[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Missed opportunities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: damn.png (78KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
78KB, 412x351px
What do you think are some missed opportunities in /vr/ history?
My laments:

>No Metroid 64
Could've been great, maybe.

>No mainline Mario game for Game Boy Color
Well, we got Wario Land 3 and SMBDX, but I still would've wanted a fresh adventure, something like what the the SML trilogy was to the Game Boy.
>>
>>3411892
>Metroid 64
I don't know about that. If Metroid made the transition to 3D, god knows how that would have gone. I read somewhere that the official reasoning was the lack of solid ideas for a 3D Metroid. Retro Studios came around in '98 and being the baby company they were I doubt Nintendo would have handed off Metroid to them at that point. The best case scenario would have been a gorgeous 2D sprite based 64-bit metroid. Holy crap that would have been cool. Nintendo would've never went through with it though because the entire 3D movement pushed 3D renditions of old games and a 2D follow up could have easily been ignored and seen as too "primitive" or lazy.
>>
>>3411927
My thoughts exactly. Sure, the N64 was new and everybody wanted to jump into the 3D bandwagon, but looking at Mischief Makers, who knows what beauty we could've seen if the whole Metroid 64 development team took 2D as a deliberate, serious and well-planned design choice.
>>
File: 413.jpg (25KB, 483x366px) Image search: [Google]
413.jpg
25KB, 483x366px
>>3411892
Shadowgate Rising was almost done and to be released on N64 back then.

I wanted to play that so badly, dammit.
now I have to wait for Zojoi doing a kickstarter for that. Raven, the hot redhead sorceress needs her own game.
>>
File: 1450909217245.jpg (26KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1450909217245.jpg
26KB, 576x432px
>>3411947
>>3411927
>64 bit metroid
Oh god why did you have to put these ideas in my mind
>>
>>3411947
The N64 never had a truly high budget 2D game made for it, so something like that would have been a great addition to the library and fascinating to see what could have been achieved.

Realistcally though, Metroid Fusion would probably have been Metroid 64 in an alternative universe.
>>
>>3412134
D-pad to move
Analog to aim
Z to shoot
L to jump

maybe

Either way, homebrew N64 development is taking baby steps ahead. N64 is 'good enough' for games written in C and there's already a few dev toolchains available. One day.
>>
I spent a good two years checking Nintendo Power each month for any news on Robotech: Crystal Dreams.

RIP Gametek.
>>
Final Fantasy 2,3, and 5 not getting a US release on their native consoles strikes me as a huge missed opportunity.
>>
>>3412246
>Final Fantasy 3, and 5 not getting a US release on their native consoles strikes me as a huge missed opportunity.
FTFY
>>
>>3412261
Apparently there was an English FF2 prototype.
>>
File: xtreme.gif (32KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
xtreme.gif
32KB, 320x240px
>tfw there's no mainline Sonic game for Sega Saturn thanks to Sega's stupidity
>>
>>3412294
Kill me now
>>
>>3412384
Kill me first.
>>
File: Mega-Man-Mania.jpg (219KB, 790x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Mega-Man-Mania.jpg
219KB, 790x1032px
I know the platform is not /vr/ but the base games are and they've never been touched up and rereleased.
>>
>>3412184
that's a really clever usage of the N64 controller.
Much better than going straigth up to the lazy solution analogue stick to set shinespark direction
>>
>>3412294
Meh.

X-Treme didn't look so great anyways.
>>
>>3413141
A collection that actually has the potential to ADD something interesting to the source material that might make you want to obtain it instead of or in addition to the originals, and it gets cancelled.

Of course!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.