[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HoMM/Might and Magic thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 83

File: Eye of the Eagle.png (2MB, 1920x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Eye of the Eagle.png
2MB, 1920x1019px
Astrologers proclaim the week of the Eagle.

Old thread: >>3398948

http://pastebin.com/6G9B1cMA
>>
>>3413202
U S A
>>
File: TankConceptArt.jpg (63KB, 594x640px) Image search: [Google]
TankConceptArt.jpg
63KB, 594x640px
>>3413241
>they cut out the USA faction from HoMM3
wtf i hate NWC now
>>
Looks like a turd.
>>
>>3413247
What is the most american town in the game right now, /vr/?
>>
>>3413291
The black hole gives me goatse vibes.
>>
File: Creature_Royal_Griffin.gif (6KB, 81x95px) Image search: [Google]
Creature_Royal_Griffin.gif
6KB, 81x95px
>>3413296
Castle
>>
File: forgetown.jpg (107KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
forgetown.jpg
107KB, 800x600px
>We did have some debate about what visual form this technology would take. I advocated more of a Jules Verne glass-and-brass look; others wanted a WWII look. While we were still in the conceptual phase, our Marketing department said they needed whatever artwork we had.
>Jules Verne glass-and-brass look

That would be exellent. Too bad they went full retard
>>
>>3413379
should've redesigned it instead of cutting the whole thing
>>
>>3413379
This concept looks horribly clashing. Glowing high-tech urban stuff next to rusty industrial stuff. If they axed the one or the other, it'd probably look decent.

Also problem with the steampunk aesthetic is that Forge isn't lorewise, it's balls to the wall future tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUbLlXHMPoI
>>
File: 15102820071413.png (477KB, 819x627px) Image search: [Google]
15102820071413.png
477KB, 819x627px
>>3413496
You're right it would have looked better if they went all out one way or the other. The new VCMI forge units look more high tech though and fit better.
>>
>>3413496
Funny thing is that this crashed spaceship that you find in mm7 is actually the one which the party of adventurers sent by corak used to chase Sheltem before. They somehow crashed to enroth.
>>
>>3413301
Castle is European.
>>
>>3413853
Mosque*
>>
File: 1358916074697.gif (164KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1358916074697.gif
164KB, 245x180px
>mfw creating skeleton horde for the first time
Getting one stack up to 100 is the hard part.
Then the rest just sorta spawns on you.
>>
—Dude, why do you have a portrait of Ingham in your house?

—Y-you don't understand…
>>
On my second run through MMVII. It was going really smooth, until the "war" quests between Tularean Forest and Erathia. Getting kinda annoyed of shuttling between castles. Really annoying part…
>>
>>3414779
the first time I got there I didn't notice his eyes until later when I turned around just next to it. really gave me a spook.
>>
>>3414805
Now here's one interesting fact: in H3, all but 2 clerics start with water magic spells, like Bless, Frost Ring and so on. The first exception from this pattern is Rion, but he starts with Stone Skin—another obviously "good"-aligned spell.

And the second is Ingham, he starts with… Curse. Coincidence?
>>
>>3414781
Remember Grayface adds a double speed button. It's a lifesafer when you need to backtrack long distances.
>>
File: eotg.png (1MB, 1920x1018px) Image search: [Google]
eotg.png
1MB, 1920x1018px
I made undergrounds shaped like the mysticism skill with the only well.
>>
>>3414779
>that party lineup
Are you attempting to do all might no magic run, or third guy is dedicated caster?
>>
Is it possible to play a full lich run in MM7?
>>
>>3415475
if you have 4 sorcerers
>>
>>3415475
Yes, but expect a rough start. Sorcerer only party is very expensive (pay for levels, pay for gear, pay for spells) and you need to pick up a lot of skill points to distribute them among gorillion different useful skills (think about grinding gold on goblins near Harmondale and grinding skillpoints by picking horseshoes from stables around the world), but once you can nuke evrything from a distance, it's a smooth sailing. Just mind the cramped dungeons and locations (like Barrow Mound crypts), where tons of enemies can easily close the distance. Also, be careful with opening chests and lockets, low HP among all four characters in your party = high chance of trap instakilling everyone.
>>
>>3415591
Playing without cleric must be a real pain the ass. No heal no bless
>>
>>3415804
It's pretty obvious that while doing single job challenge (or even single character challenge), no one expects you to speedrun. You have to stock up on food in every tavern and take you sweet time with camping every five steps. It is still very unlikely that game will take so long that your party starts taking negative effects from aging.
>>
>>3415475
>>3415804
Since you have liches, you have no hp. This means you can potion whore for healing the whole game.

The biggest problem is no instagib protection. I've run solo Lich before and it gets REALLY annoying at times when even an unlucky ghost attack will wipe you.
>>
I've got spirit and mind magic on my paladin right now in might and magic 6. Any good area of effect spells for him? I pretty much only use melee with him at the moment and I feel he is being underutilized.
>>
>>3415889
Nope, he's a heal/blessbot with melee damage. Spirit is ok for Bless and Heroism, but mind is basically useless aside from the occasional Telekinesis (which only takes skill 1) and some cure spells. Dump all your magic into body and expect to use cure wounds and power cure as his main spells.
>>
>>3415910
I've got a cleric too. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>3415913
No, later on you will need 2 healers. Some of the rooms will have 30+ enemies attacking you at once.
>>
>>3415915
I noticed
>>
>>3415915
It depends on how you handle them. If you want to wade in swords blazing, you'll need more healing and heavier armor. You'll also clear things out faster and be more resistant to mistakes and surprises.
Hit and run and drawing clumps of enemies in small bundles is needed to get a magic heavy party to survive (or massive overleveling, that works too) but eliminates most of the need for dedicated healers.
>>
>>3415923
Or better yet have a caster heavy party and go in guns blazing with Shrapmetal or Dragon Breath on everything and laugh.
>>
>>3415927
4sorc has no business being as horrifyingly effective as it is.
>>
>>3415930
I prefer CCSS just because the healing makes it even more faceroll.
>>
>>3415934
I'm not fond of clerics just because my plan is always to get Master Air for Fly and Starburst online as quickly as possible and go farm hydras, then use that loot to get Meteor Shower on everyone and start clearing titans and dragons. Anybody who doesn't have elemental magic is just dead weight until I'm done farming.
>>
>>3415969
I tend to avoid overleveling because it takes too much of the gameplay out.

1 character + all horseshoes to get master water
1 character up in air
1 character up in body
1 character to expert body then crank secondary skills.

Once you get master water the whole game completely changes.
>>
Why martial classes are bad in M&M 6-7? I love my knights and barbarians slashing through hordes of monster like butter.
>>
>>3416024
Weapons don't scale for shit and are far too slow. When armsmaster was added in MM7 pure melee classes started doing fine. KKCS is a very powerful team, especially light side.
>>
>>3416024
>>3416024
It's really just 6 this is a problem in. The early games had attacks/round based on class. 7-8 had armsmaster and "of armsmaster" that you could enchant.
>>
>>3416053
I played mm6 with two knights an archer and a cleric. Never had trouble in game.
>>
>>3416056
You can beat it either way, but It's far easier late if you are caster heavy. The damage scaling of Shrapmetal is absurd.
>>
>>3415001
Thanks I forgot that. I wonder if I can find Town Portal scrolls anywhere yet, or Fly.

>>3415470
2 Monks, a Sorcerer and a Cleric

>>3416032
Don't forget Armsmaster gives its basic and expert level benefits to unarmed characters too.
>>
https://youtu.be/vdEXBJ3P9Bg
>>
https://youtu.be/_ck7GrvokLY
>>
To those who beat M&MVII: what was your way to get through the infamous tunnel from Nighon to Eofol?

More importantly: is it me, or many Behemoths in it are placed at some glitchy spots where you can hit them but they can't hit you?
>>
>>3413115
There's already a campaign where you need eagle eye. I forgot the title but it's on maps4heroes and popular
>>
>>3416545
If that's the one I'm thinking about (Eternal Love) I've played it recently and the first scenario is basically one long gauntlet of stationary heroes that immediately teach you all the eagle-eyeable spells in the game. The rest of the campaign is supposedly nice, but there are better ways you could make eagle eye useful
>>
>>3415470
> implying starting race really means anything in mm7
>>
>>3416764
you can't made good Goblin sorcerer and a good elf knight
>>
>>3416790
Really? Why?
>>
>>3416821
goblins need 2 points for one int point and elves 2 points for one might point
>>
>>3416825
yeah but this only applies at character creation. between wells, stat upgrades from items, and hour of power (if you go light), initial stats mean basically nothing outside the first couple dungeons
>>
>>3416868
day of the gods I mean
>>
>>3416868
yeah but they playing them as low levels are pain in the ass and they will never be as good as other races
>>
File: nagaanim.gif (1MB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
nagaanim.gif
1MB, 256x256px
>>3413768
>>3413247
Needs more nagatanks with tits
>>
File: 1411596554451.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1411596554451.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>3416893
nice
>>
What new towns would you like to see, in a hypothetical 8th game or mod for III? With units and other flavor if you're autistic/chuuni enough like me

I was thinking about a Japanese-flavored town, not anime-tier like the naga town from VI though. After all the other games have ninjas in them and they had to come from somewhere, so it could even be justified in-setting. Ninjas themselves could be level 3-4 units with no retaliation and 100% chance to kill 1 unit (weaker but more reliable mighty gorgons basically)
>>
>>3417592
Does every game really need east asian representation? And east asian fantasy is pretty weak compared to western imo.
>>
>>3417620
One of the high council members of MM6 is an old asian lady. Does that count as representation?
>>
>>3417620
>>3417626
>>
>>3417639
even the nips know western steel is superior
>>
>>3416540
>To those who beat M&MVII: what was your way to get through the infamous tunnel from Nighon to Eofol?
There are two basic ways to do it:
1) Abuse the choke points and get the behemoth stuck. Use paralyze as necessary. As long as you limit your enemies to 1 ancient at a time you should be able to play relatively normally.
2) Shrapmetal. Lots and lots of Shrapmetal.

Once you get out of the first couple rooms they aren't hard at all.

>More importantly: is it me, or many Behemoths in it are placed at some glitchy spots where you can hit them but they can't hit you?
Yes, this is normal. They are stacked like mad at the front of the tunnels to stop (or attempt to) you from using invisibility to skip the whole place. Once you get out of the first main hallway there really isn't a place where they are anything more than an annoyance.
>>
>>3417592
I've toyed with Japanese mythology themed town idea too. What they did in VI was wrong mostly because of mixing the town with elf flovours that do not really fit, as well as bringing Blizzard - style aesthetics. Following your idea, lineup could look like this:

level 1: Kodama / Yamabiko. Flying, moderate speed and damage, high attack, low defense. Special ability gained after upgrade: casts misfortune on opponent that attacks it.

level 2: Tengu / Daitengu. Flying, good speed (covers whole battlefield when under haste) and defense, low damage and attack. Upgraded form strikes twice.

level 3: Kappa / Kappa sage. Water magic immunity, low speed and attack, moderate damage, high defense and hitpoints. Having upgraded form in army allows hero to traverse swamps with no movement penalty.

level 4: Ninja Spy / Ninja Assassin. No retaliation, high speed and damage, moderate attack and hitpoints, low defense. Upgraded form has trait described by anon above (basically what level 3 Cove units have, but less overpowered as placed on melee unit).

level 5: Kumiho / Kitsune. Ranged, no melee penalty, good defense, moderate speed and damage, low attack and hitpoints. Upgraded form allows hero to regenerates two extra mana points every turn (effext does not stack by splitting unit into several slots).

level 6: Yurei / Onryo. Undead, but does not cause morale penalty. good hitpoints and damage, moderate speed and attack, low speed. Upgraded form casts Disrupting Ray on attack.

level 7: Oni / Horned Oni. Earth magic immunity, regeneration, good attack and damage, moderate defense, low hitpoints and speed. Upgraded form ignores 50% of opponent's defense.

>>3417620
It's not that every game needs to have weeb themes, it's just that HoMM I - III feature creatures grouped slightly more by the region and culture that they came from, rather than by fantasy cliches, so having East Asian - themed town (as well as Egyptian, Indian, Persian...) wouldn't stick out.
>>
>>3417740
>ninja
Fuck no, keep this cancer out of Heroes. I don't mind asian mythology but ninjas have become the symbol of childish stupidity and edginess. I'd much prefer shogun and/or samurai if you really need a human troop.

Also, "ninja assassin" sounds ridiculous if you know the origin of those two words.
>>
>>3417740
That's actually a lot like my ideas, down to water-immune kappas. Except my idea was more human-centric. Instead of Kitsune there would be some sort of Komuso Monk who applies Disrupting Ray on attack. I also thought of a Ronin/Samurai unit, roughly equal to Swordsmen/Crusaders, but with a First Strike ability instead of Double Strike (they hit first even when attacked, like Nomads from IV).

I also thought of giving them a human archer of sorts, that has one attack but a chance to attack without penalty and as if under the effect of advanced Precision (thus weaker than Marksmen most of the time, but with a chance to deal even more damage). Not sure about the flavor though, more of a general idea.

Earth/Water town with Swamp native terrain I guess? Heroes are Daimyo (3/1/1/1) and Geomancer (1/0/2/2) or something.

I love your ideas though. Especially the idea of every other unit having debuffs on attack, which fits nicely with the theme of folklore spirits fucking with humans. And goddamn, don't make me start thinking of an Egyptian-themed town...
>>
>>3417765
>>3417639
>>
>>3417765
I just wanted to play into previous anon's idea, I'd rather see samurai or another mythological being too. I agree that nowadays any attempt at putting nijas in games is instantly met with accusations of pandering to narutards. Also, I'm aware in how redundant does that combination sounds, but: 1) It was to emhasize that most ninjas were trained in spy and undercover missions, and only few in assassinations and guerilla warfare, 2) It is sort of custom to randomly drop "Kings", "Queens", "Greats" and "Mighties" in upgraded monster names (not to mention fuckups like designing Catoblepas and calling it 'Gorgon', then designing Gorgon and calling it 'Medusa'. I get it that Medusa was one of the Gorgons, but it's like calling upgraded angels 'Metatrons' or something like that).
>>
>>3417794
The older Might and Magic games had katanas and shit so I don't see why this wouldn't work although then the setting would feel a bit derivative of warhammer fantasy with all these straight ports of cultures. Hell there's an entire "empire" of pirates on Enroth.
>>
File: cOn9NRG.png (148KB, 341x405px) Image search: [Google]
cOn9NRG.png
148KB, 341x405px
>>3417787
>I also thought of giving them a human archer of sorts
The problem isexactly the fact that we already have an unit that i a human with a bow. Adding another human with a bow that happens to be dressed slightly different would be somewhat boring. Also, while Japan appreciated art of archery and had some skillful masters, their traditional bows are nothing to write home about in terms of quality and durability. I guess that if we strive for something new, we could expand our Asian borders a little bit and borrow Chu Ko Nu for our exotic human shooter. He could also easily fit your description of unique skill.

