[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beat 'em up favorites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: 43545435345.jpg (61KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
43545435345.jpg
61KB, 640x448px
What are your all-time favorite [retro] beat 'em ups?

1) King of Dragons (SNES)
2) Sengoku 2 (Neo Geo)
3) Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
4) Final Fight 3 (SNES)
5) Golden Axe (Genesis)
>>
1) Mystical Fighter (GEN)
2) The NinjaWarriors (SNES)
3) Growl (ARC) (PS2 Taito Collection vol. 2)
4) Gourmet Sentai (SFC)
5) Brawl Brothers (SNES)
>>
My favorite belt scroller is Return of Double Dragons.
>>
File: 1449391404657.png (50KB, 768x448px) Image search: [Google]
1449391404657.png
50KB, 768x448px
Capcom's Alien vs. Predator on arcade.

Here's something I want others who are more well-versed in this genre to tell me:

I was extremely surprised and delighted by how FAST the characters can switch from fighting at front to in the back. Is this a special case with this game?

>My Predator is punching an Alien
>Another Alien creeping up behind
>Tap Left arrow
>My Predator swings back AND attacks the other Alien in an instant

It's a hard thing to explain in words, but I played other beat'em ups before, and this one just feels sooooo much better. I felt like a super badass.
>>
>>3423620

1-Ninjawarriors (SNES)
2-TMNT 4 (SNES)
3-TMNT HH (Genesis)
4-Final Fight 3 (SNES)
5-Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
>>
>>3424007
>belt scroller

reported
>>
1—Mighty Final Fight. Must have beaten it over 20 times
2—Renegade/Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun
3—Final Fight
4—Golden Axe III (I and II are pretty lame)
5—anything else I've played doesn't really compare
>>
>>3424107
More detailed:
1—Experience system makes it. Great music, great graphics. Very harmonic gameplay, everything is straight to the point.
2—Throwing people off the platforms. Punching them when they lie on the ground. Just so much fun, when you know how to play. Old school bare-bones action at its finest.
3—Same as Mighty, except slightly less of everything.
4—Overlooked best game in the series. More like Streets of Rage/Final Fight, but by far better than the previous games. Godly music.
>>
File: Undercover-Cops-pic.jpg (2MB, 2313x1208px) Image search: [Google]
Undercover-Cops-pic.jpg
2MB, 2313x1208px
Limiting it to five?

In no specific order:

1. Undercover Cops
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Guardian Heroes
4. Violent Storm
5. Night Slashers
>>
>>3423631
>>3424063
Ninja Warriors (SNES)

The Japanese version is many times better because it has an extra enemy.

That enemy happens to be one of the more challenging enemies in the game, with two different variations.

In a beat'em'up, the inclusion of a single enemy type adds a plethora of more enemy type combinations, adding more variety and challenge. Beat'em'ups are all about enemy type combinations.

That's how big of a difference a single additional enemy type makes in this game.

There's literally no reason to EVER play the non-Japanese version of Ninja Warriors.
>>
>>3423620
Why inferior ports of KoD and Golden Axe would be your favorites?
>>
1-Dungeons & Dragons - Shadow over Mystara
2-Streets of Rage 2
3-Final Fight 2
4-Arcade Battletoads
5-Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder and Golden Axe III.
>>
>>3424546
nice list except for mediocre-ass Final fight 2
>>
Can anyone with Super Double Dragon and a co-op partner recreate a glitch for me? I tried looking it up but seems like no one has documented it.
>>
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (Arcade)
PuLiRuLa (Arcade)
Arabian Nights (Arcade)
Mighty Final Fight (NES)
Fighting Force (PS1)
>>
>>3424031
Streets of Rage is instant too.

It's mostly your controller that determines how fast you can switch sides. On emulator with a keyboard it's instantaneous.
>>
>>3424539
Interesting. Thx for the heads up.
>>
File: Pirates of dark water 1.webm (3MB, 720x420px) Image search: [Google]
Pirates of dark water 1.webm
3MB, 720x420px
>>3423620
Was thinking of starting a thread about everyone's fav beat em ups.

top5:
1: AVP arcade
2: Pirates of dark water
3: Streets of rage remake
4: ????
5: ????
I don't have spots for 4 or 5. D&D shadow of mystara caught my eye, but i haven't put time in it so I can't really say yet. Dragon's Crown is technically also part of this genre but it doesn't feel right to put it on this list.
>>3424031
>Capcom's Alien vs. Predator on arcade
muh nigga
Who do you main? I pick linn mostly because to my knowledge she is the most technical character
Currently researching the mechanics to add to my shitty website. If you have something to add please tell me: https://sites.google.com/site/darkwavestyle/games-research/alien-vs-predator-arcade-cps2/linn-kurosawa

I heard there is a 1frame trick where you can cancel her reloads but I haven't found it yet.
>>
>>3424031
I know that if you get hit and push back + attack, you get to retaliate with a sweep/backfist type move.

>>3424826
I don't know the one frame reload, but you can get a free reload like everyone's OVERHEAT mechanic if you just empty your magazine mid-air.
>>
>>3424605
It would be helpful if you could describe it.
>>
>>3424847
>free reload like everyone's OVERHEAT mechanic if you just empty your magazine mid-air.
Well the reload bar starts refilling if you empty the mag in the air, but if you land too soon it will still trigger the animation. If you stay in the air long enough there is no reload animation at all.
>>
>>3424907
nah nigga, just press shoot again mid-air and you'll skip the reload animation.
>>
>>3423620

King of Dragons is underrated, I just wish that there were small chances, like if Clerics would heal other players every time they picked up health instead of only sometimes.

