[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remakes vs. the Original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 50

File: kirbyart.png (728KB, 1371x1056px) Image search: [Google]
kirbyart.png
728KB, 1371x1056px
We had a topic about this on /v/ early so I wanted to see what ya'll thought.

Any other examples of games that just completely ruined the aesthetic with the remake?
>>
The problem with remakes is the original vision isn't there 99.9% of the time, simply because the original talent isn't there. It's hard to come up with a fun and original video game, but any schmoe can be hired to hash out a game that already has a complete template. This is why I can't stomach most remakes. Of course there are a tiny few exceptions, but those are few and far between.
>>
Although I agree with most of it, that picture is very nitpicky.

Typically /vr/ consoles provide very large leaps in the next generation as far as graphical horsepower goes so it's very difficult to screw up a game's aesthetics so hard that not even the upgraded resolution/colors can make up for it. Off the top of my head I can't think of any remakes that have graphics worse than the previous game.
>>
>>3414357
The GBA Donkey Kong Country graphics are especially garbage despite being more advanced.
>>
>>3414347
Shittiest OP picture of all time perhaps.
>>
>>3414347
>you're just on another planet
What a drag. Going to other planets? Wake me up when we do something less boring.
>>
>>3414363
SNES is better than GBA in every way besides processing speed.
>>
>>3414419
How many games do something like the remake's aesthetic? How many games do something like the original's aesthetic?
>>
>>3414525
That is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.
The GBA DESTROYS the SNES in everything except the dedicated sound processor.
But even still the GBA is more powerful.
>>
>>3414527
>How many games do something like the original's aesthetic?
0 excluding other Kirby games
>How many games do something like the remake's aesthetic?
0 excluding other Kirby games

>>3414531
The SNES has a higher resolution and it outputs to a nicer screen.
>>
>>3414347
The remake is still pretty, but art direction went a very different way. Would bother as a fan of the original.
>>
>>3414347
While I agree the left is far more appealing I don't really think it's completely ruined.

The oddworld remake comes to mind as something that ends up with a completely different tone, though that's a combination of the art feeling less grimey and the workers spamming inane voice lines.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Castle of Illusion remake
>>
>>3414597
> and it outputs to a nicer screen.
What is GBPlayer made for
>>
>>3414347
He thinks that just looks like dirt? Space isn't a fantastic place? Purple is a common space colour so it's not "dreamlike" enough?

Is this guy a turbo autist or is this all a joke? Left does look cleaner overall but his reasons are hilarious.
>>
>>3414347
>Making an argument based on the colors used on an NES game
>Not realizing that there wasn't much to choose from and that the decisions are probably based on what make better contrast

Really, if they used the same colors and shapes from the original people would say that it's boring port and that it doesn't take advantage of the GBA hardware. There's no way to win.
>>
>>3414823
He's saying the overall look doesn't appear as dream-like as the original
>>
File: smb3_w1-5.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
smb3_w1-5.png
2KB, 256x240px
The underground levels in SMB3. They looked like you were in outer space and the floor was covered in snow.

In the GBA and SNES versions, they look generic as fuck. Truly disgusting.
>>
>>3414838
Yeah and I'm saying he's retarded and his points are laughable to the point I'm not sure if it was meant to be ironic or not.
>>
>>3414347
>someone was so autistic about a Kirby remake that they actually made this fucking image
Oh. Oh, wow. This is nuts.

His complaints are so cherry-picked and based on an awful double standard, I feel like you could make the exact opposite argument with the same logic. Allow me to weigh in as a lifetime fan of the game that I feel the remake didn't "ruin" le "artistic vision", and also the remake has better controls.
>>
>>3414826
It doesn't matter if they didn't originally intend the game to look like that and it was just due to technical limitations. It still looked a lot better.
>>
>>3414845
The Kirby remakes usually have worse controls. The remake of Kirby Super Star Ultra had such horrible controls that it was nearly unplayable.
>>
>>3414849
I dunno. The original Kirby's Adventure is decent, but there's a lot of dead space between certain actions where you can't input anything. There are a LOT of times when I play the game and I feel like pushing the buttons just isn't doing anything. It was so bad it made me think my controller was broken. I took it apart and cleaned it and tried it with like a dozen other games before I realized it was just the game itself.
>inb4 "but it was designed like that on purpose!!! git gud!!!"

>Kirby Super Star Ultra had such horrible controls that it was nearly unplayable.
I feel like you're making that up in your head. And you're clearly exaggerating. The game isn't "nearly unplayable" because I cleared it, 100%, with ease.
>>
>>3414840
They even used the stars a couple of times to hint at invisible blocks. That is lost in the remake.

>>3414347
I hate how Kirby's face is always either very serious or very cute in the remakes. He had blank stare in the GB and NES games.
>>
>>3414840
Is it bad that I only played the SNES version?
>>
>>3414860
Yes. Why would anyone play, read or watch a remake of anything before the touching original version? There is a very high chance that your first experience with the game will be tainted by a shitty remake. Remakes almost always destroy the original aesthetic and music.

I learned my lesson with the Dragon Quest remakes. Never again.
>>
File: smb3gba1-5.jpg (97KB, 320x257px) Image search: [Google]
smb3gba1-5.jpg
97KB, 320x257px
>>3414840
Funny, I think it looks better. Cool giant caverns is better than white flecks on black.
>>
>>3414865
I think giving the backgrounds "depth" is a mistake. The game is supposed to look like a stage play. The black courtain filled with stars was more interesting to look at.
>>
File: mario3-ll-nes-hilly-1a.png (1KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
mario3-ll-nes-hilly-1a.png
1KB, 256x224px
>>3414865
I find the simplicity and plain colors of the NES game more charming. Especially how the sky was pure blue without additional clouds drawn on it. There is too much detail in your image.
>>
File: mario3-ll-nes-underground-1.png (1KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
mario3-ll-nes-underground-1.png
1KB, 256x224px
>>3414840
>that one time you enter a pyramid and the inside looks like this
It looks like there is an entire dimension inside that thing. Always blew my mind as a kid. The game felt truly magical and strange.
>>
File: supermarioadvance1.jpg (28KB, 267x178px) Image search: [Google]
supermarioadvance1.jpg
28KB, 267x178px
>>3414873
To each their own then. I like the look of the 2 and 3 remakes a lot more than the original. But I should also note that I've never been a Mario (or platformer) fan so I never loved the originals as they were in the first place. I just think the remakes look better.

Also I never cared that it was supposed to be a play.
>>
>>3414883
The inside of the pyramid had "red snow" on the floors and walls, though. Which made it look even better.
>>
File: smb1-2.png (48KB, 2848x944px) Image search: [Google]
smb1-2.png
48KB, 2848x944px
>>3414882
Totally fair, I just think it's preference.
>>
>>3414885
I never played the original as a kid either, I played the GBA remake for years. I still think the NES version has a lot more charm, especially the grass and sand levels. The way they are drawn is incredibly charming.

I can't go back to playing the remakes after having played the original. It like it a lot better. Fire mario looks cool as fuck and his fireballs turn green in the toad houses. I love that stuff.
>>
>>3414902
See, I'm the opposite. I played them as a kid, I just didn't like them. The only reason I even played through them when the remakes came out were the new graphics that at least made it nice to look at.
>>
File: hqdefkjhault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefkjhault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>3414902
Seriously, I can't see how this...
>>
File: maxresdekjhjkhjkhfault.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdekjhjkhjkhfault.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>3414906
... looks better than this.

The remake looks dead and the backgrounds make the world feel small and restricted because you can never go to those mountains. The original has more vivid colors, the sand looks DELICIOUS (It made me want to live in that world as a kid just to touch it) and you don't see inaccessible things in the background. The sky is clear and beautiful. The fact that sky blue is my favorite color probably helps, too.

