[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: dk64.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dk64.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
What went wrong?
>>
>>3406673
too many bananas
>>
>>3406675
I think the sheer amount of collectables is the least of its problems. I wouldn't mind collecting so much shit if the levels weren't big for the sake of being big and completely uninteresting, and you didn't have to change characters and backtrack frequently.
>>
Nothing.
>>
File: prick.png (277KB, 297x317px) Image search: [Google]
prick.png
277KB, 297x317px
>>3406673
Honestly, the whole collect-a-thon thing never bothered me, but what I didn't like was having to play those bonus stages so many times. Also, this asshole.
>>
>>3406673
Poor level design, too many minigames.

Conker > Kazooie > Tooie > DK64
>>
>>3406673

absolutely nothing
>>
>>3406680
>levels that just feel like giant, uninteresting versions of banjo-kazooie's levels
>repetitive "bonus" games that range from semi-fun to frustratingly broken
>most of the game is boringly easy, except for the occasional difficulty spikes like >>3406681

the worst thing about this game is that it very rarely surprises you. It's rote and routine. You're doing the same things in the final level that you did in the first level.
>walk down oversized hallway with trail of bananas
>find character specific barrel, pad, button
>find change barrel and come back with said character
>use ability in obvious way to get golden banana
>repeat forever
>>
>>3406690
>Conker > Kazooie > Tooie > DK64

I'd rank them in the exact opposite order
>>
>>3406709
You must be a fan of bloated, insipid maps and backtracking out the ass.
>>
Reminder that "collect-a-thon" is a buzzword and is not, in and of itself, a valid argument against the game. If you don't want to 100% the game by collecting everything, then don't. You don't have to collect everything if you don't want.

To answer the OP, DK64 is a great game. It is not, however, without fault.

As
>>3406678
pointed out, the backtracking is a bit much as you have to go back through the same area with each Kong to get their specific bananas. That's a bit much. Also,
>>3406707
is correct in saying that the game doesn't really evolve as you progress through it. The levels are somewhat uninspired and you progress through each level in almost the same way. The game should have done more to challenge you in later levels
>>
>>3406805
collect-a-thon is a term used for games that focus too much on collecting. mario 64 is an acceptable where it is fine, but B&K have it where you need notes to pass to the next levels and it becomes more tedious. It's not used as an argument, but a way to describe a game.
>>
Collectathons... were a mistake.

t. action-platformer fan
>>
>>3406816
Exactly. It's a way to describe games.

I'm just saying that because I know how these threads play out. Whenever someone asks what was wrong with DK64, or they mention that they think that DK64 is a good game, it's usually met with cries of "HURR COLLECT-A-THON SHIT GAME" as if being a collect-a-thon instantly makes it a bad game.
>>
Amazing theme song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yZ7_enlWA
>>
>>3406673
Nothing went wrong. It's a fantastic game. It received widespread critical and audience acclaim for a reason.
>>
Play the multiplayer. I never even went near single player because the multiplayer was too much fun
>>
It's the third best game on the 64.
>>
>>3406690
This. Most of what you do in DK64 is minigames that are recycled throughout the rest of the game, which is really sad considering the potential of what could be done on the console.

The gameplay should have focused way more on the player interacting with the environment, and accomplishing goals that were unique to the theme of a level. Instead, it recycles minigames and there fails to be much variety, especially towards the end of the game.
>>
File: donkeywang18.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
donkeywang18.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
>>3406673
its an amazing game but there's too much shit to collect and too much backtracking. having to explore every corner of a world 5 times can be repetitive. it also doesn't help that majority of the golden bananas are from character specific context sensitive powers.

seeing the same minigames repeated in later worlds is a bit of a downer too, but i can understand wanting a harder version of a minigame.
>>
>>3406673
nothing, which is why im not bumping your bait thread
>>
I have it on Virtual Console and I swear the controller feels backwards. Is it that bad on the actual console? I just wanted a fun 3d platformer to try out...
>>
File: ooplah.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
ooplah.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
>>3407284
HE

>>3406680
>>3406706
>>3407295
>>3407593
good job guys, you really changed my mind with those hot opinions. Seriously though, if you could put a little more effort into your posts instead of "NOTHING REEEEEEEEEEEEE" it would be very much appreciated. This isn't /v/ afterall
>>
>>3406673
DK64 is a solid 7.5/10 game. It isn't as good as the Banjo games, but it's still fun enough.

It used to be overrated, but now hating on it has become such a meme that I think it's actually underrated now.
>>
>>3409121

if you're looking for serious discussion in a "what went wrong" thread, you're not going to find it. OP sets the tone for the thread.
>>
>>3409159
There's plenty of serious posts ITT, so either join in or fuck off
>>
>>3406837

Well I agree that being a collectahon doesn't make a game bad, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a bad collectathon.