>Earth/Water town with Swamp native terrain I guess?
I thought about making native terrain grass/dirt, so that terrain quirk of Kappa would be somewhat more useful. Not to mention that Kappas would become somewhat desirable units by other factions under specific circumstances (i.e. player calculating if he wants to trade a bit of his movement points by taking along slow unit for traveling through swamp-heavy map without penalties.

All in all, there should be more unique creature skills that double for useless artifacts or hero skills, by principle of "if it does not waste an artifact or skill slot, why not?". In example, your Komuso Monk could be able to cast Cure and/or Dispel on friendly units by playing flute. Or act like an Eagle Eye expert and teach your hero spells used in battle by opponent.
>>
Talking about M&MVII, it's the first RPG I've played which really encourages completing quests with experience. By comparison, grinding doesn't give you half as much; completing one quest almost surely gives you a new lvl or two.

It's especially cool because even if some quest is not necessary for party/plot advancement, it's nevertheless very desirable to complete. Right now I don't have rangers or druids in my party, but I've beat a few of their quests and got a shitton of experience, with great items found along the way.
>>
>>3418334
I'm a fan of that and how the loot works. I never feel like I'm just getting randomly generated loot because there's lots of quality and unique stuff in the mix and everything has a nice description attached to it.
>>
File: edric.jpg (5KB, 58x64px) Image search: [Google]
edric.jpg
5KB, 58x64px
>>3417592
>>3417740
Remember that towns in homm series are multiculti so it can't just be japan town lol, need to mix with some other mythologies to ballance
>>
"I'm not sure I understood them correctly when they said the house had a great waterfront view from every window"
>>
>>3418393
>No npcs

Why?
>>
>>3418342
This too. There are many things to like about MMVI–VIII really which the games don't get enough credit for, in my opinion. Just a few to mention:

—Very few purely linear/scripted events, you can get very far very early if you're good and know what to do. Almost no roadblocks like "do this or you're stuck here forever"—and even then they are pretty easy to pass and not very bothersome. Compared to games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, it feels like a breath of fresh air.

—Really intuitive inventory management/character dressing system

—Enemy elemental weaknesses you can exploit (and protection spells to not let them exploit yours)

—Alchemy which can cover a lot of buffs/healing if you're good enough (e.g. water breathing)

—Merchant skill, which paired with good reputation allows to turn huge profit from things you don't need

—Ability to equip everyone with bows without wasting anything really

—Auto log for all important things: master/grandmaster teacher locations, potion combinations, quests, and so on

—Last but not least: Fly spell. I think it deserves its own mention because it makes exploration just so much more pleasant.
>>
>>3418434
I never learned much about them. I wish I had someone with Perception though.

Also, I already have a Sorcerer with Invisibility–Fly–Town Portal, a Monk with Disarm Trap on Expert (getting Master soon), and a Cleric to cover up all healing/buffs. I even have Identify Item/Monster on master and Merchant too.

Tell me, what do I miss? It's my second run btw.
>>
>>3418450
teacher can give you +15% to exp
>>
>>3418462
Shit, missed a lot of exp it seems. Well, alright. Any other useful ones?
>>
>>3418496
Scholar can give unlimited item identify + 5% exp
Others are pretty useless
>>
>>3418496
Also be careful you need to hire instructor that costs 700 gold there are cheaper ones with less bonus
>>
>>3418504
Ah shit, didn't have to waste points on Identify skills I guess. Oh well

Do you know how they get their cut of gold? If I sell something, do they get their chunk too, or only from the gold piles I find? I'm really greedy
>>
>>3418535
only found gold
>>
>>3418386
sure, let's get all the politically correct sjw shit into Heroes. just what games need, right?

/pol/ rant over.
>>
File: 1463347513637.png (39KB, 209x150px) Image search: [Google]
1463347513637.png
39KB, 209x150px
>>3418542
but towns in homm are multiculti, greek mythology with celtic mythology etc plus D&D stuff
>>
>>3417592
Fuck this human shit !
I want a tribe of 80s monster with psychos, killer toys and clowns and ayyliens.
I'd like some ICE themed town too, with huge fluffy beast and weird landfish.
A mexican/mayan theme town would be cool too, with pyramids, blood stuff and jaguar warriors.
>>
File: Screen-3.jpg (205KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Screen-3.jpg
205KB, 800x600px
>>3418553
Does that seriously bother you?

>>3418581
I think the HotA guys are working on #2 at least
>>
>>3418717
That thing was made what, 8 years ago when those HotA guys first unveiled their mod? This faction probably doesn't even exist now.
>>
>>3418717
> lvl 4
> literally a mountain goat

> lvl 6
> a hybrid of a mammoth and a rhino

> lvl 7
> wat
>>
>>3418727
Fortress has a tier 3 that is literally a dragonfly.
>>
>>3418732
If it was literally a dragonfly, it would be the size of a dragonfly. It's a mix of the latter and a dragon/serpent.

Notice that no other faction in the game has just ordinary real life creatures as units, except for Castle obviously. That's why I don't see how a mountain goat could be in the game.
>>
>>3418741
>Notice that no other faction in the game has just ordinary real life creatures as units, except for Castle obviously.
Damn, didn't know we had Griffons flying around in the world.
>>
File: iron-maiden_powerslave.png (515KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
iron-maiden_powerslave.png
515KB, 500x500px
>>3417592
You know, it might require some changes to the other factions, but I wish there was a desert town.

There's a town for every terrain type except desert. How come? I think some units would fit there nicely—I'm talking about Mummies and Nomads. Maybe even give them Gold Golems and tell they were animated by desert Magi from Bracada. I think they could also have some Anubis-like creatures, Sphinxes or Lamassu too.

The rest varies. Maybe, since Heroes style is eclectic, add some cacti-like creatures to give a break from all the white/tan in the palette. Or just add creatures from other mythologies.
>>
>>3418724
That's sad regards, sadfrogs

>>3418727
Level 7 is a Wendigo
>>
>>3418748
I meant "just" as "simply", not "only". Should've used a different word
>>
>>3418761
> Level 7 is a Wendigo
Isn't wendigo supposed to be look like a ghoul? Also, isn't he more like a Necro creature?
>>
>>3418767
Think yeti, but can have some magical powers.
>>
>>3418753
>cacti-like
The fuck m8?

Some egyptian mythology would be great, though. Sphinx, Ammit (a mix of a hippo, lion and croc that eats souls of the dead) and Apophis (personification of chaos as a gigantic snake) come to mind. Mesopotamian mythos could be exploited too.
>>
File: Ammitpapyrus.jpg (12KB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
Ammitpapyrus.jpg
12KB, 250x233px
>>3418781
Ammit looks so cute. Such adorable tiny back legs and a cunning crocodile smile. It's like he's asking, "feed legs please".

As for cacti, it's just to bring variety, to follow with Heroes' tradition to mix mythologies. Say, Kreegans somehow have both Devils and Efreeti. Tower has Genies and Gargoyles. No faction follows strict regional/national/religious theme. Also, I remember there was an adventure map sprite for cacti. So, something like cacti dendroids is possible I guess
>>
>>3418778
Um, really? Well, from quick googling, I see basically 2 different depictions:

1) a humanoid deer ghoul
2) just a basic ghoul.

Not a single one depicts wendigo as anything like from that HotA picture. If anything, these guys should be all chaos.
>>
>>3418804
Popular culture kinda deluded the idea of a wendigo, I've seen it conflated with "yeti but more mystical" quite a few times. Yeah in the original myth wendigos were hungry cannibalistic skeletons who summoned blizzards (the deer heads are also a modern asspull, btw) but it's not like HoMM III is very accurate in depicting traditional mythology in the first place.
>>
>>3418832
>diluted*
>>
>>3418832
Yeah, but in that HotA pic it looks like a lawful good creature… That's just kinda absurd. They paint it as some yeti dwarf-like warriors, with well-made armor and all that. That's some WoW-tier bullshit.

> but it's not like HoMM III is very accurate in depicting traditional mythology in the first place.
Well IMO by pop culture standards it's actually more or less decent. They don't pull that much out of their asses. When they did take some obscure creatures, they usually took cool ones like Nagas or Efreeti.

Compared to Heroes VII, HoMMIII wasn't half bad when it came to units. To me, what really raised questions was the mixing of cultures/lores, but that was the whole schtick of M&M—mix everything from minotaurs and nagas to ninjas and sci-fi in one universe.
>>
>>3418717
>no flying unit
>everything slow as shit
Jeebus, but I'd like to play it since I like HotA.
>>
>>3418850
maybe the mountain goat can 'fly' by jumping
>>
File: 1469894585754.jpg (229KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1469894585754.jpg
229KB, 1280x853px
>>3417740
Tower is actually the Perisan/middle eastern themed town.

Actually as a person who doesnt really give a shit about M&M and lore in general i allways assumed that the factions in Heroes 3 were grouped according to different cultures.

>Dungeon is ancient greek
>Castle is Christian/European
>Rampart is celtic
>Stronghold is nordic
>Fortress is Amerindian/Aztek/Mayan
>Tower is middle Eastern/jewish
>Inferno and necropolis generally subscribe to the abrahamic religions
>Conflux can fuck off
>Forge is the edgy 12yo faction

>inb4 M&M fags sperg out
I just wish we had a game themed around different mythologies and cultures.
>>
>>3418864
I don't recall titans being in middle eastern/jewish mythology, nor basilisks and gorgons being in amerindian, the towns are all a mishmash of cultures.
>>
>>3418850
Maybe the cannoneer units were supposed to be able to siege walls like Cyclopes. It would help. But yeah, that seems rather weak. Even slow factions like Fortress or Stronghold have at least one fast flying unit to help out with initiative.
>>
>>3418864
Age of Mythology might be right up your alley
>>
>>3418850
>>3418873
Did you guys not look at the HPs of these units? And I assume they're unupgraded as well, the Tier 7 is beefy as fuck. This faction looks like Fortress on steroids.
>>
>>3418872
Titans are probably there just to fill the need for a lvl 7 creature. Just like the gremlins/gargoyles
Golems are jewish
Genies/Mages are jewish/arabic
Nagas are indian.

About the Fortress yeah i might be wrong.
>>
>>3418876
They are upgraded.
>>
File: 1445414981608.jpg (29KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1445414981608.jpg
29KB, 240x200px
All these years I thought Wyverns poison deals damage instead of lowering max HP
>>
>>3418876

250HP for lvl7 isn't much. But the rest has indeed lots of HP.

Only question is what's up with the lvl5 unit making only 3-5 damage.
>>
>>3418864

Inferno actually looks Muslim with all the Arabic palaces.
>>
>>3418892
All these years I thought Ghost Dragons somehow cumulatively reduced enemy stats (like Ghosts from IV) instead of halving the HP of every creature in the stack

I wish III explained what creature abilties do instead of just "Diseases. Poisons. Ages."
>>
File: 1438704564809.jpg (56KB, 452x640px) Image search: [Google]
1438704564809.jpg
56KB, 452x640px
>>3418542
In HoMM VII Edric married Tyris.
>>
>>3418542
You're playing the wrong series if that triggers you m8
>>
>>3418915
> all the
You mean 1? Forsaken Palace doesn't look very Arabic to me.

If anything, Conflux had Arabic Town Hall and Fort. Too bad it stopped there, gotta love the 1001 Nights vibe.
>>
Temple of Baa are literally sheepfuckers
>>
File: 428977283.jpg (100KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
428977283.jpg
100KB, 600x450px
>>3418917
They made it exellent in HoMM IV too bad it's one of few good things from the game
>>
>>3419053
The order of Baa welcomes you, friend.
>>
File: orkek.png (268KB, 526x467px) Image search: [Google]
orkek.png
268KB, 526x467px
>>3418864
>Tower is actually the Perisan/middle eastern themed town.

>Naga
>Titan
>Gremlin
>Gargoyle

>Perisan/middle easter themed town

You are an idiot
>>
>>3419079
It still baffles me why they decided you can only have 5 types of creatures in a town.

Also, any big quality mod in the dev? Something like HotA not Wog
>>
>>3419097
>Also, any big quality mod in the dev?

Only Equlibris
>>
>>3419097
>It still baffles me why they decided you can only have 5 types of creatures in a town.

It really feels like a homm clone rather than homm game because if I would make homm clone I would make creature system like this. When I was a kid I actually liked to draw "my heroes game" and I planned to have choices between creatures per level. It blown my mind when HoMM IV came out
>>
>>3416893
It's like something out of Doom. That death animation is the best. Goddamnit, spergs ruin everything.
>>
>>3419097
I don't like the newer games but I kinda liked how V did it in addons, where you choose the upgrades

You still have to do it in moderation though, or end up with VI/VII where there are so many active abilities it plays like a turn-based MOBA
>>
File: 776.gif (849KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
776.gif
849KB, 200x200px
>>3418970
That feel when few year ago I had an idea to draw Edric x Tyris porn
Damn it
>>
>>3419097
>why they decided you can only have 5 types of creatures in a town?
I guess so you can have 5 types, local might hero and local magic hero. Although it hardly matters, considering how bland are the heroes when compared to one another.
>>
>>3417592
Call me boring, but I would like to see outlaw town, with scumbags and low lifes filling the ranks.
>>
>>3419201
Cove is already a thing though
>>
>>3419205
So it's basically town from HOTA right?
>>
>>3419201
http://heroes3towns.com/?town=cathedral&ver=&page=units

Not exactly what you're talking about at all, but this is apparently one of the town designs that was considered for HotA, with a dark fantasy/witch hunts/Innistrad feel. It doesn't fit right with the M&M setting which is probably why it was scrapped, but it has interesting designs

That website also has other OC town designs, including an Egyptian one. The Crownwork (snow dwarf town posted above) gallery has some very impressive unit designs as well
>>
>>3419238
Some of those units look like they were ripped straight out of Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
>>3419214
That's what they were based off of.
>>
File: 8.jpg (252KB, 789x374px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
252KB, 789x374px
>>3419238
I still think that Cathedral was best idea out of first three that they had and it pains me that it will never be released. Sure, some of that stuff would be pretty OW THE EDGE-tier, but still enjoyable if you wouldn't take it too seriously. About lack of placement in M&M lore, anything can be written into it with a little bit of effort. Think about times past Restoration of Erathia. After driving necromancers, overlords and Kreegans out of the country, Catherine decides to start founding towns, castles and outposts with soldiers trained specifically to deal with those three nations, let the conflict rise again. Soon, due to zealous, fanatic and uncompromising nature of those places, they spiral out of control and build own national identity around the idea of purging necros and demons.
>>
File: Pirat.jpg (31KB, 509x336px) Image search: [Google]
Pirat.jpg
31KB, 509x336px
>>3419214
>>3419250

Enroth world includes Regnan Empire, which is mentioned a few times in M&M6 and 7, and is a big part of the plot in M&M8.

In the latter game, pirates are the main enemies on the very first island (see pic); moreover, you get to visit Regna and battle them first hand. Unfortunately, it's been quite some time since I played it, so I don't remember all the details, but let's just say the pirates appeared rather frequently through this tropical-themed M&M installment.

> That's what they were based off of.