To each their own I guess.
>>
>>3414891
That image looks beautiful as a whole, but when you play the game you don't see everything at the same time. You just see a bunch of distracting crap in the background.

>>3414885
That one does look better than the original, because the original SMB2 didn't look particularly good. I like how busy the backgrounds are. It fits the game.
>>
>>3414767
because the dkc remake was made for gbplayer
>>
File: smb32-2.png (38KB, 2608x448px) Image search: [Google]
smb32-2.png
38KB, 2608x448px
>>3414913
>The remake looks dead and the backgrounds make the world feel small and restricted because you can never go to those mountains.

Define "dead"? To me those mountains ad more depth because it makes it look like you're in this whole other world with weird conical mountains and gives the whole game a much more interesting feel. But to each their own as I say, it's all just preference.
>>
>>3414916
>That one does look better than the original, because the original SMB2 didn't look particularly good. I like how busy the backgrounds are. It fits the game.

That's exactly how I feel about SMB3 as well.
>>
>>3414926
The colors make it look lifeless compared to the original. That's what I mean.

I see how the weird mountains can make the game feel more interesting, but I'm the kind of guy that loves how weird and alien most NES games look. They feel mysterious and creepy.

The levels in the original SMB3 don't look like they are part of a whole world, they feel like little universes. I always imagined Level 1-5 as a vast, infinite ice world with just that one cave in it. I imagined each of the desert levels as separate universes where everything is an empty desert except for that one part Mario is exploring. The World 7 levels are infinitely cool and scary when think of them like that.

The game obviously has a world map and everything is supposed to be connected. But something about the original graphics made me interpret the game like that.

If you have ever read The neverending story (the movie is complete garbage), you probably understand what I mean.
>>
>>3414953
>The colors make it look lifeless compared to the original. That's what I mean.

That still makes no sense. Most of the colours are the same.
>>
>>3414953
I think it has to do with the fact that everything was so plain looking. The sky was empty, as if there was nothing else in the horizon.

I also imagined the pyramid level as a huge world full of aliens and more red snowy platforms. Especially the second one that is filled of bottomless pits, it really gives the level an outer space feel. But it's not like it's the "real" space, it's an universe completely separate from everything else in the game. It made the game feel magical.

There was also that world where you kept falling and falling. You could use a bunch of platforms to try and go back up, but you could also hit the bottom and continue through a weird snowhy space cave. The lack of details in the background while you were falling made the whole thing feel really trippy.
>>
>>3414976
The water in the original picture is too bright and lacking in details. It looks very strange and interesting. The water in the remake looks like normal water.

The sand in the original looks almost edible, and those black dots make it look really charming. In the remake, the sand looks pretty generic.

Same with the platforms and blocks. In the original, they didn't have shadows or anything. They were just plain orange with some black lines.

You can easily draw the original level, it looks very simple and memorable. The remake graphics are a lot harder to draw and remember because there are too many details. Even Mario looks more complicated, since he has actual shading. I find it less charming and memorable overall.

I guess I don't like sprites with shading. They just look more blurry and ugly.
>>
File: dragonfly in a meadow_ss.jpg (376KB, 800x619px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfly in a meadow_ss.jpg
376KB, 800x619px
>>3414995
I think we'll just plain not agree because your three points are all reasons I like the remake better. I always thought the original was sort of bland and empty looking. And I like more detailed, interesting sprites.

I'm kind of crazy for detail overall though. Nothing wrong with different opinions though.
>>
>>3415000
I love detail too. That picture makes the imagination fly. But I don't like it when it's added to something that was originally simple and charming.
>>
>>3415004
I get that. To me the original was just simple, not particularly charming or interesting. We don't have to agree though.
>>
>>3414350
I agree. Most people don't realize this, though. Fucking retards.
>>
>>3415102
>Fucking retards.

Slow down with the edge there kiddo
>>
>>3414864
The dragon quest remakes looked a lot better.
I mean, not on the GBC. Those looked like garbage. But the SNES remakes were great. Especially 3.
Of course then you get to 4 on the DS and e'rythan goos ta sheyet.
>>
>>3415125
The DS ones look choppy and ugly, though. The character's eyes literally change size as you walk. And that 3D garbage should stay out of 2D rpgs. You can't beat the solid NES and SNES sprites.
>>
>>3414347
>remakes vs. original thread
>on /vr/
So basically you just want a remake-hate thread for you guys to circlejerk over?
>>
>>3414906
>>3414913
>Seriously I can't see how 16-bit beauty looks better than a 10-year-old drawing in MS Paint
God damn this board is fun until you remember that it's full of hipsters.
>>
>>3415193
Yes, but /vr/ is apparently filled with people who don't even like retro games. It's literally a slower /v/ at this point.
>>
>>3415196
I find it has two kinds of people. Nostalgia fans who hate what happened to games and want to pretend the last decade or two never happened, and general gamers who like many types of games and come here because they also like talking about old ones. They rarely see eye to eye.
>>
>>3414906
>>3414913
>The remake looks dead and the backgrounds make the world feel small and restricted because you can never go to those mountains.
I don't have a reaction image for this holy shit
I might give you the whole stage part, as in both in the OP and here the original "style" had been disregarded, but the rest is grasping at straws. No, really, purple is not dreamy? The sky is beautiful when it's a single solid color?
>>
>>3415195
>if you like NES graphics over SNES graphics you are a hipster with shit taste
Go away.
>>
>>3415205
When the sky was a single solid color, it looked like it was infinite. It looked like there was nothing beyond it, just endless blue space.

The remake makes it look more boring. It's just a normal sky now.
>>
>>3415205
A single color makes it look empty so you can imagine all sorts of things. That's far more interesting than anything else could be. The best Mario should just be a single sprite with no animation on a blank background. That way you can imagine the most and it will be the best.
>>
>>3414865
Looks like ass, my man. How do you slide down grass? At least >>3414840 gave the impression it was an ice cavern and all the specks in the background where tiny sparkles from ice glistening off whatever little amount of light they could. Generic brown cave is boring af.
>>
>>3415198
My problem with remakes and adaptations is that a lot of them are either terrible or worse than the original. It's annoying to see people talking about a game you like when they have only played some distillation of it.

It's particularly bad when you love an obscure book or videogame but can't discuss it with anyone because most people only know the bad movie adaptation or the casualized remake.
>>
>>3415213
I understand from where you are coming, but the sky was never meant to be weird, or it would have been of another shade on the NES since this is what it could be used to show this fact. Youjust imagined stuff that wasn't there as a kid.

I can feel that there is something that's not very stylised in the remake, but those part about sky and imagination are different for every person, and they cannot be recreated by anything except the original. The shitty looking sand sprite in the SNES is already a better point, along with an excessive lack of detail IMHO for a 16-bit gra[hic game.
So it's pointless to criticize a remake over those, since they are by definition subjective.
Still your point of view was very interesting, an dI would like to see more games that have a weird aestetichs to them
>>3415223
ok, I laughed
>>
>>3415213
>When the sky was a single solid color, it looked like it was infinite.

To me it just looked like a flat block of color.
>>
RE remake is GOAT and all other remakes should kill themselves in comparison
>>
File: smb3-2.jpg (29KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
smb3-2.jpg
29KB, 256x240px
>>3415225
>How do you slide down grass?

How do mushrooms walk and fly about for you to jump on and throw fireballs at? Also you can also slide down grass in the version you prefer.
>>
>>3415225
>all the specks in the background where tiny sparkles from ice glistening off whatever little amount of light they could
That's probably what they intended, but I think it's more interesting if they are far away stars and the black part is empty space. How does that make sense? It doesn't, but that's what made the game feel like a trip down the rabbit hole. It made you use your imagination to try and make sense of it, just like how NES games usually had a few weird looking sprites that didn't really look like what they were supposed to be.

