
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3424496
Well, Cali is full of Mexicans.
>>
>>3424496
Zetafornia
All the gang members are bears and all the NPCs are armless bears
>>
>>3424512
Bears... you mean animal bears? Or BARA bears?
>>
>>3424523
I meant bears like on the flag but hey we can go bara too
>>
>>3424523
Bara, definitely.
>>
File: 1469070939379.jpg (17KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
1469070939379.jpg
17KB, 400x309px
Programmer here, I know a ton of languages, could build an engine from the ground up or use something like RPG maker. Also know how to set up and work a github.
I'd be willing to help out a project like this as long as others are interested and willing to help with what's necessary (graphics, UI, text, game design, etc.)
>>
File: Untitled.png (35KB, 645x521px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35KB, 645x521px
>>3424128
>>3424216
>>3424242
>>3424337
>>3424496
Okay, so it's going to be Mexican Pizza Ponyfucker Deliveryboy 3 with gameboy graphics?

>>3424882
I'm tottally down
>>
File: RMW-GL-RPG7B_2_mark_1[1].jpg (46KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
RMW-GL-RPG7B_2_mark_1[1].jpg
46KB, 800x600px
Faggot here.

>>3424242
Ain't programming for your shitty ideas, so good luck if you find someone.
>>3424428
I'm cool with the black and white gb style. I can do gfx too and music by the way.
>>3424882
Which languages do you control? I was thinking on using haxe, recently i discovered it, i suppose that like a good successor of AS3 it would make graphics painless.
>>
>>3425449
>Which languages do you control?
Anything, honestly. I can write some pretty sweet C++ but writing a game in C++ is cumbersome. Also could do Python, or JavaScript + HTML5 to have it run on a webpage. Never used Haxe, it's probably just like Java/C# (aka shit), but portability is nice.
I wonder if there are graphical bindings for racket...
http://www.strawpoll.me/10988921

>AS3
Flash is dead, bro. Fuck flash.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>3425492
I'm ok with python, i have little experience with it, but i'd like to check it out. Besides, it is probably the lesser evil.

What i'm concerned as i said is on code collaboration. I dont want to create a new account on github for this. We could try for example on gitlab, which is pettry hot right now and could serve as a new experience. Or maybe create a new account (Anon) and share the login with other members.
>>
>>3425618
>I don't want to create a new account on github
If you aren't even willing to set up a simple account, then I highly doubt you're willing to put in the necessary effort to make a game. Consider your github account proof that you have any will to get something done.
Having multiple accounts pushing commits makes it easier to manage the project as a team.

>I'm ok with python
Hopefully hardly anyone is actually going to write code, most of the development is creating assets, designing maps, etc.

Speaking of design, we don't have a concrete idea. Someone needs to come up with a cool, moderately fleshed out idea, and the progress can _begin_.
>>
>>3426729
A young boy embarks himself to save the world from itself
>>
I had a idea of 4 rpg types games with diff themes. And linking like pokemon to exchange weapons and stuff.
>>
>>3426740
I read "I had a idea of 4 rpg types games with dilf themes".

I like the exchange of weapons thing
>>
File: preview__r1683354661[1].png (14KB, 400x264px) Image search: [Google]
preview__r1683354661[1].png
14KB, 400x264px
>>3426729
> If you aren't even willing to set up a simple account, then I highly doubt you're willing to put in the necessary effort to make a game.

You can doubt all that you want, ain't making a github account.

> Hopefully hardly anyone is actually going to write code, most of the development is creating assets, designing maps, etc.

GBC looking assets are easy to do, in one-two weeks you get most of the job done. Designing maps is a no-work. Writting code will actually take most of the time.