Now, how close is Cove, the fan-made faction from HotA, to the canonical image of Regna, is another question. I don't remember the pirates having serpents of any kind, nor any other non-human or magical creatures. Moreover, what Cove units look like in HotA is completely different from how they do in M&M8—and the latter follows HoMMIII art direction almost to a T, with the same 3D models used between games for most units (and even heroes).

Of course, "based" has a broad meaning; but from what I've seen, it looks like the only things Regna and Cove have in common is the pirate theme. The rest has been mostly invented by the HotA creators, if my memory serves me right.
>>
That feel when you realize you should have probably raided Imp Cache instead of Naga Bank
>>
Even in M&M, you can't escape Bird of Perception

Thank god Amulet of the Undertaker isn't there
>>
>>3419420
Is it just me or do goblins look mexican?
>>
>>3419426
Yeah, kinda. Well, IIRC these were the only 2 portraits available for them, so not much choice.I should've gone with humans instead
>>
>>3419426
the males also sound like black men, what was going on over at NWC
>>
>>3419442
Now seriously: you can make anyone sound black, just slow the audio down ~30% or so.

Similar with male/female voices: https://youtu.be/sX6oIX2KJAs
>>
>>3419426
That's why the perfect class for them is thief
>>
File: Best_castle.png (369KB, 1115x839px) Image search: [Google]
Best_castle.png
369KB, 1115x839px
God,2 looks gorgeous
>>
File: columbus.png (295KB, 1098x821px) Image search: [Google]
columbus.png
295KB, 1098x821px
>>
File: o4.png (110KB, 584x138px) Image search: [Google]
o4.png
110KB, 584x138px
Help Necromancers or kill Dwarves?
>>
>>3419514
Save the skeletons.
>>
>>3419505
5 dragons sure would make the first days of America easier

>>3419494
Oh please, that scaling is hideous
>>
>>3419494
>best castle
>posts worst castle
>>
>>3419526
I like the aesthetics.
The alpine mountains in the background,man,I can feel the chilly breezezes.
>>
>>3419526
Knight castle in HommI/II is like Inferno in homm III
>>
tfw no one to play Heroes 3 multiplayer with
>>
>>3419553
It's a pain in the ass to set up, too bad jewbisoft never released complete/SoD on steam.
>>
>>3419560
I never had a problem playing multiplayer with pepole before(I use hamachi) expect with one person from Romania, but other than that one person It didn't take long to setup and didn't have any problems.
>>
>>3419530
Everything in Castle (as well as Necropolis) has some lovely and comfy style, but also feels very cramped. It's kinda like each building was designed by different artist who first had to fight hard for every pixel in width and height, and then never consulted his results with others.
>What do we do with cathedral? Oh I know, let's squeeze it behind armory and forge, who cares about it! What, it looks like out of place because it's in the middle of the lawn? Mud path leading to it should do the trick!
>>
File: knight.gif (89KB, 640x261px) Image search: [Google]
knight.gif
89KB, 640x261px
>>3419514
Kill Dwarves easily. Ogre alliance makes the rest of the campaign a joke

>>3419530
I like the knight town from the original game too. It's kind of wonky perspective-wise and I hate how magic guilds used to block the castle, but that forest and mountains give me wanderlust

I love the aesthetics of the first two games, they're very colourful, evoke a strong sense of fairy tale adventure and remind me of kid's books. Very nostalgic. If we consider the soundtrack as well, HoMM II is the most beautiful game ever made for me
>>
>>3419687
This pic is really giving me Xeen vibes with all the colors.
>>
>>3419623
The same can be said about every other town in Heroes II. They all looked like bunches of decorations from different movies, with completely different styles and no logical connections between each other.

Say what you will about III, but this is what it got right. The towns looked more like towns—with many civilian houses for background, more or less logical placement of everything. Everything was not on the same plane—different objects were placed further from/closer to the observer, creating a real sense of distance, a 3D image.

From the point of visual perspective in town screens, I think there's no real comparison: H2 had a very amateur look, and H3 obviously fixed this shortcoming. H2 looks like they simply didn't have a big enough team or budget to create a polished town look.
>>
File: hqdefault-2.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-2.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
> Want to get a quick impression Xeen games
> Watch a speedrun
> "WHERE TO???!!!"
Traumatized for life
>>
>>3419698
Completely agree with you there. Comparing II to III feels like comparing the art of late Medieval and early Renaissance - such a breakthrough in a matter of proportions, perspective, balance and taste in such a short time. Though, looking at HoMM II and Xeen, it seems like developers were not as much "amateur" as simply did not care that much about lore, consistency and common sense - they simply had as much fun designing those games as people who were supposed to play them. Considering that each early M&M game happened in different world and was a fresh start, and that HoMM I didn't sell very well, there wasn't much pressure on devs when they were working on II. After the success of II though, they knew that expectations for III are high and that RPGs are moving from early 90s wacky and cheesy style to something more toned and serious, so were inclined to put more work and though into creatures and towns
>>
>be 5-6
>play HoMM III for the first time
>lose
>get traumatized for life by the game over screen
>start yanking the power cord out every time I'm about to lose
>>
>>3419091
i explained here>>3418879
>>
>>3419687
Have you ever played Machinarium? If you want aesthetics in a game, it's the shit.

>>3419757
You can fuck up your comp or game if you do this.
>>
There is a fan theory that Dragons are also aliens

Dragon tower from HoMM I looks like a space rocket
>>
>>3419831
Looks vaguely like the Witch's tower in MM4
>>
Is Palm Kingdoms series good?
>>
>>3419847
I did not know this was a thing thank you anon.
>>
>>3419847
How is this even legal?
>>
>>3419827
I know, but man, that was some fucked up shit for 6 year old me

>you lose! now you get gruesomely beheaded by a massive BDSM gimp in the middle of an apocalyptic landscape while panicking music plays, lol
>>
>>3419859
>Sandru
I don't think that jewbisoft holds intellectual property rights to the very concept of turn-based fantasy strategy genre. Technically, the could sue on basis of product being too similiar to the franchise they own, but "too similiar" is extremely blurry term and the court case could take long years and gobble up loads of money.
>>
>>3419901
looks nothing like modern HoMM anyways
>>
>>3419901
There's "Sandru", there are the resources and the gazebo that are literally copypasted, there are just too many other game concepts that are obviously copied and there's the fact that it's known as H2 clone for phones.

>>3419903
Looks like H2, and Ubisoft owns that as a part of M&M trademark.
>>
>>3419910
ubi doesn't give a shit about H2
>>
>>3419514
Dwarves by miles. It gives two bonuses:
1) All neutral dwarves for the rest of the game autoflee
2) All neutral ogres for the rest of the game autojoin
>>
>>3419410
can only speak about homm3 i always thought raiding naga banks was completly useless. some sulfur and gold and you can easily lose precious units because nagas dont fucking joke around.
>>
>>3419993
naga bank give gems imp cache gives sulfur, and you pretty much have to raid them if you're playing castle or tower if you want to get angels/titans
>>
>>3419993
They are amazing at higher difficulties when you are behind on gold. As long as you mass slow your casualties are limited and the 4-8k will almost always get you that nice new building/tier of units.
>>
>>3419910
Sandru, gazebo and resources (you want to sue all game devs that dare to use sulfur or gems in their games?) are all not identical down to the core, just recognizable by HoMM II veterans. With team of experienced attorneys on their side, not only Palm Kingdom devs would get away with this, but also ubi would lose a heap of time, money and reputation (waging war against this series would be on the level of that shitstain that somehow copyrighted word "edge" and fought against every company that tried to use it in vidya title). Not that ubi has any reputation to maintain anymore, but still. And even if they would won, there is nothing to gain there, because Palm Kingdoms is not a competitor as long as ubi does not plan to release mobile Heroes themselves, and with series being put down to sleep, it will never happen.
>>
Can anyone who beat MM2 and understands the plot explain it to me?

Okay, so you're done on VARN and you go to CRON for some reason. Corak (who had a half-orc statue in 1 but maybe isnt a half-orc) is apparently a big shot over in CRON and he figured out Sheltem was coming and killed himself somehow.

But the whole story of 2 is that you're trying to go back in time to help the old king beat the MEGA DRAGON to prevent the world from turning into a shitty grid full of random encounters.

But then after you deal with the whole elementals/power orb/mega dragon thing, why is Sheltem now hiding in a small crater lake? How did the king know he was there? Did this have anything to do with the war of elementals and the water king summoning the mega dragon?

It's just a weird story. Also why the hell is Sheltem shooting VARNs into the sun? What's this guy's problem?
>>
File: 24_meteorshower.gif (2KB, 78x65px) Image search: [Google]
24_meteorshower.gif
2KB, 78x65px
Who's watching the meteor shower?
>>
>>3420045
Most of this you can find out on Darkside when you enter the spaceships of Corak and Sheltem and their logs.

>Okay, so you're done on VARN and you go to CRON for some reason. Corak (who had a half-orc statue in 1 but maybe isnt a half-orc) is apparently a big shot over in CRON and he figured out Sheltem was coming and killed himself somehow.
Sheltem is an agent of the ancients who went rogue due to an internal logic conflict. Corak was a second agent created who has a job to hunt down Sheltem. Sheltem got the jump on Corak and won. He then separated Corak's soul with his body. The Cleric jurist quest is to retrieve them and reactivate him.

>But the whole story of 2 is that you're trying to go back in time to help the old king beat the MEGA DRAGON to prevent the world from turning into a shitty grid full of random encounters.
The king is canonically killed in combat by the Mega Dragon. You use the time machine to give him the orbs which allow him to defeat the mega dragon and change history.

>But then after you deal with the whole elementals/power orb/mega dragon thing, why is Sheltem now hiding in a small crater lake? How did the king know he was there? Did this have anything to do with the war of elementals and the water king summoning the mega dragon?
This is pretty vague and not explained well, but it's a changed history so presumably Sheltem doesn't show up in the original timeline if the Mega Dragon had won.

>It's just a weird story. Also why the hell is Sheltem shooting VARNs into the sun? What's this guy's problem?
Spite and revenge. The ancients want him "repaired" or killed so he is sabotaging their projects.

Again this is way better explained in the logs on Darkside.
>>
>>3420045
dude, the selfdestruct-code was "001", what behaviour do you expect from sheltem and corak?
>>
With all the open source projects and things like Daggerfall Unity you'd think people would give Might and Magic 6-8 some love too. At least HoMM3 is getting VCMI.
>>
>>3420106
MM6 has TCC
MM7 has Rev4
MM8 has some balance mods, but no real changes

There are also several Chinese mods, but they aren't translated.
>>
>>3420106
I'd love to see some mods for 7, there's that giant vori continent north of antagarich that I would like to explore.
>>
Can we talk about Disciples here?
>>
>>3419205
Cove is really only 35% pirates, with just two units and the overall castle design, I'm talking about town where all units are clearly associated with criminal activity, thugs, brigands and mercenaries with empty pockets, no morale decency and infinite greed, although whenever I start thinking about the whole idea it does let through a few things, making entire town consisting of just people is kinda boring, plus what kind of a human supposed to be even remotely equal to any creature from tier 7?
>>>3419238
Spider Queens from that forest town are pretty cute. Also lepers look cool.
>>
>>3420191
The entire faction doesn't have to be pirates but you could have most tiers be humanoid and have a non human t7.
>>
>>3420191
>plus what kind of a human supposed to be even remotely equal to any creature from tier 7?
You could do like Paladins from 1/2 or Champions from IV, weaker than any other tier 7 but have higher growth and nice abilities to compensate for it

And your idea is basically Chaos from IV, a bandit/thief town with some chaotic creatures like orcs and efreeti thrown in for the sake of diversity
>>
>>3420184
Never played the series, but I heard it was okay.
>>
File: 531248-war_003.jpg (213KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
531248-war_003.jpg
213KB, 1024x768px
>>3420184
It's kinda funny how Disciples is so often compared with HoMM and nothing else, when it is simply an expansion of basic idea behind Warlords series that tried to walk it's own way.
For me, Disciples I is a nice curiosity (pretty hard game that does not forgive the fuckups, but sadly a little bit too simplistic, not much in terms of staying for long or replayability) while II was a real masterpiece. Music, voiceacting, general aesthetics and details were pinnacle of 2D and will never age, and mechanics allowed for much flexibility in tactics and planning. III was a clusterfuck.
>>
>>3420237
I guess the reason Disciples is so often compared to HoMM is because it came out almost concurrently with III. There are also quite a few similarities between factions and the like. You can literally have a Legions capital called Inferno and buy Devils from there

Also my relationship with Disciples II is odd. I readily acknowledge it was a model sequel, adding a shitton of stuff while not changing the original formula at all, but I keep coming to Sacred Lands more. Because of nostalgia and also that artstyle. The character art, imo, is still unparalleled, and is very dark and atmospheric. The same artist did concept art for II, so what possessed them to use generic renders for character portraits is beyond me.
>>
>>3420205
>a bandit/thief town with some chaotic creatures like orcs and efreeti thrown in for the sake of diversity
The whole idea supposed to be more of a negative reflection of Castle, they have knights, gryphons and angels, what could be added to give the same strong vibes too clearly show the moral opposition which a faction like a outlaw town could represent without making it feel out of place?
>>
>>3420252
>The whole idea supposed to be more of a negative reflection of Castle, they have knights, gryphons and angels, what could be added to give the same strong vibes too clearly show the moral opposition
This might sound a bit too far-fetched, but if I was to make a town that is a negative moral reflection of Castle, I'd make one based around devils and demons
>>
>>3420265
>I'd make one based around devils and demons
That a bit too direct honestly, Castle represents bravery, chivalry and loyalty, and what could represent all of this in reverse better than a criminal? Or even better a whole batch of them.
>>
>>3420280
Criminal devils.
>>
Should I get a town portal NPC for 20 percent of my gold or just walk everywhere? Price seems pretty steep.
>>
>>3420330
They aren't by any means essential, but if you have the gold, hire a gate master and a wind master. They save an enormous amount of time.

If you don't, then you should probably get a duper/merchant and start saving up gold. The instructor/teacher bonus only affects the experience from monsters, not quests. Similarly the gold they take only comes from looted gold, not merchant sales.

Get them immediately if you are running a comp with no sorc/druid/archer.
>>
>>3420349
You can only town portal to a place if you drink from the fountain of the town, right?
>>
>>3420356
In MM7 yes (aside from Harmondale which is the fountain in the Castle). In MM6 you can go anywhere on demand.
>>
>>3420349
>The instructor/teacher bonus only affects the experience from monsters, not quests.
This is the deal breaker for me. Not going to farm monsters when there are so many quests which give much more exp.
>>
M&M7 question: I've never used a thief. Is Stealing skill worth it, if at all? I know just few cases where it actually made things easier in the game.
>>
>>3420663
I think thief is a weak class and not worth to choose
3xSorcerers and Cleric is the best choice
>>
>>3420663
You can BTFO some of the earlier quests with thievery. Other than that meh.
>>
>>3420681
>>3420684
Yeah, it just seems there is nothing to pick it for really.

Disarm Trap GM: up early a lot of classes have this skill, and in middle-late game you have Telekinesis which renders the GM kinda useless

Stealing GM: pretty much what you said

Leather and Dagger GM: strongest skill in the weakest armor/weapon

And they can't even GM Perception, something I wanted to try. If I need a master, I'd pick Ranger/Archer.