Playing NES games as a kid was a very interesting experience because some things looked so strange and alien that you had to make sense of them using your imagination. In the case of SMB3, I used to think that Buzzy Beetles were penguins, the Goomba Shoe was a sock and the koopas were ducks.
>>
>>3415246
That grass is obviously wet though. The cave grass was too dry to slide on.
>>
File: smbgfs_24375_2_2.jpg (30KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
smbgfs_24375_2_2.jpg
30KB, 480x320px
>>3415251
0/10
>>
>>3415228
You have a point there. The original was simple enough that you could imagine all sorts of weird shit to fill the blanks, while the remake allows the creators to show their vision of how the world is supposed to look.

It's like the Touhou games. The plot and characters are very barebones, but they are interesting enough to make fans try to imagine the rest. If it wasn't interesting to begin with, nobody would care about it. That's why this strawman >>3415223 isn't a valid criticism.
>>
>>3415257
You can't deny that the original fire Mario looked better, though. There was no reason to make him look like that in the remake, other than wanting to be "consistent" with the other games. The Mario series isn't supposed to be consistent, it should be imaginative and crazy.

Up until Super Mario World, every game had completely different look and even the enemies were redesigned each time. But at some point after the release of SMW, they decided to be consistent and boring. That philosophy is what led us to the shitfest that is the NSMB series.
>>
>>3415268
>You can't deny that the original fire Mario looked better, though.

I can easily deny that. I think it looks miles better than this >>3414995
>>
File: how the mighty have fallen.jpg (139KB, 1174x1046px) Image search: [Google]
how the mighty have fallen.jpg
139KB, 1174x1046px
>>3415268
>That philosophy is what led us to the shitfest that is the NSMB series.

Mario is so boring and sterile now.
>>
>>3414347
That pic is just a desperate attempt to justify nostalgiafagging and NOT MUH. The NiDL world looks just as fantastical and strange as the original, it simply isn't the one the writer played as a child.
>>
>>3415268
>The Mario series isn't supposed to be consistent, it should be imaginative and crazy.

Too bad the people who make the Mario games don't agree with you.
>>
>>3415281
The people who make Mario games now don't know dick. They're not Miyamoto.
>>
>>3414840
In the remakes the caverns actually look like caverns. The horror.
>>
File: d36f0721.gif (462KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
d36f0721.gif
462KB, 275x183px
>the gall to have elitism over a fucking kirby game

I knew this board had gone to shit, but holy shit OP this takes the cake.

Look, at the end of the day yeah you might be right that the original vision is gone, but guess what? That's okay. It reintroduces the game to a new generation.

Nightmare in Dreamland was actually my very first Kirby game and I loved it so much that I started exploring the other games. I ended up stumbling upon Kirby's Adventure sometime after I completed Super Star and Kirby 64. I fell in love with the game's charm. I was completely blown away that this game was a NES game.

Furthermore, by the time I got to the 2nd world I started to realize that it was Nightmare in Dreamland. Then it clicked that Nightmare in Dreamland was a remake. That revelation was an emotional one.

Basically: Remakes DO have a place in this industry especially if done right. Don't be a prick about it.
>>
>>3414849
>The remake of Kirby Super Star Ultra had such horrible controls that it was nearly unplayable.
No man it really didn't. When people say shit like this I feel like they've never actually played a bad game and thus have no understanding of what makes the good ones good.
>>
In reference to metroid vs zero mission, the original is better purely because of the atmosphere. The sense of isolation and grandness doesnt carry over at all.

I dont get why people say metroid aged poorly either.
>>
>>3414885
Anyone claiming the Mario 2 remake looks worse than the original has no eyes.
>>
>>3415293
Because you have to spend 30 minutes farming health each time you die.
>>
>>3415293

Sorry bub. Metroid ZM is actually an example of a remake done right.
>>
>>3415207
>if you like NES graphics over SNES graphics you are a hipster with shit taste
Exactly.
>>
>>3415275
>Official (Nintendo)... Seal...
LMAO
>>
>>3415283
Miyamoto liked the SNES and GBA remakes though...
>>
>>3415298
It's a retelling, not a remake.
>>
>>3415306
Same thing.
You're confusing remake and port.
>>
>>3415283
>people
The new Mario games don't even look like they are made by human beings. It's like they are mass produced by a machine.
>>
>>3415293
The original had better atmosphere, but people will tell you that it didn't because "it was just because of NES limitations" and that the remake has a better atmosphere because "it's what the developers intended from the beginning". Those people are artistically blind.

The original is still a shitty game, though. Starting with 30 health every time is simply bad design.
>>
>>3415304
That doesn't mean shit. He would never say anything bad about Nintendo games. He works for them.
>>
>>3415327
All I'm saying is you can disagree and be upset at Nintendo and the people who work there and make the games for how they want to make them look, but it seems pointless. Personally, I'm with Miyamoto. I like the look of the remakes and the consistent style.
>>
>>3415301
How can you be so blind? Limited graphics have a completely different feeling to them that works much better for certain games.

The original Resident Evil is scarier than the remake because the creepy PS1 graphics have that uncanny valley vibe. PS1 and N64 games in general feel empty and desolate, which makes even non-horror games feel slightly creepy.
>>
>>3415275
2.5D is the worst thing to ever happen to videogames.
>>
>>3415304
So did I. They're way better than the NSMB series.
>>
>>3415339
>The original Resident Evil is scarier than the remake because the creepy PS1 graphics have that uncanny valley vibe.

100% disagree.
>>
>>3415339
>uncanny valley

I think PS1 graphics are the opposite of UV.
>>
>>3415363
I consider the Uncanny Valley pretty much bunk, as things can look uncanny at any level of "human likeness". It's not something you fall into when you get more realistic or more technological advanced, quite the opposite most modern games today look far better then what we had 10 or 15 years ago, despite being far more realistic and they have consistently improved over that time period.

The only real drop that there ever was in graphics, was 20 years ago when 3D graphics went mainstream and in retrospect old 2D games hold up a lot better then early 3D ones, but that was long before things looked "human-like".

That's not to say that certain games can't look uncanny, they certainly do, but they do so for relatively simple reasons, not for some mythical "human-likeness". A lot of it is just motion capture artifacts and lack of cleanup.

Essentially the Uncally Valley graph is complete nonsense and people can never agree if something is on the left, the right or wherever. The reality is more like a narrow path of appealing graphics and when you misstep to much into the wrong direction things can go down the cliff into uncanny territory. But those missteps are not automatic and can be avoided or made at any point.

I see the whole Uncanny Valley as a classic case of confirmation bias.
>>
>>3415275
Actual SMB2 uses the same assets and engine from SMB1 tho
>>
File: Akiross.jpg (14KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
Akiross.jpg
14KB, 300x232px
>>3415376
>I consider the Uncanny Valley pretty much bunk

Because you don't understand it.

> It's not something you fall into when you get more realistic or more technological advanced

That's exactly what it is.
>>
>>3415376
I don't understand, therefore it is false.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
You know, sometimes saying "I don't know" or "I don't understand" is a lot more powerful and intellectually honest than grandstanding like an ignoramus.
>>
>>3414363

Rare had lost all their talent by then, it was after the microshit buyout. The scum left over were incapable of even remaking their old games at the same quality, let alone creating anything new.
>>
>>3415382
US has a bigger population than Japan. Majority wins. SMB2USA is the real one.
>>
>>3415310
>Same thing.
Hello underage. There's the door.
>>
>>3415339
>this is what nostalgiafags actually believe
I mean knowing what board I'm on I shouldn't be surprised, but still.
>>
>>3415227

examples or die
>>
>>3415339
I agree less is more sometimes with games and make them spookier but REmake is definitely more spooky with its lighting and shadows.
>>
>>3415376
Like the other say, you don't get what it is. So here's a quick crash course. Our brains are incredibly good at picking out patterns that look like people and especially faces. It's why you can look at something like pic related and your brain instantly reads it as a face, even though it's very abstracted. Heck, your brain will even try to read this :) as a face. It's why comics and stylized art are as popular as they are, especially with children. Your brain fills in the gaps.