Also, i don't think you want to encourage ideas-men to join so eagerly.
>>
>>3426812
>wants to do a collaborative coding project
>refuses to make a github account

Do you have a traumatic brain injury?
>>
>>3426812
GB, not GBC. GBC gives too much freedom with the colors.
>>
>>3426812
>GBC looking assets are easy to do
Eh, im absolutely shit with art. I suppose the programming would be quite a bit of work. I say python because who the hell doesnt know python. Once we have an idea i can write the basic engine
>>
>>3426906
No, i'm just picky. Are you virgin?

>>3427131
You are right, my mistake.

>>3427561
Ok, we could start as soon as possible, but i'd rather stablish the team before we start, or else we'll have to deal with a lot of ideas-men. I don't have anything about rogue ideas, but i would not like to put my effort based on someone who will not commit on the long road.

Btw, talking about the idea, and since we are in 4chan. I thought that the game, somehow, could deal with having to cross different realms based on 4chan boards, each one plagued with its culture and memes. For example, crossing the /lit/ land you'd have to deal with Pynchon and DFW, in /fit/ with fatties and manlets, in /mu/ with thom yorke or kanye west. Since i don't think we are going to come with a serious idea, i think at least this would attract the attention of other users.

Also, how are we supposed to be organized?
>inb4 github
>>
>>3425492
>but writing a game in C++ is cumbersome

How so? There are some pretty straight forward game engines based on C++ out there and you can also resort to using those designed for C. Or maybe I got you wrong and you are actually referring to the process of designing the game itself (as opposed to dealing with the base engine).
>>
>>3428793
Github, or we make our own github. However hosting a server isnt as easy as creating an account. I could use lainchan's github if you have some sort of thing against github.com. Ill set it up in a bit.

>>3429082
Making an engine is cumbersome, C++ is still cumbersome if the engine does some of the work for you. I've written a 10k LOC project in C++ and I can tell you I'd rather use another language.

The thing about the worst idea guys is that they don't even have ideas. Shit like, "skyrim but with guns and NES graphics!" That's not an idea, thats maybe a concept. Real ideas mean some sort of realistic hook: a mechanic to center around, or a good premise, or a style that you can actually build around. Honestly I would welcome an ideaguy who actually has an idea.
>>
mega man vr
>>
>>3430665
With meme bosses like Pepeman, Niggerman, Jewman, Feminisman and etc? Maybe with Chris-Chan as the "Dr Wiley" final boss and Sonichu as his "Bass"? Too easy, too obvious.

I'm tired of indie pixelshit clones of old games.
>>
This project seems already plagued by the same problems I see all online projects (especially 4chan ones) falling for. Don't pick a language because you like it/heard the tool is good, and start developing based on that. Don't pick gitlab because it's hot right now, or github because of some other reason. Look at your needs, your experience with current tools, and pick based on that. What type of game are you going to make, and therefore which is the most appropriate engine to use? Factor in things like the size of the community surrounding it, thus how easy it will be to get help.

Look at who your core team is going to consist of (do you even have a proper, persistent place to meet and collaborate yet?) and play to their core strengths. Take everything you already have in to consideration before picking something as important as your engine to use, before you pick one on a whim and then 2 or 3 months down the line realise 'oh shit actually this engine can't handle X, we're fucked'.
>>
>>3429335
>Making an engine is cumbersome, C++ is still cumbersome if the engine does some of the work for you. I've written a 10k LOC project in C++ and I can tell you I'd rather use another language.

And why is that? There's absolutely no argument here.
>>
>>3429335
>>3431495

Considering you didn't provide an argument, I'll assume it's personal.

I've been working with C++ projects myself both in maintenance or from scratch and it has always been pretty handy compared to "higher level" languages (PHP, Java) whose imprecise nature proved to be tricky to work with. That was specially true in team projects where different parts of the code were provided from different people which often proved itself problematic from things of the likes of obscure errors or inefficient code. Try finding the root of a problem when you're given absolutely zero information about it.
>>
>>3430689
If there's one thing I've learned about 4chan, when a collaborative thing comes about, it's often devoid of such faggotry.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.