[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super Metroid Randomizer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: smbox_english.jpg (108KB, 547x400px) Image search: [Google]
smbox_english.jpg
108KB, 547x400px
https://smrandomizer.codeplex.com/

So I just finished my first run of super metroid randomizer and wondered if anyone on here has tried it out? It basically generates a SM rom where all items are randomized. All items are in the same location, but like, where you get the morph ball bombs you may get like, speed booster instead. I had a lot of fun with it, in the run I got my first item was the speed booster and super missiles, and basically went all the way to maridia without ever getting morph ball bombs. I never did find the ice beam or wave beam, but then I've never 100% Super Metroid so I'm not sure where every item is located. It's a really cool idea and an interesting way to breathe some new life into Super Metroid if you've beaten it numerous times.
>>
>>3420528
Neat. I recommend checking out FF5AC if anyone hasn't, and FF6 Beyond Chaos Randomizer's Speed Cave. Both are good random fun.

Also ran, the Resident Evil PS1 randomizer. It's kinda neat, but turns the game into a pure combat/speedrun type thing. Gives you tons of ammo too.
>>
>>3420528
What's the guarantee the game will even be beatable? I mean, if the items are dispersed truly randomly, there's should be a substantial chance an item needed to progress will be inaccessible.
>>
>>3420528
Any other interesting/good romhacks? Because that sounds like it could be an issue.
>>
>>3421298
>super metroid for sega
this actually makes me think how that would have been.
>>
>>3421298
There's also a link to the past randomizer

N64 resident evil 2 has a randomizer mode
>>
>>3421328
>There's also a link to the past randomizer
I can randomize the past? Where's that link to the randomizer, I can't see it.
>>
>>3420895
I think that, between movement mechanics and glitches, there aren't that many places you can't get to if you know how to do it.

Plus there seem to be difficulty settings.
>>
>>3420528

>Start with screw attack from the chozo statue
>Can't prison break because you're too shit
>>
>>3420895
The gaurantee is the fact that anyone who knew enough about metroid item placement to write a randomizer for it would also know enough to map out what becomes accessible based on what powerups you receive. In a sense randomizer is a bad word in that it implies placement is truly random as opposed to simply variable. It's more like a shell game than shuffled cards.

At least, I'd hope whoever set that up approached it like that. I couldn't tell you without actually playing the thing, but super metroid is so documented I can't imagine someone would half ass something like this.
>>
>>3420528
I'm a giant faggot and I've only just started to play Metroid games.

Super is going to be my first 2D one, what do I need to know transitioning from Prime to this?
>>
>>3421298
There's one for Mario 3 that puts the levels in random order. Also ones for the Dragon Warrior games which could be fun.
>>
Yeah there are 3 difficulties, casual, speedrunner, and masochist. I played on casual and was able to beat the game, but then I had some pretty good luck, aside from not finding the bombs until Maridia. I had to play most of the game with power bombs.
>>
>>3421393
How will you get through speedbooster blocks without a speedbooster? How will you get through super missile/bomb doors/blocks without super missiles/bombs? How will you get through screw attack blocks without screw attack?
>>
>>3421587
Well missiles, super missiles, and power bombs are all pretty common items and chances are you'll get at least one of those early on. Honestly, it helps to know where all of the items in the game are to make sure you find everything.
>>
>>3421352
https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer/

>>3421328
How does RE2 emulate, cause I really wanna try that out. That sounds amazing.
>>
>>3423185
>How does RE2 emulate, cause I really wanna try that out. That sounds amazing.

I've tried several emulators, with several settings and plugins, and I could never unlock the randomizer mode (you have to beat the original game first to unlock it).

Either the game wouldn't work at all, or with insane graphical glitches; or with the one emulator with which it worked, it would always crash near the end of the game. ... Unless you can find a save game or a gameshark code to unlock the randomizer, which I couldn't find either.

Maybe you'll have better luck.
>>
>>3421595
Yea, like I have nothing else to remember in life than where literally each and every one of the 100% of the Super Metroid items are after 20+ years.
>>
>>3421524
It's cool man I've beaten SM around 2 dozen times but I still haven't beaten Metroid 1 or 2 even once.
>>
>>3425629
>mod designed to entertain people who've grown tired of the same old SM experience
>THIS IS BULLSHIT, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHERE THINGS ARE?!
It's not for you Einstein.
>>
It's an interesting program, although you can quickly get completely fucked over in-game if you dare to explore. I got a seed that allowed me to get to Brinstar with just the morph ball, some missiles, and power bombs, but I got stuck in the green shaft in the first room because I ran out of power bombs and no enemies at that point in the game give power bombs out. When I reloaded an earlier save state, I got stuck after Spore Spawn since I didn't have any Super Missiles.

Was using the casual setting too, I don't even want to imagine using the masochist or speedrunner settings.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.