But when you get more and more detailed, a funny thing starts to happen. There's a sort of line you cross where your brain stops seeing something it knows is abstract and tries to form a face out of it. It sees something that it thinks at first that it is a real face because it's so convincing. But then that same part of your brain kicks into overdrive and now it sees all the ways that what you're looking at isn't a real face.

For some reason although it's almost comforting to look at a cartoon face, looking at something that's too close to being realistic looks really creepy and weird. The Polar Express effect.
>>
>>3415463
>your brain will even try to read this :) as a face.

Not by default. I remember being on AOL in like 1996 and they would have to explain to newcomers the concept of smileys because you'd get a lot of people in the chat who would ask what colon parenthesis meant. I think people only now see :) and your pic as faces because they were told to.
>>
>>3415275
I like how you brush over the fact that the original Mario 2 was a copy paste job of the original super mario bros, and the us mario 2 is in fact a copy paste job of another game. I also like how you don't mention the galaxy series, sunshine, mario vs luigi etc. Also the new super mario games are great fag
>>
>>3415483
Agreed, it took me a while to make the link. :)
>>
>>3415492
best reply ever
>>
File: jill1.jpg (120KB, 863x485px) Image search: [Google]
jill1.jpg
120KB, 863x485px
The REmake was fucking incredible and still looks good today.
>>
>>3415517
I just hope REmake 2 is just as good.
>>
>>3414347
Ys
>>
>>3415492
Yeah yeah yeah.
BUT the og doki doki panic was the game Miyamoto had a hand in creating.
Mario 2 was just a rom hack but some random nintendo employees.

It's officially released fan fiction at best.
>>
File: mzm very good too different tho.jpg (100KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
mzm very good too different tho.jpg
100KB, 640x640px
I've been hear for a year now and I've been meaning to ask if it always has been such a shithole?
>>
>>3415586
Nah, before it was just a lot more boring. I like that /vr/ has more sass to it now. You can only discuss the same handful of games so many times before getting tired of it and resort to shitposting for entertainment.
>>
>>3415597
>before it was just a lot more boring
/vr/ or the og metroid?
>>
>>3415609
both actually
>>
>>3414865
Looks like indiegame trash, honestly. It doesn't read well; the texture on the dirt is literally distracting because it has such high contrast.
>>
>>3414350
>The problem with remakes is the original vision isn't there 99.9% of the time
And if somehow it's there, turns out the original game wasn't quite what they had in mind or had to make some compromises because of hardware or meddling.
>>
Actual inferior remakes coming through.

With kirby NiDL I'm more bothered by new physics and smaller space to move. Not terrible but I personally preffer the original.
>>
File: kss kssu comparison.png (511KB, 1127x468px) Image search: [Google]
kss kssu comparison.png
511KB, 1127x468px
here's kirby superstar and superstar ultra

characters got thick outlines because its a smaller screen
>>
File: NES_Metroid_Mother_Brain.png (38KB, 736x320px) Image search: [Google]
NES_Metroid_Mother_Brain.png
38KB, 736x320px
here's metroid nes and metroid zero mission gba

spoilered just in case someone doesn't want to see the last boss in both.
>>
>>3415878
I actually do prefer the SSU art in this instance. The original art always felt too blocky to me. Didn't feel like a real world.
>>
>>3415880
The one thing that bothers me about the remake is the transparent lava. Lava isn't transparent.
>>
File: 64 vs ds.jpg (79KB, 640x240px) Image search: [Google]
64 vs ds.jpg
79KB, 640x240px
I hate how the mario 64 ds port looks. I think the original looks way more visually interesting.
>>
>>3416071
I like the new models better, but holy fuck Bob-omb Battlefield needs some rain.
>>
>>3416071
The modern Mario looks like a perpetually angry asshole. Why is he so fucking serious all the time?
>>
That Kirby remake was ass.
>>
>>3416071
>the original looks way more visually interesting
But that's impossible according to this idiot >>3415301
>>
File: FF_NES_Flying_Fortress.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
FF_NES_Flying_Fortress.png
2KB, 256x240px
Getting to this point in the origins version was a disappointment. I was expecting some updated realization of the anachronistic techno-fantasy space palace like the original and got another castle instead, with a cloud background.
>>
SMB1, SMBUSA, SMB3, I prefer the NES versions.
Metroid NES, patched to have saving and Ice+Wave.
I actually prefer the non-retro Pirates to the original.
NES Kirby's Adventure, and SNES Super Star.
The Journeyman Project Turbo is better than Pegasus Prime.
realMyst is better than Myst, Myst Masterpiece Edition, or realMyst Masterpiece Edition.
>>
I play remakes if there are enough improvements to justify it, and usually it has to do with gameplay and QoL features. For example, knowing that I can fix the broken physics in All Stars, I prefer it for proper saving over the Famicom versions where I would have to use save states or restart the game if I leave in the middle. With Megami Tensei, passwords, slow movement and various features that help navigate in the remake (Kyuuyaku) made me play that one. I played the original Kirby's Adventure, but I didn't even know there was a remake, so I haven't compared.

I don't have time to play every game twice, and if I can save myself some trouble with a remake, then I will. Of course if the graphics/music are butchered then I'll stick with the original or an earlier edition, but I end up playing remakes for a lot of Famicom games.
>>
>>3416353
>Metroid NES, patched to have saving
Why would you even play it on NES instead of the superior FDS version?
>>
>>3414767
480i unless you install a modchip.
>>
>>3414845
Fuck you faggot, there are plenty of people who prefer the original NES game and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm one of those people and I'll gladly tell you to fuck off if I see you again

that being said, there's nothing wrong with the remake either
>>
>>3415878
My only complaint about SSU is that Kirby and the gang doesn't move as fast as they did in SS.
The game would have been nearly perfect it did.
>>
>>3415347
Kirby 64 and Klonoa used it very well.
>>
>>3415546
>BUT the og doki doki panic was the game Miyamoto had a hand in creating.
>Mario 2 was just a rom hack but some random nintendo employees.
>It's officially released fan fiction at best.
Not even. Doki Doki was originally going to be the next Mario game, but it got repurposed because some music festival wanted to have a game with their mascots.
>>
>>3416387
Load times?
>>
>>3415301
That is the dumbest, most autistic shit ever uttered
>>
>>3416468
Learn your history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUYSN5aFcE
>>
>>3416492
So I'm right?

Wew.
>>
>>3416494
You watched a 20 minute video in 4 minutes?
No? You're just a retard?
Got it.
>>
>>3416502
I've already seen that video though. So I watched a 20 minute video in 20 minutes.
>>
File: smb contrast.jpg (29KB, 114x97px) Image search: [Google]
smb contrast.jpg
29KB, 114x97px
>>3415796
>It doesn't read well; the texture on the dirt is literally distracting because it has such high contrast.

You know it's really hard to take you people seriously when you say things that are actually objectively false. Like the original graphics better all you want, opinions are all good. But please, think before you say shit this retarded.
>>
>>3416772
Looks like shit, my famlamalam
>>
>>3416816
That's a perfectly valid opinion. But try saying it's distracting because it has too much contrast and I'm gonna laugh again.
>>
>>3416823
>he actually likes how the remake looks
>>
>>3416772
>I don't understand what contrast is
But hey, what the fuck do I know, I'm just a professional illustrator.
It's not like a two step value contrast on a repeating texture is really unacceptable if you're not trying to get the viewers eye or anything, and only work on a texture that has significantly less details.

Pic related; the contrast works a bit better on the left tiles because there's significantly less detail. But detail grabs the viewers eye. So, to reduce that, you decrease contrast when you still want to keep the detail.
>>
>>3417005
So am I. >>3415000
I think you're talking horseshit.

