[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you spend too much money on retro games? I spent £600 last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: download (3).jpg (124KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
124KB, 640x360px
Do you spend too much money on retro games?

I spent £600 last month and feel like I need to cut back. It feels like I still don't have anything to play.
>>
christ, get a flashcart
>>
>>3408474
This is why Britain's economy hasn't tanked from the EU exit; it's being hoisted by retro vidya buyers.
>>
>>3408502
IKR, I feel like I'm single handily keeping Britain afloat. I just sat down and worked out how much I've been spending on games, lots of little purchases add up quick.
>>
Sometimes I'll go on too much of a spree but if I average it out yearly it's not that much.

Normally I try not to buy anything unless I really really want it or I'll be able to sell it without a significant loss.
>>
>>3408474
its an investment, prices of retro games only keeps rising
>>
>>3408509
That's only if you buy them at a good price. Also prices aren't rising that quickly and there probably wont be another boom.
>>
>>3408506
That's a good point, any game that goes for me than £10 on ebay can generally be resold in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>3408513
Yeah, a lot of times you'll be losing out on a buck or two on shipping but if there was ever an emergency where you had to sell stuff off it wouldn't be that bad. Most hobbies you're lucky to even get back half of what you put in.
>>
File: this guy.png (2KB, 126x171px) Image search: [Google]
this guy.png
2KB, 126x171px
>not buying flash carts
>>
>>3408496
>>3408542
Have some respect for your hobby or fuck off back to modern gaming.
>>
>>3408553
What's wrong with flashcarts? If a person prioritizes playing the games on original hardware, they're perfect.
>>
>>3408557
Filthy flashcart untermenschen.
>>
>>3408568
My collection was stolen so I think I have a pretty good reason to use them. What's your reason for buying games you're not going to play?
>>
>>3408474
I used to spend money like that on retro. I stopped when I realized I was filling shelf space a lot more than playing games. I missed out on a lot of good gems. Those cost so much that I'll get flashcarts soon. Wish the good snes ones weren't so much
>>
I bought a beautiful CIB copy of Legend of Zelda (gold NES edition) last week for 90 bucks. What do you think? Doubles its value in 2 or 3 years?
>>
>>3408568
An autist like you has no right to use that word. Hit the showers.
>>
>>3408607
>doubles

lol no
>>
File: Irefruse.png (719KB, 625x564px) Image search: [Google]
Irefruse.png
719KB, 625x564px
>>3408610
>Hit the showers
>>
>>3408553
> "have respect for hobby"
> paying a fortune 20 year old carts
> profit resellers instead of developers
Sure buddy. BTW, you want to buy my Super Mario World cartridge? I'll give you a discount, only 50 pounds + shipping. Respect Nintendo and by from me plz

>>3408509
Hahaha, yeah right. You think these games add in value? They barely pay off more than a savings account. It depends on pure luck. Even then, ok; let's say you were super lucky and bought an extremely rare game for a buck at a thrift store and sold it for $50. Holy fuck, you just made nearly 50 bucks! All it took was spend days searching thrift stores like a fucking bum.
>>
>>3408659
>pounds

ew, no
>>
>>3408659
you mad im earning more slinging retro games then you wagecucks?
>>
I spent like 1500 bucks on games last month.

About 50-60% of it was stuff I already owned but highly valuable sell or trade bait.

Since it was bulk buys I can most likely recoup the majority of my costs.
>>
>>3408659
>inferior 50hz pal carts
eww
>>
>>3408748
>50Hz PAL carts

Where did he say this?
>>
I only spend the amount of money it takes to get a new laptop occasionally and pay for an internet connection because I'm not completely retarded and I understand there are other things in life that have real value.

I'm still using a Dualshock 2 even. The analog wells are so worn down you can see inside them when the sticks tilt. I've had to take it apart and clean it and repair the shitty pieces under the pads twice.

