[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any retro horror games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16

File: screenshot3-full.jpg (98KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot3-full.jpg
98KB, 1024x768px
The title says it all.
>>
Clock Tower

Also why is modern pixel art so fucking ugly, can't they hire real artists?
>>
>>3407850
I disagree, I think OPs pic actually looks really great for the resolution they're drawing it at. Maybe you'd just prefer they were using a higher res?
>>
>>3407850
>Also why is modern pixel art so fucking ugly

That's how hipster devs think NES looked.

>640x480
>256 colors
>Atari 2600 blocks
>RETROOOOOOOOO
>>
File: windows10.png (31KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
windows10.png
31KB, 320x200px
>>3407850
But that's the dev's intended aesthetic according to his vision; are you implying they adopted it because it's trendy and easier to produce, you unwashed casual?
>>
>>3407852
> It's the choice of resolution

I guess the joke is that this is not the case at all in OP's pic?

You can clearly see in the font used for "Lens" that the pixel size is actually half the one used in the main graphics. Big pixels = More retroer guise
>>
>>3407852
It's not even using the implied resolution. If you look at the lighting around the candle you can tell that the "pixels" are not real pixels and that they contain multiple shades which create a much smoother lighting effect. The resolution is actually quite high - the artist is literally just pretending to use pixels for hipster cred.
>>
>>3407850
>Also why is modern pixel art so fucking ugly

One person made a game like that and was heralded as the "return of retro" then everybody copied it despite it looking ugly as fuck.
>>
>>3407842
Clocktower (snes and ps1)
Silent Hill 1
Enemy Zero
Hellnight Dark Messiah
>>
>>3407842
Dark Seed
>>
File: Screenshot_14.png (30KB, 607x348px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_14.png
30KB, 607x348px
corpse party
>>
>op-pic
Modern "gaymdevs" think that drawing pixelart is something like playing with lego bricks - even kid can do it...
"So, because I cant draw and don't know shit about 3d-modelling, let's pretend I am that nerdy retro-guy :D"
...But it is not. When it's comes to making player think that character's sprite has a nose(for example), but it actually doesn't - that is art. When you have limited resources and you manage to create good palette that sets player to the right mood - that is art.
Ugly spaghetti mess - not. And yes, you have to know how to draw if you want to make pixel-art.
inb4: baiting this hard

Anyway.
Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Hellnight, D no Shokutaku, D2, Ilbleed, Sweet Home, White Day... you can go on forever. Starting from wide-know RE, ending obscure shit like Produce for pc-8800 and Japanese-only stuff.
>>
File: ROTH.jpg (73KB, 590x375px) Image search: [Google]
ROTH.jpg
73KB, 590x375px
>>3407842
Realms of the Haunting

actually written by a horror writer. very cool game
>>
File: 20160313141914_13349a1d.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160313141914_13349a1d.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
One more example of new-age retro style.
Modern horror game, which is trying hard to make you think it's form 90's.
With POTATOES as enemies.
>>
File: fdc2.jpg (44KB, 767x716px) Image search: [Google]
fdc2.jpg
44KB, 767x716px
The Famicom Detective Club 2 remake for SNES is pretty good from what I remember.
>>
SPLATTERHOUSE
>>
>>3408129
Supurattāhausu!!!
>>
>>3408115
Anon, at least this looks like a Playstation game. 3D needs higher skill (and less social life) to get into. You can drawn anything in 2D, say it's your style and calll it a day, but in 3D you need to follow some rules when modeling or the model will not animate right.
I don't believe indie 3D developers will get it so wrong like they did with pixelart.
>>
File: pic01.jpg (24KB, 320x228px) Image search: [Google]
pic01.jpg
24KB, 320x228px
Colonel's Bequest...

Though it's more of a spooky murder mystery. Nice creepy atmosphere and like all classic adventure games about a thousand different ways to die.
>>
File: odallus-noscale[1].jpg (105KB, 856x480px) Image search: [Google]
odallus-noscale[1].jpg
105KB, 856x480px
>>3407850

Lots of modern pixel art looks just fine. It's only a problem when devs use the 'retro style' for their games as an excuse not to have to put any effort into the art and/or hire decent artists.
>>
>>3407852
> It's the choice of resolution

>>3407867
>"Lens" that the pixel size is actually half

worse, look at the fine grained lighting from the candles, anyway i counted and its 120pixels wide...

we are not talking about some atari game here, this is just some lazy fucker trying to make a fake-retro game, i bet they want $20 for it.