And I don't think the original looks bad, I just like the remake more and think saying it's bad because there's too much contrast is a ridiculous reason. Just own that people have different preferences.
>>
>>3417005
wait, are you saying that the old tiles had less contrast or that in the image those are less eye popping? both in the thumbnail and in the full image they are standing out a lot
>>
>>3417023
>>3415000
>I'm kind of crazy for detail overall though

I don't think you understand the difference between an illustrator, and artist, and a fine artist.

>>3417024
It's high contrast too, but it's an incredibly simple texture, your eyes just slide right off of it. There are literally only two distinct colors, whereas the stone feature a freaking gradient and hard edges mixed together.
>>
File: night gold cover.jpg (308KB, 700x536px) Image search: [Google]
night gold cover.jpg
308KB, 700x536px
>>3417029
>I don't think you understand the difference between an illustrator, and artist, and a fine artist.

Considering it's literally my profession, navigating between different types of visual art for different clients I would say you're wrong again.

I find it baffling that someone claiming to be a professional artist thinks that "your eyes just slide right off" the triangle pattern of the original. Say you like it better, fine that's all well and good. Say you like the abstract nature of it, awesome! But that's bullshit.
>>
>>3417043
The triangle pattern has literally no focal points.
>>
>>3417043
Also, gonna point out

>>3415796
>Looks like indiegame trash, honestly. It doesn't read well; the texture on the dirt is literally distracting because it has such high contrast.

I was saying the new one looked trashy. The old texture wasn't really that much better. Especially considering how the NES didn't like it.

I'm not one of the purists here, I'm mostly just saying the rock looks like trash because it's distracting.
>>
>>3417051
We're obviously not going to agree in any way. I see that high contrast two-tone pattern as far more distracting than the gradients and bumps they used to make the new texture. I honestly don't know how you can think that, but whatever. You clearly think the same thing of me.

Enjoy whatever you like, it doesn't matter. I don't even like these games in the first place so I really should just leave it be.
>>
>>3417054
>I'm not one of the purists here, I'm mostly just saying the rock looks like trash because it's distracting.

And that's cool, I think the other texture is more distracting. Saying you think it looks trashy is fair too, I do get that. It's not that the new graphics are amazing. I just like them a little better than the old graphics which I never liked a whole lot in the first place.

And with that I think I'm done with all this.
>>
>>3417061
>And with that I think I'm done with all this.

>I think I'm done
>So I'm going to announce to everyone I'm done
>Hey everyone I'm done
>>
God-tier remakes that actively improve on the source material:

Final Fantasy 4 DS
Metroid Zero Mission
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Resident Evil Remake

Search your feelings, you know it be true.
>>
>>3417079
Fire Red
Leaf Green
>>
File: Is this nigga serious.png (289KB, 386x394px) Image search: [Google]
Is this nigga serious.png
289KB, 386x394px
>>3415597
>I like that /vr/ has more sass to it now
Yeah I know what you mean.

I can't get enough of people talking about games they never played, the obsessive compulsive "Jrpg are shit" shitposter, the STG autists, the pretentious "conneusseurs" that talk about entire genres by virtue of having played two or three games at best, the friendly and totally rad /pol/ and /v/ crossposters, the ENG patch beggars, those fine lads who talk about how good a translation is without knowing the source language, the people who talk about "underrated" games like Chrono Trigger, Australia-kun and so much more.

Truly, /vr/ is much better now, who needed slow and civil threads about games, so boring.
>>3417079
>Final Fantasy 4 DS
>Those shitty lowpoly models and texture
>Those shitty redesigns
>That atrocious new music
Nah
>Resident Evil Remake
>Not nearly as uncanny and spoopy
>No Jill Sandwich
Nah, but I agree on Zero Mission and Ys:OiF.
>>
>>3417079
>Final Fantasy 4 DS
3*
>>
>>3417109
>Not nearly as uncanny and spoopy
huh?
>>
>>3417109
>/v/ crossposters

These are a myth. 99% of all complaints about people from /v/ are in fact /vr/ regulars. You're right on your other points though. It's strange browsing this site and paying attention to what time it is in Australia.
>>
>>3417115
3 DS is great too as a remake, but that's kind of liking dressing up a piece of shit.
>>
>>3417079
>>3417115
>>3417160
I didn't like the look of the 3D graphics all that much, would have much preferred a 2D drawn style, but I still really liked III.
>>
>>3417109
>>3417125
>Australia

nice meme fellas
>>
>>3417059
I find the old texture distracting, but in a good way. It looks gorgeous.
>>
>>3417105
Adding natures is never a good thing. Fuck gen 3 for creating that OCD-triggering mechanic.
>>
>>3417184
I'll grant natures weren't the greatest addition, but I still think overall they're better versions unless you're an autist that gets triggered by needing max IVs AND the best nature. Gen 1 was amazing, but kind of broken and the update is an improvement.
>>
>>3417210
I think the glitches were fun and the old graphics were more charming. The new graphics make the game look like a Ruby/Sapphire romhack.
>>
>>3417225
Well I also liked Ruby and Sapphire so I guess that didn't bother me.
>>
File: image.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4KB, 256x224px
The real shame of NiDL is that they couldn't recreate the tower. It was such a cool effect too.
>>
>>3415890
It looks more like some kind of stomach acid to me.
>>
>>3414347
As long as it looks appealing I'd rather they try something different than just do a 1:1 remake of the original. This kind of stuff only bothers me when the publisher goes out of their way to make it a hassle to get a copy of the original version but that really only happens with newer games like Metro Last Light.
>>
This was the only time OP was right, and yet people insulted him. There is no hope for this board.
>>
>>3415275
>ignoring jp mario 2 and ignoring the history of the creation of doki doki mario
>saying nothing about mario galaxy on the wii
>mario sunshine came out just a few years before nsmb
>ignoring mario 3d land
really, the biggest negative about the mario franchise is that whenever they do something new, which they still have done with each console (except wii u, as of yet) they aren't satisfied with just one game in the same spirit
it's more that they're shoveling out mario games, rather than them never doing anything new
>>
>>3415890
well, it's space, it's not necessarily lava
>>
>>3419064
Galaxy, Sunshine and 3D Land do have different styles and atmospheres, but all the classic enemies look exactly the same and the protagonist in all three games is that punchable "serious" Mario. >>3416089

I miss when Mario looked different in each game and wasn't always so angry and serious. In the older games he didn't even give a shit about the fact that Bowser had kidnapped the princess, he was just having a blast flying, jumping and killing things.
>>
>>3415878
You forgot the NTSC shader on the left one. You can't compare retro games with emulator screenies come on...
>>
>>3419114
All games will eventually have to be played in emulators. That's how they will look 200 years from now, after every old console has died, NIntendo has disappeared and every single Nintendo game has become abandonware. If a modern game looks like shit in emulators, it will forever look like shit when the original console no longer exists.
>>
>>3419080
>all three games is that punchable "serious" Mario

Sunshine maybe, but when does he seem angry in Galaxy1/2 or 3D Land/World?
>>
Pretty much all of them. Remakes are companies greedy enough to make the exact same game again and/or so-called "gamers" dumb enough to believe that you have to remake old games because old games aren't worth playing, which is stupid.
>>
File: G0cxGqx.jpg (209KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
G0cxGqx.jpg
209KB, 700x700px
>>3419168
It's not his attitude or facial expression, it's his face itself, his body shape and body language. Mario was a fun guy in the old artworks and games, but now he looks like he came from Super Smash Bros Brawl. He is way too edgy and "cool", he has this "I don't take shit from anyone" attitude. He doesn't even look chubby anymore. And all the modern games use the same design.