All in all I see no redeeming points about a Thief.
>>
>>3420184
HAVE SOME BLACK SHIT OVER YOUR GREY SHIT AND MAYBE SOME DARK BLUE SHIT TOO
DON'T FORGET TO FROWN BECAUSE IT'S A SERIOUS GAME OF WAR AND FEAR AND BLACK AND GREY
LOOK AT THIS FUCK HUGE BLACK AND GREY INTERFACE IT HAS SKULLS AND CLAWS BECAUSE FUCK YOU IT'S NOT LIKE YOU WANT TO PLAY OR UNDERSTAND WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE SCREEN ANYWAY
PROTIP IT'S BLACK AND GREY
>>
>>3421024
wew lad
>>
Can't speak ruskie, so will they release a new town like Cathedral or Siberia?
>>
>>3420708
I liked that they replaced Thieves with Dark Elves in VIII.

That and the fact you can run around way unlevelled in Murmurwood Stone-to-Fleshing and get the level 50 promotion girl.

Did they ever actually make Arcomage cards? How come there was no mention in and of the Heroes games?
>>
>>3421024
Calm down a little bit, laddie, learn how to distinguish dark fantasy from CRAWLING IN MY SKIN, and then return. Meanwhile, while you are searching for pastel colors and happy thoughts, may I suggest >>>/mlp/?
>>
>>3420184
Disciples is so fucking addictive, the art design, the music, the story, the general atmosphere make me come back to it again and again even when the combat can get a tad repetitive at times. Then again, the different factions are quite different in gameplay so it doesn't get too boring. currently in on the last map of the undead hordes map. the map before was a son of a bitch to finish.

Really, I think games like HoMM, Disciples, AoW, Master of Magic etc appeal to the same audience (people in this thread) so discussion should be allowed, its not like this thread is super fast so the more to talk about the better. Not sure what this subgenre is even called, I think I heard the term magic strategy somewhere?
>>
>>3421219
I've always referred to these games as fantasy TBS.
>>
>>3420184
How about we bring in X-com and civilization and other tbs games roo?

NO. FUCK OFF

Make your separate thread or search for a tbs general on /vg/. As if it wasnt enogh that M&M fags constantly shit up the thread to the point where its completely derailed. Threads here are supposed to be specific
>>
>>3421247
>M&M fags
>HoMM and M&M thread

dat autism, be glad this thread is even barely alive in the first place
>>
>>3421247
The thread barely gets 50 posts a day, who cares. Shit like disciples and Age of Wonders is similar enough to HoMM.
>>
>>3421257
I just want a thread for heroes of might and magic Not this clusterfuck where everything is discussed except for Homm. If you want a thread about all kinds of different TBS i suggest you go find one on /vg/. I'm sure there is one
>>
pistols or rifles for xcom?
>>
>>3421273
hard luck, this thread is not your property. Try reporting the posts you don't like and see what happens.
>>
>>3421219
Yeah, that mission against Bone Lord is a bullshit, with both you and foes having weapon or death-based attacks and weapon or death-based immunities. Gotta prepare the Lich King, or develop a lot of elemental damaging spells in advance, or it becomes unbeatable.
>>
>>3421247
The thread is specifically about Heroes and M&M but your retard brain can't comprehend focusing on two things at once. There's only a handful of disciples posts yet you felt the need to lash out like a spastic.
>>
>>3421279
Rifles.
>>
>>3421314
I have no clue what you just said, I think you are probably talking about Disciples 2? Cause I was referring to Disciples 1.
>>
How would you improve HotA's cove? How would you improve Inferno?
>>
>>3421408
yeah, sorry about that. I thought you are refering to 2 as undead campaign there has some hurdles too.
>>
>>3421408
Yes, he's talking about II. Bone Lord is a boss monster from there, basically a vampire on steroids

>>3421426
>HotA's cove
Remove that broken-ass 3rd shooter upgrade

Slightly nerf all creatures in general

3-tier magic guild only

Nerf or rework that Clone specialist dude, it's funny how they replaced Galthran for being too OP and then went and gave their faction a guy who starts with Clone and doubles its effect

>Inferno
Make Efreeti actually immune to Magog fireball, what HotA did with Magogs is a good idea too

Imp/Familiar cost per troop down to 30/40 or something

Give them an Offense, Armorer or Logistics specialist hero so they could have a decent hero pick
>>
>>3421426
Units:
- Familiars: damage to 2-3, hitpoints to 5, speed to 8 and make them flying unit. Maybe rise the price by 10 ro 15 gold.
- Magogs: attack to 8, damage to 2-5, make fireball to not hurt friendly demons.
- Cerberi: good as they are right now
- Horned Demons: speed to 7, can shoot (but only 4 ammo)
- Pit Lord: can raise demons multiple times during the battle (cannot raise demons from demons to avoid infinite loop), but only first raised stack will stay after the battle
- Efreets: good as they are
- Archdevil: attack to 28, hitpoints to 220, damage to 35-45, can cause negative luck

Structures:
- less shitty mage guild spell selection: a little bit more of earth magic
- Town Gate can warp you to any town you own, but if it does not have Town Gate structure, small fraction of your army is lost (like in a whirlpool)
- Special Graal effect: every month is a month of random Inferno creature; Hero laying a siege against this town has -2 to morale and luck
>>
>>3421279
Pistols are useless
>>
File: lordsofass.jpg (135KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
lordsofass.jpg
135KB, 460x215px
So how good a game is this? The combat looks abysmal.
>>
>>3421605
kys
>>
>>3421605
I had this game as a demo way back then and I kind of enjoyed it. Playing it again recently, it has some interesting ideas but very clunky implementation. Combat is really ass, there's basically no reason not to hit autocalc every time outside of major battles. It's not worth the money imo - just watch the speedrun on Youtube. There's nothing to the game outside of the campaign anyway.
>>
>>3421219
>>3421220
Heroes Imitation Videogame (HIV)
>>
>>3421438

The 3rd shooter upgrade isn't broken. It's very costly and only effective against lvl7 units. Other towns have creatures with double hit and double shot.

Double clone only works on the first cast in the battle.

Also don't forget Cove has shit tier special buildings.
>>
>>3421675
>Also don't forget Cove has shit tier special buildings
Totally, yeah, like very own altar of sacrifice that allows you to instantly turn all those Birds of Perception you've hoarded into a beefy secondary hero in one day.
>>
>>3421701

That costs shit tons of gold and you'll find an altar of sacrifice on almost any map.

Dungeon's Battlescholar Academy is much better.
>>
How would you improve Heroes 4 while not making it a direct sequel to Heroes 3 with more stuff?
>>
>>3422354
The hero on the battlefield thing needs a rework for one.
>>
File: wherearewe.png (121KB, 1920x1022px) Image search: [Google]
wherearewe.png
121KB, 1920x1022px
Anyone ever try using Where Are We when playing old Might and Magic?

> http://www.eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/

I was trying to find a program that could be used as an automapper when I try playing through the series for the first time, and this is very impressive for what I could find.

Would it ruin the experience of working through the original games, or is it a good tool for somebody who's never really played a dungeon crawler?
>>
>>3422354
Completely redo graphics, especially town screens. I don't care how you do it, but the original is terrible, amateurish and seizureworthy in every way. I'm not usually a graphicsfag but IV had BAD graphics.

Gameplay-wise, introduce grid, rework sieges, remove simultaneous retaliation and ranged retaliation, make initiative make sense and it's suddenly a much better game.
>>
>>3422354
No units walking alone walking on the map. It's annoying no matter which side they're on.

Give some spells limited duration. Quicksand is broken.

Heroes can choose if they partake in combat, leadership skills work either way. Far too many big fights are decided by which hero dies first. Especially when it comes to leadership. Should also relieve some pressure that every single hero must get the combat skill tree to function.
>>
>>3422445
If you want to map on your own, I highly recommend a free program called Grid Cartographer for all your mapping needs. Some people swear by drawing their own maps and depending on the game, there are puzzles and traps just to confuse mapmakers. MM2 onwards all have automappers though.
>>
>>3422445
>>3422474
Also check out the mac versions of MM1 and 2
>>
>>3422474
>$20

for Grid Cartographer seems kind of excessive...
>>
>>3422640
The free version is all you need. There's a mobile app too.
>>
>>3420663
No. If you ever have problems with gold you are doing it wrong. A nice trick is to do the Troglodyte quest (it gives a ridiculous amount of reputation) in Stone City and then sell/train there. Once you save the dwarves as well, you are capped on reputation (which affects merchant prices).

>>3420708
The traps are so weak that you don't really need the skill at all. It's nice in the haunted mansion simply because of all the chests but preservation and regeneration will protect you anywhere else.

Leather GM is a nice idea, but it's the wrong game. Elemental defenses are actually useful in MM8, but in 7 they are wasted.

Dagger isn't bad because you also have master armsmaster and can get to minimum recovery time really early. The problem is that the knight does so much more damage, but also comes with GM plate and GM body building.
>>
File: magical shrug.jpg (19KB, 210x215px) Image search: [Google]
magical shrug.jpg
19KB, 210x215px
>>3419079
>>3419097
>>3419113
Heroes 4 gets a lot of shit thrown at it but it's actually my second favorite after 3.
I love that NWC innovated instead of just making a Heroes 3+, but sadly it's exactly what the fans wanted and it got poorly received.
The music and the campaigns are GOAT and I loved how the heroes were actively taking part to the combat instead of just being stat sticks for their army.
The gale is lacking some polish and has a bunch of flaws but it's definitely not as bad as people tend to say.
>>
>>3422928
>it's definitely not as bad as people tend to say.
yes it's not as bad but needs a lots of fix
>>
>>3422928
Biggest problem were sieges. If you put a couple ranged on those towers, you almost always had a free win.
>>
>>3422959
Putting ranged units on a tower also gives a LOS to the enemy and makes them vulnerable to disrupting spells like Song of peace or Forgetfulness. I like to have two caster heroes in my group during a siege so I can stunlock ranged and make a buttload of illusions out of them.
>>
File: dferzl.png (190KB, 918x692px) Image search: [Google]
dferzl.png
190KB, 918x692px
I don't like to use the word 'comfy' a lot, but Paul Romero's music makes a frozen wasteland full of hostile harpies seem ultra comfy.
https://youtu.be/pZqQMFQm7ko
>>
>>3422983
Am I the only one who gets Final Fantasy vibes from this?
>>
File: DUDE.png (10KB, 489x46px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE.png
10KB, 489x46px
>>3422986
Not seeing the resemblance
>>
>>3422445
just man up and use excel
>>
>>3422928
The weird 3D units kinda bothered me.
Also some parts of the combat were weird like units striking at the same time and ranged counter-attacks.
Also didn't like some town designs like Necro+inferno.
>>
File: SpellDisplacementIV.jpg (3KB, 66x62px) Image search: [Google]
SpellDisplacementIV.jpg
3KB, 66x62px
>>3422959
>>
>>3422928
Amen
>>
after spending so much time playing MM1/MM2, i kind of miss that style of MM game

something therapeutic about dicing through demon kings with a party of adventurers that used to have a tough time versus goblins and battle rats
>>
>>3422983
Yeah, his winter tracks make me want to bundle up, drink hot chocolate and sit near a fireplace.
>>
CONFLUX IS THE WORST MEME SHIT
SHITTY IRRITATING UNITS WITH ANNOYING TRICKS
MAY THE DICK OF IT'S DESIGNER FUCK OFF
>>
>>3423643
Not to mention it is so fucking boring. Having to scrap Forge and make some shit up on the fly is not enough excuse. Hell, even a town based on neutral creatures in general like halflings, rogues, boar riders and gem dragons would've been much more interesting
>>
File: csoni.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
csoni.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>3423682
I was so angry at this
Conflux heroes popping up seemingly at random all across the map
>>
>>3423194
MM6 gives you that feeling. You just walk into a crowd of enemies and cast ring of fire or shoot a fireball at a group of mages and watch them get launched into the air and die.
>>
>Eagle Eye: 100% chance to learn level 1 spells at any level. Also, you learn spells during battle, rather than afterwards, and can cast them immediately
>Resistance: progression changed to 10%/15%/20%. Acts like Magic Mirror on Expert level
>Sorcery: progression changed to 10%/20%/30%. Also gives hero a 10%/15%/20% chance to deal 1.5x damage with a spell
>Luck: negative luck introduced
>Mysticism: restores 5%/10%/15% of max spell points
>Learning: bonus is 15%/25%/35%
Is the game fixed now?
>>
>>3422986
I are as well getting the vibrates of a Fantasy that was Final.
>>
>>3423961
Learning still has too low bonus
>>
>>3423961
>>3423995
I liked that chance to gain +1 to a random stat on level up that WOG had for Learning, don't think its too broken.
>>
File: pic_morpheus.jpg (21KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
pic_morpheus.jpg
21KB, 500x303px
>>3423961

What if I told you the skills were never meant to be balanced?
>>
>>3424041
So those skills are just a trap skills to make game harder?
>>
>>3424085
I think he means that there need to be bad skills for the game to be balanced, kind of like in a card game where there needs to be some bad cards so that it will be balanced or something like that.
>>
>>3424041
>>3424085
>>3424561
No, it's because NWC/3do never expected anyone to take this game seriously competitively, and many skills are there for flavor/a holdover from Homm2. We've already established that some things are directly lifted from Homm2, like the [Upg.] Cloud Temple requirements.

You can make good roleplaying/stories/maps/challenges with those skills, like A Wizard's Tale being about an Eagle Eye magician on a map with no mage guilds.
>>
>>3422928
I like 4's soundtrack too. This is my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
I played through the campaigns and liked the overall feel (the storylines too) but returned to 3 afterwards.
>>
File: 1451436097986.jpg (45KB, 291x280px) Image search: [Google]
1451436097986.jpg
45KB, 291x280px
>mfw Counterstrike spell at expert level with Vampire Lords
>>
>>3424819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBVDJnUL8M8
>>
>>3424936
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SQ0yPQwos
>>
>>3424942
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPhZvNmRxs
>>
File: Romero.png (373KB, 720x887px) Image search: [Google]
Romero.png
373KB, 720x887px
>>3424936
>Composed by: Kunihiko Ryo, Tomohiko Kira

Disgusting
>>
>>3425089
Why is he so based?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE
>>
File: 1469047009522.gif (66KB, 174x192px) Image search: [Google]
1469047009522.gif
66KB, 174x192px
>>3425116
Why there are no girls in the audience?
>>
I don't think necro is OP
The units are too expensive.
>>
>>3425429

Nigra, you only need to buy vampire lords, death knights and liches.
>>
>>3425470
and skeletons are free
>>
Not enough HotA maps out there.
>>
>>3425787
At least the map generator for HotA comes with presets you can use, a lot better than the default.
>>
Gentlemen, how do we fix Fortress?
>>
>>3425860
give upgraded lizards no range penalty
>>
>>3425860
Dragonfly has strike and return
>>
>>3425860
all creatures gain 1 speed, but dragonfly loses 1 speed
>>
>>3425863
IMO, they should cast Toxic on hit.

