[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

retroUSB AVS - 100% compatible NES/Famicom hardware remake created

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: AVSbig.png (266KB, 600x482px) Image search: [Google]
AVSbig.png
266KB, 600x482px
Who else pre-ordered one of these bad boys? I can't wait.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78
>>
It's interesting, but I'll be waiting for it to come out and be proven before I bite.
>>
any proof that it actually works?
>>
>>3417735
The dude behind it is an NES hacking veteran who is hoping to kickstart a new indie/homebrew scene with cartridge releases. This isn't your typical cheap Chinese crap with half-assed clone chips or an Android emulator. It plays unlicensed games, Castlevania III, and even has space to fit a Famicom Disk System RAM cart and play the extra audio channel.
>>
>>3417735
To answer your question more directly, the AVS has been shown off publicly at expos and cons since last year. It's actually been in development since at least early 2013 when he first discussed the project. Of course few people other than bunnyboy (the creator) can vouch for its authenticity until it's out in the market. But his history in the community and his credentials speak for themselves.
>>
>>3417771
Isn't it based on a fpga?
>>
>>3417812

Yeah
>>
>>3417812
Yes, it accurately recreates the NES's hardware in an FPGA.
>>
>>3417771
>>3417808

ok that's pretty cool then
>>
File: stop the pain.jpg (23KB, 242x286px)
stop the pain.jpg
23KB, 242x286px
>185 dollar NES clone

Whats the point of this when accurate emulation is easily available?
>>
File: ngbbs3e1dd857ad200.gif (2KB, 60x60px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs3e1dd857ad200.gif
2KB, 60x60px
Just pre-ordered, just now. Pretty fuckin' psyched.
>>
>>3417829
or you can buy a NES for like $50 dollars and that's over-paying
>>
>>3417829
Indirection. Lag.

Modern PC operating systems are highly abstracted and complex. They are not designed for speed and efficiency.

Bare metal is beautiful and pure. Just plug and play.

I can't wait for the day when someone implements the SNES hardware in a FPGA with a higan/bsnes level of obsessive accuracy.
>>
File: 1425881628417.gif (2MB, 720x540px)
1425881628417.gif
2MB, 720x540px
>>3417835
>Just pre-ordered, just now.
This is sarcasm right?
>>
>>3417820
>accurately

That's retarded. FPGA is just a hardware implementation of an emulator. It's no more accurate than any other emulator, very likely less accurate since whatever they're using won't be as mature as software emulators that have been worked on for decades.
>>
>>3417841
You must not emulate. Ever. This will be just as good as the NES mini, so complete shit.
>>
>>3417848
The NES mini costs $60 and doesn't even have an actual cartridge slot.

Something that cheap can only be done with a Linux/BSD-based software emulator running on an ARM chip.
>>
File: HcRfsG6[1].jpg (225KB, 1153x1600px) Image search: [Google]
HcRfsG6[1].jpg
225KB, 1153x1600px
So basically he spent three years designing a case for the jack diy famicom 2. Good job bunny person.
>>
>>3417841

if input lag was such a big problem for you then a CRT is what you should be getting, not a fucking 185 dollar NES clone.

>Modern PC operating systems are highly abstracted and complex

you have to be actually retarded to have trouble figuring how an nes emulator.
>>
>>3417843
>
this is what i've always thought.

i dont think i'll be interested in console remakes until they start remaking the original parts
>>
>>3417843
Single-core PC hardware performance hit a ceiling a decade ago and has hardly budged since then.

There is little hope for accurate software-based emulation of anything past the fifth console generation. The guy developing CEN64 is still struggling to squeeze out every last drop of performance that he can.

Everyone is running up against the limits of having to model entirely different hardware architectures on general-purpose x86 and ARM chips with a full-fledged operating system sandwiched in between.

