[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overrated Garbage or Brilliant Masterpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: einhander-boxart.jpg (28KB, 355x352px) Image search: [Google]
einhander-boxart.jpg
28KB, 355x352px
Overrated Garbage or Brilliant Masterpiece?
>>
Not quite garbage, but definitely way overrated thanks to Square nostalgia. It was a decent first attempt from them at the genre, but it's still nowhere near the quality of other STGs made from veteran designers from the same time period.
>>
File: einhander_with_weapons.jpg (38KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
einhander_with_weapons.jpg
38KB, 500x354px
>>3402824
Still one of the most fun shooters for me.

But I honestly don't know many outside the popular ones.
>>
File: Thunder_Force_Rynex_HQ.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Thunder_Force_Rynex_HQ.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
>>3402824
>other STGs made from veteran designers from the same time period
Got some pointers? Getting into these again.
>>
>>3402824
Aesthetic masterpiece. Mileage varies on gameplay (i personally love it), but this game is all about the beautiful visuals, the badass setting, the awesome music, and the super-smooth framerate.
>>
>>3402856

DoDonPachi
Gradius Gaiden
G-Darius
R-Type Δ
The Raiden Project
Raiden DX
RayStorm
RayCrisis
Strikers 1945/II

These are just off the top of my head, that happen to be available for the PSX. There are tons more if you dig deeper into MAME available stuff. Check System16.com for a sizeable arcade database.
>>
>>3402824
trash
>>
>>3402882
PSX will do fine, just looking for PSP compatible stuff.

Thanks though.
>>
>>3402824
I didn't care for it, but I don't consider myself well-versed enough in the genre to really gauge its quality. I haven't found too many shmups I've enjoyed outside of G-Darius and the R-Type series.
>>
Apparently a few ex-Konami developers worked on Einhander:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,55611/

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,87199/
>>
It's one of my favorite shooters. Love the graphics and the visual construction of the stage design, though sometimes they feel a little lackluster in terms of actual gameplay. Love the weapon options and the overall control feel of the game.
>>
Unique mechanics including speed change, alternative combat using your ships components, such as being able to tear our enemy weapons from their ships, penetrate their armor by physically punching the manipulating arm through it, you can even rip the cores out of foes to kill them instantly. Certain parts of your ship can absorb damage, you can swing weapons to absorb/curb and mitigate damage, using larger weapons as makeshift shields and even your rear boosters can be fired up during speed change to scorch foes behind you.

Each and every weapon/gunpod has a unique synergy with the mechanics of one of the three ships, the energy blade for example having a special move if activated and swung with a certain model of ship, acting as a jousting lance with another.

The setting itself is rich with fleshed out art and setting using a show but don't tell method to deliver the world to you during your play.

The levels themselves have secret new sections such as destroying a bosses levitation device causes him to fall into the street below, punching a hole in the road to reveal a lower city section underground that existed before some sort of great war, but had since been built over, you ascend back up via a deactivated ICBM.

The music is fucking amazing too.

The bosses themselves can be picked apart and even vary based on how you tackle the level - for example you can drop a foe into a nuclear rod storage area at the right moment to send the base critical, when the boss emerges later, he will be scorched from the fires in the base and have a new section of attacks.

Bosses can even be no-shotted by surviving their barrages long enough that they eventually run out of power and deactivate after berserk if you can manage to survive for upwards of 10 minutes.
>>
>>3403109
>The bosses themselves can be picked apart and even vary based on how you tackle the level - for example you can drop a foe into a nuclear rod storage area at the right moment to send the base critical, when the boss emerges later, he will be scorched from the fires in the base and have a new section of attacks.
For which one is this?
>>
>>3403119
The fourth boss, if you get the third secret you basically make things explode, and the boss will appear to be damaged, which instantly skips his first phase, which is 100% bullshit
>>
brilliant garbagepiece
>>
>>3402824

It was a fun shooter.
>>
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece, but it's a very good game. A strong candidate for best game on the PS1.
>>
>>3402824
Brilliant game, love it.
>>
>>3403109
Nice breakdown, Anon. Einhander is fantastic. Good story for a shooter as well. Right up there with Borderdown.
>>
>>3402824
One of, if not the best console-exclusive shmup.
>>
>>3402824
One of the few shmups with checkpoints that I love.
>>
Slightly overrated but not as much as to warrant hate from shitposters, as of yet at least.

Love the OST.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.