[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good accounts of what it was like to be in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (38KB, 805x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 805x453px
Are there any good accounts of what it was like to be in the trenches of retro game development, written with programmers in mind? For example, there are tons of stories about how Iwata saved various Nintendo games during his early years at the company, but I can't find any information on what the specific problem was those games were facing, or the solution Iwata came up with. There's a similar thing for Atari. Many accounts reference how hard it was to program 2600 games or to port certain arcade titles, but don't go into the coding specifics of what kind of obstacles were encountered.
>>
shmuplations
>>
Who made Iwata puppet there? That thing is bitchin.
>>
>>3417242
Jim Henson studios
>>
>>3417196
>but I can't find any information on what the specific problem was those games were facing, or the solution Iwata came up with.
This stuff is not hard to find.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoru_Iwata
>>
>>3417269
I was looking for more specific things having to do with the code and hardware archetecture. Like, I know Iwata made new compression tools for Pokemon G/S, and made new dev tools for Earthbound, but I want more detail on how those tools were coded.

It doesn't have to be Iwata, just dev interviews or stories that really get deep and explain or show the actual code involved.
>>
>>3418026
You're better off relying on the fan community to disassemble and reverse-engineer the games themselves to figure out how they were developed for the hardware platform.

As for what were the initial problems that had been ultimately solved in the final product, that's more difficult to tell.
>>
>>3417196
Masters of Doom
>>
>>3417196
>Many accounts reference how hard it was to program 2600 games
Huh, I have many accounts reference how easy it is.
>or to port certain arcade titles
That's more truthful.
The main problem is Atari VCS doesn't generate the whole screen but only a line, and Racing the Beam book tells how Atari programmers overcame these restrictions.
>>
>>3417247
Did they have the puppets because Iwata was dying or was it a coincidence?
>>
>>3418026

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/ has lots of good information about developing crash bandicoot and overcoming technical limitations of the ps1. i'll try to dig up more of the like
>>
Imagine Software were going well for a while. Seemed like a fun time.
>>
File: 9780262012577[1].jpg (109KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
9780262012577[1].jpg
109KB, 317x475px
>>3417196
>here's a similar thing for Atari. Many accounts reference how hard it was to program 2600 games or to port certain arcade titles, but don't go into the coding specifics of what kind of obstacles were encountered.
>>
>>3420269
Hide the sickness
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.