>pic related, this is the new Mario
>>
File: 0Avery.jpg (11KB, 215x242px) Image search: [Google]
0Avery.jpg
11KB, 215x242px
This is what Mario used to look like. A silly fat guy with an epic mustache.
>>
>>3419198
... Well, I guess I do have a problem with both his attitude and his facial expression. He lost his silliness. His voice is annoying as hell, too. At least in Mario 64 it fit the character because his model made him look like a fun guy. It doesn't fit modern Mario at all.
>>
File: g.jpg (182KB, 962x601px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
182KB, 962x601px
>>3414840
>>3414865
>>3414883
>>3415285
>>
>>3419260
That still doesn't explain why the pyramids look like that inside or why the caves look generic in the remake.
>>
File: lou.jpg (91KB, 1008x768px) Image search: [Google]
lou.jpg
91KB, 1008x768px
>>3419206
>>
>>3419273
maybe the pyramids had Red Glow Worms
>>
>>3419260
I prefer to think of them as stars. The idea of being in outer space in every "cave" level feels much more appealing and mysterious.
>>
>>3414840
>>3414865
>>3414913
>>3416772
>>3417005

You know, this kind of discussion only makes both games look worse than they are. Just saying.
>>
File: 1469695804205.jpg (10KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1469695804205.jpg
10KB, 320x320px
>>3415890
Maybe its not lava
>>
>>3414882
I love smb 3 and the nes version is way better and more beautiful
>>
The all stars versions of SMB1, SMB2: The lost levels and SMB3 change the physics too much. It's not that problematic in SMB3, but SMB1 and Lost Levels play like shit.

In the original games, you could hit bricks while running. The bricks would break without stopping you, because you bounced back down. But the new physics make it so you go through the bricks after breaking them, making you stop running. It's garbage.

The game looks nice, though. But I still prefer the look of the original. Big Mario looked badass.
>>
>>3419790
>
In the original games, you could hit bricks while running. The bricks would break without stopping you, because you bounced back down. But the new physics make it so you go through the bricks after breaking them, making you stop running. It's garbage.

Been fixed already by the community: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/
>>
>>3419802
How did they release the games like that, though? Didn't they realize how fucked the physics were?

I also remember that in Super Mario Bros Deluxe for GBC you could play the Lost Levels but they used the physics from the first game. That means that you couldn't bounce off enemies like in the original Lost Levels for the NES. What the fuck? I still beat it as a kid, but it was a ridiculous oversight.
>>
>>3419815
In SMAS's case, I don't know. Apparently it was a very minor error, though, just one wrong number in the code somewhere.

In SMBDX, I see it less as a serious inclusion of SMB2j and more of a bonus thing that they did just because they could and had the extra cartridge space. The DX version of SMB2j is missing more than just the correct physics; there are several other missing elements like wind and the bonus worlds past world 8. It was clearly just a bonus inclusion by way of straight-porting the stages into the original SMB engine and adding the necessary entities like poison mushrooms and red piranha plants.
>>
>>3419198
>>3419206
Mario will always be the best videogame character because of his mustache.
>>
>>3419278

I love how Lou appears in Cyndi's "girls just wanna have fun" video clip.
>>
>>3415275
I kinda want a pseudo 2D art style, maybe even HD sprites, for the next inevitable NSMB games. The new 3D artstyle of the 2D games is completely lacking in charm.
>>
>>3421565
Modern Nintendo would screw that up too.
Just look at Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADwo36tEJw

It seems very bland compared to the older one (and not just talking through nostalgia glasses).
>>
>>3421581
Actually you know what would be kinda cool? A proper kirby playformer built on the artstyle of that clay kirby puzzle game. I'd legit buy that
>>
>>3421584
That might be something they couldn't screw up because HAL would be working on it. They did pretty good (aesthetically) on the new rainbow curse for wiiu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdcdR1b4uaY
>>
Only good remakes I've ever played are REmake, La-mulana, and that's it.

Also, fuck MM3D.
>>
>>3419198
Mario was angry in the past too, though.
>>
>>3421660
I've never understood why his hair isn't the same color as his mustache. What are they even trying to tell us?
>>
>>3421690
My beard grows out as a different colour to my hair, don't question this shit.
>>
>>3421723
Are your pubes the same color as your hair or your beard?
>>
File: 250px-Supjer_Mario_Bros_2.jpg (41KB, 250x351px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Supjer_Mario_Bros_2.jpg
41KB, 250x351px
I miss fatass Mario too. They ruined both him and Pikachu in the Gamecube/GBA era.
>>
>>3417115
>>3417109
>waaah low poly models
meanwhile the gameplay fucking trumps the original and is one of the best of the whole mainline
>>
File: SMB1.jpg (105KB, 519x640px) Image search: [Google]
SMB1.jpg
105KB, 519x640px
Mario hasn't changed that much compared to many other game characters that go wildly redesigned (clear example is Sonic).

I think one of the things that changed Mario the most was Martinee's voice. I liked silent Mario better.
>>
>>3422398
It's still ugly as hell for no reason. The DS was powerful enough to handle the original graphics and even make the world 30 times larger, with lots of things to do and a much longer story. There was literally no reason to make it look so disgusting.
>>
>>3415275
Is no one going to point out that the New Super Mario Bros games are mislabeled?
I imagine on purpose, but still, no one noticed?
>>
>>3422412
Remember when the mushrooms looked like that? When did they stop changing their design and keep the same one forever? Nintendo is so boring now.

They were afraid of alienating the casuals, so they chose the blandest and safest art style for all the games since NSMB. We will never see these old artworks come to life in a new game.
>>
>>3422413
I mean, I don't understand why remakes never leave the graphics and music intact. They should just update the controls and fix the flaws of the original game, leaving more than enough room in the disc/cartridge to make the game massive and add tons of shit that the original didn't have. Why change the graphics at all? They are probably afraid it won't sell, but it's a shame.
>>
>>3415418
Nintendo's intent when making Doki Doki Panic wasn't making a Mario game, so I don't think it quite counts.
>>
>>3422436
It actually was conceived as a Mario game, they wanted to do more of a vertical scrolling platformer but it got shot down. They repurposed it into DDP then changed it back to a Mario game when SMB2 was deemed to samey for American audiences.
>>
>>3422426
Maybe the original graphics and music are what was flawed in the developers eyes. Hence the change.
>>
>>3422453
Fuck, well, then I guess it's a matter of when in development they made it into Doki Doki Panic instead of Mario.
Guess I'm not really qualified to say when that change was.
>>
>>3421581
Its designed to be more child friendly, though

Think of it like Yoshi: Pokemon XY Edition
>>
>>3422468
It's not even just child friendly part, it's everything seems dull. The terrain is mostly flat. The colors are dull and pastel. The music is like elevator music... only more boring.
It is the epitome of everything wrong with Nintendo.
>>
>>3414347

This image epitomizes why Nostalgia-fags are autistic.

When they "analyze" the original and the remake, they START with the conclusion that the original was better and then come up with reasons to justify it.

The 16-bit remake on GBA looked better, smoother, more colorful AND had better art-direction than the NES original, and he has to cherry-pick around that with fucking weird statements about how purple is dreamlike on the NES but not dreamlike on the GBA.
>>
File: Smug Papi's Mom.png (470KB, 759x924px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Papi's Mom.png
470KB, 759x924px
>>3415275

Super Mario Bros. 2 is only different because it wasn't a fucking Mario Bros. game to begin with, nig nog.
>>
>>3415275

SMB and SMB3 look different because SMB was released when computer programming was at prehistoric levels of convenience, and SMB3 was released when the NES was already in its death-throws and Nintendo had fucking mastered programming for that console.
Games released late in a console's life-cycle ALWAYS look better than the fucking launch-titles of that console.