Are you a fucking historian? are you backing these games up? are you a reseller? a librarian?

because otherwise you just have autism
>>
File: 1458583450520.jpg (92KB, 400x801px) Image search: [Google]
1458583450520.jpg
92KB, 400x801px
>>
>>3408659
Oh no, I'm giving money to resellers instead of developers! It's too bad neither I nor the developers give a shit. Listen buddy, you might have to shill out 50 dollars per game, but I import everything I buy, so older games are really fucking cheap. As long as my game is in good condition, cheap, and arrives within a reasonable time, should I really care who's selling it?
>>
>>3408774
>britbucks
>brits use pal
>>
>>3408785
>there are other things in life that have real value
care to elaborate, I'm kind of curious
>>
>>3408804
eating healthy, wearing nice and comfortable clothes, saving money to travel or go out and have fun and see interesting things, going back to school, being able to afford a vehicle, investing in your own free time to work on projects, donating to charity (think of the children wait what no not like that what are you-)
>>
>>3408816
>status signaling out the ass
I agree with eating healthily, but that really isn't expensive at all, most of the nice things in life are cheap, if you don't have a gf/wife you really don't need much money to live a nice life.
>>
>>3408794
>older games are really fucking cheap
It's still money for nothing and it adds up, not to mention lots of hassle.

You want to play a game, get a ROM like a real man. You want to own a game—check your autism.
>>
>>3408856
>shaming
how beta can you be?
>>
>>3408856
Yeah, I'm sure all the people here only buy CRTs and consoles because they don't know how to emulate. Fuck off retard.
>>
>>3408868
And buying a flashcart is not part of it?
>>
>>3408884
Sure it is, point is though, some people like to collect games and other just like playing ROMs with a flashcart. Both are fine, because in actuality nobody gives a shit how you play, even if you just emulate. There's no need to barge into this thread and declare that one is superior though.
>>
>>3408895
I have nothing against buying games to play them, especially if you can get them for cheap.

I have a lot against collecting, buying games "out of sense of duty" and other bullshit.
>>
>>3408906
I collect games that hold nostalgic value to me, and I'm willing to pay a lot for some games.
>>
>>3408607
Please god be satire
>>
>>3409097
Good satire is indistinguishable from the real thing
>>
>>3408816
>>3408826

Yeah you're a retard mate.

I have a nice car, I eat well, I couldn't give less of a shit about travelling, I have nice clothes and nice things.

So the fact I spend potentially thousands a year on video games is completely irrelevant to you.

I love how the have-nots try and justify being have-nots by trying to bring down people.

Travelling is the single, most expensive, and frivolous thing you can do with your money.
>>
>>3408906
I buy a couple games, play them to completion, and then buy some more. I've built a nice collection just through that method over the years.
>>
>>3408607
Even if it was CIB, that's severely overpriced
>>
>>3409127
How nice for you to have reached the end-point of all your life's ambitions. I bet you greet each sunrise full of contentedness, without anxiety or worry or a shred of boredom.
>>
>>3408826
Once you have everything that's nice and you're totally comfortable, then why would you waste the rest of your freedom and capability on just acquiring things? I think studying things or experiencing things or striving to achieve something new that you haven't yet grasped is a more fulfilling way to live. I don't know why you would just want to sit at home and play retro games, that's basically like saying you want to just become a child again now that you've done the requisite amount of work.
>>
>>3408804
Teaching people to be frugal with entertainment part of their disposable income on anonymous Mongolian slide projecting enthusiasts image board.
>>
>>3408802
He only said he had a SNES cart and asked pounds for it. Could as much have been a US or Super Famicom copy nowadays, especially because a lot of europeans switched to NTSC consoles because they wanted to play with 60 frames a second instead of 50.
Personally, I'm still fine with PAL cartridges, even early NES ones.
>>
>>3408748
The carts aren't PAL or NTSC, you fucking moron.
>>
>>3409706
Most people just modify the consoles. It is very easy to do. The only one you can't do is NES. Americans are generally scared of opening their consoles up, I don't think they ever sold computer kits over there.
>>
>>3409706
>Could as much have been a US or Super Famicom copy nowadays
If you pay 50 pounds for a Super Mario World SFC cart, you are getting the biggest raw deal ever. The average price for Super Mario World SFC is $12. Super Famicom games are not expensive unless they're obscure rare games.
>>
>>3409127
>Travelling is the single, most expensive, and frivolous thing you can do with your money.

What are you?
American?
>>
>>3409712
When I was a child and used to open up electronics my parents would get angry at me

They'd assume I'd broken whatever it was and I guess throw it in the trash, even though it could have simply been closed up or returned to it's original state easily.

Computers are basically witch craft to the average north american, they don't really form a good understanding of the world they live in.

But I assume it's like that in most places?
>>
>>3409719
Someone who can only think of staying in a hotel or automatically associates sight-seeing with spending money, or so it seems.

Personally, I like going around and seeing stuff, but I don't like buying expensive stuff and spend the most money on food and transportation when I travel.