OP, at this level you might as well go to flashgame websites, you'll find much better quality stuff, im sure kongregate and newgrounds even have tagging system parallel to main categorization and "collections" that will help you find HORRO+RPG fun games
>>
>>3407852
>I think OPs pic actually looks really great
>>>/v/ fucking millenial
>>
>>3407842

It's like some weird vision of how a world would have looked like where Atari developed a 32X for the 2600.
>>
File: Kinkaid.png (413KB, 499x309px) Image search: [Google]
Kinkaid.png
413KB, 499x309px
>>3407872

> for hipster cred

right on bro, anything not striving as hard as possible for modern realism regardless of cost required is fucking trash, if you can't do EA-level Maya dont even bother learning to code, faggots, lol
>>
File: elvira.jpg (16KB, 225x322px) Image search: [Google]
elvira.jpg
16KB, 225x322px
>>3408102

yeah man Elvira is LITERALLY my favorite game
>>
File: sits.gif (3MB, 620x620px)
sits.gif
3MB, 620x620px
>>3407850
SitS had some good pixel art
>>
>>3407850
I'm going to need an actual name because that looks beautiful.
>>
>>3409117
What actual name?
>>
>>3407842
Holy shit it took me awhile to realize the image wasn't still loading when I opened that up. I sincerely hope that isn't a real game cause I don't know how the hell anyone would manage to figure out what they're doing.
>>
>>3409060
>Make a game using pixel art
>Can't even stay consistent with the size of the pixels you're using
>>
>>3409069
What is this? Googling that acronym gives nothing.
>>
>>3409060
>getting this mad over someone shitting on terrible art

Did you make the image OP posted?
>>
>>3408863
I'm a "millennial" and think it looks like shit
>>
>>3408841
>just some lazy fucker trying to make a fake-retro game, i bet they want $20 for it.

Funny you should mention that, the full game is literally $20. It's one of those ~episodic~ games and both seasons are $20 total. It's The Last Door, by the way. Some mobile game ported to PC.
>>
File: 2wn9rac.jpg (107KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
2wn9rac.jpg
107KB, 800x450px
>>3409435
Serpent in the Staglands
A RtWP CRPG inspired by Darklands
Their next game is a low poly cyberounk CRPG with stealth mechanics you should look into called Copper Dreams.
>>
>>3407850
Because its Hipster retro art, cashing on games like PHEZ, Cave Story and the Siphian

I made a term for that faux pixel art

HIPSTRO
>>
>>3409117

Here it is your answer

>>3409562
>>
To put your thread back on track, here's arguably the very first survival horror game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgf1c6cj3I
>>
>>3407850
>Also why is modern pixel art so fucking ugly,

I was thinking about this the other day. Project X Zone 1 and 2 for the 3DS has such nice pixel art, but indie stuff tries a bit too hard to be retro. I like stylized stuff like Sword and Sorcery EP though so it might be a matter of taste. Shovel Knight is pretty great too even if it's only 8 bit. My problem is just that they could be even more beautiful with more bits.

Chiptunes are always great though and I don't mind them sticking only to 8bit, but after hearing what can be done with chiptunes and regular instruments like a piano because of Steven Universe I just wish people would be more creative with the retro music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLXOQA6fJC8

Sorry for rambling it's late.
>>
>>3407850
Is the Wonderswan version of Clock Tower any good? I bought a WS on a whim and I've always wanted to play that game but never got around to it.
>>
File: phil-fish.jpg (144KB, 725x406px) Image search: [Google]
phil-fish.jpg
144KB, 725x406px
>>3409060
Yeah, double this. You are an artist and it is your vision. Why should you even bother making it look decent?
They better buy it or else you will hurt yourself, right?
>>
>>3407850
Since graphic is the most time consuming part of making a game, most indie developers prefer to cut it out.
That's why the pixel quality standard has been lowered with time.
>>
>>3409665
>graphic is the most time consuming part of making a game
that itself is a major problem
>>
>>3407859
>But that's the dev's intended aesthetic according to his vision

That's the official explanation from the guys who made Last Door.

