[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Impulse Buys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

File: ByeBye.gif (49KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
ByeBye.gif
49KB, 500x455px
Well I did it again. I dropped $80 on a copy of Cratermaze of all games on the TG-16.

It was never something I was really dying to play, I'd much rather get Chew Man Fu or Bomberman 93 although I think Mega Bomberman is better but just because it's so rare to find them in the wild anymore I picked it up.

I have this compulsion that unless it's something I flat out don't want, if I don't get something when I do see it that it could be years, if not prohibitively expensive by then, if ever at all that I see it again.

It's happened before. For those of you on /vr/ who still do bother with the real article, what are some of the titles you've picked up on a whim? Did you end up liking them or regretting them?
>>
I paid what I thought was a lot at the time for Tron Bonne, but it's worth like 5x that now and it's a pretty good game.
>>
>>3412290
Same thing with me and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Thought what I paid was stupid at the time($150) but now its worth $500 CiB.
>>
>>3411516
Out of curiosity, why do you think Mega Bomberman is better?
I have both and the PC Engine/TG-16 version just looks like it blows it out of the water in most categories, it looks better, sounds better, and has less slow down.
However you're not the first person to say this but I hope you're the first to give me a reason to give my Mega Drive copy some more play
>>
I impulse bought a Super Retro Trio (white/blue), just because I thought Super Nintendo shaped Genesis controllers might be nice. I still have (multiple) working variations of the original consoles I've hoarded with a lot of games (couple hundred), but I thought I should pair this thing up with some everdrives. I even have a dedicated emulation machine.

I haven't even used it yet, and will have to start saving for the everdrives (and GBA adapter for this system ... even though I have the GB player for the GC as well). Right now I feel like I made a poor impulse buy.
>>
>>3411516
Stopped myself from dropping cash on a Genesis joystick and a couple arcade pads for it, would have drained my last check.
Did snag a PS2 multitap so my other friends can get in on Gauntlet with me and my bro, and got my eye on a Menacer so I can finally play past John Conner's truck part in T2:Arcade
>>
File: wardner-genesis-media.jpg (104KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
wardner-genesis-media.jpg
104KB, 800x500px
>>3411516
This was years ago when I was still collecting. Sifting through carts came across Wardner. I'd never heard of it but the art of the cart was neat and my friend said he thought he remembered it being an RPG of some sort so I picked it up on a whim.
>>
File: Wardner (U).png (19KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Wardner (U).png
19KB, 320x224px
>>3412370
I got it home to discover it was a pretty by the numbers action platformer. Not bad exactly, but far from a great game. It became one of the reasons I made an effort to try everything possible via emulators so I knew what was what when going through looking for games.
>>
>>3412380
I played that years ago. It's pretty good but nothing special.
>>
$10 for cacoma knight in bizy land. Its an odd puzzle game.
>>
Suikoden II was an impulse buy for me in about '99 in a second hand store. I had no idea what it was but I was on a real JRPG kick at the time so picked it up because I liked the artwork on the front. Still have it to this day.
>>
not /vr/, my last buy was zelda master collection saw it on some facebook group and bought it
i often buy shit without checking the price if its under $20-30

i wasted $100 on a pokemon mini a few months ago which i kinda regret
>>
File: mega-bomberman-usa.png (355KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
mega-bomberman-usa.png
355KB, 361x500px
>>3412316
I've had Mega Bomberman since it came out so I may be biased by nostalgia. The PCE version does have better colours & 5 player battle Vs The Genesis 4 player battle. Otherwise they play pretty much identically as far as I can tell but I do like the music in the Genesis version better. It's more funky I guess than the PCE's which sounds like what Hollywood thought Asian music was like in old movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAEdBwj_qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgC_BUsnX7k
>>
I'll impulse buy anything sega (saturn in particular) if there's a really good deal
>>
File: 250px-Eldeanfront.jpg (55KB, 250x421px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Eldeanfront.jpg
55KB, 250x421px
>>3415584
>implying there's good deals on Saturn stuff anymore

Jesus Christ I'm glad I got in on the Saturn near the ground floor but I just couldn't get to every good title in time. I wish I'd given into my impulse to buy Albert Odyssey a year or two ago when it was only $120 instead of the $300+ stores were asking when I saw it again this year.
>>
My biggest recent chump purchase was a PSone with screen and battery pack. I'm working on replacing the cells in the battery pack with new ones that don't suck, but desu I don't really have a use for a portable playstation. My current playstation is set up and works fine, and I'm so addicted to my new sound system that I don't have much interest in playing them elsewhere anyway. Most of those games also emulate well on phones and handhelds so it's not like I couldn't play them there either. I suppose I picked it up because it was all in such good condition. No box but practically unused, and not a bad price. I figure at worst I have a backup unit with some nice extras, or I could just move it online. I dunno.
>>
I downloaded retroarch on a whim and have lost of a lot time playing video games i would otherwise not want to afford.