If you have the mind that you're willing to endure deprivation in order to maintain your dignity and independence, traveling becomes quite enjoyable, and not too expensive.
>>
>>3409725
>If you have the mind that you're willing to endure deprivation
It's not even about deprivation it's about being smart.
Hell, I went to London for a week last month, I've spent less than 500 Eurobucks for everything, I didn't skip meals, I visited six museums, saw a shitload of things and visited some friends there and even made new pleasant aquaintances, hell I could have even spent less if I bought tickets and reserved rooms a month earlier.

Sure, if you're a moron who thinks that you have to stay in the best hotels in town when there's people who would rent you apartments for less, eat everyday in expensive restaurants when small pubs are totally fine and can't even walk for a few miles it's your own fault for being a useless piece of shit.
Unless you're travelling to the opposite part of the world you live in travelling isn't expensive, at all.

And I fail to see how travelling is more frivolous than cars or collecting 20 years old hardware, but then again, I've seen worse stupidity here on 4chan.
>>
File: SFC purchases.jpg (841KB, 1489x1869px) Image search: [Google]
SFC purchases.jpg
841KB, 1489x1869px
>>3408474
Sometimes I worry that I do. I only do it after I've done a significant amount of overtime at work and so can afford it. I think I end up doing it maybe 2-3 times per year at the moment, and it's at a maximum of about £200-300 when I do.

Pic related, these arrived yesterday.I won't be spending any more for a while now I think, mostly because I have the games I want to own on the system. Perhaps it's time to get the games I want for a different system, but I dunno.
>>
>>3409819
Seriously you work overtime for this and how does it enrich your life exactly

Who are you sharing the experience of playing these with
>>
>>3409826
Why does he need to share it with anyone? I fucking hate being around people. I like playing games myself.

I also like having stuff like that and find enjoyment looking at the boxes.
>>
>>3409840
Why don't you like other people?
>>
File: SFC collection.jpg (427KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
SFC collection.jpg
427KB, 1328x747px
>>3409826
I don't work overtime just for this. I work overtime because I need to work overtime. I happen to enjoy my work, so when I work overtime and have some extra cash to buy things I'd like to own, it's a win-win for me.

Don't fall into the trap of making sweeping generalisations about people on the internet.

On topic, Pic is the rest of my collection from the last 18 months. If you do it one bit at a time you won't end up overspending all at once and won't feel like shit as a result.
>>
>>3409863
Would you still need to work overtime if you didn't spend money on retro games? or if it isn't about the money, why do you use the word "need" as if it's not voluntary?
>>
>>3409867
Because my work needs someone to come in and do overtime. I enjoy my work and I get double money for doing it. Doing that for one day every 6 weeks or so is totally worth it.

If I didn't spend it on retro games I'd be saving it for a rainy day. I've got enough money in the bank that I don't need to worry about that, so I might as well buy things I want in the meantime.
>>
>>3409841
I don't know really. I'm sure there are some underlying psychological reasons, but I just don't like being around people.
>>
>>3409872
I think I might be envious.
>>3409879
Do you like being nice to the imaginary people when you play games?
>>
File: herman-hesse-demian[1].jpg (44KB, 309x500px) Image search: [Google]
herman-hesse-demian[1].jpg
44KB, 309x500px
>>3409879
You may want to buy books instead.
>>
>>3409709
But they are, anon. Many PAL carts just had NTSC roms on them but there are plenty that were optimized for PAL and won't play properly on an NTSC console.
>>
>>3409879
That's not uncommon.
>>
>>3408509
They wont though.
Interest is dropping
>>
>>3408553
>Have some respect for your hobby
I do, that's why i'm pretty good at video games unlike some cuck that is more interested in buying plastic than playing them.
>>
>>3408474
What did you buy with all that?
>>
>>3408509

>its an investment

I hate how anything fun turns into an autistic stock market.
>>
>>3408553
>Have some respect for your hobby
Have some respect for my 8,907 games I can comfortably play from my couch with friends and family.
>>
File: tom hanks.jpg (132KB, 513x945px) Image search: [Google]
tom hanks.jpg
132KB, 513x945px
>>3408553
Why would I spend money on what I can get for free? It isn't like 99% of the devs for these are receiving the cash. If that were the case, I might do otherwise.
>>
>>3409127
>I love how the have-nots try and justify being have-nots by trying to bring down people.

Do you work as a projectionist?
>>
>>3413146

autism stock market paid my rent when i was young and without a job. lol
>>
>>3413217
>Sufami Turbo
Has anybody ever even gotten that shit to work?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.