[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone tried building a MAME/ arcade cabinet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

Has anyone tried building a MAME/ arcade cabinet?
>>
File: teaserbox_4093660938.jpg (57KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
teaserbox_4093660938.jpg
57KB, 900x675px
Op here- I've been pricing it out and doing the research. Think I'm going to start with something like pic related to get the hang of things
>>
yes.
>>
Is the hyperspin a good system to organize your arcade games?
>>
>>3403094
So tell us
>>
>>3403078
>building a bar top machine to get the hang of things

Literally the only difference between one of those and a full sized cabinet is the amount of wood you'll need, right?
>>
>>3403303
Yes? I'd be using the same wiring internally. Both would be running a retropie
>>
>>3403303

Mostly. You also run into issues like wanting to mimic a specific cabinet design (Midway cabs, Capcom SF Cabs, Konami 4P cabs or american generic cabs) so building a little bartop gets you some experience with cutting out the patterns and shit.
>>
>>3403078
>Not building the a gaming behemoth with 50000+ games

https://youtu.be/VRMqEJhPYxs
>>
>>3403586
get this normie bullshit outta here
>>
>>3403586
70% of the sticks are useless, specially the wheel, how are you supposed to play on that clusterfuck?

The tilting screen was amazing, but I bet my ass that all the emulated consoles are stretched and look like ass.
>>
File: voila4[1].jpg (31KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
voila4[1].jpg
31KB, 500x333px
I have actually, how do you like it?
>>
>>3403624
My grandfather was a carpenter and he'll be very angry at you, besides that, it looks great, isn't it a little too low?
>>
>>3403586
I don't think you understand how retropie works
>>
>>3403586
bigass LCD instead of CRT

looks nice but do you want lag
>>
>>3403624
Can you post a pic from a lower or side angle? Kinda hard to tell how tall the TV is relative to the table and the angle it's at.

Like the other anon alluded to, it's not the best looking thing but it's pretty damn cool.
>>
I did once.
I am embarrassed by it now cause i was so hyped at the time.

If i did one now it would be more covert
>>
I've done most of one. I got the controller built and working, and the arcade machine assembled, and I put a TV in, and configured a PC to boot directly into GameEx and set up a few hundred good mame games on there, but after all that I sort of lost interest. It wasn't that I didn't want it anymore; rather it was that I had made the mistake of making it functional. Once the games could be played, I didn't care about artwork, marquee, monitor bezel, user instructions, etc. and I just stopped caring. Then I stopped playing after a while, took the TV out, and now I use it as my retro telly. The control panel and computer are still here and working, I'm just not interested in getting it back up and running again.
>>
>>3403586
Why would you play Might and Magic 3 on a cabinet
>>
>>3403586
>two spinners

so you can play pong and 2-player warlords? Seems a bit unusual IMO.
>>
File: 1456087551157.jpg (108KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1456087551157.jpg
108KB, 500x375px
>>3403956
Embarrassed?
Explain
>>
>>3403073
I just opted out with a RasberryPI 3B running Retropie. I just have it hooked up to my TV using a PS3 controller via bluetooth, but you can apparently hook up sticks via a modular board you can hook up to the PI.
It draws almost no power either, which is a plus.
It's strong enough to handle most MAME games. Hell, I got it to play Dreamcast and PSP games at one point(requires proper cooling and overclock).
It's only 30 bucks and worth every penny.
Perfect for retrofits like us.
>>
>>3404559
Read the thread. The cabinet would be running a Pi3 with retropie
>>
ITT: Nary a single 15khz RGB CRT
>>
>>3403073
I've never made a mame cabinet, and probably won't anytime soon since I just made an nes rpi build that does all the mame games (I actually prefer FBA cause it's more plug n play on the pi than mame), but I had one question about these out of curiosity - do you have to rig up the joystick and buttons yourself and wire them to the GPIO, or do they make complete stick+button combos that simply plug into a single usb slot (like any other wired controllers would)?
>>
>>3406260
You mean USB arcade sticks? Yes. They make those.
>>
>>3406350
Is it possible to make them look good attached to an actual arcade cabinet, or do they usually weird compared to actually setting each button and the joystick in wood?
>>
>>3406260
My plan is to set the stick and buttons into the cab control panel itself. Not removable. Then wire those into an IPAC which would be usb into the pi
>>
>>3406414
Sounds rad. Post pics to document the process if you want, I for one would like to see it
>>
File: 230_3065-1.jpg (112KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
230_3065-1.jpg
112KB, 1024x768px
Yes. It was cool for a few weeks, then pretty much this >>3403965 is what happened. For anyone thinking about building one, have a mission plan in advance. Choose your favorite <200 games and design the cabinet hardware and side graphics (if applicable) around that. Don't just throw a torrent of games into it, nobody wants to play fucking 20 versions of SFII, or Gamegear games.
>>
>>3407101
This is how most people view an arcade cabinet.

If you don't love the machine, you probably don't need one. It's way more economical and space efficient to get a couple of sticks than it is to build a cabinet.

A cabinet is huge. It's basically a fridge in your game room that you need to place well.

They can be a detriment to your rooms layout very easily and very quickly. They're a cool thing to have for sure, but if you're not using it at least once a month it's a waste of space.

I would never build a mame cab. But I like official arcade stuff so I settled on a Neo-Geo because it is inherently multi-game. Then from there you can expand into Jamma boards, and potentially some other things like Capcom CPS2 boards if you do a little bit of modding or fucking about with the control panel.

I would strongly suggest anyone who wants to get into arcade hardware to simply buy a fucking supergun, especially if you want Neo-Geo stuff. Since a consolized MVS costs about the same as a SuperGun + MVS board.

These mame cabs that run a million games from Arcade, to NES and SNES, Turbo Graphics and even PS1 and N64 are fucking. retarded. It messes with the control panel to the point where theres a million buttons on the damn thing.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.