[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Castlevania history:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

Is there any information on the early history of Castlevania (86-90)? I'm really curious as to who actually made the series. Who wrote the story?

Nothing in English seems to exist. Is there any material in Japanese? I checked through shmuplations, and the earliest date they have is 93. Nothing on the first three Famicom games.

Isn't it sad that one of the biggest and longest running gaming series has its origins surrounded in mystery?
>>
File: RGA_conanbarbarian460[1].jpg (24KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
RGA_conanbarbarian460[1].jpg
24KB, 460x276px
>>3412486

One thing to note is that Simon Belmont's design seems to come from Conan The Barbarian film. Yet again, we see Arnold Swartzenegger influencing game design.
>>
I'll give you a bump out of curiosity.
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 960x960px
I always wanted to learn more about hagihara - the director of both dracula x games (sotn and rondo)

Not a lot of info out there about the director of the best castlevanias
>>
>>3412486
Well, the director of Akumajou Dracula and Densetsu vanished after making those games.
>>
>>3413738
He vanished as in he's not in the industry, or he vanished as in re-enacted with a voice-over by Robert Stack?
>>
>>3413756
Check this out. His name was Alan Stewart, father of the Castlevania franchise:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,99423/
>>
>>3413762
>Amigavania

STOP POSTING THAT GARBAGE GODDAMN
>>
>>3413767
You are just a fanboy. The Amiga version happens to be much better than the poor NES game.
>>
>>3413756
Former. Nobody really knows who he was, but people who worked for Konami around that period claims that it was a certain Hitoshi Akamatsu.
>>
>>3413771
>>3413762

lol, australia kun stop drinking for at least a night goddamnit.
>>
Castlevania was made first, and Vampire killer second with a different team.

Credits for Castelvania:

>Director: Hitoshi Akamatsu
>Producer: Akihiko Nagata
>Programmer: Akihiko Nagata
>Artist: Noriyasu Togakushi
>Composers: Kinuyo Yamashita, Satoe Terashima

We can make educated guesses based on how other Famicom games were made. Programmer Nagata creates the game's engine, and shapes what can or cannot be done in the game. Akamatsu is the director and writer. Old games lacked a dedicated writer, with the director usually filling that role. Often directors did some sprite work too, usually principal characters. Togakushi creates enemy sprites and/or backgrounds. There may have been more artists involved in the game.

So Akamatsu is likely the series creator.
>>
>>3414704

yeah that makes sense.
>>
>>3412486
If i remember well, most of the staff back then used pseudonyms because konami and many other companies were afraid of their rivals "stealing" their workers with better job offers. Smart and sad at the same time.

What i really wanted to see is a great artbook compiling all of the NES and SNES castlevania games, as most of it is only what you get within the manuals, when there were many more material produced for different media. Sadly, most of these old archives were lost in the great earthquake of 93, which among many other places, affected konami's main quarters...
>>
File: Classicvania_boss_fights.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
Classicvania_boss_fights.gif
2MB, 360x270px
Does anyone have information on how instrument definitions for the SNES worked?
>>
>>3419821
whoops, wrong thread
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.