>>3425872
Dragonflies are already good enough.
>>
>>3425919
You mean the Wyvern Monarch's ability? I don't really like it all that much desu
>>
>>3425874
This
>>3425919
>they should cast Toxic on hit.
This
>>
How come the soundtrack of homm3 is so different from the rest?
Listening to homm4 and homm2 soundtracks I feel a lot of similarities.
>>
>>3425860

What's wrong with the fortress? Back when I played online, I had a buddy who regularly would kick my ass with it.
>>
>>3425952
I just think the units are too fucking slow, outside of the dragonfly, which I think is too fast for a t3
>>
>>3425945

Homm3 is heavily inspired by Vivaldi
>>
>>3425952
It's not like Inferno, but Fortress creatures are pretty underwhelming, especially the shooter.

Only the Mighty Gorgons and Dragonflies are good.
>>
>>3425952
They are too slow and they have low HP
>>
>>3425952
Git gud
>>
>>3425952
—Only one mediocre shooter (used to be awfully weak in RoE, but still)
—Lvl 6 units have extremely low HP
—Lvl 7 with the SPEED OF 7 AND WALKING ARGHHH
—Only 3 lvls of Mage Guild (well at least it has Teleport, at least thanks for that) and not much to make up for that
—Focus on defense in a game based on capturing towns

Now if you know how to play them, like Expert Teleport Hydras right into the enemy castle, take on lvl 7s with Mighty Gorgons, Bless Lizard Warriors, use units' special abilities and exploit the advantages of the 2 hex wide moat, they can be good. But still far from the strongest faction around
>>
>>3426142
Teleport hydras still makes you waste a spell when the opponent will just answer with mass haste/slow immediately and destroy you. Most towns don't need to use a spell to make their lv7 reach the enemy army
>>
>>3426163
>Most towns don't need to use a spell to make their lv7 reach the enemy army
>mfw I realised that Devils can get into the enemy castle without Teleport

When a Inferno creature can be way better than yours in something, you know that something is fucked up.
>>
>>3426173
devils can't attack 5-6 creatures simultaneously
>>
>>3426182
I know. I'm not saying that Devils are better than Hydras.
>>
>>3426163
This is true. If you can hit multiple enemies it can be cool, but otherwise not so much. However, this also makes dogpiling Hydras harder

>>3426182
"The enemy is going to place all of his units right around my Hydras" meme. How many times have you actually done it? How many of them with live opponents?

You will have much better luck with Death Cloud attack
>>
>>3426187
Devils are better than Hydras though
>>
File: 1447267854403.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1447267854403.png
325KB, 382x417px
What if hydras also had unlimited retaliations
>>
>>3425952
>Only 3rd level mage guild while Witch class is decent
>Beastmasters start with 0 attack
>Blacksmith produce Medic tents
>>
Speed is not even the only problem with the Hydras. Their attack stat is also pathetic (18, on par with a level 6 unit) which makes their 35 average damage not that scary anymore. In fact individual hydras barely do more damage than Dread Knights, which is funny because you'll have twice as many Dread Knights as there are Hydras. And Dread Knights are faster, and have the chance to do double damage
>>
>>3426208
It would make them great against AI but not much better against any opponent with half a brain
>>
>>3426208
Now then they'd be really cool but kinda broken too. You basically wouldn't be able to dogpile them at all: ALL the previous units which came to attack them would be struck too.

Now, 2 retaliations would be actually pretty nice. Maybe somewhat broken too, but not as much.

Except in both cases, people would simply start Imploding them or shooting them from afar. Still, Hydras are awfully slow, and Fortress doesn't even have Prayer. Doesn't fix them
>>
>>3426229
> Actually caring what Blacksmiths produce

>>3426234
Yep. Same with Naga Queens.

I think when making Heroes 3, NWC have greatly overestimated the power of multi-hex attacks. This goes for spells like Inferno and Fireball, and for Hydras too.
>>
The only good part about Walls of Mist
>>
File: csonti.png (23KB, 203x129px) Image search: [Google]
csonti.png
23KB, 203x129px
>>
>>3426542
wat
>>
>>3426553
Lots of skeletons
necro rulz
that is all
Thank you for your time
>>
File: ass.png (778KB, 690x559px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
778KB, 690x559px
>>3426486
damn
>>
>>3426559
That's not a lot of skeletons, come back when you have 7,000 skeletons
>>
>>3426229
> implying you build beyond lvl 2 mage guild on your first town for one-off maps
> implying tazar isnt the best hero in the game and 4def makes beastmasters godly on earlygame wandering stacks
> implying I give a fuck what blacksmiths produce
>>
i am playing through the worlds of xeen pack unspoilered for the first time ever

you jelly? mm6+ after this
>>
>>3426636
The joke's on you, MM games have tons of replayability, your second time can be better than your first
>>
>>3426602
> implying you build beyond lvl 2 mage guild on your first town for one-off maps
Depends on map/town, but I often do this. Tower gets +5 spells of each level. Dungeon and Rampart need lvl 3 anyway for Dragon upgrade. Especially needed with Dungeon, since on lvl 4 you get a chance to grab Armageddon.

> > implying tazar isnt the best hero in the game and 4def makes beastmasters godly on earlygame wandering stacks
> "godly"
What about Solmyr, Crag Hack, Gurnisson, Galthran, Logistics specialists? There's also Neela who starts with spell book and has exactly the same specialty. Early on 4 Def means ~10% less damage. Is this supposed to be a game changer?
>>
the continuity of memes (Real Memes) throughout mm is great

i love that crag hack was part of the mm1 party and sandro was a mm4 dungeon boss. also agar is some obscure guy in mm1 you deliver a letter to
>>
>>3426667
such a shame all of that continuity got thrown out by ubisoft, I wonder why they couldnt just hire the original NWC guys to work on MM again
>>
File: Eye of the eagle.png (1MB, 1920x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Eye of the eagle.png
1MB, 1920x1017px
Map still in progress
>>
>>3426667
>agar is some obscure guy in mm1 you deliver a letter to
In MM6 Agar was the greatest Warlock who made Beholders and became the Lich
>>
>>3426748
bretty gud anon
>>
>>3426662
Very technically Tazar /is/ the best hero in the game, as eventually (level 120 or so) you can have 9,999 Archangels deal 1 damage to your 1 Gnoll, making him better than any other hero in the game including Hack and Gundula

Also Hack and Logistics specialists aren't that good early game

>>3426748
Is this HotA? Will it be SoD compatible?
>>
>>3426787
>Very technically Tazar /is/ the best hero in the game, as eventually (level 120 or so) you can have 9,999 Archangels deal 1 damage to your 1 Gnoll
I thought this was a meme, this can actually happen?
>>
>>3426792
It will never happen in practice either way. Tazar is worse than Crag Hack or Gunnar in a normal game
>>
>>3426787
>Is this HotA? Will it be SoD compatible?
It's Hota, No
Installing Hota is not a problem and it doesn't ruin original Homm like WOG so go on
>>
>>3426805
Can you at the very least disable Cove on that map, they're so fucking broken.
>>
>>3420017
All they need to do is send a cease-and-desist letter.
>>
>>3426835
There will be no Cove or Conflux on the map
>>
>>3426748
420 blaze it faggot
>>
>>3426792

This, offence heroes aren't that great. You can always increase attack with bigger creature stacks and +1 to attack. But defence specialists like Neela, Tazar and the Rampart chick will make sure you won't loose troops and are economical as fuck.
>>
>>3426916
>>3426787

Attack heroes will rush you before your Defender reaches a high level.
>>
>>3426787
>level 120
I don't think it's possible to get to that level desu
>>
>>3426927

And their attack is nullified by high defence. While second and third round their stacks will dwindle.
>>
>>3426932

Yeah the XP scaling has a practical cap of lvl 26-30. After that it's just an exercise in tedium
>>
>>3426760
yeah and one of your first jobs in mm1 was to give him a letter from some bum hanging out in the sorpigal dungeon
>>
I know this is offtopic.

Are there any rts games like Warcraft3 that have a map editor and people still play?
I haven't tried Starcraft but are there similar custom maps?
srry for bad english
>>
>>3426927

Rush tactics and mass haste is highly overrated imo. You're better off with tactics and cape of velocity or wayfarers ring or something like that. Expert air is a waste of a skill slot imo and only good for overworld mobility. Fly is brolen as fuck if you get it early though, because you can bypass a huge amount of enemy encounters and grab all the artifacts and resources without loosing a single troop. Just send your wizard in the caves and let him bring all the loot by running from enemies when he runs out of mana. Otherwise water and fire > air. A mass curse or weakness will help a lot when you're facing lots of hydras or behemoth.
>>
>>3427034
WC3 has probably the most powerful map editor to date.

SC has a shitton of custom maps like Aeon of Strife and the like, but they're more primitive and I don't know if people are still playing them over melee. Regardless, you should certainly play Brood War if you liked WC3.

If you don't care about retro, SC2 and DotA 2 are supposed to have decent custom map support and community
>>
>>3427062
>ou're better off with tactics and cape of velocity or wayfarers ring or something like that
yeah and you're also better off with armageddon's blade than expert fire and black dragons

>fire > air
wwew
>>
>>3427073
Ah, I'd rather stay away from DotA2 as much as possible since I never enjoyed the original map anyway but I did enjoy League at launch.
I think I'm better off going back to WC3 for now since I don't think SC2's map editor would be the custom experience I'm looking for.
Fingers crossed for WC4 coming any time within 10 years.
>>
>>3427081
>wwew

In actual combat yes. You only cast haste one time. In subsequent rounds air magic is pretty useless. Thunderbolt is ok at the start against weak stacks, but in later game a magic arrow will deal almost as much damage. Water and earth have the best buffs and debuffs hands down.
>>
>>3425860
>>3426142
>>3426229
Fortress is a perfectly competitive town. It's played online all the time. It has a distinct strength on many random map templates, because they like putting Dragonfly Hives that reward the conqueror with more Wyverns.

Fortress relies on its cheap cost and utility to get off to a fast start. Get Wyverns day 2 to wreck the map with, aim to get all your dwellings + Castle by end of week 1 if at all possible, stockpile Gorgons is your big plan. Then outfit all scouts with Flies to achieve extremely high speed and chain the fuck out of your units to achieve fast expansion. Conquer everything faster than other towns. If it's a long single player game, then your best approach is to transition to towns that actually have a fucking late game -- best SP strat is always to run around with Archangels/Archdevils/Dragons/anything that's fast and a lot of MP and just utilize Blind/Clone/Ressurect/mass spell tactics to win. Saying "but it has a bad mage guild!" is irrelevant when you can easily conquer any town on the map and that there's so many ways to gain spells.

But if you sit on your ass waiting for Capitol and not milk the early Wyvern power to full extent and end up with no asset in the late game [better leveled up heroes from all the extra battling, a better town to get some shit going like Clone+Archangels or Armageddon+Blackies or Forcefield+Archdevils], or just play on a rich-ass map that allows something dumb like week 1 Angels on 200%, then yeah, Fortress is poor.

Same with Inferno players that don't realize how strong week 2 Efreeti+Castle is, and how many encounters Archdevils can win that no other unit in the game could.

>>3426667
>Crag Hack
>continuity
Crag is also the member of MM3 party because JVCs favourite D&D character was Crag Hack the barbarian. Also in MM3 he's an Evil Dwarf, and neither his MM1 or MM3 incarnation have anything to do with the HoMM continuity.
>>
>>3427081
>fire > air
Air Magic is only needed in MP because games end in early Month 2 at most and you need Expert Haste to keep up; also because the other yin-yang spell of multiplayer is Haste, and Haste/Slow are counters while i.e. Prayer/Slow aren't, otherwise its spells aren't nearly as great for most purposes unless you get the travel ones.

Fire will be much better in SP. Frenzying shooters or some fast non-counterattack units, Expert Berserk being sometimes a mandatory by design [like in Dragon Slayer], albeit really cheesy way to win encounters,
>>
>>3427147
I suggest you stop playing on 80% vs AI and then pretending you know shit.
>>
>>3427183

Come now, haste is easily beaten by the wait command, most creatures won't be able to travel the whole field when hasted anyways.
>>
>>3427187
Yeah, great, let's wait for the other player to attack first, massacre my army with the fastest troops and block my shooters. Receiving some mass slow doesn't hurt either.
>>
>>3427195

Wait command is effectively double attack for when the enemy army walking towards you in the middle of the field. You can even be a little cheeky and place a shooter closer so that all the agro goes towards them while your army is busy beating double attacking and basically beating the shit out of the units that were fast enough to reach through the whole battlefield. Even if you loose, you'll be able to run and leave the enemy army in complete shambles with all the strongest units gone, forcing the enemy hero to backtrack for more reinforcement
>>
>>3425860
>upg. Gnolls have a chance to bash
>upg. Lizards inflict slow on attack OR have no range penalty
>all Wyverns have higher hp
>upg. Hydras have some regen
>>
>>3427309
Wyverns don't need a buff, they're fine where they are considering you can get them day 2 AND get them from dragon fly nests

Gnolls and Lizards definitely need some sort of buff though, they're among the worst creatures in their respective tier and having the worst shooting potential in the game really hurts Fortress

Maybe lizards could have an ability to deal extra damage against targets with debuffs on them, which could synergize nicely with the rest of the lineup
>>
>>3427348

You are aware that an arbitrary number of lizard warriors will beat an equal number of marksmen, assuming leadership and magic and the like are equal, yes?
>>
>>3427156
my nigga
>>
>>3422928
Still, destroying Antigarch was the worst move NWC made.
>>
>Stale match finally winnable at 200 days - Ranked Hell Hound 176 points
>Decimate all enemies in 55 days - Ranked Hell Hound 176 points
How to improve my ranking, senpai???
>>
>>3427607
Fucking this and destroying that world was retarded
>Atomic bomb on half of the world
>Somehow people had time to escape after explosion

Retardness level on maximum
>>
>>3427998
To be honest, the games' universe never made any sense in the first place.
>>
>>3428002
still not as retarded as Antagarich's evacuation
>>
File: eye.png (1MB, 1920x1035px) Image search: [Google]
eye.png
1MB, 1920x1035px
Underground progression
>>
>>3426916
>>3426787
> implying level 120 occurs anywhere outside of ebin 9999 archangels maps
> implying arrow towers wouldn't kill your whole army in 3 turns
> implying you're impenetrable to magic
Also, the big question: have you tested it? Before you make this assumption, you need to know what is the cap for armorer skill—i.e., the lowest possible defense multiplier. Heroes wikia says it's ~0.01—meaning, the Archangels in your case would still do ~1500 damage.

To reach the assumed 100% damage reduction, you need a level of around 113–114. I highly doubt that at that point you truly will reduce all damage to 1. I also doubt that by this point, you will be busy fighting shitty lvl 1 heroes.
>>
>>3425919
they do in WoG

>>3426748
dont use the fill tool, its ugly as sin

>>3428048
too much empty space
>>
>>3427894
Obviously, set the higher difficulty. If you're lazy, at least find the Grail (if there is one).
>>
>>3427156
>Fortress is a perfectly competitive town. It's played online all the time.