: /
>>
File: eBayScalper.png (472KB, 577x447px) Image search: [Google]
eBayScalper.png
472KB, 577x447px
>>3415619
Or once you get it fixed up you might be able to flip it at a profit if you end up not wanting it for yourself.
>>
I bought a Saturn, 3d and gun controller and a heap of games for 120 aus just because I saw keio among them. Doesn't have a case though
>>
>>3415798
you have a CRT television to go with that gun controller? I'm surprised no one's figured out any kind of adapter that can hook up to it or filter that can be put over the screen or something to make them work on modern TVs
>>
>>3411516

So mad I sold my TG16 collection back in the day. I did that with all my consoles, sold the previous gen off to buy the newest gen but the TG bothers me the most. I had Cratermaze and didn't really play it that much but it only cost me $5. $5!!

Now I'm re-buying everything I got rid of from my childhood. Most expensive so far is Conker, found it for $75 on craigslist and scooped it up immediately.
>>
>>3415825
>I'm surprised no one's figured out any kind of adapter that can hook up to it or filter that can be put over the screen or something to make them work on modern TVs

because TVs don't work that way
>>
>>3415831
What do you mean? The technology behind light guns is incredibly simple, so much so that they've been around since the Magnavox Odyssey days. When you pull the trigger it causes the screen to go black aside from a white area where objects are. If the light sensitive receptor at the end of the barrel detects that its being pointed at the white area then the game registers it as a hit, otherwise a miss. Why couldn't there be some work around just because the receptor can't detect the white light from modern TVs?
>>
>>3415840
too bad any amount of input lag fucks that system up
>>
>>3415840
A quick google search will tell you all you need to know.
>>
>>3415857
input lag would fuck up playing pong, get a better tv

>>3415862
looking it up says the same thing, once modern TVs get better they should start to work again.
>>
>>3415825
Yes a few/yes it's a pity
>>
>>3415869
>looking it up says the same thing, once modern TVs get better they should start to work again.

except for the guns that use cathode ray timing
>>
>>3415610
rare but not impossible
>>
>>3415638
yeah, we'll see how the battery pack fix works out.
>>
File: snatcher-front.jpg (96KB, 400x575px) Image search: [Google]
snatcher-front.jpg
96KB, 400x575px
I remember back in first year university mentioning that I had an old SEGA CD to a friend of mine and he mentioned how much he wanted to play Snatcher. When I went back to my Podunk town of 16,000 people I saw a used copy of it there for two bucks at our local pawn shop. I thought "Yeah I've heard good things about this, for $2 I'll give it a try" Boy did that ever work out for me.
>>
File: 21066_front.jpg (129KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
21066_front.jpg
129KB, 640x640px
I just got Mega Man II for $9.

I'm thinking about returning it tomorrow though.
>>
File: 220px-Megamanvbox.jpg (16KB, 220x217px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Megamanvbox.jpg
16KB, 220x217px
>>3416287
yeah I mean MMII is ok, it's essentially a scaled down B&W port of MMIII for NES right? I think the only original game boy Mega Man game is its MMV but uh it's kinda expensive too. There's a copy with a pretty badly damaged label in my local retro game shop for $100
>>
>>3416304
Hmm, the store didn't accept the return (it's their policy, so their not technically supposed to unless it's broken, but they've been lenient in the past).

I guess now I'll go full retard and become reseller scum.
Do you think $20 is fair?
Or should I take the nuclear option and go all "*RARE* MegaMan II, Pristine Condition! Nintendo Gameboy Game!" and list it for $80?
>>
>>3416304
It's more like Megaman 2.5, having four bosses from one game and four bosses from the next, per the GB MM games I-IV.
>>
>>3415619
I still have my PSOne with the screen accessory, it was awesome back in the day. Too bad it's missing the red colo now , maybe someday will try to tinker with it
>>
>>3411516
Bomberman 94 is the better version of Mega Bomberman.
>>
>>3412297
I passed on a $142 copy of PDS. I have regretted this ever since.
>>
File: Bomberman94Composer.jpg (18KB, 400x341px) Image search: [Google]
Bomberman94Composer.jpg
18KB, 400x341px
>>3419939
Nope Bomberman 94 music is stupid ching chang chong asian bullshit while Mega Bomberman has amazing grooves. See >>3415579 for examples
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.