[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the options for either playing backups on Saturn hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (4KB, 232x191px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 232x191px
What are the options for either playing backups on Saturn hardware or emulating?

I tried yabause on my laptop (i7, intel4000 video) with retroarch and it was pretty rough.

I would love to play on the original hardware but there is no way I'm going to find the games I want to play at a price I can afford (and fuck optical drives.... Maybe okay if I can burn the games but still... )

So what are my options? I saw the video of that hardware hacker who got backups running off a sdcard, but a option I can buy looks a good while out.
>>
>>3414859
>>
get a mod chip and burn discs
>>
>>3423435
This, or a $40 mod chip that's becoming increasingly hard to find or a modified Action Replay 4m+ (Pseudo Saturn) that lets you do the swap trick without split-second timing and grabbing spinning discs
>>
>>3423457
Swap trick isn't hard, the cd-rom drive is loud as fuck so the swap points are obvious.
>>
>>3423457
>>3423460

Modchip maybe, but disc swapping beyond the bootstrapping for something better is just not something I feel like doing.

Brings back bad memories of ps2 slide card.

So is there no sdcard hacks? I'm not afraid of a soldering iron.
>>
File: rhea-closeup-300x225[1].jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
rhea-closeup-300x225[1].jpg
24KB, 300x225px
>>3423465
There is an ODE, Rhea after one of Saturn's moons but demand outstrips supply at this point so be prepared to pay many times what the other options cost and wait.
>>
File: 1445909148581.jpg (8KB, 185x272px) Image search: [Google]
1445909148581.jpg
8KB, 185x272px
>>3423434
here

https://www.neofighters.info/forum/showthread.php?14031-Sega-Saturn-NTSC-U-248-248-83-4GBs-PAL-243-243-90-9GBs
>>
>>3423482
wait, what is that?
>>
>>3423568
An ODE. Optical Drive Emulator.
>>
>Yabause
For fuck's sake, why are people continuing to use Yabause, is it the first result on google for sega saturn emulator or what?

Use SSF.
>>
>>3423434
Hopefully a Saturn drive emulator will make it to market soon. The CD drive was recently hacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
>>
>>3423647

Yeah I had seen that but it's probably a long ways off from being something one can buy
>>
>>3423579
SSF is closed source and Windows-only... It's simply not available on the vast majority of platforms, it's incompatible with lots of front-ends and there's no way for developers to contribute fixes etc.

So for most Yabause is only option, at least until Mednafen's implementation matures: http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=4409&#msg_4409
>>
>>3424921
>It's simply not available on the vast majority of platforms

Windows makes up 85% of desktop computers, so I'd argue that it is available exactly to the platform with the vast majority.

And nobody cares about what you can emulate on Android; not that any phones would be strong enough to emulate the Saturn anyway.
>>
>>3424921
>closed source
who gives a shit?
>Windows-only
is that bad?

Back to /g/ stallman
>>
File: 1452446988990.jpg (105KB, 492x661px) Image search: [Google]
1452446988990.jpg
105KB, 492x661px
>>3425034
>>
>>3425034
With closed source software you're completely stuck with what ever bugs it has and there's no way to add features, the support is non-existent and once the developer disappears its life-span becomes limited. Being able to play it on all platforms is such a clear advantage I have to assume you're trolling...

>>3425025
The latest phones have the grunt to do it, keep in mind that Yabause was started in 2003.
>>
>>3425025
>>3425034

For me it is. Computer connected to the TV is Linux.

RetroArch integration is important.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.