It is, but as you said, their key units are Wyverns—they need to be rushed. That's it—that's their best advantage. It's a race against the clock for Fortress. If they come second, they are left in a very unfavorable position.

Having shittier lvl 7 units is justified with Necro because of Necromancy. Having Behemoths is justified with Stronghold because of their insane offense/melee focus (also yeah, they come pretty early too). But with Fortress, Hydras are not justified by anything really.
>>
File: sorrow.png (6KB, 78x65px) Image search: [Google]
sorrow.png
6KB, 78x65px
> Play M&M7
> Find +17 Alchemy skill cape
> Oh boy
> Collect/enchant several rings which could give me +60 Alchemy in total
> Realize the bonuses don't sum up and you only get the highest one

And there I thought I had fooled the game
>>
>>3428168
M&M games have weird mechanics
It's unfriendly for players
>>
>>3428171
Nah, it's cool. It's super interesting, I just wish I knew more about little details like these. I still have only a very vague idea how damage is calculated.

If I really could get such a high bonus, the system would be basically broken:

—get Enchant spell
—get a few good rings with no special properties
—use Enchant on them, save/load until you get a desirable bonus
—get 6 rings which give +15 Armsmaster each
—destroy everything

This would kinda ruin the whole system where skills are very expensive past level 10. Even then, with alchemy skill at 50 everything would get kinda retarded—Divine Cure/Divine Power would get overpowered to hell.

However, you can get armor class bonuses on accessories too, and these bonuses DO sum up, although they aren't super high (or I'm simply not too lucky). So I'm aiming to get those now.
>>
M&M7 question: I recently got GM in ID Monster skill. I see some monsters have low spirit resistance. Is there a way I can exploit this? Can I have a weapon deal spirit damage?
>>
>>3427894
>Play random S map, no underground, weak monsters, 200% difficulty
>Pick town and hero that specializes in tier 1 or 2 creatures and has a good stack of them from the beginning
>Locate and conquer AI town on the first or second day
>Congratulations! You get gorillion points for clearing hardest possible map in shortest possible time!
Seriously though, pursuing high scores, considering how they are calculated, is not worth it in III. You have to set up your self-imposed challenges if you want to improve. If there is a little thing that IV did quite well and that everyone forget to mention, it's the highscore formula. It includes various stuff, like best hero, collected artifacts, percentage of uncovered map, and so on.
>>
>>3428313
> got gm in ID monster

why would you do such a thing
>>
>>3428109
you dont use the fortress lvl 7 the same way as other lvl 7s. apples and oranges
>>
>>3428361
Learn monsters' elemental weaknesses and their attack types. Helped me several times to understand which protection spells to cast. And it's my second run so I'm just having fun really.
>>
>>3428168
I'm always afraid of pursuing high Alchemy. Those potions that permamently give +50 to stats are tempting, but to not blow your whole team to pieces you have to either savescum, or spend tons of gold on temples.
>>
>>3428381
Then just how you use them?

They are too slow for… pretty much anything, really. They're walkers. Their stats are laughable. They do the lowest damage out of all lvl 7 units.

Now, I just love when people say: "yeah it's cool you have Archangels and Black Dragons, but can they HIT 6 ENEMIES AT ONCE THO???". First, how the fuck do you plan to do that? Before you walk to the enemy with hydras, the battle is already over. Second, as I've said many times before—you seriously expect to strike more than 1 enemy all the time? It's not that easy to do even with Liches and Cerberi, to say nothing about the slow-ass Hydras.

No, really, what's your plan? That all the shooters, flyers and so on will conveniently form a circle around your Hydras? Or maybe that you will teleport them right in the heat of battle and cross your fingers that the enemy will not do anything before you get a chance to strike with your speed of 7? Just enlighten us; please do or accept that Hydras are just a shitty lvl 7 unit with no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>3428421
Why? Just look up the recipes in the FAQs. You can buy the recipes if you want to play "fairly". Anyway, just follow the recipes and you won't blow up.

However, speaking of the subject, on my first run with Druid and GM Alchemy, I was really disappointed in the skill. It's literally one-time use. You can get all the needed black potions from shops with a bit of luck; but you can only use them once on a single character. That's it. Then, of course you could try to make money from selling black potions; but it's not much more profitable than just making white potions—less work certainly. IMO, it's not much of a use, and before you get the second Druid promotion, you will be able to buy them anyway.

I'm probably never picking Druid again because of this. Now it would be cool if it multiplied your potion power… But it doesn't. Yeah.
>>
>>3428421
To add to this: in comparison, Master Alchemy is IMO much more useful, if only for Divine Power. Just went to Harmondale several minutes ago, a chest with blue roots respawned there. Collected a bit more yellow flowers and made 6–7 different white potions. 5,000 gold from almost nothing.
>>
>>3428430
Wait a minute.
Hydras are top tier units?
The highest of their faction?
lol,I thought those were 5 or 6
>>
File: army.png (579KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
army.png
579KB, 800x600px
>>3428461
Dude… Yes. They are lvl 7. And yes, they have the same Def and Atk stats as Dread Knights.
>>
File: fu.png (830KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
fu.png
830KB, 1600x900px
>Can't even detect the processor correctly
It's so funny to see my specs fail because they are too good.
Time flies.
Unlike the hydra
>>
>>3428461
>>3428489
Just for comparison:

Chaos Hydras—avg damage 49.0 (x 2 a week)
Archangels—100.00 (x 2)
Arch Devils—63.00 (x 2)
Naga Queens—39.00 (x 4)
Dread Knights—31.50 (x 4)

Source: spreadsheet in Excel. All damage to a unit with 10 Defense.
>>
>>3428504
Naga queen is balanced,because it is rather slow.
Dread knight is fast and strong.
Hydra is slow,and deals 6 tier damage
>>
>>3428498
some games run spec detector before installing and if it fails it won't let you install
>>
>>3428510
That's true, but don't forget Nagas and Naga Queens also attack without retaliations, which makes them really scary. 7 speed is the same as Chaos Hydras, but Naga Queens are lvl 6 units after all.
>>
>>3428521
It let the installation continue,just asked me if I really wanted to install the game even if I don't have the required 32mb ram and an operating system
>Some games won't let you install it
That is just cruel
>>
File: 1458251370931.png (300KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458251370931.png
300KB, 500x500px
>>3428498
>Installing HoMM III Complete
>Not portable version
>>
>>3428591
Might as well use it if I have the original disc
>>
Just when I thought that M&M7 had less pentagrams than Heroes 3, I found the satanic Ayn Rand
>>
>>3428737
Seems like every house in Nighon has some demon summoning pentagram.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (211KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
211KB, 1920x1080px
>>3428770
Yeah, this is kinda interesting how everything is shuffled style-wise in the games.

I still don't get why Kreegans look SO different in the game. I mean, gogs are there; efreeti were present in M&M8, IIRC. But speaking if picrelated, just what is this? Why are Kreegans some Alien- or Zerg-like creatures, with their own queen and a giant heart as a lair? I really don't get it.
>>
>>3428820
Because they are aliens and Angels are robots
>>
>>3428820
>Why are Kreegans some Alien- or Zerg-like creatures, with their own queen and a giant heart as a lair? I really don't get it.
Because that's what they are
>>
>>3428858
>>3428851
But then wht in Heroes III they look like ordinary medieval guys? No living buildings, no queen, no live organism/insect-like aesthetic. Instead, they have the usual brick castles, lots of fire magic/portals. Devils look NOTHING like devils in M&M7. They have weapons and armor.

It's like Zerg would suddenly get blasters and technology and start living in tech bases made of metal.
>>
>>3428504

What if the Chaos Hydra damages 2,3 or 4 enemy creature stacks at once, professor?
>>
>>3428887
People really didn't like the sci-fi aesthetic in the HoMM games, so it wasn't used in them. In fact there was a lot of backlash when NWC was working on Armageddon's Blade and wanted to add a sci-fi faction. It's why we ended up with that Conflux garbage, it was a rush job to replace the Forge faction. What I don't get is why couldn't NWC rebalance Conflux while they were working on Shadow of Death.
>>
>>3428901
Less than 100 people bitched about it and threatened to boycott. They buckled and removed Forge when they should have just improved it and maybe changed the aesthetics instead of ripping out the entire faction to replace it with conflux.
>>
I hate conflux
>>
>>3428901
Yeah, thanks, I'm the guy who has explained this in the previous threads several times.

But you know, I wouldn't call organic monsters strictly sci-fi territory… I think I recall from the back of my mind that medieval depictions of hell had something distantly similar. I mean, there's no technology like blasters and spaceships, right? I guess it'd be fine for Heroes. Well, except that it looks gross.

Anyway it's always assumed that M&M and Heroes have the same Kreegans, when they look like 2 pretty different races in fact.
>>
>>3428923
It's not really assumed when the devs have straight up said that Inferno is full of aliens.
>>
>>3428893
The key word here is "if". No one calls Liches or Cerberi broken for a reason. I have gone over it time and time already: >>3428430

If your lvl 7 unit takes "a few buffs" to become useful, it's a shit lvl 7 unit.
>>
File: Zod.jpg (36KB, 455x340px) Image search: [Google]
Zod.jpg
36KB, 455x340px
>>3428929
No, I mean everyone knows Kreegans are aliens. Both in Heroes and M&M. It's just that they look completely different in M&M6–7 and HoMMIII. Which are supposed, you know, to be set on one continent.

It's come to the point when in Heroes, Kreegans are supposed to be based in Eofol. It's frequently mentioned in the game. And in M&M7, you visit their main base, Colony Zod—see picrelated.

This is what it fucking looks like—literally a giant throbbing heart. No castles, no demons/pit lords/whatever. Just gorilla-like devils with spikes.

Not a word about it in Heroes 3. Not a single mention.
>>
Where the fuck can I download the Succ Wars mod? The links on their site are kill
>>
>>3429261
There's a link to a 3 year old version of the mod on Moddb. I would look around on their forums for a newer beta version.
http://heroes2.forumactif.com/
>>
>>3429261
What the fuck is that thing replacing Pit Lord supposed to be
>>
>>3429327
Those sprites are sadly based on homm6 artwork of inferno.
>>
>>3429327
Some sort of spawner/broodmother thing

Looks a bit silly but it honestly fits because >>3428958

The devil design bothers me more but I think they already changed it to a lankier, less edgy M&M7 design
>>
>>3429347
Are these final sprites? They look nothing like the Devil sprites for the mod which are based on MM6 devils.
>>
>>3428313
>>3428406
No, all you can do is use spirit lash. It's not worth it.
>>
>>3428489
if you buff them a bit they are pretty cool. bless+ something like prayer or even shield/stoneskin are pretty cool. no retaliation is nothing to joke about and especially since they attack several units at once.
>>
>>3429435
If I have to choose between a weak unit that I have to buff with spells to make it usable, or usable unit that I can buff with spells to make it awesome, guess what my choice is going to be. Almost any unit becomes great after casting Prayer and Haste on it. 'No retaliation' means something when it is slapped on fast, possibly flying unit. Who is going to retaliate to hydras when they are moving almost dead last and enemies have exhausted their retaliation in this turn anyway? And ability to attack several units was already discussed in this thread a lot. Maybe you will fool AI to fall for it once or twice, but your living opponent would have to be clinically retarded to let you ravage half of his army with it. Anyway, even against AI, this is usually how it usually goes:
>first opponent comes and hits hydras
>they retaliate to one unit
>rest of opponent units dogpile on hydras that no longer retaliate, crippling or killing them
>>
>>3428109
>That's it—that's their best advantage
Mighty Gorgons are their best advantage. Beastmasters keep them alive with their high Defense, and if you're playing a large, longer map, you can just Expert Earth Ressurect them and aim for the death stares, which have a cumulative chance of occuring.

Dragon Flies are also Fortress' advantage. Which other town can outfit all their scouts with creatures this fast? They're also perfect for getting retaliation off units before the powerstack attack and applying Weakness is a nice perk too.

>But with Fortress, Hydras are not justified by anything really.

Hydras can win you battles that you wouldn't be able to take on with any other faction without losses. Any Beastmaster - not just Tazar - can take only a couple of Hydras and beat Dragon Utopias with no real qualm. Hydras trivialize breaking banks and dealing with some walker encounters. They're a creeping unit.
>>
File: vZwV8Zy.png (20KB, 316x204px) Image search: [Google]
vZwV8Zy.png
20KB, 316x204px
>>3429351
>>3429350
I don't think those are the latest Inferno sprites.
>>
>>3429526
b-b-but muh speadsheet said chaos hydras are unusable!
>>
>>3429458
maybe you kinda suck at fights

not like you play online otherwise you wouldnt have retarded opinions about fortress.

you even said their only strength is wyverns kek
>>
>>3428442
at least there's that rejuvenation potion to restore the permanent aging from divine intervention so you can use them a lot more liberally.
>>
I remember dwarves and dwarven warriors being so annoying in HoMMII
In 3 they are shit but in 2 they gave me quite a bit of grief
>>
>>3430126
Well, yeah. Too bad I chose the dark path on my first run when I had a druid.
>>
>>3429526
> Mighty Gorgons are their best advantage.
Speed of 6. Walking. No immunities.

> aim for the death stares
Undead. Elementals. Golems. Low-level units.

> which have a cumulative chance of occuring.
Weekly growth of 6. Logistical nightmare.

> you can just Expert Earth Ressurect
Is it me, or getting the spell is not that trivial? Maybe I've played Tower for too long, but even with Libraries it's a 30% probability. On a large map—maybe, but still you have a good chance of not getting it, after building several guilds to lvl 4. Just happened to me several times on a large map, as well as in every game before it too.

> Which other town can outfit all their scouts with creatures this fast?
Here I agree—you won't find any creature with speed of 13. But, first of all, for scouts, speed over 11 doesn't matter that much—they will still have 2000 movement points even if you give them Phoenixes. Unless, of course, you want to flee an enemy hero when you encounter him.

Second, minimum unit speed of 9 means 1900 movement for a hero. Huge difference? Not really, this means basically minus one square travelled. So, Castle has Royal Griffins, Tower has Obsidian Gargoyles, Conflux has Sprites. Most other factions have lvl 1–3 units with speed of 8 (1830 movement), except Necro.

I'd say that actually, the biggest advantage of having Dragon Flies is when it comes to actual combat, because you will almost always get the first turn. They have the best speed from all units up to lvl 6, tied only with Efreet Sultans.

> Any Beastmaster - not just Tazar - can take only a couple of Hydras and beat Dragon Utopias with no real qualm.
Now finally someone actually gave a good example where Hydras can be useful. Only I'm still skeptical how you're going to win against several stacks of dragons with just "a couple" of Hydras. Using dragons' friendly fire and exploiting breath attack? Also, not every map has utopias.
>>
>>3429858
"Muh spreadsheet" shows exactly 1 thing: that if you damage only 1 unit with hydras, they're worthless pieces of swamp shit, which require crutches just to fight properly.
>>
>>3430393
>Speed of 6. Walking. No immunities.
Massive defense and high HP. How do they pass comparison with other units of the level?