You're collecting for the sale of collecting and that doesn't make it terribly engaging
>>
>>3409183
>You're collecting for the sale of collecting

>shooting for the sake of shooting
>role playing for the sake of role playing
>strategy for the sake of strategy

Seriously, any game can be broken down to this stupidity.
>>
>>3409136

Don't know where the hate and weird memes came from. Monkey Rap was funny. The fact that you had to collect 500 bananas with 5 different character per huge level is not funny though.
>>
>>3409476
>The fact that you had to collect 500 bananas with 5 different character per huge level is not funny though.

nothing forces you to collect every single banana
>>
Frame rate, bugs and generally rushed development. It's a shame they never really took another shot at 3d donkey kong.
>>
>>3406673
They made collectables character locked, instead of allowing any character as long as level design allowed. Made for very tedious situations, where you'll have to repeatedly visit the same rooms with different kongs just to grab fucking bananas.
>>
>>3409487
You still need a lot of them to fight bosses.
>>
Being able to change characters whenever would make the game 3x better
>>
>>3409476
The rage come from the fact, that it is also the sequel of country games. Those games are all mythic. So you pass DK saga from a monument of 2D platformer games to a 3D copy of BK in less good.

Also sorry if it hurt you but, all the new kongs can't compete with DK, Diddy and Dixie. And DK rap was ridiculous.
Talking to music, no music in DK64 reach the beauty of those from DK 1 & 2.
>>
>>3409121
>YOU'RE NOT CONVINCING ME TO LIKE SOMETHING I ALREADY HATE! /VR/ IS SHIT NOW
>>
>>3409469

Congrats on missing the forest through the trees. Other games having similar issues does not excuse this one.
>>
>>3409621
where in this thread has anyone said they hate the game? Pointing out a game's flaws =/= hating said game.
>>
>>3409469
Shooting for an objective to advance in the game opposed to collecting because there are things to collect for some reason
>>
>>3407414
There must only be 2 good games on the n64 then
>>
I just beat this game 101%. The final battle was great, if they had put the same amount of effort into the rest of the game then it would be a 10/10 for sure. As it is, DK64 is a decent game with some terrible design decisions that lead me to believe that Rare was more focused on Banjo-Tooie and this game suffered as a result

Oh well, at least we'll always have lankyposting
>>
>>3406710

Banjo Tooie and DK64 both suffer from this imo
>>
the DKC series was known for fast, tight platforming

DK64 came out when 3D platformers were taking their first awkward babby steps
>>
>>3411287
>DK64 came out when 3D platformers were taking their first awkward babby steps

that's not true.
>>
>>3406673
While it's never been officially stated, I like to think it's because Rare's top talent was preoccupied with stuff like Conker, Perfect Dark, and Dinosaur Planet. As a result they probably just decided to phone in another collect-a-thon with DK64
>>
>>3411378
Insightful post.
>>
>>3411381
It came out in 1999. There were 3 years in between Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 and many 3D platformers in between. "Awkward baby steps" isn't an excuse.
>>
>>3406673

It was a great game when I played it at the time and I have fond memories of it. However, recent replaying has really made this backtracking thing very apparent, and where this just meant more playtime = more good back in the day, it became very tedious very quickly.

That said, it's still fun to play. I usually like pretty much all the minigames, and up until the last characters it feels really quite natural. My biggest annoyances were the two elusive bananas hidden in the NES minigames, which annoyed the hell out of me at the time.
>>
>>3411874
that whole generation was awkward 3d platformers

they didnt really come into their own until the gcn/ps2/xbox gen
>>
>>3412192

I don't think there is any difference from 5th to 6th gen platformers other than graphics. In fact, people remember more the ones from 5th gen than those of 6th gen, and for good reason.

6th gen was the generation of GTA 3/Vice City kinda games.
>>
>>3407284
>Comments are disabled for this video.
>>
File: absolutelyWHY.jpg (121KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelyWHY.jpg
121KB, 600x450px
>>3413019
>>
>>3413037
>>3413019
>thumbs up if you're still listening to this in 2016
>>
CG
>>
>>3413037
because OP of the video can't handle the arguments and decides to be an hero and shut down the comments
>>
>>3414703
It's a video for a song that's become a meme. The comments are most likely going to be cancerous meme comments, and not arguments.
>>
>>3406673
Fact: Rare was never a competent developer.
>>
File: Fungiforest.jpg (60KB, 614x453px) Image search: [Google]
Fungiforest.jpg
60KB, 614x453px
While I love Donkey Kong 64 - It's one of my favorite games of all time - I can understand the hate. It had gigantic worlds with lots of things to collect and then forces you to play the same annoying mini-games over and over. If you lack patience to backtrack, search for bananas, coins, blueprints, explore and isn't impressed by the visuals, this collectathon isn't for you.

If these "chores" don't scare you and you love, REALLY LOVE, this kind of platformer, then, DK64 is a great acquisition for a N64 collection.
>>
>>3414862
>Fact
K
>>
Nothing went wrong, it's a great game and one of my favourite games ever as well. It seems some people don't like the backtracking, but that's what I actually like a lot. I like getting to know a level and having to really look around and think where the bananas might be, not being shuttled through a game where you see every location once and have arrows pointing the way.
>>
>>3410143
Is there some alternate non-english language where this post makes sense as a counterpoint to his post?
>>
>>3415321
There's some non english language where I can call you a faggot, but I'll just stick to calling you a faggot.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.