The not so official one is that it was easier and cheaper to make.
>>
>>3408113
>Realms of the Haunting
When I played it I thought it was based on a books series.
>>
>>3408113
build engine?
>>
File: ludum dare 33.png (92KB, 960x642px)
ludum dare 33.png
92KB, 960x642px
>>3409060
even flash games made in 48hours (ludum dare) looks better.
and the authors know its a cute trash and don't expect 10 dollars for it

OP pic is a 100 pixel wide piece of lazy trash
>>
>>3409907
>OP pic is a 100 pixel wide piece of lazy trash
most of it is. Inventory text is a different resolution, and at a glance inventory itself seems to be a third one. Probably not grid aligned either
>>
>>3409669
You haven't considered this? It's why aaa games are such shit now. When your graphic/art director has to be an architect more than an illustrator because every fucking building needs a toilet and elevators, it's hard to have a good art direction for all that and monsters and players-- 9/10 of any games budget is going to 3d rendering bathrooms and shit instead of gameplay and art direction that's relevant to gameplay.
>>
>>3410002
>You haven't considered this?
of course I have, that's why I made the post
>>
>>3410008
I guess I should have started my post with >this
>>
>>3407850
There are plenty of modern titles with good pixel art.

Though OP's pic certainly isn't one of them. Too low res for the kinda details they were going for, ending up with something that looks needlessly blurry and painful to look at.
>>
>>3407842

Classic_Sierra_Adventure_From_An_Alternate_Reality_Where_We_Got_More_Colors_But_Not_Higher_Resolutions_So_Everything_Looks_Like_King's_Quest_But_With_More_Colors.Jpeg.gif.exe
>>
>>3410098
Looks about like text mode... Which would be 80 instead of 100.

And even text mode games would use the dithering blocks. This only seems to use the half solid blocks.
>>
>>3409531
You still didn't delete this post huh? Now I'm gonna have to take matters into my own hands.
>>
>>3407842
i liked the graphics in Last Door. It helped how unsettling the story was
>>
Clock Tower (the original and PS1 game, but not the remake or Ghost Head)
Alone in the Dark (the original and maybe The New Nightmare)
Resident Evil (1, 2, and Code: Veronica, Gaiden is actually kinda fun as well)
Silent Hill (1)
Illbleed (tongue-in-cheek)
Carrier
Deep Fear (JP/PAL only)
D and D2
Parasite Eve 1 and 2 (1 is more RPG-ish, 2 is more RE-ish)
Dino Crisis (2 is cool too but not horror)
Echo Night (1 and 2, which has been fan-translated)
Hell Night
Martian Gothic: Unification (doesn't work on emulators for the most part)
Sweet Home (fan-translated)
>>
>>3408263
truth
>>
>>3407850
Because modern indie devs are fucking lazy and too cheap to buy a scanner so they make all their assets in MS paint.
>>
>>3410846
Martian Gothic is the most brutally difficult game I have ever played.
>>
>>3411919
>>3408263
I think the real problem is that instead of real studios with separate art/programming/game panning departments, we have standalone indie shits making games singlehandedly or with 1–2 people they know, because that's the only way they can make profit on low budget.

It's either super big AAA games today or cheap ass Kickstarter/mobile gutter. There's no in-between anymore.
>>
twilight syndrome series on psx are pretty gud if you read japanese
>>
>>3410717
Are you retarded?
>>
>>3411965
>I think the real problem is [...] we have standalone indie shits making games singlehandedly

no, just check any flash games from the past fraking 20 years of macrrmedia flash, and what any casual nerd did on their freetime.

theres no problem, today a single person could make a snes of even psx mega-zeldavania, theres no problem, just lazyfucks from the same generation that spawned other moron that dreams of making a living just shooting videos from their computer seat talking about absolutely nothing of interest or new.

and i thought that my high school colleagues back then were dumb for thinking that investing time in sports was a good bet.
>>
File: Nightgaunt_image.jpg (38KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Nightgaunt_image.jpg
38KB, 320x240px
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.