>Undead. Elementals. Golems. Low-level units.
Against any of those you use different tactics. Might as well just say that archer-focused armies are terrible against Centaur Captains or Dragons, or that Black Dragons suck because you can't Ressurect them.

>Weekly growth of 6. Logistical nightmare.
Learn to chain. Get TP.

>Is it me, or getting the spell is not that trivial?
Pandora Boxes, Scrolls, tomes... And if the map is so small/game so short you won't even reach high spell levels, well, guess fucking what, Fortress thrives in that environment.

>But, first of all, for scouts, speed over 11 doesn't matter that much
Makes all the difference in scout wars in whether you or the opponent gets mgic arrow'd. Second of all, Flies are a thing you can outfit your scouts with Day 1. For everything else you mentioned, except maybe Sprites, you won't have that luxury.

> Only I'm still skeptical how you're going to win against several stacks of dragons with just "a couple" of Hydras. Using dragons' friendly fire and exploiting breath attack? Also, not every map has utopias.

>Utopias
High defense, Cure, a few fodder stacks to have the dragons waste their first turn advantage. A single Hydra is enough to take care of all the Dwarven Treasuries and other more minor banks, makes for great cost-efficiency.

>>3430406
Is Archdevils imba combo with Forcefield that beats most of the AI in the game a crutch, then?
>>
>>3430393
you dont use mighty gorgons on lvl 1 stacks and fucking golems, dumbass.
>>
>>3420071
Didn't see shit. Such is life in a city.
>>
What is the best template for a comfy play with friends? 'True random'?
>>
>>3430871
Jebus cross
>>
>>3430867
I live in a city and I saw a couple. Admittedly, in a neighborhood far from the center.
>>
>>3430552
> Massive defense and high HP. How do they pass comparison with other units of the level?
Quite well, I agree. But you just imply that the opponent is dumb enough to let the fucking speed 6 unit to his lvl 7s. Something tells me anyone with half a brain will eat up the Gorgon's retaliation first, then strike them with a lvl 7. Or simply Slow them and shoot them from afar.

> Learn to chain. Get TP.
> Pandora Boxes, Scrolls, tomes...
Oh, I get it now! Gorgons are amazing! You just have to chain, use TP and get Resurrection. Great. This is a very Gorgon-specific tactic. You couldn't use chaining, TP and Resurrection with any other unit for similar results, right?

Also,
> Makes all the difference in scout wars in whether you or the opponent gets mgic arrow'd.
> TP
Are we talking single or multiplayer, again? In any case, what about separating flies to several stacks?

> A single Hydra is enough to take care of all the Dwarven Treasuries and other more minor banks, makes for great cost-efficiency.
Oh yeah, you totally need lvl 7 units to take Dwarven Treasuries. I can't wait to take the Hydras to Crypts, just imagine the potential. Huge cost efficiency, you just need a lvl 7 dwelling and you're like done.

> Is Archdevils imba combo with Forcefield that beats most of the AI in the game a crutch, then?
It's not: the difference is that Arch Devils are at quite usable. They don't need Teleport spell to just move around. They also have high enough initiative to guarantee you cast your spell first.

>>3430682
That's what I was trying to say. It's quite sad you didn't get it really
>>
>>3431556
if fortress is so garbage, why does it have 3rd best win/lose ratio on WCL and why is Tazar 5th best and most frequent pick the answer is of course MGs and wyverns

additionally yes, you can chain and use ressurection with any other army, but mighty gorgons are among the best units in the game so you will get more bang for your buck by doing all that AND using your gorgons intelligently

and no, you don't need lv 7s to break banks. but hydra pond is the fastest lv7 dwelling to get this side of behemoths, cheap to boot, and while not mandatory, they will help greatly to conserve losses like perhaps no other faction can boast
>>
>>3431709
I completely agree with everything you said. I even said exactly the same in all of my posts.

But what I want to stress is: Fortress is hard to play. It's not a beginner faction. It's not even an intermediate faction.

Even then, it's almost like it was specifically tailored for random maps like Jebus and multiplayer—because of hives and all that. On other maps, not centered so much around pandoras, scrolls, hives and so on (like in most non-random scenarios), I think they do noticeably worse: they can't level Tazar to some ridiculous levels in a matter of days, and 3 levels of Mage Guild become a real disadvantage.

In any case, with Fortress you need to play all your cards REALLY well. Pretty much every one of their units has its obvious weak sides and strong sides. If you're good, you can manage to play down the former and expose the latter. But nothing will help you if do it the other way around.
>>
File: 1357496702420.jpg (215KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1357496702420.jpg
215KB, 1280x720px
>>3430370
>Warlock promotion on a first run through
It's kind of nice when you actually get it, but by that point the game is basically over.
>>
>>3431819
can't you go to eofol as soon as you reach nighon? but then again, making it through the tunnel to eofol and finding the dragon cave is a bitch if you're underleveled
>>
>>3431819
Yep, it was just pretty dumb… I wished so much I had chosen a Sorcerer instead, I could've gotten the second promotion much earlier and all the elemental magic GMs with it. Also, GM ID Monster/Item on the first run would have been nice too
>>
>>3431842
BTW I recently watched a speedrun of MM7, it goes like this

> Get to Harmondale
> Don't fight or complete ANY quests yet
> Get invisibiility/fly/town portal through NPCs/scrolls ASAP
> Go to Barrow Downs
> Go to Nighon
> Go to Eofol (yep, still no killing anyone)
> Exploit the bug where you can drink from a certain well even if you die
> Get a shitload of skill points
> Warp to Harmondale and basically start playing "normally" while having insanely overpowered heroes

But in any case, it was my first run ever, I wish I knew a lot more about the game
>>
>>3431860
I need to watch this
>>
>>3431863
https://youtu.be/LxPKyf3cCi8
>>
>>3431875
thanks
>>
>>3431842
Technically you can, but there really isn't a reason to until you have gotten all the way to the Xenofex quest. Even if you make it at level 1, you still get contacted by Archibald as though you were on the right part of the main line quest.
>>
>>3431795
its not really any harder to play than the factions other than necro, castle, or conflux.
>>
>>3431556
>But you just imply that the opponent is dumb enough to let the fucking speed 6 unit to his lvl 7s.

Hey, people let Skeletons and Demons do that all the time, otherwise Necro wouldn't be so imba and Inferno wouldn't have a saving grace, right?

If you actually want your lvl 7 units to do any damage, you will probably put them in the fray. Slowing them and shooting from afar = yay, you get to shoot once with, presumably, a broken arrow and then they get Hasted and you're eaten.

>Are we talking single or multiplayer, again?

How does me mentioning TP offhandedly in a previous paragraph invalidate anything? Flies are a massive advantage. You can buy them at day 1, no upgrades, and every hero gets one. No one else gets this advantage. Separating flies to several stacks - but why would you put so many on a scout anyway?

>Oh yeah, you totally need lvl 7 units to take Dwarven Treasuries. I can't wait to take the Hydras to Crypts, just imagine the potential. Huge cost efficiency, you just need a lvl 7 dwelling and you're like done.

The idea that I can have my lvl 7, often with Castle, by the end of the first week, and use it solely for roaming around because it's this self-reliant while keeping the rest of my army [say, Wyverns, or a powerstack of Gnolls] somewhere else, to expand even further and do more encounters of this kind early, didn't occur to you?
>>
M&M7: I am now narrowing the end of the game. Light path, 2 monks–sorcerer-cleric. I need to go to the Pit. Do I kill everyone or simply cast Invisible?
>>
>>3432958
kill some necromancer scum imo
>>
>>3432960
What are the downsides? Does it lower reputation? If yes—does it affect much? I have GM Merchant in case it matters
>>
>>3433009
After I went edgy and cleansed Celeste of all life, Archibald jailed me for a year. I'm not sure about the reputation.
>>
>>3433034
Archibald?… wat?… why?…

Anyway, several days ago I was going through the Elves vs Erathia "war" quests. I guess I had harmed someone in Erathia occasionally: when I arrived to Catherine, I was suddenly jailed for a year.

Then I decided to load the game and go to town hall instead. Turned out I simply had to pay a fine of 600. After that my reputation was seemingly reset back to 0 and Catherine didn't want to jail me anymore.

So… Did you occasionally harm anyone at the Pit?
>>
>>3433043
No. I didn't understand shit at all. I've only harmed people in Celeste and the golems in Bracada.
I was visiting Archibald to get grandmaster dark magic and then I got a year in jail.
>>
>>3433049
That's just ridiculous… I wonder if going to townhall and paying the fine would solve it. In any case, I think technically, Archibald would be happy to genocide the entirety of Celeste and Bracada with it, raise them as dead and them genocide them again just for the heck of it.
>>
File: angry shibe.jpg (353KB, 961x1280px) Image search: [Google]
angry shibe.jpg
353KB, 961x1280px
> realize I still haven't gotten Knight promotion for light path
> get the quest
> "go to Arena and win 5 fights at Knight level"
> should be a piece of cake, all my party is at lvl 40, fully promoted and with all combat GMs
> go to Arena, cast all buffs
> fucking Behemoths and necromancers rape my party at every hole
> this can't be, let's try again
> another fucking time I get raped even harder
What the fuck arghhhh
>>
>>3433057
Damn, you can just pay a fine? I guess there's so much to do in Might and Magic.
I guess it might just be that murdering peasants is condemned by everyone.
Or I might be an idiot.
>>
>>3433075
It's probably a fine… That system is kinda weird. I'm trying to understand it, but there is not much information about it online. Many people on forums and boards just keep guessing how it works.

The walthrough by Lord Haart from GameFAQs has the following info:

>Why do the lords keep on throwing me in jail?
>You have a fine to pay. You probably stole something and were caught, or you killed a
peasant at one point or another. Check your awards screen, and it'll show how many fines you
have to pay. You can pay them at any Town Hall.

I can't vouch it's absolutely correct, but in my experience this has been exactly like he says.

Anyway, you reputation is regional. So technically, what happened in Celeste stays in Celeste. It shouldn't affect anything in the Pit.

Also, apparently, you can check if you have fines to pay on your Awards screen. After you go to jail they probably vanish though…
>>
>>3433089
I see. Yeah, it's probably just me doing something and forgetting it. At least the horseshoes respawned, so shrapmetal got even more deadly.
I'm really having the time of my life with this game. It completely revived my interest in video games.
>>
>>3433097
Same here. Usually, I barely can last in a console RPG until the end. When I finished M&M, I immediately started a new game just to try another party.

Funny how I actually learned about the series. Around 2001 or so, I was 10 and I saw M&MVIII on sale at a mall. I thought it was Heroes VIII, so I was really confused where parts IV–VII were. Then I literally had a dream about how Heroes 3 would look if it was a first person game (I was 10 years old so my imagination ran wild). I told about it to my classmate and he said that Might and Magic VIII was basically it.

I got the game and got stuck in the beginning for several months. Then the same classmate told me what to do and also recommended me to equip everyone with bows. I didn't even know how to level up. I couldn't even understand the controls for Fly spell… Sometimes I wonder if I'm retarded.
>>
>>3433128
I had tried mm6, but I didn't really understand the game and died to the goblin hordes until I so wisely decided that the game was shit. After seeing it discussed here last week, I decided to try again, mm7 this time.
At first I did the same shit. Created a useless party (KTPS) and died to the dragonflies.
Then I created a new party, and I slowly learned the game: Buy bow skill for everyone, turn-based when needed and so on.
I've barely done anything else then plying mm7.
>>
File: 1434980113551.jpg (32KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1434980113551.jpg
32KB, 400x381px
>>3433143
>died to the goblin hordes until I so wisely decided that the game was shit
Did it ever occur to you at any point to read the manual?
>>
>>3433183
Nope.
>>
>>3433181
>>3433183
dumb frogposter
>>
File: Capture.png (716KB, 768x938px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
716KB, 768x938px
>>3433185
The manual has a guide that babies you through the first quest.

>>3433189
dumb dumb frogposter poster
i accidentally hit enter and posted before finishing my post
>>
>>3433183
You guys had manuals. We had games in jewel cases in Russia. I didn't even know they came on the CD—sometimes.
>>
>>3433143
Yep—the game itself doesn't have too much hand-holding.

Remembering my experience with MM8, I deliberately started from reading the FAQs and stuck to them because I was really afraid to get lost. Picked a pretty vanilla KMDC party (chose Druid because I was under impression I'd need lots of potions… yeah).

My biggest mistake was that I had "always run" turned on during most of the game. My second biggest mistake was that I clicked the enemies instead of just holding "A". Another one was that I bothered equipping the monk with a staff.

When I learned all the ""tricks"" the game became surprisingly easy.
>>
What faction do you think is the most fun to play in HoMM III?
I always find fortress to be fun, despite their drawbacks. Using mighty gorgons against tier 7 units is amusing. The feeling when you actually hit multiple units with Lord Hydra of Fortress, the Destructoid of Swamps, is amazing
>>
>>3433405
To me it's probably Castle and Inferno.

You can tell NWC were generous to Castle. Archangels are beasts. Almost every unit has some special ability which makes them at least above average. Plus all the stuff like Water Magic, Stables and so on.

And Inferno are just badass. Weak, sure, but nothing beats the aesthetical pleasure of having Devils, Pit Fiends and Cerberi at your command. Although i wish they kind of stuck with this theme—17 years later, I'm still not *quite* sure Efreeti fit in there. They're just not evil.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (187KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
187KB, 1280x720px
Sup guys,

I'm newbie to this general. I'm playing HoMM II, Roland campaign and I just finished
penultimate episode. It took me about ~5 months of ingame time to finish it (first 4 months I was mostly defensive), which is a lot. Now I'm about to start the final scenario and I heard it's insane, so I'd appreciate some tips. For instance, which handicap should I choose in the beginning? -250 gold every day, -2 moral, or Hideous mask (preventing neutral units from joining my army)?. I chose to get Ultimate Crown instead of army before, btw.
>>
Fuck yes, I've finally managed to make picrelated. Perfect for opening chests while invisible.

So far, with Enchant Item spell at GM level, I've got:

—Armsmaster, Dodging, Unarmed +15 (plus/minus 2) for both of my monks

—Disarm Trap +17 for one of them (pictured)

—Alchemy +17, ID Item +13 and Armor Class +50
for the Sorcerer

Potentially, I could even reach +100 AC with rings alone for the Sorcerer, which is a huge bargain.
>>
>>3433482
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFGS4QI4EmI
>>
>>3433606
He chose to gather the army instead of The Ultimate Crown in this SR, which I guess change the tactics little bit.
>>
>>3433482
>>3433624
With the army all you have to do is get some levels and spells then zerg the fuck out of Archi. It's so much easier with the army. The only reason to get the shield is if you want to try to max score. A crappy crown or shield is no match for more than a dozen black dragons.

