[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC for emulators/arcade games only.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Probably not the right place to ask but I've tried a couple of other places so far with no luck.

I've got an arcade cabinet on the way and I'm looking for a small PC to put in there to run MAME and emulators up to at the most Dreamcast/maybe PS2.

It'll be connected to a monitor via HDMI, but what sort of specs would I need to run the aforementioned stuff smoothly?

I was considering a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 1tb PiDrive but I'm not sure if that that will really have the power to run everything well?
>>
>Nintendo arcade cabinet
But Nintendo were an awful arcade publisher.
>>
>avalue.com.tw
we use these at work for large format displays, unlike most embedded pc's they have recent processors, fast enough to run wii u games if you like but still small and cheap as fuck.
>>
no, a raspberry pi 3 will not be able to run dreamcast/ps2 well, unless you're talking about a pretty limited selection of games. do some research and decide where you want/need to draw the line.

a pi 3 is cheap, so you should be able to buy one and experiment with its capabilities.
>>
at least for ps2 emulation, stuff's still pretty much a mess. a lot of games need speed/compatibility hacks and a lot of games need to run in software mode (i.e. no hardware acceleration from your video card), which means you need a quad core 4ghz+ machine.

please do some research and try things out instead of asking people on an anonymous imageboard
>>
Just build a mini pc in a haswell mini atx case. Or buy an alienware alpha. Raspberry pi's arent gonna give you the performance you need.
>>
>>3409203

To run anything 6th Gen, I suggest something third Gen Core i5 and newer. AMD is not recommended. Don't bother with a GPU since emulation is cpu based. Don't do AMD, stick with Intel.
>>
The image was just one from Google.

So the Pi idea is definitely out of my head now, I think I'll go the route of building a small PC then.

Any idea what this sort of build will cost over here in Bongistan?
>>
>>3409282
If you wana go cheap, you can likely do it for less than $100 for the Motherboard and the CPU
>>
>>3409226
Not OP but this doesn't even bug me any more. It's like when a custom motorbike gets a paint job that makes it look like an aircraft. It's just the theme.
>>
>>3409203

Why do you faggots always want to use a fucking pi?

Just get a laptop or convert your old PC.

You faggots seriously like fucking clockwork try to do one of the hardest and most expensive options.
>>
File: 1467090805987.png (158KB, 625x626px)
1467090805987.png
158KB, 625x626px
Why the hell are you playing PS2 games using an arcade cabinet?

Emulating Mame, I can understand. Not console
>>
>>3409327
Was just exploring options I'd seen mentioned you handsome young man.
>>
>>3409328
Emulating anything past SNES/Genesis, and I guess Dreamcast (since it was basically an arcade machine) is retarded.

Controllers work better for a lot of the home console games, but they can also be played pretty ok with a stick.
>>
>>3409328

I can think of several games off the top of my head - the latter chunk of the King of Fighters series, the Tekken series, etc. PS2 is loaded with arcade ports, the majority of which aren't emulated on Mame or elsewhere so it's very useful to have.
>>
I could tell you but the fact that you're going to use a progressive scan display makes me not want to.

Likewise, PS2 emulation is also not on topic for this board and generally not suitable for arcade cabinets. Most arcade games on PS2 are available for PC.
>>
>>3409203
god i would kill for an actual taito vewlix cabinet for emulator use.

but they say the cabinet is FUCKING EXPENSIVE, thats why there are clones around, clones that i'm sure wouldn't ship to mexico even!
>>
Bump?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.