FPGA -- reconfigurable bare metal -- is the way forward. What excites me most about AVS (and similar projects) is not so much the NES itself, but every system that came after that is still languishing in ZSNES levels of sloppy, hackish emulation in the name of acceptable, playable performance.
>>
>>3417870

So you're buying something in the hopes that eventually the guy will eventually make something that's actually worth something?
>>
>>3417874
No, I'm satisfied with the knowledge that I and future generations can still enjoy an authentic NES experience well after the last of the original production units have given up the ghost, thanks to the combined efforts of a dedicated fan community.

The only thing that would make this better would be if the AVS's HDL were open-sourced.
>>
>>3417874
the point of an fpga is that it's not like an emulator that runs the instructions of one processor on a completely different processor - it's literally a shitload of logic gates that are reprogrammed so they do exactly the same thing as that processor given the same input

if it's done perfectly it would be the equivalent of a 6502 and a ppu without the overhead of going from 6502 to x86/arm and the assorted APIs like dx/ogl to get input and display and shit
>>
>>3417843
>i don't know how FPGA's work, must be emulashun!
>>
>>3417880
>>3417882

Would you actually notice any difference between this and something like higan?
>>
>>3417885
Higan requires something like a 3 GHz Intel processor to run a complete low-level emulation of the SNES hardware at a full frame rate.

With an FPGA it's a matter of how many logic gates you need to use. There is no indirection, nothing to get in between the game code and the hardware.

In any case, if it costs $185 today to reasonably sell an complete NES hardware implementation, it probably means we're a few years away from having an affordable, accurate SNES replica.
>>
>>3417897

Couldnt you just buy a processor at that price?
>>
$185 is a little steep but you're getting all new hardware with a really sharp looking physical design, crystal clear picture without fucking around with mods or converter boxes, built in Famicom support, online leaderboards... I say wait and see if it lives up to the claims but on paper it sounds fair enough to me, especially since it's a pretty niche product. The alternative is that fucking stupid $500 aluminium thing.
>>
>>3417916
>online leaderboards

How would that even work? Wouldn't you have to reprogram the games themselves?
>>
>>3417915
Yes, but it would still be a flawed and compromised experience. For one thing, input lag in emulators is still prevalent even when they run games at full speed.

http://byuu.org/articles/latency/
>>
File: image0011210155736818.jpg (97KB, 541x423px) Image search: [Google]
image0011210155736818.jpg
97KB, 541x423px
>>3417863
>Modern PC operating systems are highly abstracted and complex

>you have to be actually retarded to have trouble figuring how an nes emulator.

No you knucklehead, he's talking about input delay and lag.
There's several software layers that programs and usb devices have to work through.
Whether or not it's that much or enough to bother anyone is another matter though
>>
File: bateman.jpg (62KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
bateman.jpg
62KB, 600x327px
>>3417710
>100% compatible
>>
>>3417949

> Posts picture of the network model, totally unrelated to operating system arch
>>
File: fig5-6.jpg (42KB, 333x363px) Image search: [Google]
fig5-6.jpg
42KB, 333x363px
>>3418218
>>
Finally! This I'm okay with.

Retron: SHIT
Typical clone consoles: SHIT
Analogue NT: SHIT
Emulators: besides the real deal, the best we have
NES: Best
This: Awesome
>>
Haven't yet but holy shit I want one
>>
>>3417710
Hm looks kinda big, my wife wants me to get the NES Mini instead since it'll free up tons of shelf space, it has all the best games already in it, and there won't be any spare controllers or cartridges to collect dust
>>
>>3418493

What does her son want? Surely he gets the veto?
>>
>>3418503
He stays at her boyfriend's house because I'm a "creepy ass cracker". The NES Mini is going out in the shed, which I've made into a sort of man cave.
>>
Overpriced but I like how it looks at least.
>>
>>3417843
>I don't know what an FPGA chip is
People like you that spew shit from their mouth without knowing anything should be hanged
>>
>>3417843
This is probably the most ignorant and retarded post I've read here this week.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.