>>3433487
You can buy up to 17 disarm rings from the Misc shop in Bracada and Deyja.
>>
>>3433482
I'm doing this with the crown myself and I have a few pointers:
>You start with four strong mages - Roland himself, a Sorceress, a Wizard, and a hirable Sister Eliza [get her day 1].
>Your Knight can be turned into your main hero- equip him with all the upg. archers you can get + like 2 champions to block archers and have him ruin walker stacks. Decide whether your starting Knight or Roland should be your main; Knight will have more physical stats [which is great for big final battles] and decent mana, plus you can surrender/retreat with him if he fucks up exploration; I prefer to keep Roland on the defensive, if he dies/retreats/surrenders, its over.
>Have all the mages equip the fastest unit they can get [phoenix, champion] and only that unit and roam around and kill and flag as much as you can
>Do not buy any Giants until you have improved the dwelling, unit improvement is extremely costly
>when you get a Titan, you can outfit any hero with them and use solely them [+ maybe Cure] to clear the map
>your first main objective should be the Warlock castle smack dab in the middle of the place
>Statrt with Hideous Mask/Fizbin, give it to a trash hero and have him scout or collect resources
>>
What's a good Might and Magic game to start with? Are the NES/SNES games worth playing?
>>
>>3434537
6-8 if you just want some background on HoMM.

3 if you want to follow the series. Use the DOS versions in the OP. The console ports are awful.
>>
>>3434537
Start with either 3 or 6. I actually think 3 is simpler and easier to learn but it is a game from '91 so you better take notes if you want to remember what to do. Always read the manual that's included with the package and just play the PC and DOS versions of the games. I thinkg 3-5 are different enough that you can go back to them after playing 6-8 and still enjoy them.
>>
>>3433487
Shit, this pic caught me off guard, wasn't expecting a M&M craving and now I'm installing 6
>>
>>3434059
>You can buy up to 17 disarm rings from the Misc shop in Bracada and Deyja.
Hm, thanks for the info. Next time I play I will definitely head there first thing. Got absolutely tired of trapped chests on my first run, especially in the haunted mansion in Barrow Downs.

The problem though is that misc shops are even more random than Enchant Item spell… Yeah, technically, they have 8 (or was it 10?…) different items every time in "special" section and you can save/load before you visit them and they will have different wares. But sometimes I simply don't get ANY rings there. Often, I see the following pattern: 1–3 items which spawn are silly things like reagents/bottles, another 2–3 are crowns or something else like that, a few gems (I have no idea why would you buy it in a shop, ever), and maybe 1–2 rings and some amulet. The rings can be enchanted or not.

And with gauntlets, cloaks and boots, it's much more complicated… How many times I saw some basic +2 armor boots with some nice bonus to Armsmaster? You basically have to compromise: either you get nice skill bonus, or have decent armor. That's why rings are much more reliable.

In comparison, with Enchant item, it goes like this: you get a good quality ring—you cast the spell—you look at the result—you save or try again. It's much faster to scroll through random results and pick the ones you need. BTW, I found out that during the glowing blue animation of Enchant Item spell, you can actually cancel it by pressing Esc.

But of course when you don't have Water GM, you simply don't have a choice.
>>
>>3428361
That's why I like ID monster GM. Shows the element of enemy's attack, their spells and all their weaknesses. Also showed me that liches always cast Pain Reflection. I was able to clean out ~30 necros in the Pit with just Dispel/Prismatic Light combo.

However, the elemental weaknesses are not as important as I had thought… For example, from my Heroes 2 memory, I tried fire magic on water elementals. It didn't do more damage. Turns out they are only immune to water.

Still, what I learned is most enemies in late game have pretty low light/dark magic resistances, and for some reason or another, most of them are weak to spirit magic. Except I can only harm them with Spirit Lash which works kinda weird.
>>
>>3435029
never noticed how ripped those guys are, wonder where the find the time in between the magic studying and shit
>>
>>3428521
>>3428528
For HoMM and also 99% of all other games all you have to do to for installation to not even ask/continue regardless is replace a single JXX -> JS / NOP. Literally just 2 bytes (1 in the former case) of the .exe.
>>
>>3435250
Do you even GM Bodybuilding bro??
>>
>>3435475
but sorcerers can't get GM bodybuilding
>>
>>3435482
Yep, I was just kidding. I've simply always found the skill name "bodybuilding" quite funny.

I guess the real answer might be simple—that NWC simply used similar models with different heads, or something like that. Or that mages channel some power through their bodies.
>>
File: Forgetfulness.png (6KB, 78x65px) Image search: [Google]
Forgetfulness.png
6KB, 78x65px
> Get GM Light
> Characters start becoming weak more often than usual
> I am thinking, "Huh? Must have been 24 hours of game time already. Makes sense since I warp instead of traveling now. OK, I'll warp back and rest at a tavern"
> Go to Nighon dungeon
> Cast Hour of Power to not cast five different buffs
> Play through the dungeon for half an hour
> Suddenly, characters become weak
> "What the fuck? I just took a rest…"
> Ok, rest in some empty spot
> Some time passes
> AGAIN WEAK! WHAT THE FUCK?? Is this some cursed ground?… I have Protection from Magic, monsters can't possibly inflict that!…
> Open a FAQ
> Suddenly remember that Hour of Power casts Haste which makes characters weak after it wears off
> oh
MFW
>>
>>3435820
Yeah, you got to constantly refresh HoP if you don't your party to get weakened.
>>
>>3435842
Yep, that kinda sucks. 45 SP is quite a lot, too. Right now I feel I have little problems cleaning the dungeon I'm in, so I'll just ditch it for the time being.

By the way, I haven't checked how much better Hour of Power is compared to casting spells one by one. All I've read is:

> Simultaneously casts Haste, Heroism, Shield, Stoneskin, and Bless on all your characters at 4 times the skill points.
What does it even mean?… That if I have 10 skill points in Light magic, it'll cast these spells as if I had 40 in Spirit/Fire/whatever magic?… Beats me.

In any case, it has pretty long recovery, and doesn't cast some very necessary stuff like Protection from Magic, Stone Fists (I have 2 monks), and I'm fine without Haste and even Stone Skin anyway. I forgot to get GM Meditation with my cleric, so the SP is tight.
>>
Anyone knows why do shops even sell gems in M&M7? They are completely useless, and IIRC there's no single quest where you need them.
>>
do INT and PER stack for druids in terms of spell points in MM6&7? Or should I just focus on one stat?

I see conflicting reports on the internet
>>
>>3436242
>Intellect - Intellect governs elemental magic. Sorcerers, Druids, Archers, Thieves, and Rangers get bonus spell points for high Intellect Scores, other classes gain no bennefits from this attribute

>Personality - Personality governs Self magic. Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Monks, and Rangers all get bonus spellpoints for high Personality. Charachters also require high personality scores to qualify to learn Expert and Master ranking in the Merchant skill. Clasess without Self
magic or the Merchant skill gain no bennefit from this attribute.

But! In the end, the basic stats—Intellect/Personality included—don't matter much. Why? See picrelated. In the whole game, you probably won't get them over 80, where the bonuses become gradually smaller and smaller.

For maximizing your spell points, you need:
—get 2 promotions
—level up Meditation.
>>
>>3436242
Best way to test this would be to go to the barrels in new sorpigal with a druid and compare your spellpoints before and after.
>>
>>3436270
I think he will get the bonus, but really it's pretty negligible, at least after the beginning.

Even late in the game, when you get the 2nd promotion and have 75+ Personality, it gets you just 45 more spell points. Same goes for Intelligence. You can get rings which give you +15SP quite easily.

At level 40, you will have at least 200 SP. GM Meditation gets Druid 250 more SP at least. 45 less or more doesn't really change much.
>>
>>3436287
The promotions are what really matters you're right.
>>
>>3435883
With haste especially you want to use Hour of Power. Haste itself wears off so fast it's very rarely worth casting unless you have OCD.

Basically what it does is with haste it's what 1 hour +3m/skill? With 4x the effect that makes the spell last 4 hour +12x/skill.

With light you always cast Day of Protection and Day of the Gods. Once you get to a decent level hour of power. Always have regeneration on everyone and protection from magic on. Preservation and detect life are nice add-ons but not essential.

>>3435023
With the shops there are some issues:
1) It's ridiculously expensive. Expect to pay 3x vendor cost.
2) There are almost always better items they sell (of water/body/light/dark magic, of plenty). You should always check on them because you can get level 5 items with no risk.
3) You can always enchant better armsmaster/dodge/uinarmed skill than you can buy.
>>
>>3436150
They just randomly generate a miscellaneous item of the vendor level. It's the same reason the ore crafters give them. No there isn't a use for them.

>>3436242
Yes but at half the effect because you can use either. Because of how scaling works, it's almost completely useless going over 50 of anything.

Either way it's almost always better to just use a +spell points item unless your skill is lower than 21.
>>
>>3436290
>>3436242
Yep. Just to give an example, here's my Druid turned Warlock from my last run (no plot spoliers, but some late-game items). He had 815 SP, here's an approximate breakdown of it:

Level 66 * 5SP/level = 330 SP, +10SP starting bonus.

GM Meditation, 15 points: 5SP/level*15 points*Quintuple effect=375.

So; 715 SP at least comes from promotions/levels and Mediation. More than half of it comes from GM Mediation, too.

The rest, 100 points? Refer to the table I posted >>3436269 : 169 Intelligence gives just 13*5=65 bonus points. Personality gives 7*5=35.

715 + 65 from INT + 35 from PER = 815SP. And I didn't even try to level Personality, it just happened.
>>
>>3436269
whoa, weird. so day of the gods really isn't as good as i always thought?
>>
>>3436315
> Yes but at half the effect because you can use either.
I've just made calculations >>3436315 , and they happened to get me exactly the number of SP I had. So I assume PER/INT bonuses aren't halved, but I agree they don't matter much anyway.

> They just randomly generate a miscellaneous item of the vendor level. It's the same reason the ore crafters give them. No there isn't a use for them.
Actually, I've just finally figured it… With Stealing, you can rob shops, right? That's what they're here for, I think. Otherwise, they're totally useless.

>>3436305
I don't really use Haste. Does it even do anything if you already have minimal possible recovery time? In any case, I already clear Behemoths with relative ease, don't think I'll need it much.

What about Stone Skin though? Compared to standalone spell, Hour of Power simply lasts longer, or does it protect better? I really can't see the difference.

Day of Protection is great. Saves time and skill points, in the end it gives more resistance than Fire/Water/etc Protection cast separately.

Day of the Gods though—not so much… As >>3436315 mentioned, going over 50 is pretty much useless with base stats.

> 1) It's ridiculously expensive. Expect to pay 3x vendor cost.
Yeah, since I may try it pretty early, this could prove to be very annoying to deal with.
>>
>>3436351
>I don't really use Haste.

wait till you get blasters, my man
>>
>>3436351
i always spam haste, you don't get the weak effect if you're always using it :)
>>
>>3436345
Exactly. And yeah, this is actually really unorthodox. In most other RPGs I (and probably you too) have played, base stats are the cornerstones of the gameplay. They directly determine the power of the characters.

M&M7 is the first game I've played where at first you can spend half an hour adjusting and tailoring them to your tastes, but several hours later they don't mean shit anymore.

It's so ridiculous that the difference for a Warlock between 50 Intelligence and 99 Intelligence is… 5 spell points. That's it. There's no difference at all between 75 and 99 INT.

The only places where it matters are:

1) 2 or 3 skills like Merchant and Bodybuilding, with which teachers require you to have at least 50 of Personality/Endurance respectively;

2) When you get knocked out but BEFORE you die, you still have "negative" HP. It's determined by your Endurance. AFAIK it's exactly eaul to your Endurance stat, so 80 Endurance will add 80 more HP after the knockout but before you pass out. Still, Preservation spell allegedly increases this, and it's not that important anyway.

So yeah, that's why Day of the Gods doesn't do shit late in the game.
>>
>>3436357
>>3436353
Did you know that in the original game, Haste simply didn't work because of a bug? It didn't do shit. It was just a placebo. But, allegedly GreyFace patch fixed it. Don't know if any official patches did.

Still, I'm not keen on using it—my whole party is 2 unarmed monks and 2 spellcasters. Monks already hit at max speed, spellcasters just cast shit or add some neglectable damage. I don't even know if Haste does anything anymore.
>>
>>3436353
I am always getting kinda annoyed when I remember that in the end all of my skills will go to shit when I get blasters. Kinda want to go baster-free this run
>>
>>3436414
i agree. i like the sci-fi in MM but blaser are so ridiculously OP. then again, i guess i could just not use them

this is one reason i really like MM8
>>
>>3436421
I haven't delved into it, but I think it might not be as just as OP as it seems. I had a knight on my last run who dealt 85–93 dmg with spear. With blaster, it was only 11–23.

Note that blaster skill proficiency only adds to attack bonus. In traditionally unorthodox M&M system, attack only determines the chance of hitting the enemy, not the damage. So, it's basically accuracy. And it will stay this way forever.

Of course blasters can shoot way faster, but as I said I didn't delve into it very deep
>>
>>3436456
none of that really matters when you can just hold down the attack key and mow down titans, dragons, and hydras at a distance without a scratch
>>
>>3436462
Yep, that's true—unfortunately.

The problem is also that Titans have pretty high resistance to pretty much anything. And blasters, from what I read, have their own attack type which no creature resists at all.
>>
>>3436405
>Did you know that in the original game, Haste simply didn't work because of a bug?
The bug was for MM7 and MM8. MM6 is the most polished and bugfree one of the three since the other two were somewhat rushed.
>>
>>3436494
Resistances are bullshit in M&M7 with light and dark magic being way better than every other school of magic.
>>
>>3436351
The reason you cast Day of the Gods is it costs all of 5 gold to restore your spell points and even scaled way down +200 all stats is definitely useful.
>>
>>3434587
>>3434630
Something about the 3 generations of MM games should go in the OP pastebin. This has been and will be asked at least once in every thread.
>>
>>3436772
I can take one of the well made posts about it (and modify to fit my bias) and add it to the pastebin. I still need to add Heroes 1 and 2 to the mega too.
>>
>>3436885
what about Heroes 5
>>
>>3436886
Not him, but I'd argue the best reason to avoid it is that it isn't a /vr/ topic.
>>
>>3436886
never ever

>>3436902
neither is HoMM4
fuck tha police
>>
what makes the M&M series so comfy, bros?
>>
>>3436986
the goofiness of it and the fact it doesn't take itself seriously, wish modern rpgs could have fun with itself, but its gotta be serious and gritty all the time
>>
>>3436986
Truly nonlinear RPG series where you can fuck off and do random shit as soon as you hit the start button. Also actually useful utility spells and skills.
>>
>>3434296
Thanks for the advices pals. I actually played it for several hours yesterday, but I did some major fuckups and now have to start from the beginning
>chose Roland as main heroe because muh plot
>forgot about the dangerous potential of warlock castle
Now is my only save in position, where I have Roland in warlock area without any movement points and when I hit "End Turn", overpowered warlock with 10 black dragons, 90 griffins and minotaur kings and 300 centaurs starts fight with me and I am fucked. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>3437894
Don't know about II, but in III keeping only 1 save in campaigns is suicidal. It's not about savescumming—it's just about not having to replay a whole map just because of a tiny fuckup. HoMM is not a super fast game.

Just in case, I make a new save every 2–3 turns. So that when I know that I've fucked up, I could go back. I simply don't have enough time to replay one map for 5 hours again.
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.