And SMB2 looks different because it wasn't even a game in the Mario franchise.
>>
>>3415339

>The original Resident Evil is scarier than the remake because the creepy PS1 graphics have that uncanny valley vibe. PS1 and N64 games in general feel empty and desolate, which makes even non-horror games feel slightly creepy.

Completely fucking subjective. You are in the minority here.

Horror-games are heavily dependent on atmosphere and graphical realism. Better graphics, not worse graphics, contribute to both of these.
>>
>>3422515
Yeah, but what happened to New Super Mario Bros is like if Mario 3 looked just like Mario 1 and Japanese 2.
>>
>>3422515
>And SMB2 looks different because it wasn't even a game in the Mario franchise
>A Mario game
>Not in the Mario franchise
>>
>>3422529
Not him, but key word being WASN'T. Not ISN'T.
>>
>>3422529
>you keep using that meme pic, I do not think you know what it means.
>>
>>3421581
The new Yoshi games are total garbage, but I don't think the origjnal was much better. I always found it either boring or frustrating.

If you ignore every collectible and just try to get to the end, the game becomes incredibly easy and boring. You also feel like you are not really playing the game if you ignore all that stuff.

If you try to get a 100% in every level, the game becomes frustrating very fast. If you miss something, it feels awful. You have to do it all over again to get all the collectibles. And the problem with the game being a collectathon is that the levels are incredibly long, with loooong sections full of collectibles. There aren't enough checkpoints, and you spend too much time in each screen collecting all that crap. If you die or lose something after 10 minutes playing, you have to collect everything again. It feels awful.

There are also enemies that run away with red coins, never to be seen again. Doors that close forever if you accidentally enter them. Those situations force you to kill yourself because you just missed a ton of shit in the previous room or because that little bastard ran away with the coin. And if you kill yourself, you respawn in the last checkpoint and lose everything you found after that point. 10 long, frustrating, painful minutes down the drain. I hate it.

The gameplay is also very slow and boring. I think this slow pacing is fitting for a game that is all about collecting things, but the game punishes you for missing stuff and creates situations where you just have to kill yourself. Having to repeat everything again in such a slow game is terrible.

I can't have fun with this game no matter how I decide to play it. I've beaten the game twice and got 100% in all the levels (except the skii level because that one is fucking impossible to complete). Every single minute was painful. I didn't have any fun at all. Never again.
>>
>>3422539
How do you 100% something without doing something 100%?

Also, how do you play thru a game twice if it's so agonising?

That seems to be really fucking stupid on both accounts.
>>
>>3422539
Oh, the vehicles are also incredibly unfun to use. I groan every time I have to use one of these. Most of them control like shit, too.

>>3422552
I played it twice because I was bored at the time and kept hearing good things about it. I thought I had to give it another chance, but it was useless. I guess it's not for me.
>>
>>3422539
Haven't played any of the new ones, so I can't speak on their playability, but the only one that had a good asthetic to it was Yoshi's Wooly World.
That was a damn beautiful game.

I watched a few longplays of them all though and the only one with interesting level design was Wooly World as well. The other two were just so bland and boring.
>>
File: ffv_cutscene.png (799KB, 1282x752px) Image search: [Google]
ffv_cutscene.png
799KB, 1282x752px
>>
>>3421690
Facial hair and head hair are two different types. I don't remember the science behind it. The human body is weird.
>>
>>3422595
Bleh
>>
>>3422595
I find this hilarious. They managed to make both the portraits and the sprites look like absolute shit.
>>
>>3422595
LMAO
>>
A lot of people "complaining" about remakes here... Don't like? Don't play. Think of the dozens of games that a fan base would be thrilled to have a simple re-skin, FF7 being the obvious candidate.
>>
>>3422764
>Don't like? Don't play.

>>3415227
>>
>>3414849
>Kirby Super Star Ultra had such horrible controls
no
No
NO
But seriously no.
that game improved on everything except multiplayer.
>>
>>3422764
>a fan base would be thrilled to have a simple re-skin
I don't have a problem with that. What I don't like about remakes is that new fans mindlessly decide to play them without touching the original game, even if the remake is garbage. Then, they complain that the game isn't as good as people say.

And if they like the game, they try to discuss it with fans of the original and it's a mess because they are talking about completely different games but the remakefags don't see the problem.

There are also people with shit taste that recommend the remake to newcomers even if it's mediocre. They are ruining their first experience with the game.
>>
>>3422764
Meanwhile, the original games are replaced by the new games in the minds of nugamers, the time taken to redo an old game wastes time and energy by developers when they could be making something new, innovative, and fresh like the old game probably was, and we wouldn't have to have some "close" copy of the old game that probably sucks in many ways.

It's not just about not liking it, remakes are detrimental to gaming and you shouldn't stand for it.
>>
>>3414902
The only thing GBA has on NES is saving. But, it's really easy to find a battery backup patch.
>>
>>3415275
NSMB for the DS was actually really good, I don't know why it feels so much better than the later games. It's like it has soul, while the later games don't.
>>
>>3415347
Klonoa is the best 2D platformer of the 5th generation tho

btw is the wii remake good
>>
>>3415878
Kirby Super Star Ultra is a very good example of a remake done right. Yes, even the graphics are better.
>>
>>3422794
Why would you want to save anyway? You can go anywhere as soon as you get the flutes in 1-3 and 1-castle. I think being able to repeat levels is a better feature.

>>3422804
It's the worst of them all, but at the same time it's the only one I like. The art style is just as bad as in the sequels, though. But the multiplayer is a blast, especially that level with the blue turtle. I used to play with my brother and we would try to kill each other. When someone got the turtle suit and started running, he was almost unstoppable. The turtle suit is literally the only good thing that ever came out of the NSMB series..
>>
>>3422814
>But the multiplayer is a blast,
Agreed 100% It was flawed but so fucking fun. I wish they would have improved on that in later games.
>>
>>3422814
>Why would you want to save anyway? You can go anywhere as soon as you get the flutes in 1-3 and 1-castle. I think being able to repeat levels is a better feature.
Good points. I was trying to find a "replay levels" hack with no luck, but the feature is used in other hacks so I bet it exists somewhere.
>>
>>3414347
This is literally the definition of a good remake besides a few niggling details, like the butter building substitute they did, it completely conveys the original vibe using a higher fidelity version.

I've played both these games dozens of times.
>>
>>3422818
My biggest problem is that the physics feel kinda weird.
>>
>>3422804
NSMB felt like such a step back after Mario World.
Replacing the large overworld with 8 individual worlds was so stupid.
Then removing the flight and yoshi made the levels much less fun.

I get that they were trying to regress back to the OG Mario Bros, but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

I do agree with >>3422814 though. The turtle suit was amazing and fun. So naturally it couldn't appear in any further games.
>>
>>3422824
>>3422814
I think there's a couple reasons why I like it:
1. Movement feels really good. It's super fun to speedrun levels. The later games feel sluggish for some reason. I like the footstep sound.
2. Some uniqueness. This game has original bosses, unlike the later games that just reuse Koopalings. Also some really cool locations, such as the hellish world 8 with the birds. And what the fuck are those water bug things?
3. Secrets. 2 whole worlds are secret.
4. Multiplayer. Fucking fun. This game is so much more fun in general than the later games.

Not as good as SMW, but not as fucking soulless, empty, and boring as the later games.
>>
>>3415297
>>3415325

I find that this is a common complaint with people who play Metroid, but I find that it's not really the case at all. If anything, the low health start is designed primarily to punish players who charge recklessly into the game without a plan. You need to take the game more slowly, and more importantly realize that sometimes you're dying a lot because you shouldn't be where you are with what you have. Try to go at it with the expectation that the game will punish you for poor playing, but on top of that the game will guide you away from areas where you shouldn't be yet. Sort of like Zelda 1, certain dungeons will just fuck you up until you get the right stuff to get through.

