[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMRPG Challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

Has anybody done a challenge run of Super Mario RPG? I recently beat the game only using Mario, Mallow and Geno and only gave them Special upgrades but I was still able to steam roll most enemies. Now I'm thinking of doing a run that's a little more challenging like :
-No Armor
-No HP Upgrade
-No Leveling Glitch (Star Abuse)
-No Weapons (Not sure how hard this will make the game)

Are there any other things I should add to the list? I don't want the game to be so hard that I can only make a little progress each couple hours of playing and constantly dying. I did find a few threads on GameFAQs but they looked a little too hard for me, like staying below level 5, no items except Mushrooms etc....

What do you think?
>>
No flower upgrades? In other words only 20 FP.
>>
>>3408346
A cap on FP would be interesting. My plan is to only upgrade Attack power and mainly use normal attacks or mario's single Jump attack.
>>
>>3408314
Beat it with just mario and peach M8
>>
>>3408314
I might give it a try since it's a relatively easy game, but I suck at RPGs in general.
>>
>>3408314
>I recently beat the game only using the game's two best attackers and a perfectly viable healer.
Wow. What a challenge you put on yourself there.
>>
Fun factoid:

Mario's regular Jump move stacks in strength the more you use it. It eventually caps at 200 jumps.

Beat the game using only Mario's jump, and Geno Whirl.
>>
Why do special attacks suck for the most part?

Mario you're always better off normally attacking especially with lazy she'll (unless you want to waste his access slot and put jump shoes on him).

Mallow has Thunderbolt which kicks ass for regular encounters but that's it.

Geno has Geno Boost which is OP, and Geno Whirl which is great for exor but really other than Geno boost in the first three turns of a boss fight you're best off attacking normally.

Bowser has zero redeeming specials.

Peach is the only character with more than one special worth regular use since she's the most OP white Mage in RPG history.

So other than mallow in the very early-game, your only character you'll really use specials with often is peach. I feel like physical attacks should have been substantially weaker and specials made stronger, honestly.
>>
>>3408839
Mallow's Thunderbolt stays pretty viable the entire game, especially for the cost of 2 MP. Other than that, HP rain is decent before Peach arrives and can be used in a pinch if it needs to be.

Objectively best team is Geno and Peach but Mallow still shits all over Bowser.
>>
>>3408484
The easiest way to steamroll the game is with Mario, Bowser, Peach. Growing up I never used Geno or Mallow because they are so weak and Mallow's healing is pretty terrible compared to peach who is also stronger.

I've also tried only upgrading Attack for Mallow, Magic for Mario and Geno.

>>3408839
My last playthrough I was trying to do crazy damage with Specials but random enemies would take 1dmg or the same 250+dmg as a normal attack. So now I'm thinking of just pumping power into Attack so I can have strong Normal attacks and do something else like remove all armor to make it more challenging.

>>3408521
I've never understood this. So if I just use Mario's "Jump" attack on every enemy it will keep getting stronger? How much stronger does it get?
>>
>>3410501
Geno is much stronger than Bowser. It's not even a contest.

Bowser has better health and defense but Geno dishes out way more damage, has Geno Boost, and the health/defense thing is negligible if you have Peach in your party.
>>
>>3410556
Yeah, Geno and Toadstool are the best partners, their spells are optimally useful in every situation. Mallow is fine in his own too, but not as effective as they are.

One thing I should note is that Bowser only really begins to suck at the end game as the other characters get stronger. I did a low level / equip run a while ago and he actually did better than Geno, which kept dying at almost every turn while Bowser's durability really compensated for his barely existent special attacks. However if you are going for a normal run, then Mario - Geno - Toadstool is hands down the strongest team.
>>
>>3410652
>>3410556
As a kid I never understood (I was 7) how to properly use Geno Boost or any other strategies other than to use regular attacks and Peach's healing powers.

Are there are general rules for a challenging run though? Like how Pokemon has the Nuzlock challenge where you release any fainted pokemon etc... I want to have a challenge but I also want it to be fun since I am an adult now and can't spend countless hours playing games :( but I do have the time to spend an hour or two each day if I'm lucky.
>>
>>3411084
Usually I don't let myself use lazy shell (armor or weapon) and I don't equip any accessories. Makes it decently challenging but still not too hard. Status ailments and instant death are pretty common in the game, but are usually ignored because of OP accessories like the Safety Ring/Badge.
>>
>>3408839
Lazy Shell is for casuals.

It's called the "lazy" shell for a reason.
>>
>>3412137
Equipment is for casuals. Items are for casuals.

Get those action commands perfect, bitch
>>
Sounds like fun.
>>
>>3411234
>>3412137
Okay so my plan is to use only Accessories and I will limit the items I can use, so no Kerokerokolas and no Red Essence maybe? And max FP will be 20. All of my level up stats will be put into attack or special (No HP) and I will probably use Mario Peach Bowser.
>>
SMRPG is possibly the easiest RPG in existence. You'd have a harder time trying to challenge yourself in goddamn FF6 or 7.
>>
>>3413815
>7
Aside from optional bosses the only thing remotely difficult in ff7 was carry armor, and even then if you knew what you were doing he was easy
>>
Try doing a level 1 playthrough
>>
>>3414701
That was the point you absolute tard. I was saying that those games are easy.
>>
Anyone started this challenge run yet?
>>
>>3418202
I guess not.
>>
>>3408314
Have you done the double HP ROM hack yet? Makes the entire game significantly harder.
>>
>>3420665
SMRPG revolution is a pretty good romhack for added difficulty.

It's harder but isn't Grindy as hell like, say, SMRPG Armageddon
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.