God now I wanna see if I can't beat it on hard
>>
>>3424949
nah nigga, what that game needs is unique megacrashes for each character. the one in the game is just fire or lightning spells for everyone. That's gay. If each character had a unique megacrash then the game would be literally perfect.

here are some examples.

Fighter: Whirlwind. Standard spinning attack that does damage and knocks down all enemies.

Wizard: He does the normal spells, except the spells he casts get upgraded as he levels up more. Start with Fire then Lightning then Meteor.

Cleric: Protection. All party members have invincibility for about 8 seconds.

Elf: Haste. All party members have increased attack speed and movement for 8 seconds.

Dwarf: Stun. For example, he pounds the ground and enemies caught in the attack get stunned for about 3 seconds.

Those are just examples. Unique megacrashes would made the game so much better. but alas, what's the point, when the game is 40 years old. it's still a fantastic game
>>
>>3424967

yeah, to be fair we could just play the DnD games but they're not quite the same, neither is Dragon's Crown, there's something special about the simplicity of KoD

Those are good examples, the thing with the Cleric is I don't understand his purpose when the fighter exists, he just feels like a weaker fighter
>>
>>3424976
It's been forever, but i did testing on KoD to compare the characters back in the past.

i tested walking speed, jump, damage taken (at equivalent level), damage dealt, attack speed, attack reach, etc etc.

BUT... I can't remember for shit my results. however, i DO remember that the cleric is better than the fighter in some of the categories. even the dwarf is the best in some of the categories, like walking speed.

in the initial version of the game, the fighter was way better than the cleric and dwarf. but he got toned down a bit in the latest revision. for instance, the fighter takes more damage than the cleric and dwarf

at an equivalent level, the cleric takes less damage than the fighter. he also levels up faster. Supposedly, he has an easier time blocking blows too, but i can't tell. blocking is really easy anyway (dunno why ppl think just-frame timing is involved to block. it's not lol), so i dunno how to compare. talking about the arcade version of course.

okay, i'm starting to remember a bit.

weapon reach
fighter > cleric > dwarf
Or it might be fighter = cleric. can't remember

weapon speed and recovery
fighter > cleric > dwarf

walking speed
dwarf > fighter > cleric

jump
dwarf>fighter>cleric

defense (damage taken)
cleric > dwarf > fighter

Health
fighter > cleric = dwarf (?)

and so forth

the fighter is still the best melee character obviously but there are some redeeming factors in the dwarf and cleric i guess
>>
>>3425013

yeah that's the thing, it's pretty easy to block in KoD so the health thing is sort of negated, besides, in beat 'em ups the best defense is a good offense, so, yeah. I never knew about the difference in block lengths though, but it doesn't matter if you turn on a button to block in the SNES version, which is just fucking heretical.

Can he turn undead like he can in the DnD games?
>>
>>3425067

nope, the cleric has no special abilities.

the dwarf though has a special attribute. he's short, so arrows and spears pass above his head, and he can hit slimes that are on the ground. whoopee
>>
1) Double Dragon

Fin.
>>
>SoR1
>Play it with a bro
>die against the twins on the last level
>play it by myself
> die against the twins on the last level
>play with a different friend
>die against the twins on the last level
>>
>>3425151
Back attack, nigga. Use it.

One bitch likes to walk around.

The other bitch likes to hop around like a rabbit.

Avoid the jumping bitch for now.

Wait for the walking bitch to come toward you, and back attack her in the cooter.

Repeat until the walking bitch is dead.

Once the jumping bitch is by herself you can finish her off with whatever you want.
>>
>>3424546
>5-Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
Why in the flying fuck wasn't this on Sega Saturn? At the time, I was sure it would get a port. Instead we got Golden Axe: The Cruel Joke.
>>
File: 1466836070809_1.jpg (27KB, 432x411px) Image search: [Google]
1466836070809_1.jpg
27KB, 432x411px
>>3425273
>>
>>3424924
>>3424924
Jesus i can't believe I never got that. It's not exactly as you say but if you press shoot again in the air, you can press it again after you land to finish the reload animation. Unless there are region differences, but that's how it works for me.

I tried just pressing reload once in the air after ammo is depleted. I tried mashing it a few times. I tried pressing it upon landing without pressing in the air, but it only seems to work when i press once in the air, and then once after landing.
>>
File: sailormn_a.png (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sailormn_a.png
24KB, 320x240px
1) Final Fight CPS
2) Warriors Of Fate CPS
3) Road Of The Sword PGM
4) Battle Circuit CPS2
5) Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Jamma
>>
1. Splatterhouse
2. Sonic Blast Man 2
3. Shodai Kunio-Kun
4. Double Dragon 2
5. Two Crude Dudes or Turtles In Time
>>
File: 1273221151998.jpg (17KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
1273221151998.jpg
17KB, 400x301px
>>3425273
>and back attack her in the cooter.
>>
>>3425594
>but it only seems to work when i press once in the air, and then once after landing.

that's right. been ages since i last played avsp. my bad.
>>
>>3425624
Ah okay. thanks for confirming. By the way. I'm playing this mostly on retroarch on my vita, and I'm having trouble locating the difficulty settings of avpa which I just learned that they exist. According to the original arcade cabinet's instruction manual I'm supposed to press the test switch. I've tried looking under inputs but there is nothing indicating a test menu that I can bind to a key.
>>
>>3424849
basically you surround a boss/mini boss and one person mashes punch and the other times his low kicks. if they land at the same time, you'll get an effect similar to Ocarina of Times infinite sword glitch and your points would rapidly increase.
>>
>>3425678
I never used retroarch before, but look for "service"
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.