Of course you can also charge through the game without the right gear, assuming you're a master player, but it's pretty unforgiving of such attempts.
>>
>>3422841
agreed, I actually did like NSMB DS. The sequel on Wii had an okay basis for existence since it was the first ever co-op mario, but I was convinced by that point that NSMB was done and figured that Nintendo realized the same thing. Oh how wrong I was.
>>
>>3417079
DQ3 on SNES
>>
File: 1467925473147.jpg (101KB, 513x486px) Image search: [Google]
1467925473147.jpg
101KB, 513x486px
>>3422562
Hearing good things about a game you already played and hated? You knew what it was already

What?
>>
For the original SMB, I have no real preference between the NES and Super-NES editions. Same goes for SMB2.

For SMB3, however, I definitely prefer the NES version, for mostly one single reason: The music in the NES version has some very nice emulation of congo drums, especially the levels that use the music from World 1-2 of the original SMB. The same tunes in the Super-NES version are bland and uninteresting by comparison. Probably the only instance where the NES beats the Super-NES in music, at least for me.
>>
>>3414865
I strongly dislike the art direction in All-Stars. The graphics are uninspired rehashes of the originals, with little effort taken to the console's strengths. Same for the music - largely identical orchestrations pasted over bland instruments. I understand the reason for the collection is to offer the classic titles on a new platform, but it tastes like a tv dinner. The NES originals, though not very fancy given their time and technical constraints, taste like a carefully prepared hamburger. Nothing fancy, but done so well.

If I may say so, "All-Stars" lacks soul, lacks devotion, lacks meaning. It is technically sound, but feels second rate.

The only way this could have been avoided IMO, and "All-Stars" could have found a true voice to sing, would have been to refocus this project as an ambitious "remix" of all previous games, with stuff moved around and important additions added in. But the beans counters could hardly have justified such an idea. Why invest so much when a simple port + new layer of paint would suffice to bring the dollars in?
>>
Mario Bros is cute! CUTE! His mustache is amazing!
>>
>>3414857
???

He has a blank stare in the OP's pic too, what are you talking about?
>>
>>3422418
That's Western art. All Mario stuff pretty much looked the same in Japan.
>>
>>3424698
He has cute anime eyes.
>>
>>3423915
>>3423906
Autism Speaks ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>3422848
I don't even attempt at talking to retards that say that anymore, they are as bad as the one who complain about starting back from the temple when you game over in zelda 2.
Don't play like a moron and you won't be punished for it.
>>
>>3422562
How the fuck does someone else influence you into thinking a game is good when you already finished and said you hated it.

Either you are that young or that dumb. Which one is it?
>>
>>3415286
>4chan
>"don't be a prick"
Good luck fellow
>>
I do love the surrealness in the left pic. I didn't notice the change, but I did overall like the original better.
>>
>>3424891
>ha wow this 4chan website sure is rude XD
>>
>>3424886
Everyone said it was a great game and I thought it was a fucking piece of shit with no redeemable qualities. I thought I was playing it wrong or something.
>>
>>3424176
>Luigi did you lay this egg?
>>
>>3422804
Because they had original bosses instead of just bringing back the koopalings to have the same boss over and over
>>
>>3425157
It is a 2d platformer the only way you could possibly play it "wrong" is to not jump or something. If you already 100% it and hated it then you played it right.
Just admit you are to stupid to form your own opinion unless someone spoonfeeds it to you.

In another few months we will have this same thread and you're gonna be making the same complaint but saying how you finished it three times for the exact same reason.
>>
>>3425583
>I wonder what it smells like
>>
>>3416071
>>3416084

The grass looks more natural on a DS Lite due to the green-ness of the screen.

I agree that the dry grass looks fuckin horrible on a DSi
>>
>>3424818
>Add one white pixel for eyeball shine
>Suddenly anime
>>
>feelerino when Mario took over the Kirby thread
>>
>>3426605
He had "Adventure Time eyes". Adding that one pixel turned them into anime eyes, making Kirby look way too "kawaii" and cute. Fuck that.
>>
File: R5UMudC.jpg (541KB, 1630x668px) Image search: [Google]
R5UMudC.jpg
541KB, 1630x668px
>>3426681
This is now a Donkey Kong thread.
>>
>>3426695
Kiddy Kong was a mistake. On the other hand, it was Dixie's game. She couldn't have DK as her partner because he would have stolen the spotlight.
>>
File: killyourselfcranky.png (476KB, 574x413px) Image search: [Google]
killyourselfcranky.png
476KB, 574x413px
>>3422539
>>
>>3423915
>If I may say so, "All-Stars" lacks soul, lacks devotion, lacks meaning. It is technically sound, but feels second rate.

This genuinely made me laugh.
>>
>>3415339
i don't agree.
if silent hill had a remake that made everything look like 2 & 3 and you were talking about that, then i'd probably agree.
everything that would usually bring down any other game just manages to make silent hill 1 greater somehow
>>
>>3416150
a lot of things in the remake disappointed me, turning the high-tech satellite into a flying castle was definitely one of them.
>>
>>3414347
what kind of fucking retarded autist made that comparison pic
>>
>>3422539
I agree. That game made me hate the character.
>>
>>3422539
Did you ever consider just playing it for fun, exploring where you go and collecting what you find? More fun than just rushing to the end ignoring everything, but not frustrating because you are forcing yourself to 100% everything all the time. It also gives you more to do on subsequent playthroughs if you feel like revisiting the game.

It honestly sounds like your problem with the game is that you have OCD or something similar and force yourself to play it in a way that sucks all the fun out of the experience.

But you also played a game you hate to completion twice... so you may have worse problems than just OCD.
>>
>>3416071
That's a still. In motion the DS version is way better. The original is almost unplayable in comparison.
>>
>>3417079
>FFIV DS
>augments are an important mechanic and yet the most trial and error shit ever
>best augments result from giving shit to temporary party members, which goes against all reason

Still a solid remake but the augments are not handled well at all.

I like GBA/PSP versions for the extra party members
>>
The shittiness of this remake seriously nearly broke my heart. One of my favorite 16 bit rpgs of all time gets a remake and it's worse in just about every way.
>>
>>3428469
Just be glad you never played the DS version
>>
>>3428527
Do you mean Lunar: Dragon Song? Sadly I have. that thing is so terrible it makes the EB port look great by comparison.
>>
>>3428527
>>3428535
Never played Dragon Song. Is it a remake of Lunar 1 or 2 or something?
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>3428545
It's a remake of Lunar 1, and it's probably the single worst remake of all time, hands down. uncontested.
>>
>>3414760
>I also thoroughly enjoyed the Castle of Illusion remake
dear god how? it took all the charm from the original game and turned it into a generic 3D platformer

Ducktales, now that was a remake/remaster done well. New Castle of illusion was awful and the sms/md game is one of my favourites from all time
>>
File: lunleg0808.jpg (75KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
lunleg0808.jpg
75KB, 500x488px
>>3428548
Are you thinking of Lunar Legend, the GBA remake of Lunar 1? That's pretty awful as well. But nowhere near Dragon Song bad.

>>3428535
It's a prequel to the other Lunar Games, other than that feels like it has little connection to them. It's just really bad, terrible story, really bad combat and a chore all around to play.

It seems like after the original Lunar 2, a GameArts went through a lot of changes and they never really got good again.
>>
>>3419064
>ignoring mario 3d land
that doesnt help your argument seeing as 3D land is the new NSMB to nintendo now
>>
>>3414357

The problem with advanced graphics is that old games lose their abstraction because that abstraction was there to cover over bad graphics that no longer exist.
>>
>>3428564
>someone told me Lunar Legend was the best version of Lunar 1 so I played it

i was bamboozled. They weren't lying, but they sure were wrong.
>>
>>3428657
Ouch. I will say that at least the translation isn't full of Vic Ireland's terrible sense of humor, but it's still awful.
>>
>>3422595
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.